Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

fxotoole wrote: »
    When the tracker says that applications normally take x amount of days at each stage, this refers to passport express applications in Ireland only.

Postal applications from Britain take 6 weeks to process at the moment, so you won't see the application moving until about a week before the target issue date.

Thank you very much. That's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭kilk

hi my son plans to travel from ireland to france next week, he has just been informed that he would need 6 months remaining on his passport to go. it expires in oct this year.
    I wasn't aware the conditions had been changed or has he been misinformed?

any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

kilk wrote: »
    hi my son plans to travel from ireland to france next week, he has just been informed that he would need 6 months remaining on his passport to go. it expires in oct this year.
    I wasn't aware the conditions had been changed or has he been misinformed?

any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

I went to Germany (Berlin) in May.

My passport expires next week.

The only thing that was said to me at passport control was . . . "Your passport needs to be updated soon". . .and on I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Who told him it needed six months?

Between EU countries there is no minimum validity required on a passport, in fact individual countries cannot deny you entry unless your passport is actually expired. However airlines are free to have their own rules on this, and some airlines may stick to the six months rule.

6 months is the typical requirement for travelling outside of the EU, so many people often get confused and assume it's a blanket rule worldwide and some airlines continue to maintain it for simplicity's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

He's been misinformed.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Who told him it needed six months?

Between EU countries there is no minimum validity required on a passport, in fact individual countries cannot deny you entry unless your passport is actually expired. However airlines are free to have their own rules on this, and some airlines may stick to the six months rule.

6 months is the typical requirement for travelling outside of the EU, so many people often get confused and assume it's a blanket rule worldwide and some airlines continue to maintain it for simplicity's sake.

I presume it was one of his friends who told him. He will be going by ferry, so hopefully there will be no prob.

He's been misinformed.

so, he will have no problem using his current one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kilk wrote: »
    I presume it was one of his friends who told him. He will be going by ferry, so hopefully there will be no prob.

He may not even be asked to show his passport, I've driven off ferries twice in France and never been stopped, cops just stood there and let everyone drive off.

Some Asian and Gulf countries require you to have at least 6 months remaining on your passport, it definitely does not apply to the EU or the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

Hi everyone,

I'm flying on a Saturday the 25th of this month.

The 'target issue date' on my passport renewal is the 23rd July.

Does this mean it will only get posted on the 23rd or that I will receive it at my house on the 23rd?

(The 23rd will be exactly 15 working days from when they received it and they are saying their current turnabout time is 12 days average.)

It switched from Stage 1 to stage 2 very quickly in about 1 or 2 days or so, but I'm at Stage 2 for about a week now when it says the average is usually 4 days.

If they only post it on the 23rd, I am in Ireland and should receive it on the 24th, is this correct?

I'm worried though that if there is an even longer delay and they don't post it until the Friday the 24th then I won't receive it until the Monday when I'm flying on the Saturday so will need it at my house by Friday the 24th at the latest.

My travel agent has already told me that if there is any trouble that she can print me off evidence of my already paid for booked holiday and flights and that this can sometimes quicken the process.

It will cost me a lot of money to travel to and from Dublin and is something I hope to avoid, but if I need to visit the passport office I will.

At what point should I be worried, and think "ok need to get evidence of my flights and take a trip to Dublin" to see if it can be hurried in some way or to see if it will be certain I will have the passport by 24th July at the latest?

Thanks for any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 phanley

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone know if its possible to have 2 Irish passports at the same time?

I am planning a big trip next year, and only have 6 pages left in my passport which has another 4 years on it. I'd like to fill it(bit of a bucket list thing), and then use the new fresh empty one one.

So I was wondering, is it possible to get a new passport without surrendering my current one and hold 2 active passports?
    I know it may be possible when travelling to Israel but I don't have any further details on this, I dont know is it an emergency passport type thing with a couple of pages and limited dates.

Can anyone shed any light on it ??

Thanks
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

I can't help from the Irish angle but I know the UK exceptionally allows it if there are "business requirements " ie if one passport needs to be sent off for visas (some countries can take months to issue a business visa). Israel has taken to issuing visa/ stamping on a separate piece of paper that you remove after you leave the country to avoid "conflicts" should you travel to another ME country on the same passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Back in 1994 I got an a version of my passport with my name "as Gaelige" and to my surprise was not asked to hand my original passport which had the English version of my name. All a bit Irish if you ask me.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

I got a 2nd passport but needed letter from HR manager of the company to say it was for VISA purposes. We are constantly on the road making visa applications a nightmare so 2nd passport was needed.

But then a colleague went into the office and get a 2nd passport (with 3 years validity only) without any letters or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CasualJogger

Hi Guys,

I'll get stuck in straight away;

Recently on entering the UK my passport wouldn't scan on the self-service booths at Stanstead. So I was whisked aside to UK border agent who tried scanning it on their system to no avail. I was told I have a faulty or broken RFID chip. I've never used the booths before but my passport is two years old now so it could have broken.

I was told there isn't an issue with the EU but if I'm travelling to Canada, Australia and especially the USA I will encounter problems up to and including refusal of admission.

I have since contact the Irish DFA without any luck (busiest time of year I guess) and the US embassy said I need to get a new passport. I would but I have a Russian student visa that still is valid in it and thus don't need the hassle of applying for a new one (they take ages).

Thus my question is, has anyone had this problem? If so any issues entering the USA? And finally can a passport be repaired or do I most certainly need a new one?

Thanks in advance lads,

An e-Passport contains an electronic chip. The chip holds the same information that is printed on the passport's data page: the holder's name, date of birth, and other biographic information. An e-Passport also contains a biometric identifier.

The United States requires that travelers entering the United States under the Visa Waiver Program have an e-Passport if their passport was issued on or after October 26, 2006.

http://www.dhs.gov/e-passports

The RFID chip is embedded in the passport, there is no way it can be repaired, replacement is your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I just heard of someone travelling to Canada this morning ex Dublin being refused boarding because of such a problem.

roundymac wrote: »
    I just heard of someone travelling to Canada this morning ex Dublin being refused boarding because of such a problem.

How did that happen? Do the airline check-in desks have the ability to read the chip? I note that this was not a US flight - what airline was involved? Are all of the check-in desks in Dublin able to read the chip in the passport or do certain airlines have handheld scanners for that purpose at check-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

Hi

The passport office received my passport applications on 23rd June. Target issue date is 13th July but my applications (renewal for me and new for my child) are still at stage 2 of 6 stages. We are due to travel to England on Friday with Aer Lingus. I know Aer Lingus doesn't require passengers to show valid passports but my husband is not travelling with us. I'm wondering if my child will be allowed to travel without a passport, if her passport doesn't come through?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

She is 7. Also, do you know if it's possible to go from stage 2 to 6 in one day?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

phanley wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering does anyone know if its possible to have 2 Irish passports at the same time?

I am planning a big trip next year, and only have 6 pages left in my passport which has another 4 years on it. I'd like to fill it(bit of a bucket list thing), and then use the new fresh empty one one.

So I was wondering, is it possible to get a new passport without surrendering my current one and hold 2 active passports?
    I know it may be possible when travelling to Israel but I don't have any further details on this, I dont know is it an emergency passport type thing with a couple of pages and limited dates.

Can anyone shed any light on it ??

Thanks
    Paul

You can apply for a second valid passport for business purposes. I.e. If your passport is constantly at embassies for visa applications, and you have evidence of this, and you also have a letter from your employer and other documentation, you can apply for a business passport.

I know of no other circumstances in which you'd get a second valid passport.

If you've used up most of the visa pages on your passport, and you can't make a business case for a business passport, you would just have to apply for a replacement passport, I'm afraid.

Thanks for that. I've been trying to get through to the passport office for a while now and also sent two emails - no replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Paulbeth wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I've been trying to get through to the passport office for a while now and also sent two emails - no replies.

Yet. :-)

fxotoole wrote: »
    Yet. :-)

Indeed.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andyclfc

Hey all, in seriously bad situation. I'm due to fly to Poland Thursday morning (best man for a wedding) and I just realised my passport is out of date. I've tried to get an appointment tomorrow but they're all gone. I'm based in Cork. Is it a wasted trip driving to Dublin tomorrow and pleading my case? Can a passport even be issued in one day?

Thanks

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement