Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brittish Soldier killed 7 hours after he gets back from Afghan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Biggins wrote: »
    We will have to wait for the medical report on that one but it must have been a hell of a punch to put him down ...

It doesn't have to be a powerful punch to knock someone down. In fact it doesn't have to be powerful to knock someone out, Most likely it was a cheap shot from one of the attackers.
    Anyhoo, it says he received the serious injuries when he hit the ground, just unlucky in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

digme wrote: »
    THEY SHOULDN'T BE OVER THERE.Or do you believe they are there to capture the nooooklar bombs that osama has in his cave hideout....

THEY don't have the call on whether they're there or not. That's much furhter up the scale, if they refuse to go? Charged and given a prison sentence.

You do realise they're over there essentially liberating people from a totalitarian group hell bent on enforcing Sharia law and restricting womens rights?

You go on about them like everyone of them is scumbag ruining the lives of free people, who already had it good before 2001 invasion. If you're in such a position to comment on people, what have you done for the less fortunate? Who's life have you changed, who have you freed from a horrible lifestlye?

My money is on that you've done **** all for anyone else other than yourself in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Biggins wrote: »
    Nice idea but not going to happen.
    * Thats like saying Fianna Fail should clean up their own act before they should ever govern and preach...
    * Thats like saying Rome should be all cleansed of its sins before attempting to "cry from the pulpit" to the rest of us supposed lower mortals!

Nice idea but sadly we all know better...

yeah my bad for hoping for a non-ironic world.i'll know better next time and just keep my mouth shut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

RMD wrote: »
    THEY don't have the call on whether they're there or not. That's much furhter up the scale, if they refuse to go? Charged and given a prison sentence.

You do realise they're over there essentially liberating people from a totalitarian group hell bent on enforcing Sharia law and restricting womens rights?
    You join the military to defend your country,that's the whole point of having one.If your 22 and you joined the army in this day and age your a complete twat and more than likely a BIT slow in the head,,as you know what they are doing is wrong and your not going to be doing anything for your country in terms of defending it.

Liberating is not what they are there for.They are building a huge trans asian pipeline,and they are looting the country of many of their natural resources,they also have 100's of bases to keep china in checlk alogn with russia.Don't be so dam naive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

smurgen wrote: »
    yeah my bad for hoping for a non-ironic world.i'll know better next time and just keep my mouth shut
    I wasn't having a go at yourself in any way. :)

Sadly just hinting that we still live in an imperfect world.
    The best we can do is try and cope within it.

• Advertisement

RMD wrote: »

You go on about them like everyone of them is scumbag ruining the lives of free people, who already had it good before 2001 invasion. If you're in such a position to comment on people, what have you done for the less fortunate? Who's life have you changed, who have you freed from a horrible lifestlye?

My money is on that you've done **** all for anyone else other than yourself in life.
    So naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You join the military to defend your country,that's the whole point of having one.If your 22 and you joined the army in this day and age your a complete twat and more than likely a BIT slow in the head,,as you know what they are doing is wrong and your not going to be doing anything for your country in terms of defending it.

Liberating is not what they are there for.They are building a huge trans asian pipeline,and they are looting the country of many of their natural resources,they also have 100's of bases to keep china in checlk alogn with russia.Don't be so dam naive.

Maybe you should copy and paste this on the Military forum, soo who agrees with you.

The US and the UK didn't decide on this war, the UN did (and the motion FWIW was voted in favour of by the Irish government).

There are 42 nations involved with the operations, including Ireland. If you have a problem with the war, lobby your TD, or better still, do us all a favour and join the Taliban, if you have the balls (which I somehow seriously doubt).

Maybe you should copy and paste this on the Military forum, soo who agrees with you.

The US and the UK didn't decide on this war, the UN did (and the motion FWIW was voted in favour of by the Irish government).

There are 42 nations involved with the operations, including Ireland. If you have a problem with the war, lobby your TD, or better still, do us all a favour and join the Taliban, if you have the balls (which I somehow seriously doubt).
    You don't understand how the un works do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Send them into gangland limerick...

.....wherever the hell that is :rolleyes:

As for the original post, I've mixed feelings.......I'm definitely sorry for his family, and the fact is that he was only following orders, but the Brits and American shouldn't have invaded Iraq in the first place, and the soldiers who had ethics should have refused to go, so there's an element of karma in there somewhere too.

There's a family in mourning in Britain, and they have my sympathies.

There are also thousands of families in mourning in Iraq.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's somewhat amusing being a fly on the wall on these threads. I'm always curious to know if some of the things posted here would be said to my face at a Boards Beers.

We would occasionally crack jokes about how Afghanistan is statistically safer for Americans than the US is. (It is, believe it or not.). All 750 of us in our unit came back alive last month (though a couple of feet were missing, and a few other breaks and perforations). On his second day back on his civilian job (Sheriff's Deputy) one of our troopers was shot and killed by some guy who was just generally pissed off with the world. If he were killed by insurgents, so be it, but the irony is not lost on us.

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=12385835
    and the soldiers who had ethics should have refused to go
    !?

My ethics state that if I give my word on something, then I'll do it. That includes following all legal orders from my chain of command.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You don't understand how the un works do you?

And of course, you do I suppose.

I'm still trying to work out if you are a troll, or if you actually believe the crap you are posting.

Actually, you join the military to carry out national policy. Exactly when that is is left up to the elected representatives. It can be the Russians paratrooping in the skies over Denver, or Serbs trying to do some ethnic cleansing in Kosovo, or conducting rescue ops in Haiti, or even invading Afghanistan.

Your conclusion that one should 'know' what one is doing is wrong is, I would say, questionable. I've been doing this for almost ten years now, and have no regrets.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

It's somewhat amusing being a fly on the wall on these threads. I'm always curious to know if some of the things posted here would be said to my face at a Boards Beers.

Thanks Manic Moran

I am sorry that some people forget that a Man died today and his friends and family are hurting. Boards is good fun but people should be careful what they put into the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

And of course, you do I suppose.

I'm still trying to work out if you are a troll, or if you actually believe the crap you are posting.

We've finally discovered the identity of that mysterious guy down the pub, the fount of human knowledge.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

padi89 wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be a powerful punch to knock someone down. In fact it doesn't have to be powerful to knock someone out, Most likely it was a cheap shot from one of the attackers.
    Anyhoo, it says he received the serious injuries when he hit the ground, just unlucky in a bad way.

The soldier could have called the "attacker" a prick and it might not have been a cheap shot at all. We'll all assume

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Is it an actual fighting force or just advisors ?

Neither, really. They're working as desk jockeys. Being productive and contributing, but more there for the dual purposes of showing the flag and learning the realities of modern conflict operations. The Irish military doesn't get many opportunities to learn in such areas.
    Winty wrote: »
    Thanks Manic Moran

I am sorry that some people forget that a Man died today and his friends and family are hurting. Boards is good fun but people should be careful what they put into the public domain.

Actually, I meant more because I'm apparently one of the dumb evil oppressors, or whatever ISAF soldiers are being categorised as.

NTM

Actually, I meant more because I'm apparently one of the dumb evil oppressors, or whatever ISAF soldiers are being categorised as.

What is "ISAF" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    What is "ISAF" ?

International Security Assistance Force.

The soldier could have called the "attacker" a prick and it might not have been a cheap shot at all. We'll all assume
    The attacker could also have been acting like a normal drunk lout and calling out the soldier "come on... come on... soldier boy..." (wouldn't be first time) - we just don't know either - what we do know is the soldier didn't lay a finger on the attacker and the attacker struck him, bringing about his death.

Hopefully there was a witness or two and all will emerge at the attackers trial.

International Security Assistance Force.

Thanks for that. Never heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

THEY SHOULDN'T BE OVER THERE.Or do you believe they are there to capture the nooooklar bombs that osama has in his cave hideout....
    You don't even understand why Afghanistan was invaded do you?

You've a lot of nerve, acting like the moral authority when you don't have a clue about what you're moralising.

I'd be amazed to see how Afghanistan would be today if the Taliban were allowed their way.

There are 42 nations involved with the operations, including Ireland.

Hold on a second! I thought we were supposed to be neutral ?
    If you have a problem with the war, lobby your TD, or better still, do us all a favour and join the Taliban, if you have the balls (which I somehow seriously doubt).

That's a disgusting and pretty pathetic comment, tbh. Being anti-war does not mean that you support the opposing "side" (assuming, that is, that the default assumption is that the entire western society should back any side at all).

...I'd be amazed to see how Afghanistan would be today if the Taliban were allowed their way.
    The worse of the dark ages comes to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

We are non-aligned,not neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MrsToad

He could of been the soundest fella around,IRregardless of nationality,If your stupid enough to go there and work for a corporation, then your an idiot plain and simple

You're an idiot plain and simple.

Is what I think you mean.

And don't get me started on "IRregardless".

We are non-aligned,not neutral.

I have never, ever heard the phrase "non-aligned" used.

I have, however, heard the phrase "neutrality" used a lot.

Mind you, our "neutrality" was sold down the swannee as soon as FF allowed the Americans to (ab)use Shannon Airport in their manufactured war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

After reading the last paragraph there, I've decided there's no point in arguing with you, you're so far away in the clouds with your conspiracy theory buddies I doubt you'll be seeing much sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The idea that a young soldier comes back from a war zone only to be brutally killed a few hrs later by some scumbag in his own neck of the woods beggers belief .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

I'd be amazed to see how Afghanistan would be today if the Taliban were allowed their way.

Does anyone on the board have experience of living there as a citizen now? I can't imagine it's a great quality of life. Don't think any of us are qualified to say.

Do I feel sorry that a family has lost their father/son/brother? Yes.

Do i like the way in the last few years that soldiers have been elevated to hero status by the media? No. There has to be more to this?

Only started reading the after hours section on boards.ie but there are some twists in most the debates. Good stuff all the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

AFAIK Irish troops are allowed take part in operations with a UN mandate.

Anyway i think its shameful to see people on here gloating over the tragic death of a young man purely based on his career. Typical keyboard warriors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement