Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach's Christmas Message: Are we just a nation of whingers?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

To be honest, it was something someone told me once I should think about.

I thought about it for a short while, but honestly I don't think I would be any good at it. I wouldn't be qualified enough in so many areas, so wouldn't waste my time, or everyone else's.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I never said he couldn't, I just asked him a question. And I doubt he needs you defending him, he can speak for himself.

Are you saying it's a one-on-one here? Look, let's be real it's an echo-chamber in here, but your post was an attempt at passive censorship, "If you have not done XYZ then you're voice is void....."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

"Counting the sleeps to the big man on the big day"
    I know it's silly but I imagined him talking about James Reilly when he said this :)

Referring to your point OP, times are hard for everyone, not just in Ireland but worldwide and people feel a need to vent on someone. Seeing as the Government run the country, when it is doing more poorly than the public would like they become the targets for peoples frustration.

It rarely matters if it is the current government who are culpable or not, they're the figurehead and thus will receive the publics wrath, or at the very least they'll shout about them :)
    the man is a snivvleing moron puppet.backed by and surrounded by incompetent slow shady cretins interested in lining their pockets with fat wages and pensions ..greedy individuals who sneer and laugh at ordinary people..and people wonder why the rat catcher gets red thumbs..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

dvpower wrote: »
    There is no unqualified right for any TD to have his voice heard in the Dail. He knew the rules that allow the Dail to operate. He caused the suspension of the Dail twice, silencing the other 165 TDs.
    He broke the rules and paid the inevitable price.
    Democracy in action.

If Kenny can get away with repeatedly avoiding answering pertinent questions by ignorantly dragging the names of murdered people into the fray then it's absurd that another should be dispelled for refusing to sit down.

Maudi wrote: »
    the man is a snivvleing moron puppet.backed by and surrounded by incompetent slow shady cretins interested in lining their pockets with fat wages and pensions ..greedy individuals who sneer and laugh at ordinary people..and people wonder why the rat catcher gets red thumbs..

A sniveling moron puppet he may be....but he is in charge and he has to make the decisions we ALL have to live with. We can't let anger blind us from the fact that we were, all of us, sold down the river by FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

There is no unqualified right for any TD to have his voice heard in the Dail. He knew the rules that allow the Dail to operate. He caused the suspension of the Dail twice, silencing the other 165 TDs.
    He broke the rules and paid the inevitable price.
    Democracy in action.

Right enough they may not. But to have his right to vote taken away? Barrett is possibly the single most biased CC of a generation. He will make whatever bull**** rules he wants and get the majority to vote on it if needs be. Look through the records. Has he ever silenced a FG TD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 WeNeed Another General Election

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I wonder what Enda's chirstmas bonus was.

bonus on top of bonus, on top of bonus, on top of bonus, on top of bonus

ya catch my drift

catallus wrote: »

A sniveling moron puppet he may be....but he is in charge and he has to make the decisions we ALL have to live with. We can't let anger blind us from the fact that we were, all of us, sold down the river by FF.
    the rat catcher is not in charge..hes a over paid puppet caretaker..he decides nothing..he told what to say and when to say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Look through the records. Has he ever silenced an FG TD?
    You've obviously looked through the records.
    Has he ever silenced a FG TD?

By the by, it wasn't the CC that suspended him, it was by a Dail vote.

And as for yr ridiculous hiding behind the username crap, what you want me to do? Jump through my iPad or something?

Don't let them know you have an iPad FFS! They'll tax the bollix out of you for that!

• Advertisement

You've obviously looked through the records.
    Has he ever silenced a FG TD?

By the by, it wasn't the CC that suspended him, it was by a Dail vote.

Was that vote ever in doubt when it was called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

If you care as much about this as much you seem to, can I ask what you have done to change matters? Have you written to your local TD to express your discontent? Have you participated in protests on the Dáil? Have you considered running for politics yourself?

If you think posting comments on Boards.ie under the moniker 'Fiery mutant' will make even the smallest possible difference, you are mistaken.
    Are you saying it's a one-on-one here? Look, let's be real it's an echo-chamber in here, but your post was an attempt at passive censorship, "If you have not done XYZ then you're voice is void....."

I never said his voice was void. I asked him if he can done anything productive about his anger. Please don't misquote me.
    To be honest, it was something someone told me once I should think about.

I thought about it for a short while, but honestly I don't think I would be any good at it. I wouldn't be qualified enough in so many areas, so wouldn't waste my time, or everyone else's.

Fair enough, I respect your honesty. I hope you realise I am not some staunch defender of this government, or any for that matter. But I hate to see people exclusively channeling their rage into activities which are not productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Yes I would, and have done.

You know we can all make stupid comments about usernames and hiding behind keyboards blah blah blah, but seeing as this is an Internet forum, that is all any of us can do.

So until you invent a technology where we do away with keyboards and conduct boards.ie through a holographic interface and do these threads face to face, STFU !!!

You'll have no problem PM'ing me your email adress so? If you're going to tell me to shut the f*** up I'd rather you do it under your name like a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The good people of Mayo clearly disagree with you.

Don't insult the good people of Mayo, It's the idiots of Mayo who disagree with me.

No, he could have stood up to the actions of FF/Greens like the government did in Iceland but instead he continued FF's line of treachery.

Just another overpaid gimp leeching of the taxpayer.

the rat catcher is not in charge..hes a over paid puppet caretaker..he decides nothing..he told what to say and when to say it.

Well this is simply not true, he has to sign off on it, it's the way Europe works. He may decline if he sees fit.

Was that vote ever in doubt when it was called?
    Probably not. Padraig MacLochlainn's behaviour was only ever going to lead to his suspension. He was given 7 separate instructions by the CC that he disobeyed. His suspension was inevitable and manufactured by himself.

Probably not. Padraig MacLochlainn's behaviour was only ever going to lead to his suspension. He was given 7 separate instructions by the CC that he disobeyed. His suspension was inevitable and manufactured by himself.

At any stage was Mr Kenny pulled up by the CC for using the tragic case of Jean McConville when rebuffing questions on the budget?

The CC is abusing his position carte blanch and sadly he is guaranteed a seat after the next election.

Ava_e wrote: »
    " as a husband father neighbour, I ..."

It's amazing how you can be all things to all men, but a no one to everyone.
    thats good..very good.

At any stage was Mr Kenny pulled up by the CC for using the tragic case of Jean McConville when rebuffing questions on the budget?

The CC is abusing his position carte blanch and sadly he is guaranteed a seat after the next election.

Did Edna Kenny break Dail rules?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Did Edna Kenny break Dali rules?

I don't think he's a fan of Dali's work.

• Advertisement

Well this is simply not true, he has to sign off on it, it's the way Europe works. He may decline if he sees fit.
    gosh.are people this nieve still!

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I don't think he's a fan of Dali's work.
    I was referring to his sister, Edna. :)

Did Edna Kenny break Dail rules?

Is making Brian Cowan look competent against Dail rules?

gosh.are people this nieve still!

It's not naive, it's the way the law in this country works. If you think otherwise then please tell me what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

That's the worst thing that has ever happened on YouTube. The members of that site are usually so warm and friendly.

Is making Brian Cowan look competent against Dail rules?
    No, but I think its against some of the laws of nature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

He makes Brian Cowen look competent.
    The Germans in the 1940s had more access to democracy than Irish people do now.
    It is kinda like the Berlin Wall if you think about it......

Christ

Advertisement