Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

$ausage$ wrote: »
    what happened to fighting for your place?

He will still fight for his place - iHumph is good enough to push Jackson.

We aren't going to waste big money bringing in a top 10 when we already have one that's good enough. That would be a waste of money. We needed a backup option, iHumph is that.

Jackson is the 10 we want to develop - iHumph lets us do that but still maintain good options at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Ok well Leinster have 2 tens and one is pushing Paddy. Gop didnt hurt them and they didnt break the bank doing so.
    Also I think we need a utility back as Wallace is not coming back as quick. I know Olding can do that but he will need help too. Humph is 10 15 at a push.

Ok well Leinster have 2 tens and one is pushing Paddy. Gop didnt hurt them and they didnt break the bank doing so.
    Also I think we need a utility back as Wallace is not coming back as quick. I know Olding can do that but he will need help too. Humph is 10 15 at a push.

Leinster have 2 tens. Neither is better than Jackson and iHumph is not far from either of them either - he's maybe even as good as Gopperth.

Ok I have to with draw from this now. as good as Gop!?

Last work I hope we get some quality in soon

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

comparisons to leinster are ill founded.

Leinster lost a top class established 10, so needed not only back up but possibly a new 10.

Ulster have not lost their established top class 10, they need general back up.
    there is a very small pool of decent outhalfs that will move to sit on a bench. and a 32 YO is about as good as can be gotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭phog

awec wrote: »
    iHumph is about as good a second choice 10 as you can hope for.

Top players are not going to come to Ulster to sit on the bench. That's reality. And we are not going to sign someone so good that they displace Jackson - that will not be allowed and rightly so.

Nerdy stat.

In the H/Cup Munster have only ever been beaten twice in Thomond Park, Ian was on the teams that beat us there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster have 2 tens. Neither is better than Jackson and iHumph is not far from either of them either - he's maybe even as good as Gopperth.

Ah come on! He's decent but not on the level Gopperth is. Let's not forget his previous form for Ulster, some very very dodgy days out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ah come on! He's decent but not on the level Gopperth is. Let's not forget his previous form for Ulster, some very very dodgy days out.

He is better than Gopperth at all levels save defence where he is a complete and utter non entity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'd be hard pushed to pick between the 2, neither are world beaters and both have limitations.

However, iHump or NOC? iHump...every time.

We're ok across the back line, barring departures. It's not there we need strengthening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ah here, Ulster would absolutely jump at the chance to sign Gopperth as back-up, I'd certainly prefer him in that role over iHumph

He is better than Gopperth at all levels save defence where he is a complete and utter non entity

Well I disagree that he is better than Gopperth at any level other than his attacking play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wallace is not coming back as quick.

Paddy is not coming back at all. He has retired.

You need to have the talent to nurture. Jackson always had the talent. You say he wasn't that hot when he first came on the scene. Well he was inconsistent but even then he showed flashes. Someone like McKinney has shown very little other than a reliable set of kicking stats.

The two hopes will be O'Hagan and Bingham buy they aren't ready to be back up for Ulster.

bilston wrote: »
    Paddy is not coming back at all. He has retired.

You need to have the talent to nurture. Jackson always had the talent. You say he wasn't that hot when he first came on the scene. Well he was inconsistent but even then he showed flashes. Someone like McKinney has shown very little other than a reliable set of kicking stats.

The two hopes will be O'Hagan and Bingham buy they aren't ready to be back up for Ulster.

Which O'Hagan? more reason for us to get a utility back then?

Which O'Hagan? more reason for us to get a utility back then?

The 10/12 that you are stealing from the Connacht subacademy ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is Nick Williams signed on for next season?

• Advertisement

The 10/12 that you are stealing from the Connacht subacademy ;)

Ah thought you meant the one in Scotland playing for Galashields

PS i suspose Porter was in your academy too :) and Faloon!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is Nick Williams signed on for next season?

Another two seasons I think.

Ah thought you meant the one in Scotland playing for Galashields

PS i suspose Porter was in your academy too :) and Faloon!

I'm not a Connacht fan, mainly a Leinster fan.

Porter and Faloon were experienced pros that went to Connacht when unable to make an impression at Ulster.

Porter and Faloon were experienced pros that went to Connacht when unable to make an impression at Ulster.

Just like Boss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

In fairness it has nearly always been the other way round, which makes the tempting of young O'Hagan from Connacht to Ulster all the more interesting ! Have Ulster signed many players from Connacht before? Nearly always go the other direction.

• Advertisement

Stanza2 wrote: »
    In fairness it has nearly always been the other way round, which makes the tempting of young O'Hagan from Connacht to Ulster all the more interesting ! Have Ulster signed many players from Connacht before? Nearly always go the other direction.

McComish and NOC though they were Ulstermen first
    Just like Boss :)
    He didn't want to play second fiddle to Pienaar

McComish and NOC though they were Ulstermen first

He didn't want to play second fiddle to Pienaar

Would rather do it to Redden then :)

Would rather do it to Redden then :)

50/50 competition in Leinster with Boss starting a hell of a lot of big games ahead of Redden.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not really any comparison to how Boss's career has gone at Leinster and how it would have gone had he stayed at Ulster. It has arguably been the most successful moves between provinces

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

From UAFC

"Anscombe states that Jared wants to play 13 only next season"

ssaye2 wrote: »
    From UAFC

That's a bit off airing that in public by Anscombe? If I was Cave, and Payne got his wish I would definitely seek a move.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ssaye2 wrote: »
    From UAFC

Worked out well for Earls and Fitzgerald (who wanted to play 15)..........

My patience in Anscombe is wearing very thin.

Some of the stuff he has come out with is unreal, this Payne at 13 story and the comments about Pienaar for example. He says things in public that should be kept behind closed doors. His attitude toward some players is questionable at best.

He's on borrowed time in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Had Ian Humphreys fallen out of favour at London Irish? He had a contract until 2016: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/23268791

Edit: He wasn't getting as much pitch time as last season anyway: http://www.premiershiprugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures/squads.php?player=8712&includeref=dynamic

I look forward to watching him next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Had Ian Humphreys fallen out of favour at London Irish? He had a contract until 2016: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/23268791

Edit: He wasn't getting as much pitch time as last season anyway: http://www.premiershiprugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures/squads.php?player=8712&includeref=dynamic

I look forward to watching him next year!

I think Geraghty is playing 10 for them mostly these days.

Some of the stuff he has come out with is unreal, this Payne at 13 story and the comments about Pienaar for example. He says things in public that should be kept behind closed doors. His attitude toward some players is questionable at best.

It's very puzzling to release a statement like that which can only increase tension between 2 established players.

Unless he knows for sure 1 is going, either way he should put a sock in it and focus on the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

From a neutral perspective, it's a shame that the Ospreys lost last week. That result has pretty much denied us a full strength team going to Thomond for a potential cracker.

As it stands, we're going to have a second string Ulster side and a patchy Munster side who will surely rest their big guns for Glasgow.

What did he say about Pienaar?

I'm not sure that he wants to be here and I'm not sure Ulster want him either but maybe the one year extension was a necessary evil for all concerned. I'd be amazed if he is here for 2015/16.

It's really not great for anyone (Anscombe, Payne, and the other squad players) for that type of statement to get out.

Where did the statement come from?

What did he say about Pienaar?

I'm not sure that he wants to be here and I'm not sure Ulster want him either but maybe the one year extension was a necessary evil for all concerned. I'd be amazed if he is here for 2015/16.

He said that Ruan wasn't very good at 10.

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant - you don't say things like that about your players.

I reckon we were hoping he'd say no to the contract.

He said that Ruan wasn't very good at 10.

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant - you don't say things like that about your players.

I reckon we were hoping he'd say no to the contract.

Where did he say all that?

Where did he say all that?

Some public meeting with fans.

• Advertisement

Court banned for the semi final.

So where does this leave us for the play off?

Black/Herring/Macklin

or

Black/Herring/Warwick

Who is the 4th prop?

Edit - Court got a two week ban?

So if the semi final is on Saturday 17th May that would be 15 days after the offence took place, so that being the case, and given Leinster play most of their home games on sat evening that seems likely, would he not be available then?

The BBC report thinks not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Court banned for the semi final.

So where does this leave us for the play off?

Black/Herring/Macklin

or

Black/Herring/Warwick

Who is the 4th prop?

Edit - Court got a two week ban?

So if the semi final is on Saturday 17th May that would be 15 days after the offence took place, so that being the case, and given Leinster play most of their home games on sat evening that seems likely, would he not be available then?

The BBC report thinks not

Anything I've seen has said midnight Sunday the 18th.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Anything I've seen has said midnight Sunday the 18th.

Yeah, saw that after I posted. Technically its a 3 week ban then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

anything other than a Pro12 title and I think Maark should go.

Yeah, saw that after I posted. Technically its a 3 week ban then.

Normally the ban would be until the end of the weekend. Otherwise getting sent off on a Thursday/Friday night would be punished less that getting sent off on a Sunday. They should make the ban cover elligible matches rather than a timeframe imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    anything other than a Pro12 title and I think Maark should go.

He's staying another year and any coach would struggle with the injuries and ancillary problems Ulster have faced in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He's staying another year and any coach would struggle with the injuries and ancillary problems Ulster have faced in the last few weeks.

We have been very unconvincing at times during the year - not just the past few weeks. Some terrible defeats.

He got unlucky in the Heineken cup but that excuse doesn't wash with the Rabo.

We played better rugby last year, our league form this year is a step backwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The biggest issue I'd have with Anscombe is that, as harsh as it sounds, Ulster have consistently failed to impress when it really matters (and it extends further than him). There are extraneous circumstances this year but the Ulster have consistently seemed to be fazed by the big occasion.

They weren't as convincing this year no, but they were phenomenal in the Rabo last year so that is not necessarily a fair comparison. I think losing Wallace and Olding and having Marshall out a lot was a big problem this year. They're still in it and I wouldn't put it past them to sneak into the final. It would be harsh to dismiss that completely.

I think Ulster have the weakest overall squad of the big 3 Irish teams.

The bench for alot of their match day squads is routinely alot weaker than the starting 15.

This has to play a factor in the Rabo I think.

There is a lot of opposition to Anscombe on the uafc MB at the moment and the debate over whether Payne or Cave should play 13 seems to have been the tipping point. Cave has quite a vocal support there. The worry for me is hat some people are now even beginning to turn on Payne. I don't know whether they are really all that representative of the Ulster fan base to be honest but Cave is held in high regard on uafc.

That said it's not all just because of that. Ulster have flattered to deceive is season, a lot of that is down to injuries and rank bad luck but some players haven't quite reached the expected levels. Whether that is he player or the coach depends on who you want to blame. Luke Marshall looks a different player in green than he does in white and as for what has happened to Craig Gilroy, who 18 months ago looked superstar in the making, Lord only knows. Is that down to Anscombe? Also, Henderson aside, we haven't produced a forward of note in the last two years under a forwards biased coach.

I wouldn't be calling for his head yet on the basis of what I know to be definite fact, ie what I see on the pitch. However you do hear little titbits which suggest all is not rosy and if that is the case I'm not sure he is the right man for Ulster. That said I'm always wary of agendas, everyone has one, and therefore it is sometimes hard to know what to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A big problem i have with Marshall is that he seems to have been told just to run into contact every time...which kind of negates his skill set.

Anscombe seems to have reached a plateau and that's disappointing tbh. We looked brilliant at times last year but this year we have been very predictable and one dimensional. Another thing is that Williams seems to get stopped early in his tracks this year, and that is stopping us getting on the front foot - he's getting chopped down instantly. As Awec said earlier, we have looked very average at times which is a worry as our team sheet has always looked capable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement