Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

They were pretty awful weren't they, I was the same as others, tuned in near the start but couldn't hack it for very long, pretty shambolic but I did say to myself that it is the first day and it may settle down a little. But I think that's wishful thinking on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Newstalk having been running an "editorial" before each news bulletin. A party political broadcast on behalf of Newstalk. The management has decided to lecture the nation in these difficult times. My response to it is - **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And what is your solution......?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Newstalk having been running an "editorial" before each news bulletin. A party political broadcast on behalf of Newstalk. The management has decided to lecture the nation in these difficult times. My response to it is - **** off.

My response was to turn it off. I always though there was a major agenda with Newstalk, now that it's been confirmed, I won't be tuning back in.

And what is your solution......?

To what?.... the relentless tabloidization of Newstalk - stop listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

moncreif without him is a breath of fresh air.

deadhead13 wrote: »

why? if they did half of what was in the "editorial" we would be well on our way.

ntlbell wrote: »
    why? if they did half of what was in the "editorial" we would be well on our way.

I think it is a bit much to get a "Ask not what your country can do for you ...ask what you can do for your country." type speech from a radio station whose owner is a tax exile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think Des Bishop is doing well in place of Seán Moncrieff today

Those 2 yokes yesterday were sh*te

The editorial before the news bulletin was a bit disturbing

Dave! wrote: »
    I think Des Bishop is doing well in place of Seán Moncrieff today

Those 2 yokes yesterday were sh*te

yep big brother brian is would of the most squeeky annoying people you could listen to.

dessie's doing a fine job

• Advertisement

My response was to turn it off. I always though there was a major agenda with Newstalk, now that it's been confirmed, I won't be tuning back in.

Every station has an agenda.

Business orientated station in pro business agenda shocker:p

Here is a transcript of the editorial and you can listen to it.....

http://www.newstalk.ie/newstalk-statement/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Not getting them on satellite ATM???:confused:

In haste JD.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dave! wrote: »

A bit disturbing :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It was a lecture to Irish people

They told us; "Every one of us must be prepared to accept the challenges that constrained economic circumstances impose." and "we must all reduce our living standards."

How bloody dare they say that poor people must accept that their social welfare is being cut - How dare they tell young parents that they must accept cutbacks

Furthermore they said
    "We can no longer afford to out price ourselves against our nearest neighbours. We must compete against Newry and Bratislava. "
    -
    In Bratislava the minimum wage is roughly €2 per hour

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think that editorial was one of the worst things they had done since they have been on air,I also think they know it now to judging by the text/email response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ChairmanMeeow

What exactly did Mary O'Rourke say yesterday that she had to apologise to some man that was offended on behalf of deaf people? (on the Right Hook)

In an interview last week she said something along the lines of "you would have to been deaf and dumb not to have known...(something to do with the recession, I can't remember what)".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

They had that editorial in the Independent today as well. A whole page taken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sneakers

brianw wrote: »
    the new listen back player is a good idea BUT you cant scroll through the programme!! so have to listen to a full news bulletin maybe a week old. not useful

Yes you can, although it's not that obvious - the little circle that indicates it's playing has a scroll-through facility around the edge...all you have to do is manoeuvre the scroller and you can fast forward through the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Seamus Heaney's going to be on tomorrow morning, would love to record this but have no way of doing so!!! :mad::mad:
    Can I download it from the site?

• Advertisement

peanuthead wrote: »
    Seamus Heaney's going to be on tomorrow morning, would love to record this but have no way of doing so!!! :mad::mad:
    Can I download it from the site?

Yeah, you can listen to it here later on in the day...

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

ntlbell wrote: »
    moncreif without him is a breath of fresh air.

True, less pomposity and arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 samtyler

Jesus - Peter Devlin and Lorraine Keane today. Woeful.
    On the Parenting Slot - "We have 2 children so we will ask our questions because we are in charge!"
    Turning off now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    A bit disturbing :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It was a lecture to Irish people

They told us; "Every one of us must be prepared to accept the challenges that constrained economic circumstances impose." and "we must all reduce our living standards."

How bloody dare they say that poor people must accept that their social welfare is being cut - How dare they tell young parents that they must accept cutbacks

Furthermore they said
    "We can no longer afford to out price ourselves against our nearest neighbours. We must compete against Newry and Bratislava. "
    -
    In Bratislava the minimum wage is roughly €2 per hour

WTF not, if the country can't afford it, it can't afford it.
    Some people here getting a little dose of reality.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Dub13 wrote: »
    I think that editorial was one of the worst things they had done since they have been on air,I also think they know it now to judging by the text/email response.

I'd say that's exactly why they did it - more texts equals more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Anyone knows the name of the guy who produces this show?

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Anyone knows the name of the guy who produces this show?

Joe Donnelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Thanks dh13

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The country has just given billions to bail out the banks - so don't give me that crap "can't afford it" - and that people need a "does of reality"

1. young workers and unemployed people are facing targeted cuts which may potentially lead to mass emigration.

2. The cut in child benefit will create vicious poverty traps.

3. In the area of disability there was massive cutbacks to frontline services but an increase in the NDA budget which advises on disability

3. Allowances for CE Schemes, Back to Education allowance and VTOS training are to be cut all of which actually penalise people for embarking on education and training.

4. The government has cut its capital social housing budget by 27% at a time when the social list is the highest since the 60's. Instead we will have long term leasing which is a current expenditure thus making the deficit worse and a liability for the state.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Exactly right. People also seem to forget that if the banking crisis had never happened we still as a country would of had to cut spending in a big way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement