Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach's Christmas Message: Are we just a nation of whingers?

Options
  • 21-12-2012 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has uploaded a 'Christmas Message' video to youtube, through the channel MerrionStreetNews, and already it has received as of 6:00pm on Friday 21st December, 73 thumbs down and only 9 thumbs up.

It's not a particularly inspiring speech, it contains the usual bland platitudes of 'Skype is no substitute for the hug of a dearly loved child or grandchild'.

However, there is nothing offensive about the video, and my gut feeling is that most of the people thumbing it down are not doing so out of any genuine political savvy, but because it is fashionable to bash elected representatives in Ireland.

Can anyone remember the last elected politician - one who formed part of a government instead of simply being in opposition - who was not completely vilified by all manner of anonymous keyboard commandos on sites like Youtube and Boards.ie?

I'm not a believer in blind patriotism, nor am I a supporter of Fine Gail, but it seems absolutely less than pointless to thumb down a video from the elected leader of our country on the web. Would it not be best to just ignore the video?

This admittedly minor incident seems to be to be further vindication of my belief that Ireland is a nation of whingers, who are happy to bash those in government, but who never once offer any realistic or intelligent alternative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Welcome to the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Yes ...you are a nation of whingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has uploaded a 'Christmas Message' video to youtube, through the channel MerrionStreetNews, and already it has received as of 6:00pm on Friday 21st December, 73 thumbs down and only 9 thumbs up.

It's not a particularly inspiring speech, it contains the usual bland platitudes of 'Skype is no substitute for the hug of a dearly loved child or grandchild'.

However, there is nothing offensive about the video, and my gut feeling is that most of the people thumbing it down are not doing so out of any genuine political savvy, but because it is fashionable to bash elected representatives in Ireland.

Can anyone remember the last elected politician - one who formed part of a government instead of simply being in opposition - who was not completely vilified by all manner of anonymous keyboard commandos on sites like Youtube and Boards.ie?

I'm not a believer in blind patriotism, nor am I a supporter of Fine Gail, but it seems absolutely less than pointless to thumb down a video from the elected leader of our country on the web. Would it not be best to just ignore the video?

This admittedly minor incident seems to be to be further vindication of my belief that Ireland is a nation of whingers, who are happy to bash those in government, but who never once offer any realistic or intelligent alternative.

Go way, you're not making me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

I will keep bashing the Government until they come up with a realistic and intelligent solution to my country's economic problems. Bunch of overpaid clowns!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

Enda Kenny can go shove a Lldl Stollen up his arse. Fcuk the bastard and all the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's on YouTube. He is lucky he didn't get called a Jew n*gger fag

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

hence the continued existence of thejournal.ie ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

It's on YouTube. He is lucky he didn't get called a Jew n*gger fag

They thought of that, comments are disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

"Counting the sleeps to the big man on the big day"
    I know it's silly but I imagined him talking about James Reilly when he said this :)

Referring to your point OP, times are hard for everyone, not just in Ireland but worldwide and people feel a need to vent on someone. Seeing as the Government run the country, when it is doing more poorly than the public would like they become the targets for peoples frustration.

It rarely matters if it is the current government who are culpable or not, they're the figurehead and thus will receive the publics wrath, or at the very least they'll shout about them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

He looks knackered in that video, sure tis good to know he will have lots of time to rest before his return to work on the 16th of January. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

Thanks for the heads-up. I've just been on YouTube to 'dislike' this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Gonna report that video and demand it gets taken down. Rubbing peoples fuhken noses in it is hardly in the Christmas spirit. Overpaid waster.

Vote properly next time! ☒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

Didn't we elect a president for this patronising guff?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Opposition TD's have offered alternatives, and shared their own and their constituents concerns in the Dail countless times and all Kenny ever seems to do is mock them for it and deflect questions.

He can go and fcuk himself if he thinks that a cheap empty Christmas message is gonna make people overlook that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Brilliant speech ... drawing the usual whinging brigade ..... But the rest of us will drag this country into better times despite them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

...not doing so out of any genuine political savvy, but because it is fashionable to bash elected representatives in Ireland.

You've pretty much summed up 99% of the population's engagement with anything political.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

The word "WE" "our" etc is sadly missing.

"Your" is used a lot? Why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

He's a little ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

" as a husband father neighbour, I ..."

It's amazing how you can be all things to all men, but a no one to everyone.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Martin Luther

Piliger wrote: »
    Brilliant speech ... drawing the usual whinging brigade ..... But the rest of us will drag this country into better times despite them :rolleyes:
    You are broke. People are trying hard to get out of the s*it hole which is the Irish Republic. Its a bit like the Berlin Wall, people desperate to escape. God speed on their journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Ava_e wrote: »
    " as a husband father neighbour, I ..."

It's amazing how you can be all things to all men, but no a one to everyone.

He's a ****ebag to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

squod wrote: »
    Gonna report that video and demand it gets taken down. Rubbing peoples fuhken noses in it is hardly in the Christmas spirit. Overpaid waster.

Let us know how you get on :pac:
    squod wrote: »
    Vote properly next time! ☒

You want to censor a video you don't like and you think people who voted differently to you didn't vote properly.
    Not a fan of democratic principles, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm experiencing difficult times at this time. Thank Christ for the Christ child.

dvpower wrote: »

Let us know how you get on :pac:

You want to censor a video you don't like and you think people who voted differently to you didn't vote properly.
    Not a fan of democratic principles, are you?

When an opposition TD is prevented from entering parliament to vote against a government bill then democracy is dead.

Unfortunately we had that day this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

When an opposition TD is prevented from entering parliament to vote against a government bill then democracy is dead.

Unfortunately we had that day this week.
    I missed that. What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Go "you"

:)

Not "I"

had to put that there for the "special people"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enda_Kenny

Enda Kenny.

Elected to Dáil Éireann in Daddy's place in 1975.

1994-1997 a government minister.

2011 becomes Taoiseach.

Most of that those 37 years he did nothing of any use in Dáil Éireann while keeping his teaching job open.

The "man" is totally out of touch with the ordinary man and woman and has no idea how the suffering of cuts and taxes increases so foreign banks didn't lose out on their gambling.

Other threads have touched on his support and love for crooks in his party.

And someone wonders why people gave him the thumbs down on Youtube?

Ffs..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

You are broke. People are trying hard to get out of the s*it hole which is the Irish Republic. Its a bit like the Berlin Wall, people desperate to escape. God speed on their journey.

Are you comparing the people of Ireland, 2012 to those who lived in former East Germany?

Jesus Christ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I think it's very good.

Fair play to him.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    I missed that. What happened?

Padraig McLoughlin was suspended by the ceann comhairle. For not sitting down. Of all offences!

He sneaked back in for one vote but security then prevented him from entering the house for further votes.

Welcome to FGs new style of democracy

Advertisement