Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I find Newstalk to be a refreshing listen and has managed to attract many professionals away from RTE's uninspired, drab sameness - sadly it becomes apparent that no one will ever be able to extract a straight answer from any of our so-called Public Servants, no matter how much dirt is uncovered - fair dues to Ivan Yeats though - he does try!

Clare Byrne does get personal, I agree, but let's face it, she's only asking questions which need to be asked - it's pretty clear she's p*ssed at bankers and has concerns/opinions about mortgages etc which obviously stem from personal concerns...but who doesn’t!!! so why shouldn't she get personal...I mean, we all have a view on the crises, lofty talk of billions this and billions that doesn’t concern the average Joe on the street...we need to know the effects in real terms and I think that's what she tries to get across!

What I want though is a news programme and not a tabloidesque magazine programme.

It is surely the point of a programme such as Breakfast to put across as many points of view from the interviewees and not the viewpoints of the interviewers. That is just poor lazy journalism. Both Byrne and Yates have an obviously biased point of view and that comes through in their interviews, they have not asked the pertinant questions on many occasions as they just follow their particular agendas.
    Again I ask you just to listen to BBC4 Today programme to hear how this sort of programme should be done. And shock horror you'll find there is more going on other than the continual Yeats/Byrne agenda for cheap shots regarding Private v Public sector nonsense. There is a whole wide world out there that never gets reported on, we need a less insular view.

A lot of this comes from the influence of reading listeners texts (again lazy journalism), this just produces an imbalanced view, predominantly the only texters would be those with a sense of injustice thereby giving an imbalanced view. For example would someone text in saying ''I have just received a small pay rise, my mortgage has gone down and I'm doing fine thank you very much'' of course not you only get the 'I have had a 30% cut all the public sector does is sit on its bum doing nothing and will retire on a pension that makes them millionaires' texts. (And before you ask as I'm sure it will be, I am not in the Public sector :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Newstalk have a new website which has a listen back feature, where you can listen to any of its programmes over the past 7 days.

.. which takes an age to load and I can't find how to download podcasts. The previous xml links haven't been retained.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

TarfHead wrote: »
    .. which takes an age to load and I can't find how to download podcasts. The previous xml links haven't been retained.

:mad:

I assume you press the the subscribe button here, but it doesn't seem to be working ....

http://media.newstalk.ie/podcasts

I'm not overly impressed with new site myself, I only knew that "listen back" existed because it was mentioned on some of the shows, but it still took me an age to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

The new Newstalk website is a bit of a let down isn't it? When I heard they where revamping it I thought the result would be a vast improvement but it's a bit underwhelming to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eoinoc333

With the new site, the online stream at http://newstalk.fmstreams.com:8080/listen.pls is no longer running. Has anyone been able to find what the new address is? I want to run the stream through my music player rather than visiting the site every time.

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭TheBastard

you can now listen back to the entire shows and not have to settle for 20 minute podcasts... wohoo

finally i can listen to off the ball complete football hour- happy days!!

The new Web page is a little tricky to get around first but seems to run alot better!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm loving the fact that I can listen to Off the Ball during the day now.

AMZ did you used to be on the SMUT webpage?
    (sean Moncrieff United Texters)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That guy Early is the greatest conman radio ever invented.

Useless, pandering to the red top brigade, delivery that would put a comatose junkie to shame, how the guy hangs on in mainstream radio is beyond me.

FB, do you actually like anyone involved in Irish radio? I never see anything but negativity from you.

Ken Earley clearly appeals to the type of audience the show is aimed at, people who enjoy their sport and who like presenters to have an obvious interest in it. I've heard Ken present music and current affairs shows too and he really isn't just a one trick pony, or someone who panders to people.

I'd love if all sports shows were as well researched and as diverse as OTB. I'd love if all presenters showed such an obvious passion for sport and not just the one code, or team a la certain other stations.
    TheBastard wrote: »
    AMZ did you used to be on the SMUT webpage?
    (sean Moncrieff United Texters)
    Jaysus!
    Was only thinkin' about that the other day.

Wondered whatever happened to ShellSuitedKevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

Does anyone have the direct xml links for the podcasts?
    Been trying to download the off the ball rugby podcast, but not working.

Have you searched iTunes? They might be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

I can find the itunes link, but dont use itunes.
    I listen to podcasts on my phone and am able to download over the air to it, but need the xml or rss links. If they dont do them anymore that'll be the end of my newstalk podcasting.

Ken Early is the Best sprts journalist in this country IMO.
    he used to have a column in the Village which might have been cut due to Finacial reasons with the mag. I've been listening to Off The Ball for 4 years now and i think he's a class act- I like AMZ have heard him do the Current affairs show and Culture shock and he pulled them off without seeming like he was out of his depth. He's a nice and very Funny guy- and one of the best singers of lady in red i've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brianw

the new listen back player is a good idea BUT you cant scroll through the programme!! so have to listen to a full news bulletin maybe a week old. not useful

brianw wrote: »
    the new listen back player is a good idea BUT you cant scroll through the programme!! so have to listen to a full news bulletin maybe a week old. not useful

If you click on the download link on the top it loads up in real player- you can then fastforward through the show. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brianw

TheBastard wrote: »
    If you click on the download link on the top it loads up in real player- you can then fastforward through the show. ;)

http://media.newstalk.ie/podcasts is the page i'm on, and i dont get any download options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

eoinoc333 wrote: »
    With the new site, the online stream at http://newstalk.fmstreams.com:8080/listen.pls is no longer running. Has anyone been able to find what the new address is? I want to run the stream through my music player rather than visiting the site every time.

Eoin

http://newstalk.fmstreams.com:8008/listen.pls 8008 - 8080

http://newstalk.ie/help/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madmikec

What is it with George Hook, he’s like Charles S Parnell charging all over the country trying to build his popularity. I heard one of these live “ego” shows, “Let’s change this country”. They should call it "the Right EGO".
    Now I hear he’s was crying over the poverty in Haiti, last week it was his analyst and getting deep inside… Where does this man’s Ego stop.
    I guess he’s looking for the big job on Telly, and you can’t blame anyone for trying.

I’ve had it with GH and can’t listen to any more.

Notice how Newstalk never ask questions in their survey like:
    How often do you swap stations when listening to
    (a)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The Breakfast Show (to morning Ireland)
    (b)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]George Hook (to matt Cooper)
    (c)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mon-Crete (SP Ben Dunne out take) to any other station

brianw wrote: »
    http://media.newstalk.ie/podcasts is the page i'm on, and i dont get any download options

if you click on the listen back link then when you select a part of a show to listen to a realplayer link appears "download this link"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eoinoc333

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

madmikec wrote: »
    (a)The Breakfast Show (to morning Ireland)
    (b)George Hook (to matt Cooper)
    (c)Mon-Crete (SP Ben Dunne out take) to any other station

Good one - me too plus (d) off the ball to BOARDS.IE:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

wtf is wrong with Hook, sounds like he is on his deathbed...

madmikec wrote: »
    What is it with George Hook, he’s like Charles S Parnell charging all over the country trying to build his popularity. I heard one of these live “ego” shows, “Let’s change this country”. They should call it "the Right EGO".
    Now I hear he’s was crying over the poverty in Haiti, last week it was his analyst and getting deep inside… Where does this man’s Ego stop.
    I guess he’s looking for the big job on Telly, and you can’t blame anyone for trying.

I’ve had it with GH and can’t listen to any more.

(a)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The Breakfast Show (to morning Ireland)
    (b)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]George Hook (to matt Cooper)
    (c)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mon-Crete (SP Ben Dunne out take) to any other station

Yes I have been listening to Hook recently and like Joesph O'Connors diary, the lad is beginning to believe his own publicity.

Memo to Georgy boy.

Nobody really give too much of a bollox what your inner thoughts are.
    Your trip to Haiti was probably sponsored with the payoff being media exposure,so don't think we are all idiots and suddenly think that you are Ireland's Mother Theresa.

We are not that thick.

Now if that scenario is wrong I apologise, but somehow I don't think it is.

Rgds

Flutther.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

wtf is wrong with Hook, sounds like he is on his deathbed...

See above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

What kind of a numpty does George have on for the technology slot? He didn't know the answer to a very basic question for a so called EXPERT! Someone asked could you upgrade from Windows XP straight to Windows 7 on his Dell laptop and he didn't know the answer! Crazy stuff!

This is a typical conversation between George and his Tech expert!

George: A listener asks blah blah blah....?

Tech Expert: I DUNNO I will have to check that out or I have not heard about that etc.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Did any of catch the name of the phone this technology guru said was "the best phone on the market by far" on tonights show (November 9th)? I was paying a toll on the N4 and missed it...

Thanks!

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Hook really has lost the run of himself completely.

The opening segment of each day's show where he aims a round of cheap shots at a series of targets who have no right to reply is pathetic.

The man's self-importance and self-absorption seem to know no bound. He seems to consider himself an authority on every topic regardless of the subject matter, yet as soon as the discussions moves beyond what was on the front page of today's paper you can hear the cracks opening.

And finally, if I hear the phrase "but there's a key point here" one more time I will throw the feckin radio at the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone heard Seán Moncrieff's new 'play/drama' thing he does on the show recently? :confused: Terrible... just terrible... not funny at all !

Sorry Seán ! I do love you, but that segment has to go ! And you can feck out the 'ladies slot' also ! Gobsh*tes the lot of them

• Advertisement

Yes , heard it, has potential, but as of now, total load of crap.

Shows one what they think of their audience .

Total dummies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement