Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan may pick robots over immigrants

Options
  • 18-05-2010 12:14am

Japan, like many countries across the globe, is facing huge challenges in caring for its aging population.
    Its hospitals are stretched because there are not enough nurses to cope.
    The low birth rate there means foreign workers need to be recruited but there is a widespread opposition to immigration in the country as many Japanese value an ethnically homogenous society.
    For some, robots may be preferable to allowing foreigners to work there.
    Roland Buerk reports from Osaka.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8687196.stm

all I want to know is, who else would jump that!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

In before "they took our jerbs"

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Anyone else notice how the BBC volume thing goes up to 11 :p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Stratige

Japan, like many countries across the globe, is facing huge challenges in caring for its aging population.
    Its hospitals are stretched because there are not enough nurses to cope.
    The low birth rate there means foreign workers need to be recruited but there is a widespread opposition to immigration in the country as many Japanese value an ethnically homogenous society.
    For some, robots may be preferable to allowing foreigners to work there.
    RoboNurse wrote: »
    Ah jedly...
    :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I think if I was a lad of my 80s without much knowledge of robots or even exposure, I'd be liable to kick the bucket sooner with a stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I know that they are putting large amounts of money into farm robots so that older and fewer farmers can do more work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Anyone else notice how the BBC volume thing goes up to 11 :p

I had a while ago, then forgot about it.

On topic; can't wait 'til they do the daryl hannah one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

DEY TUK ER JERBS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

Another great idea by the Japanese. Robots dont require pensions, welfare benefits, medical care, child allowance, rent allowance, various numbers of quangos, language classes, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

theboxer wrote: »
    Another great idea by the Japanese. Robots dont require pensions, welfare benefits, medical care, child allowance, rent allowance, various numbers of quangos, language classes, etc.

That just makes them all the more dangerous when they achieve self awareness and start harvesting the old they are supposed to care for for their body heat in order to power their energy cells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Japan's robot takeover has been well documented for the last 25 or so years.

Its pretty much all there in Gundam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

theboxer wrote: »

Aye, the most racist society on Earth would rather go for vaporware technology than give a job to a filthy gaijin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Where are all the PC dogooders objecting to Japans 'racist' policy?

Unless the Japanese are taking on foreign robots as a form of immigration :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Exposes PC for the sham it is. When a powerful target like Japan breaks their "rules" they are silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Japanese are fervently racist. As are Saudi Arabians.
    PC police can only complain about so much, can you guys help out a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Japan is pretty clearly Xenophobic (and in some cases pretty damn racist), and it will be interesting to see, if they can create robots to replace Human workers, that actually do the job as well.

Now, if the Robot thing doesn't work out, there in for a heap of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

kuntboy wrote: »
    Exposes PC for the sham it is. When a powerful target like Japan breaks their "rules" they are silent.

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Go robots!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

ummmm... Judgment Day anyone? How long before they become self aware? and kill us all? and christian bale ends up shouting a lot in the future?

Balls to that..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I saw this documentary once, Terminator 2 I believe it was called. This may not end well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Not posted yet............ for shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder if this is a way of getting rid of all of those silver-painted robotic twats who turn up at festivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

ah jaysus, there was no need to bring that Styx ****e into this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

"many Japanese value an ethnically homogenous society"

What an absolutely disgraceful article.

There is an element of xenophobia in Japan, mostly in the low-education end of the older generations, certainly not with the younger crowd. Its no different to what we get here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

At least Stephen Hawking can get a job....

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Gurgle wrote: »

There is an element of xenophobia in Japan, mostly in the low-education end of the older generations, certainly not with the younger crowd. Its no different to what we get here.

Complain to the BBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a good blog here about being a black American in Japan in case anyone is interested.

Anyway, if someone can make this whole robots thing actually work it's the Japanese. They're very far along when it comes to technology. Japan leads the world in building robots, and the bots show remarkable skill. Honda’s famous android, Asimo, has served tea, conducted the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and freaked-out James May of the BBC program Top Gear. Toyota’s robots have even played the violin and the trumpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Persocom for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

Gurgle wrote: »

Why?

We could learn a lot from the Japanese. Its a pity that there has not been any real debate on the multiculturalism issue in this country, rather a blanket acceptance by the majority of the opinion-makers and powers that be, especially within the state media, that multi-culturalism is something to be embraced, is welcome and it is progressive. Just because. We are moving towards a multicultural society it would seem by default, with little to commend such a model in my view, and more importantly with little public discussion on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

biko wrote: »
    There's a good blog here about being a black American in Japan in case anyone is interested.

I don't know how much of the remaining .6% are Chinese nationals, but even if we were to assume zero that's still only .6% of the population that is foreign and obviously so

Am I reading him wrong or does he start his rant about Japanese people thinking all black people look alike by casually implying that all East Asian people look alike?

Advertisement