Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Got to the roundabout queue at 7.45 and reached the tunnel at 8.30. It's rdiculous

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

M50 got freeflow on all its junctions when it was at 100k vehicles per day

N40 is at 100k per day and its fighting hard for freeflow on the busiest junction (>90k vehicles per day)

It is generally not understood how bad traffic is in Cork.

Bring on MM and (M25, M22, M71 - a man can wish).

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Jacobs due to be awarded consultancy services through the tender and construction stage for this project

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's incredible there aren't freeflow left slips at this junction. Especially on the north side of the junction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's incredible there aren't freeflow left slips at this junction. Especially on the north side of the junction

I think the Ibis slip road and the North Esk depot slip road block a proper north side slip. They're quite close.

South side, I think the existing city-bound lane going from 2 to 1 might be the problem: it'd be hard to go from 3 to 1 in the same space.

But in general, agreed, it seems a major oversight of the original plan: I suspect you could reduce a nice few % of vehicles from the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

There was a plan 10 years ago when the lights got put in to also add a number of slips. Never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There was also another plan to put a left slip from Cork to Dublin but these plans took over and building that slip would have just made a mess of the planning for the whole scheme.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There was a plan 10 years ago when the lights got put in to also add a number of slips. Never happened.

No point now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I see people using the H/S in the morning to head for little island but the cops are there most mornings giving out tickets for it...:rolleyes:

Pity they wouldn't stop the traffic from blocking the roundabout so the Dublin traffic could keep flowing.

Truckermal wrote: »
    I see people using the H/S in the morning to head for little island but the cops are there most mornings giving out tickets for it...:rolleyes:

Pity they wouldn't stop the traffic from blocking the roundabout so the Dublin traffic could keep flowing.

I find that Gardai are usually clamping down on things that while illegal, improve traffic flow. Crawling along hard shoulders being one thing.

I wouldn't mind if they instead focused on queue jumping at various roundabouts which is downright dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I find that Gardai are usually clamping down on things that while illegal, improve traffic flow. Crawling along hard shoulders being one thing.
    Bit ludicrous you have to admit.
    Driving in hard shoulders is highly problematic - what if there's an emergency, the responders can't get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

spacetweek wrote: »
    Bit ludicrous you have to admit.
    Driving in hard shoulders is highly problematic - what if there's an emergency, the responders can't get through.

Agree 100%

However the drivers that I see in the Little Island lane jumping the queue by forcing themselves into the tunnel lane at the last minute on the roundabout every morning are a huge problem also. I wish the guards would spend a few mornings up there catching these dangerous drivers as well as at the hard shoulder of the Dublin road approach.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I don't use the N40 at peak times that much (I try to avoid it), but today there was a longer queue for the Douglas flyover than there was for the Dunkettle interchange. The queue for Dunkettle was also moving whilst the Douglas queue was at a halt. The Dunkettle upgrade and the removal of the Carrs Hill bottleneck with the N28 is going to put SERIOUS pressure on the Douglas flyover westbound because there are no exits between J9 and J6 westbound. There is an onramp at J7 but there's a lane gain to compensate for that.

It didn't help that there was atriocious driving too such as a black car with no lights on weaving in and out of traffic between J6 and J9 in pitch dark. Reckless.

marno21 wrote: »
    I don't use the N40 at peak times that much (I try to avoid it), but today there was a longer queue for the Douglas flyover than there was for the Dunkettle interchange. The queue for Dunkettle was also moving whilst the Douglas queue was at a halt. The Dunkettle upgrade and the removal of the Carrs Hill bottleneck with the N28 is going to put SERIOUS pressure on the Douglas flyover westbound because there are no exits between J9 and J6 westbound. There is an onramp at J7 but there's a lane gain to compensate for that.

It didn't help that there was atriocious driving too such as a black car with no lights on weaving in and out of traffic between J6 and J9 in pitch dark. Reckless.

Been saying this for upwards of 2 years.

Douglas flyover will have to be widened to 3 lanes. Dunkettle and M28 will require it.

If not, the traffic will be back up through the tunnel itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

So what is the latest with the Dunkettle upgrade? Any time frame? Is the tender out?

Geogregor wrote: »
    So what is the latest with the Dunkettle upgrade? Any time frame? Is the tender out?

Early 2019 start is the latest indication we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

without going through 30 pages? Ill ask a simple question, are the plans for the freeflow adequate? i.e. not the joke that some of the new junctions on the m50 are capacity wise, i.e. not even up to those volumes from day 1 of opening?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    without going through 30 pages? Ill ask a simple question, are the plans for the freeflow adequate? i.e. not the joke that some of the new junctions on the m50 are capacity wise, i.e. not even up to those volumes from day 1 of opening?
    Which junctions on the M50 are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

ballymount and tallaght for a start not as familiar with the other ones except the n7 and n4 which are ok, at least they are free flow... getting onto the m50 is an absolute joke coming from the tallaght road, there should be a dedicated freeflow slip road onto m50 southbound at least, also the right turn onto m50 northbound, needs to be two lanes... ideally the should put in a free flow...

ballymount and tallaght for a start not as familiar with the other ones except the n7 and n4 which are ok, at least they are free flow... getting onto the m50 is an absolute joke coming from the tallaght road, there should be a dedicated freeflow slip road onto m50 southbound at least, also the right turn onto m50 northbound, needs to be two lanes... ideally the should put in a free flow...
    The Ballymount junction is a mess because it's too close to the Red Cow junction. The weaving there is a joke especially considering how busy the Red Cow junction is. There should've been some sort of collector/distributor setup put in there during the upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It'll be fine apart from the N8 Dublin Road - N8 Cork, which is a joke. They are deliberately trying to push THAT traffic through the tunnel and into Cork from the South.

The freeflows will be fine, the main issue in the future will be Douglas Flyover and the tunnel itself. You can more easily build a new parallel Douglas Flyover than you can double the capacity of the Lee Tunnel.

Long term more traffic needs to be diverted around the future North Ring. Plenty of traffic has no business on the South Ring

It'll be fine apart from the N8 Dublin Road - N8 Cork, which is a joke. They are deliberately trying to push THAT traffic through the tunnel and into Cork from the South.

The freeflows will be fine, the main issue in the future will be Douglas Flyover and the tunnel itself. You can more easily build a new parallel Douglas Flyover than you can double the capacity of the Lee Tunnel.

Douglas flyover is much more pressing as it handles additional traffic from the Link Road and the N27.

Think the junction will be fine. One major movement isn't free flow. However it will have priority at every single roundabout.

Jacobs appointed with a very low price to complete the specimen design and complete the tender action evaluation & award process of the D&B Contract

Scheme to be design in accordance with BIM standards so will be interested to see how it turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

marno21 wrote: »
    The Ballymount junction is a mess because it's too close to the Red Cow junction. The weaving there is a joke especially considering how busy the Red Cow junction is. There should've been some sort of collector/distributor setup put in there during the upgrade.

The Ballymount exit issue is the road capacity away from the junction is not enough.
    The Ballymount entrance onto the M50N is less of an issue as the red cow onramp merges delay traffic, if the red cow on slips to the M50N all put cars in the Aux lane, traffic would be freer flowing, instead of the short merge from the R110 under the junction and the subsequent short merge from the N7, beside the Aux onslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Jacobs appointed with a very low price to complete the specimen design and complete the tender action evaluation & award process of the D&B Contract

Scheme to be design in accordance with BIM standards so will be interested to see how it turns out
    So, when could we expect the tender? Spring next year? Later?

I would say Contractor tender documents would be issued middle of next year with a pre qual probably March/ April time. There is no money with the dept of transport = no rush

Contractor PIN Notice to discuss BIM Implementation, sensible pricing issued, Traffic Manaement etc on ETenders

Contractor PIN Notice to discuss BIM Implementation, sensible pricing issued, Traffic Manaement etc on ETenders

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=105948&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Tender attached above

• Advertisement

Echo article on the Dunkettle upgrade. Start is a shade over 2 years away now.

Advertisement