Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan may pick robots over immigrants

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Incidentally, I should have mentioned that all 'insults' were directed from the older Japanese demograph. Sorry about that. The younger generation was quite the opposite in fact. I chat to a few, and they seem mesmorised by foreign folk
    They all want to be white too,or black.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gurgle wrote: »

You guys planning to comment on the technology?

Do I need to?

sigh...

Japans communication and infrastructure is far superior to any other city in the world. I was completely blown away. New York and all that have a great infrastructure, but Tokyo's system was mind-numbing.

They are the pioneers of technology. They preview the tech of the future to the public (when I was there, we were in a 'mood' room at an exhibit in Odaiba, that's only gone on sale recently in USA afaik)

It's true that most technology these days are released simulatneously world-wide (bar Japan), truth is Japan has been and will be at least a year ahead of us in terms of technology. They strive for it

Do I need to?

sigh...

Japans communication and infrastructure is far superior to any other city in the world. I was completely blown away. New York and all that have a great infrastructure, but Tokyo's system was mind-numbing.

They are the pioneers of technology. They preview the tech of the future to the public (when I was there, we were in a 'mood' room at an exhibit in Odaiba, that's only gone on sale recently in USA afaik)

It's true that most technology these days are released simulatneously world-wide (bar Japan), truth is Japan has been and will be at least a year ahead of us in terms of technology. They strive for it
    funny you mention that do you think that it is a inherently a japanese thing,or do you feel that if a foreigner came to japan they would have done it as they are now living in on the island called japan?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

digme wrote: »
    funny you mention that do you think that it is a inherently a japanese thing,or do you feel that if a foreigner came to japan they would have done it as they are now living in on the island called japan?

Nah man not just a Japanese thing. It's just how countries have developed. Japan is the capital of technology, you can't argue against it. It didn't happen by chance, a lot of investment went in and they got their dividends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Ya, the Island itself has special powers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nah man not just a Japanese thing. It's just how countries have developed. Japan is the capital of technology, you can't argue against it. It didn't happen by chance, a lot of investment went in and they got their dividends
    But as a people do you think they are that way inclined?Very curious perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I would say that Japan has lost its crown to South Korea in terms of new technology and investment.

In terms of infrastructure: their train network is second to none, and they have excellent broadband speeds in most populated areas. Their road network is pants, their cellphone networks are crippled, and their sewage systems are completely overloaded - walking around Osaka or Tokyo on a hot day will tell you that!

One thing that's often overlooked in Japan is the huge technology gap between the big cities and rural Japan. It can be like time travelling. Tokyo has the wonderful multi-storey car parks with automatic lifts for cars and bikes, you can pay at a vending machine by swiping your phone, watch television on your mobile phone, do your shopping on a man-made island and poo in a toilet with a heated seat that washes your bum for you. In many ways, it is like the future.

Go out to the countryside, and it's like going back to the middle ages. People living in shacks, no mobile coverage, no internet, no traffic lights, ****ting in a glorified hole in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Infrastructure?
    A bit generic, do you mean the trains? roads? busses? traffic lights? broadband? big screens outside train stations?
    They have some high tech companies, nothing special these days. Sure, they're ahead of the game in robotics, behind the times in automotive, on-par for semiconductors / electronics, not even at the races in aerospace.
    Again, what stuff have they got in service / for sale thats ahead of the rest of the developed world?

I would say that Japan has lost its crown to South Korea in terms of new technology and investment.

In terms of infrastructure: their train network is second to none, and they have excellent broadband speeds in most populated areas. Their road network is pants, their cellphone networks are crippled, and their sewage systems are completely overloaded - walking around Osaka or Tokyo on a hot day will tell you that!

One thing that's often overlooked in Japan is the huge technology gap between the big cities and rural Japan. It can be like time travelling. Tokyo has the wonderful multi-storey car parks with automatic lifts for cars and bikes, you can pay at a vending machine by swiping your phone, watch television on your mobile phone, do your shopping on a man-made island and poo in a toilet with a heated seat that washes your bum for you. In many ways, it is like the future.

Go out to the countryside, and it's like going back to the middle ages. People living in shacks, no mobile coverage, no internet, no traffic lights, ****ting in a glorified hole in the ground.

I suggest you check out the Demographs for rural South Korea in that case. A majority of the country's land is poor, even with supposed 'government assistance'

Also: http://www.colnevalleyfibre.net/node/26

I had a friend living in the countryside in Japan for a number of years. He had the pleasure of 10mb broadband at an extremely cheap price, and he lived within a valley for christs sake :rolleyes:

@Gurgle, infrastructure in all areas, since when are European/US car manufacturers superior to the Japanese automobile industry? There was a few hitches in recent times, yes, but they still have the best safety records etc.. And also, I suggest you check out the Japanese Ministry of Defence and it's involvments in Aerospace. It's GDP % of the overall economy is quite large.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I've lived in Japan for years, and never been called - or head anybody being called - a Western devil or American dirt. If the Japanese are racist, it's not in an overt or spiteful way. The most harmful insult you'll get is baka gaijin, "stupid foreigner".

Racism and xenophobia tends to manifest itself in other ways: no foreigners allowed in the public baths, being stopped and questioned by police, or being followed in the supermarket by old women or young kids. Even from the ultra-national right wing whackos, you never get nasty comments to the extent described. Maybe around the US bases in Okinawa, but that's not really Japan, eh?

It's apparently a country where you can be barred from somewhere for life in the most polite, smiley manner imaginable (thats anecdotal and secondhand of course).

• Advertisement

I suggest you check out the Demographs for rural South Korea in that case. A majority of the country's land is poor, even with supposed 'government assistance'

My point about Korea leading the way in many technological fields and the technology gap between rich and poor were two separate points. in the last decade, Korea has surpassed Japan in terms of new technology and innovation. I don't really think that point can be disputed.

Frankly, I know little about the technology gap between rich and poor in Korea, but I'd agree that it probably is more pronounced than in Japan, as Japan in turn is with Western Europe. I'd say it's a key trait of quickly growing economies (like Japan was and Korea is).

I had a friend living in the countryside in Japan for a number of years. He had the pleasure of 10mb broadband at an extremely cheap price, and he lived within a valley for christs sake :rolleyes:

Anecdotal evidence only gets you so far, but I've only recently returned from living in Chugoku, I've visited friends in the remotest parts of Shikoku and Tohoku, and some places make Ireland's ballygobackwards look like a metropolis. Japan may have affordable fibre connections in cities, but it's a pretty steep drop-off as you move out towards the boondocks.

Japan has, perhaps rightfully, concentrated their infrastructure on the cities. That's why tourists leave with an amazing impression of Japan. That's also why when you visit places like Aomori-ken, you literally might not see a young person for days - they've all left, because there's nothing there.

Anecdotal evidence only gets you so far, but I've only recently returned from living in Chugoku, I've visited friends in the remotest parts of Shikoku and Tohoku, and some places make Ireland's ballygobackwards look like a metropolis. Japan may have affordable fibre connections in cities, but it's a pretty steep drop-off as you move out towards the boondocks.

Japan has, perhaps rightfully, concentrated their infrastructure on the cities. That's why tourists leave with an amazing impression of Japan. That's also why when you visit places like Aomori-ken, you literally might not see a young person for days - they've all left, because there's nothing there.

I think it can be safe to say that even the most advanced nations have some form of infrastructure 'scatter'

Yep, but I would assert that it's more pronounced than in the Ireland, UK, France or Germany, for example. And that's an interesting angle to the notion that Japan is the land of technology, an angle which is rarely given a lot of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

biko wrote: »
    Japanese are fervently racist. As are Saudi Arabians.

Whereas Irish people make sweeping generalisations...................:pac:

biko wrote: »
    There's a good blog here about being a black American in Japan in case anyone is interested.

Anyway, if someone can make this whole robots thing actually work it's the Japanese. They're very far along when it comes to technology. Japan leads the world in building robots, and the bots show remarkable skill. Honda’s famous android, Asimo, has served tea, conducted the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and freaked-out James May of the BBC program Top Gear. Toyota’s robots have even played the violin and the trumpet.

RE: The black guy being compared to Bob Sapp, I think the problem there is that to them we all look the same. I'm not sure how rare a black person is in Japan but I've heard lots of white people talk about being compared to celebrities who they look nothing like.

I just so happens that Sapp played a beast of a fighter character. All that stuff about the ads where Sapp makes mistakes in speaking Japanese/etiquette etc, come on, how many ads/characters in films do we have where foreigners - a lot of them japanese - are made fools of by their inability to fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Japanese are good at applied science but I wouldn't consider them the world leaders in technology. That's the USA. Ireland probably even beats them at a per capita level when it comes to innovation. Or at least we did a few years ago during the boom. But the best communication and transport infrastructure we can implement is Eircon and Dublin Bus.... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

DingChavez wrote: »
    Ireland probably even beats them at a per capita level when it comes to innovation. Or at least we did a few years ago during the boom.

Thats Bertiesque, that. "Shure we are better lads than dem dere japs". "We have de de de Luas and and an and a knowledge economy".

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

theboxer wrote: »
    Thats Bertiesque, that. "Shure we are better lads than dem dere japs". "We have de de de Luas and and an and a knowledge economy".

1 google search.

Finland, Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland, and the US are among the countries that rank highest in terms of global innovation capability according to a first-of-its-kind evaluation of 26 nations by Forrester Research, Inc.

According to Forrester, developed nations such as the US and Japan are spending on average $1,270 per capita per year on research and development with little to show for their science and technology investment.

http://www.govtech.com/gt/articles/104255

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Ireland probably even beats them at a per capita level when it comes to innovation.

I loled :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Ireland probably even beats them at a per capita level when it comes to innovation.

lol@ this! Has to be a troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

I loled at Orange69, an Kunyboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

wes wrote: »
    Here is a review of his book from journalist Johann Hari, where he tears apart all the absurd made up nonsense he spouts

Isnt Johann Hari the lad who said, and I qoute - "That Britain is in an irrational panic about paedophiles, producing harmful laws, pointing out that they are often the victims of sexual abuse themselves"........

Yeah.....

Chap is a loon. He should be caged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Am I reading him wrong or does he start his rant about Japanese people thinking all black people look alike by casually implying that all East Asian people look alike?

Would it surprise you to discover that Koreans and Chinese look far more similar to Japanese than black people do? Maybe I need a rolleyes here, I'm not sure...
    Being in Japan i learned that me and my mates were constantly being called 'western devils', 'american dirt' and 'sinful race'

I call shenanigans - I've never in my life heard these expressions uttered in Japan, least of all to anyone's face. Please tell us the actual phrases they used.
    theboxer wrote: »
    Are you for real?:pac:
    I beg to differ

Clearly you two have not spent a whole lot of time in Japan, particularly outside of huge cities. Just because they have neon lights and fancy toilets in certain parts of Tokyo doesn't mean the country is high-tech (just spotted that this has been echoed by Nakey above).
    Are you disputing that it happens?

I dispute that it happens on any sort of a regular basis (even in Okinawa, where I spent several months).
    They all want to be white too,or black.

Ridiculous.

For reference on all the above, I currently live in Japan and have lived in various parts of the country on and off for several years.

Advertisement