Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

theg81der wrote: »
    Hi! My son is a week old and i`m breastfeeding. Can anyone tell me how often i should be feeding now? he seems to live on the breast i ony finish and e wants on again. its annoying cause i can`t even cuddle him or he`s mad for milk.

Cluster feeding is normal for the first few weeks and then it usually levels out a bit, with the exception of growth spurts. I know it is tough but just keep feeding on demand. Your baby is getting everything he needs from you, and by feeding frequently he is signalling to your body how much milk it needs to produce. Enjoy him while he is still tiny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Yes it's totally normal.I loved the 1st few weeks as all I did was relax feed and enjoy my newborn cuddle up in bed together :) feed pattern will settle down soon congrats on your newborn

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Has anyone got info for a lactation expert in Galway that I could see this week??

I have a 3week old and and as he hasn`t latched on properly sinced day 1 so i`ve been expressing exclusively - could i possibly get him back on the boob?
    Has anyone else managed at this late stage?
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

in my opinion, yes you can, but you need to act quick so he can be latched before the next groth spurt. Ring the hospital that you used for the birth and ask if they have a lactation consultant, it could be free to see one there for the first 6 weeks. If not they should be able to suggest one. I called the number for the local crudiu coincilor and they gave me a number for one, she called to the house on day 4 and she managed to get baby latched on the left side and latched with the aid of nipple shields on the right side. best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Fri.Day wrote: »
    Has anyone got info for a lactation expert in Galway that I could see this week??

I have a 3week old and and as he hasn`t latched on properly sinced day 1 so i`ve been expressing exclusively - could i possibly get him back on the boob?

hi im breastfeeding for 12 weeks now the first 2 weeks were terrible tryin to get him to latch on the best i was shown was when i was lying in bed and he was lying beside me or i was on the couch lyin back but my feet were propped up on my coffee table i thought but everyones different you could try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

theg81der wrote: »
    Hi! My son is a week old and i`m breastfeeding. Can anyone tell me how often i should be feeding now? he seems to live on the breast i ony finish and e wants on again. its annoying cause i can`t even cuddle him or he`s mad for milk.

I would definately have him feeding as often and for as long as he will at this early stage, it will make sure he gets loads of practice and establish a good supply. As someone else said, just put your feet up and enjoy just relaxing while he feeds, soon enough it will settle down.

Hi! It took my first daughter 6 weeks before she was on the breast properly, all during that time I was expressing 8 times a day. If you keep your milk supply up, I dont see any reason why you wouldn be able to get him on. I think some babies who have been introduced to a bottle very early, might just find the breast too much hard work. Once they are a little bigger, their weight is on target and they are strong, they pick it up. At 6 weeks, my girl was good for weight and strong enough that I just went cold turkey, no more supplementary bottles and had her weight checked at few days interval, as long as she was still gaining it was fine, and after just a week she was a pro and we breastfed for 9 months!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You can drop in to st. angelas ward in UHG every Wed from 2-4. Double check the times and day before you set off. I found them very helpful when my son was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Hi! It took my first daughter 6 weeks before she was on the breast properly, all during that time I was expressing 8 times a day. If you keep your milk supply up, I dont see any reason why you wouldn be able to get him on. I think some babies who have been introduced to a bottle very early, might just find the breast too much hard work. Once they are a little bigger, their weight is on target and they are strong, they pick it up. At 6 weeks, my girl was good for weight and strong enough that I just went cold turkey, no more supplementary bottles and had her weight checked at few days interval, as long as she was still gaining it was fine, and after just a week she was a pro and we breastfed for 9 months!

Yep I`m expressing 6-8 times so I`m keeping my supply up, I express at 1/2am and 5/6am, got 110mls this morning at 7am, a record so far...
    My milk came in very early after birth, 24hrs after birth I was so totally engorged I couldn`t sleep and the nurses told me not to touch them or express and give him a bottle of aptamil cos his blood sugars were low :( I`d had an emergency section so wasn`t in the right frame of mind to fight my corner.
    Neyite wrote: »
    You can drop in to st. angelas ward in UHG every Wed from 2-4. Double check the times and day before you set off. I found them very helpful when my son was born.
    Yep I`ll do that, Thanks, hopefully they can get us back on track.

I`m giving him 7 feeds a day of 80mls and he`s putting on weight, after 2 weeks he was up 10ozs. He`s sleeping from 10/11 through til 6/7 so other than not actually being breastfed he`s a dream child so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Does anyone have any tips on positions for bf while you're pregnant? I'm 16 wks now and my bump has just exploded in the last week. My 1 year old pokes it and doesn't understand why he can't just lie across Mummy's tummy as usual! He's 11.5kgs and his weight makes me feel sick when he's in his normal position - still like cradle hold with the head, but bum sitting on my lap. I've tried side-lying but the bump is too uncomfortable, though I know that'll be better once it gets a bit bigger and can rest on the matress. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Yep I`m expressing 6-8 times so I`m keeping my supply up, I express at 1/2am and 5/6am, got 110mls this morning at 7am, a record so far...
    My milk came in very early after birth, 24hrs after birth I was so totally engorged I couldn`t sleep and the nurses told me not to touch them or express and give him a bottle of aptamil cos his blood sugars were low :( I`d had an emergency section so wasn`t in the right frame of mind to fight my corner.

Thats similar to what happened to me, didnt have a c-section but was a bit baffled anyway from the first birth experience and just went along with the nurse who gave a bottle the first night, I was in tears, but had no clue. My last one I told every nurse I saw that this child was not to be given a bottle, that if needed be I wanted seringe or spoon feed instead, some looked at me a bit strange thinking I was over the top probably, but I know thats what went wrong with the first. The second one took to it like a duck to water, thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AnnieBur

Hi - first time poster here. I'm exclusively BF my 8 week old son. Thankfully it's going well most of the time, but I still get occasionally painful nipples due to an inconsistent latch.

Does anyone have any experience with Biological Nurturing?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

AnnieBur wrote: »
    Hi - first time poster here. I'm exclusively BF my 8 week old son. Thankfully it's going well most of the time, but I still get occasionally painful nipples due to an inconsistent latch.

Thats like laid-back nursing isnt it? I tried it a few times but my problem was that he was a gulper, and would frequently splutter while feeding, and he also was refluxy/colicky/windy and no sooner would I have laid down in position but I'd have to sit up to burp him, or sit him up to stop him choking. I imagine for a calmer feeder it is a lovely relaxing position.

I found with latching, that I sometimes had to adjust the baby's lower lip while he was on the breast in the beginning, just gently roll it outward to the correct position, rather than get him worked off by taking him off the breast and trying to reposition a now angry baby back on. He curls the lip outward now automatically.

I used to do the same roll the bottom lip out. I had forgotten all about it till I read the last post!! Gosh the things you forget and my little man is only 7 months ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Does anyone have any tips on positions for bf while you're pregnant? I'm 16 wks now and my bump has just exploded in the last week. My 1 year old pokes it and doesn't understand why he can't just lie across Mummy's tummy as usual! He's 11.5kgs and his weight makes me feel sick when he's in his normal position - still like cradle hold with the head, but bum sitting on my lap. I've tried side-lying but the bump is too uncomfortable, though I know that'll be better once it gets a bit bigger and can rest on the matress. Any ideas?

Would he sit on your lap facing you? so his weight is spread differently?
    AnnieBur wrote: »

Best and easiest way to nurse, especially in the early days in my opinion.
    Literally lie baby on your tummy near the boob and let them work away...
    When there are other issues at play- fast letdown, tongue tie, tired mama etc.
    There should never be pain breastfeeding- tenderness maybe, but not pain. It's a sign that something isn't right- you've mentioned an inconsistent latch... if you're not sure what the reason for the inconsistent latch is it could be worth calling a cuidiu breastfeeding counsellor, or going to a cuidiu or la lache league meeting, they might have some suggestions to help improve latch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Any idea on why babs would keep latching and unlatching constantly (and how to stop her!)? It's from both sides and in every position: she is having problems with pooing so she does get very uncomfortable: would that be causing it maybe? She starts to cry too so it's very distressing for both of us: it's only in the last day or so this has started up again (i had problems at the start with latching on one side).

Also when on earth do they stop feeding two hours: I am seriously, seriously tired: max I ever get is 3 hours!

cyning, sounds like wind. or even the start of colic.

you're little girl is 6 weeks right?

honestly the feeding constantly does stop. can you feed him lying down? as in, in bed or on the couch. this was the only way i had a life in the first few weeks. also it helped with his wind.

other than that you could try infacol drops or colief drops, they are both available in the supermarket. they are a pain but if you give one does before a feed and baby managed to empty a boob in about half an hour then it may indicate baby had built up wind.

My 2 had colic from 6 weeks to 12 and 14 weeks, come 15 weeks they were both angels and a pleasure to have.

also humus drove my baby mad! try stay away from it!

best advice i can give is some i saw here, never give up on a bad day.

I remember the days when I thought to myself, baby, you can't want to nurse again, i havent had a bath in 2 days... someone take this baby so I can breath for a minute.

but i think you just to have to think of feeding a baby in the first few weeks like weening them off the unbilical cord, they've been able to graze for 40 weeks and now they need to get used to taking a few minutes break during the day!

how is baby sleeping for you?

She's an awful sleeper: she wakes up constantly and even when she does sleep grunts and moans: and every now and again screeches which frightens the life out of me :)

Ya I think I'm jealous of all the bottle fed babies that sleep for 4,5 or even 6 hours: it seems pretty alien to me right now.

I'll try the infacol again: I had been using it before for her (someone told me it was
    Good for helping with pooping), but had stopped using it once she was given the laxose...

I swear if it wasn't for the side by side breastfeeding I'd have given up in the first week it's a lifesaver!

I bottlefed my first from 3 weeks, she had a 1 oz per hour, day or night. I often fell asleep with a bottle in her mouth and her in my arms. She was like that till 3 months.

Atleast you're not nauseous anymore, right? :)

No definitely not nauseous: and I have a newfound appreciation for food... If I don't stop eating at the rate I'm going right now I'm going to have gained more weight in the first 6 months of her being born than in the whole 9 months I was pregnant :) I gained 3 pounds last week!!

I just really missed food!

• Advertisement

Do you have a sling or a swing? both can be handy for after a feed to get the last of any wind up, does she cry in her car seat?

She's great in her car seater and in her bouncer too: I have a baby carrier thingy: she spends a lot of time up in my arms too: kinda hard to avoid with all the feeding :)

I'm hoping the infacol helps: I do know when she poops it's not so bad so hopefully it is just wind and it solves it: I live in dread of colic

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Hi everyone, first time posting in this thread. I'm exclusively breast feeding my 8 day old daughter, had been finding it ok after a few initial issues with latching on.
    My problem now is that she seems to be feeding constantly. For example I just haven't been able to get her down for the last 6 hours straight. I feed her then wind her and put her down then about ten minutes later shes looking for more! She doesnt seem to be just sucking for comfort as shes sucking very strongly for most of the feed. I'm just worried maybe I'm not producing enough milk for her and thats why she keeps looking for more. My boobs feel quite soft compared to how full they were when my milk first came in. She had been sleeping for long periods of maybe 5-6 hours where I wouldnt have been feeding and I'm afraid that may have affected my supply.
    Sorry for the long post but I'm at my wits end. I'm sitting downstairs feeding her so OH can get some sleep. I just feel like I'm doing all the work but feel like i must be doing something wrong as she seems so unsettled. The hormones combined with OH suggesting changing to bottle feeding hasn't helped either. Please tell me this gets easier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Thats perfectly normal,she is just trying to get your milk established.Dont worry it does get easier,much easier.
    She will be coming up to a growth spurt and it will feel like its never ending but do get some nice snacks in,dvds,books.
    Anything to pass the time quicker,get partner to take baby for a walk just so you can shower have a coffee.This will benefit you as well as the baby.
    Lastly if you feel like you want baby to sleep just go for a walk all mine slept for hours while i was out.
    Finally the first 6 weeks are the hardest but once thats over with you will look back and remember you gave your baby the best start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

0ctober wrote: »
    My problem now is that she seems to be feeding constantly She doesnt seem to be just sucking for comfort as shes sucking very strongly for most of the feed. I'm just worried maybe I'm not producing enough milk for her and thats why she keeps looking for more. My boobs feel quite soft compared to how full they were when my milk first came in. She had been sleeping for long periods of maybe 5-6 hours where I wouldnt have been feeding and I'm afraid that may have affected my supply.

Perfectly normal. As dubstar said, she's getting your supply established. The only way to do this is by her sucking. Your OH is trying to be helpful by suggesting bottle feeding, but all that will do is add sterilising and making up formula to the list of things to do. Breastfeeding can be tough at the start, but within a few weeks, it's way easier that the bottle. Sleeping for 5-6 hours is not a problem, it's great. Your body and your baby is a lot smarter than you think. One of the midwives in the hospital suggested waking my wee man for feeds, but I never did. The rule in our house is - don't poke the bear!

Just go with it, get comfortable and delegate jobs to your other half - bathing her, nappy-changing, making dinner etc. Your job for now is feeding babs.

0ctober wrote: »
    Hi everyone, first time posting in this thread. I'm exclusively breast feeding my 8 day old daughter, had been finding it ok after a few initial issues with latching on.
    My problem now is that she seems to be feeding constantly. For example I just haven't been able to get her down for the last 6 hours straight. I feed her then wind her and put her down then about ten minutes later shes looking for more! She doesnt seem to be just sucking for comfort as shes sucking very strongly for most of the feed. I'm just worried maybe I'm not producing enough milk for her and thats why she keeps looking for more. My boobs feel quite soft compared to how full they were when my milk first came in. She had been sleeping for long periods of maybe 5-6 hours where I wouldnt have been feeding and I'm afraid that may have affected my supply.
    Sorry for the long post but I'm at my wits end. I'm sitting downstairs feeding her so OH can get some sleep. I just feel like I'm doing all the work but feel like i must be doing something wrong as she seems so unsettled. The hormones combined with OH suggesting changing to bottle feeding hasn't helped either. Please tell me this gets easier :(

As the others have said, all normal. :) We were told by a mum that the first 7 weeks are the worst, after that they settle down loads. Thats why you need to utterly ignore any housework, visitors etc and just concentrate on feeding baby or resting yourself - even if you dont feel like a nap in the morning, come 10pm you'll wish you had one. So stock up lots of sleeps in your sleep bank.

One thing I wish I had done was delegate the burping to the OH. I was better at it than him, so I used to do it, but I should have showed him how and took off for a sleep as my arms ached with all the feeding plus the burping time. Like you, baby was in my arms for hours at a time.

The other thing I wish I did more was trust my body to give baby what he needs. On day 2 I felt the same as you - that he was starving and not getting anything from me, and I gave him a formula feed feeling wretched with myself. Only for a former BF mum visited me and reassured me it was normal and establishing the supply I probably would have given up and formula fed, which I really didnt want to do.

My guy was colicky (we thought) so we had colief drops and these had to be added to an ounce of milk. So not only did I cluster feed, I expressed and lined up bottles in the fridge with the ounce+drops in. Then these had to be warmed, then washed, then sterilised. Now we fixed that problem and he's grand so we dont use anything and the convenience of popping him on the boob is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Thanks so much for all your replies, it's really helped to reassure me. The public health nurse was out again today and my little lady has gained 5 ounces since friday so I'm delighted! Its really reassured me that shes getting enough.
    I think you're all right about needing to delegate jobs, I think OH seems to think I have the easier job staying at home while he has to go to work. A day spent with constant feeding and changing would quickly change his mind! Thanks again everyone, feeling so much more confident today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Just wanted to post to echo the comments and say to stick with it. I'm now BF for 12 weeks and its gotten so, so, so much easier. I'd a friend visiting today and I could just feed baby without having to organise a steriliser and bottle. Plus its so much handier for night feeds and if you want to go away with baby for a night, no need to pack up loads of feeding equipment!

It helped me to say I'd get to six weeks, then at six weeks I aimed for 12 weeks, now I'm aiming for 18 weeks. Take it a week at a time. We give one bottle of expressed or formula milk a day, so my husband can feed baby and I get a break, but that's just what works for us.

Something that helped me with being tired in the early weeks was to feed baby and then go straight to bed leaving baby with OH he would bring baby up to me if he started to get unsettled. I tried going to sleep with baby when he did but I found I didn't sleep well or not at all from checking him and listening to him mooching :) so it was great to get this undisturbed sleep. The 1st few times we did this I didn't sleep great because I was worrying was everything ok downstairs with them I quickly learned that everything was fine and got some sleep :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Some sort of rugby hold with him beside you and your arm cradling him?

Advertisement