Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new powers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Bloodwing wrote: »

I have no issue with the reserve or people who join it. I was in the RDF myself. I think the reserve could be used more effectively in a community role such as attending schools and other meetings with community bodies, but that is just my opinion.

I am sorry to be reading this more effectively in a community role, you are not living in the real world or are blindfolded, you have many units that have maybe 3 to 5 members on it that need help and you want to now send the reserves that do come in to help on a community role, are you also forgetting that people have work to attend so that rules out the schools aspect, you are also forgetting that if they did go to a community group you have to also send a full time member along as well thanks to the deal the GRA done in order to allow the reserves come in.

So where you have one mule going to a community meeting you now have two, totally makes sense all right, thanks be to god that we dont have sgt that think the way you do, if you had your way from the way i am reading it you would have them in the closet out of the way, sorry if this offends you but that is the way i am reading into this.

As was said above a few posts back the Sgt exams are on at the present time, you apply for it along with lots of others and you have to do an aptitude test and you lose out, you would be thinking exactly the same way the reserves are now, sure we are all ready in the job why did we have to do this, same goes for the reserves that have given up 7 yrs to be a reserve member and are far more advanced then any person coming blind in to AGS, and you been in the RDF know what way you were treated so you should be leaning on the side of the reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

bluetop wrote: »
    I am sorry to be reading this more effectively in a community role, you are not living in the real world or are blindfolded, you have many units that have maybe 3 to 5 members on it that need help and you want to now send the reserves that do come in to help on a community role, are you also forgetting that people have work to attend so that rules out the schools aspect, you are also forgetting that if they did go to a community group you have to also send a full time member along as well thanks to the deal the GRA done in order to allow the reserves come in.

So where you have one mule going to a community meeting you now have two, totally makes sense all right, thanks be to god that we dont have sgt that think the way you do, if you had your way from the way i am reading it you would have them in the closet out of the way, sorry if this offends you but that is the way i am reading into this.

As was said above a few posts back the Sgt exams are on at the present time, you apply for it along with lots of others and you have to do an aptitude test and you lose out, you would be thinking exactly the same way the reserves are now, sure we are all ready in the job why did we have to do this, same goes for the reserves that have given up 7 yrs to be a reserve member and are far more advanced then any person coming blind in to AGS, and you been in the RDF know what way you were treated so you should be leaning on the side of the reserve

I am living in the real world and I'm not blindfolded I know exactly what its like to work a short unit, the reserve are not there to fill that gap and if it wasn't for the GRA they would be which is not the solution. You haven't offended me at all, but its not necessary to jump down my throat for giving my opinion.

If everyone had to do the aptitude test for the skippers and I failed I'd be disappointed but I wouldn't be feeling that I was hard done by.

Reserves regularly work on their own without a member standing beside them. PCSOs take part in community meetings and offer an insight from the point of view of someone who has experience and skills from other professions so why not extend the role of the reserve to this, I'm sure there are plenty of reserve who would enjoy that aspect of the job. Nowhere did I suggest that this is the only thing the reserve should be doing and neither did I suggest that they should stop what they're doing now.

You make reference to reserves already being in the job, and whilst they are members of AGS their roles and duties differ massively from that of the full time (as I pointed out already) so you cannot compare the two directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I think people are going a bit hard on Bloodwing, but I strongly disagree with what he is saying about the Reserves and migrating into the fulltime service. It's disgraceful to have so many people ready to go and want to do the job then give them the two fingers.

Firstly it's a waste of money running this big operation when there are people ready to attend training at a moments notice. As I have said before, provided you get approval from your unit sergeant, chief super and have a minimum of two years service you should be accepted.

I mean look at it from this perspective, what if the first batch of students are all Reserves, this big operation and associated costs could have been avoided and a delay in starting training avoided.

AGS allowing no sort of progression from the Reserves is in my option a course of action which may allow them to use for other posts within AGS. Sergeants, Inspectors, Chiefs from the general population that are not currently in contract with AGS could now be employed by AGS on different cheaper terms and with more experience from other employment maybe as CEO of a company.

As regards the path and future of the Reserve, who knows it vary's so much from station to station I don't even think anyone knows what we should be doing. In fact I would go as far as saying some people in AGS don't even know we even have some powers. I was told before that the Reserve is similar to a ride along like a school child. Now, I am fairly thick skinned so I let that one slide. If I ever told anyone in my full time job that was in on work experience that your like a child along to watch daddy at work day, I would be fairly up **** creek.

Someone in AGS needs to take the Reserve and show how cost effective it can be if used correctly and given the correct powers, anyone who can save a few million off a budget will find themselves moving up the ranks quicker than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Maybe it's because they are not too concerned about you

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but sure don't let that stop you having a little personal dig there anyway, eh?! I was making a general point, which alludes to the bigger picture, and not specifically to any personal context.
    Anyway, I'll leave it there. Peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

msg11 wrote: »

Someone in AGS needs to take the Reserve and show how cost effective it can be if used correctly and given the correct powers, anyone who can save a few million off a budget will find themselves moving up the ranks quicker than anything else.

I fully agree with you here. The reserve is not being used as effectively as it could be. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole aptitude test thing! I don't think anyone should get to skip a stage because that would make it too easy to get the sons or daughters of certain people through. The independently run aptitude helps keep a lot of the completely unsuitable ones out.

What I think should have happened is a certain percentage of the places available should have been held for reserve members who went through a separate stream with all the same stages. This would help keep the completely unsuitable ones out and give the decent ones a bit more of a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Scouser wrote: »
    of course we dont - thats your job!

now shurrup and get on with it :cool:

The poster gives an intelligent reply and this is your response
    Shame on you please show some respect

Scouser wrote: »
    yes some would go on as if we are in Reserve in every aspect of life!

Anyone else trying to figure thus comment out

Maybe it's because they are not too concerned about you

More negative comments change the record please

"I think the reserve could be used more effectively in a community role such as attending schools and other meetings with community bodies, but that is just my opinion"

How could that be more effective or is it a case of wanting the uniform but not the work that goes with it ?

More silly comments how much more.!all GRs work hard and would welcome any police work that comes their way

And am still awaiting the answer to my previous posted question. The fact that you have not answered speaks volumes. come on Cruz lets hear what you do for the community. Justify why it's always snide remarks and no support for the reserve

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Raider190 wrote: »
    More silly comments how much more.!all GRs work hard and would welcome any police work that comes their way

And am still awaiting the answer to my previous posted question. The fact that you have not answered speaks volumes. come on Cruz lets hear what you do for the community. Justify why it's always snide remarks and no support for the reserve

What I do or do not do for the community is none of your concern. But please spare me the "the Reserves are community spirited individuals" line. The chickens ( or in Callinan speak, the pigeons) have come home to roost in the last few weeks as can be seen on this site. Reserves who didn't make it through the aptitude tests realise now that they were taken for a ride. They had developed a sense of entitlement and thought that Reserve membership was a handy backdoor entry to the Garda Siochana. Now that this has not worked out for them they are building up a big grievance about their rejection. I can't wait to see their faces when they are being introduced to the new student Gardaí in a few months time, that's if they are still around.

• Advertisement

What I do or do not do for the community is none of your concern. But please spare me the "the Reserves are community spirited individuals" line. The chickens ( or in Callinan speak, the pigeons) have come home to roost in the last few weeks as can be seen on this site. Reserves who didn't make it through the aptitude tests realise now that they were taken for a ride. They had developed a sense of entitlement and thought that Reserve membership was a handy backdoor entry to the Garda Siochana. Now that this has not worked out for them they are building up a big grievance about their rejection. I can't wait to see their faces when they are being introduced to the new student Gardaí in a few months time, that's if they are still around.

Thank you for the reply. It is clear that your comments are unqualified and most are reserve negative and you have no more to contribute. Just sounds like sour grapes to me.
    a number of the new recruits will be former reserves and those that are not will be gaining valuable experience from all their colleagues both full time and reserve. As for seeing their faces not much chance of that now is there because you do not serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Anyone else trying to figure thus comment out

Self explanatory really.......

no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Can we ditch the current bitching that is on going and stay on topic!

:)

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Can we ditch the current bitching that is on going and stay on topic!

:)

In order to move on has anyone start ed to get to grips with the paperwork element which will be required when the new powers are devolved. Have started myself with the help of full time colleagues and it's going well. no doubt there will be some courses put in place to help us. The court appearances dont phase me as I have attended in a number of cases. First time in court was a bit of a sweater but managed to get through it without any mistakes despite a good grilling from the defence solicitor. Thank god for pro Gardai judges

Bloodwing wrote: »
    I am living in the real world and I'm not blindfolded I know exactly what its like to work a short unit, the reserve are not there to fill that gap and if it wasn't for the GRA they would be which is not the solution. You haven't offended me at all, but its not necessary to jump down my throat for giving my opinion.

If everyone had to do the aptitude test for the skippers and I failed I'd be disappointed but I wouldn't be feeling that I was hard done by.

Reserves regularly work on their own without a member standing beside them. PCSOs take part in community meetings and offer an insight from the point of view of someone who has experience and skills from other professions so why not extend the role of the reserve to this, I'm sure there are plenty of reserve who would enjoy that aspect of the job. Nowhere did I suggest that this is the only thing the reserve should be doing and neither did I suggest that they should stop what they're doing now.

You make reference to reserves already being in the job, and whilst they are members of AGS their roles and duties differ massively from that of the full time (as I pointed out already) so you cannot compare the two directly.

Would agree with blood wing. Have conducted many duties on my own and that has been encouraged by my sgt. A lot of time it's just putting yourself forward and showing the interest.

Someone in AGS needs to take the Reserve and show how cost effective it can be if used correctly and given the correct powers, anyone who can save a few million off a budget will find themselves moving up the ranks quicker than anything else.[/QUOTE]

There is a lot of validity in this comment . No doubt there would be some cost plus benefits but also a number of operational benefits

There is a lot of validity in this comment . No doubt there would be some cost plus benefits but also a number of operational benefits[/QUOTE]

Nobody is going to stick their head for the reserves even if it means saving money, head in the sand syndrome.

There is a lot of validity in this comment . No doubt there would be some cost plus benefits but also a number of operational benefits

Nobody is going to stick their head for the reserves even if it means saving money, head in the sand syndrome.[/QUOTE]

You just can't say that. You never know what will happen in the next six months

You just can't say that. You never know what will happen in the next six months

Raider i know you mean well but i think its time for everyone to wake up from the dream, its been 5mts since the up-skilling and what has come about from that nothing, we dont even have any type of representation should something go wrong who do we turn too, the full timers have the GRA so basically if you mess up your on your own, most haven't a clue what we do, what powers we have we come in walk about or get dumped in the car out of the way as they dont know what to be doing with us, there is no direction or leadership come in get your r85 signed off and away home till the next time you are in.

Unless someone takes ownership of the reserve force it is going to go nowhere and will be left in disarray as it is every force needs leadership without it things fall apart, you only have to look at the different Stations and the different things that reserves do there is no across the board rules its a do as you like until something happens and the sh1t hits the fan and then the reserve is up the creek and no paddle.

Raider i know you mean well but i think its time for everyone to wake up from the dream, its been 5mts since the up-skilling and what has come about from that nothing, we dont even have any type of representation should something go wrong who do we turn too, the full timers have the GRA so basically if you mess up your on your own, most haven't a clue what we do, what powers we have we come in walk about or get dumped in the car out of the way as they dont know what to be doing with us, there is no direction or leadership come in get your r85 signed off and away home till the next time you are in.

Unless someone takes ownership of the reserve force it is going to go nowhere and will be left in disarray as it is every force needs leadership without it things fall apart, you only have to look at the different Stations and the different things that reserves do there is no across the board rules its a do as you like until something happens and the sh1t hits the fan and then the reserve is up the creek and no paddle.

Do hear what your saying and have heard the same from some others . Have you made your liaison inspector aware of your feelings . We are encouraged to speak to ours . I myself have spoken to my supt who is genuinely interested .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Anyone any news on New Powers???

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    Anyone any news on New Powers???

Ya they are M.I.A hahahahah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Seems like a life-time since someone spoke with me personally about these alleged new powers.

Hope that Volunteer Garda Reserves won't be hung out like Junior Garda were according to that article.

Will their be provisions in place, by anyone, to assist Volunteer Garda Reserves in event legal action is taken against a member due to the use of these new powers?
    Will their be actual support from any senior staff, anywhere in the organisation for a volunteer Garda Reserve, in event it is needed?

Just hope when this kicks into gear, that precautions will be taken to assist ALL serving members, in event it is needed.

Just me being curious,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Seems like a life-time since someone spoke with me personally about these alleged new powers.

Hope that Volunteer Garda Reserves won't be hung out like Junior Garda were according to that article.

Will their be provisions in place, by anyone, to assist Volunteer Garda Reserves in event legal action is taken against a member due to the use of these new powers?
    Will their be actual support from any senior staff, anywhere in the organisation for a volunteer Garda Reserve, in event it is needed?

Just hope when this kicks into gear, that precautions will be taken to assist ALL serving members, in event it is needed.

Just me being curious,
    kerry4sam

That article just shows how things are and they won't change without a significant input of new Gardai. It's every man for himself now so it's hard to expect people to be available to babysit Reserves

kerry4sam wrote: »

Just me being curious,
    kerry4sam

why not try asking your liaison inspector, or you will have a chance real soon at new appreciation nights coming to a town near you, or be like everyone else stick your head in the sand and pretend everything is hunky dory when at these or the meeting with your sgt or inspectors, 99% of people remain shut lipped at these yet moan and groan about the situation.

the only way to resolve issues is to put them on the table regardless of the consequences of your actions.

That article just shows how things are and they won't change without a significant input of new Gardai. It's every man for himself now so it's hard to expect people to be available to babysit Reserves

its always been like that and wont change regardless of the manpower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Anybody going to Westmanstown this Saturday 10-1pm meeting for GR's..
    I wonder what's going to happen....!

Well people can go, make their voice heard and demand changes or alternatively just come on to this site and bitch away.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Well people can go, make their voice heard and demand changes or alternatively just come on to this site and bitch away.

Let us know how you get on. We have a meeting in the next few weeks with our inspector also. Hopefully good news.
    I will be asking the questions whether they like it or not. Sick of waiting at this stage.
    There will be new Trainees going in to Templemore next month and will be out in 8 months with full powers. Most will have never walked the beat before in their lives as it looks like very few reserves have got through.
    We are walking the beat for years with nothing.

Oh! before any one has a go at me, im not trying to stir anything up.
    Congrats to those who have got through. well done.
    I know the lad will have a full 8 months training, more than we will ever get, and im not having a go at them.

• Advertisement

the first thing that will happen is one of the Inspectors will stand up and make an announcement, dont ask questions about the following radios, powers, we know as much as you do and its been asked before many times, try and come up with new questions. yet that are really the only questions we need answered why have we done the training and still not got them, why have we not been issued with radios as part of our equipment despite there been an abundance of them, at the end of the day regardless of what any person on here or in any station think, we are a rank under the Garda Siochana act 2005 and as such should be given personal issue radios, and not pool ones that you spend half the night looking for a working one, under health & Safety it should come as part of your PPE.

i would suggest to people attending if they do say the above make a point of bringing it up at each table, if every table brings it up and nothing else then they will have to do something, if people sit back and say nothing well then put up with the problems.

Advertisement