Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double standards for groping

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Girls do it just as much as men.
    Men rarely complain unless its an ugly girl.

Women hardly every complain to bar/security staff until they leave or days after to their mates.

Any complaints about groping need to be done on the spot so the person can be thrown out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

Anyone who says, "I don't mind a bit of groping". What if it was a gay lad groping you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Anyone who says, "I don't mind a bit of groping". What if it was a gay lad groping you?

Class it as the same.
    Unwanted attention is still unwanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Actually, the connection between groping and sexual repression is normally that the one who does the groping, or the "tapping on the ass" is the one who is sexually repressed. Your desire for interaction exceeds your ability to function socially...basically these people are social retards.

No. That makes no sense. Because you tap someone on the ass = sexually repressed? Again, nope. It may mean they are not adhering to social norms but sexually repressed, I dont see the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

guitarzero wrote: »
    No. That makes no sense. Because you tap someone on the ass = sexually repressed? Again, nope. It may mean they are not adhering to social norms but sexually repressed, I dont see the connection.

Think of a child who has yet to develop a decent understanding of the sharing concept. They see another child playing with something, they want it. They don't stop to think about "sharing" or "permission", they just go up and take the toy off them.

Similar with a sexually repressed person, they don't know how to adequately express their desire in a reasonable manner because for whatever reason at some point in their live that desire was a taboo, so they never properly figured out how to deal with it normally, so rather than walk up to a girl and instigate a conversation they grab her ass. Like a monkey in a lab who hasn't been shocked enough when he pulls the wrong lever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Think of a child who has yet to develop a decent understanding of the sharing concept. They see another child playing with something, they want it. They don't stop to think about "sharing" or "permission", they just go up and take the toy off them.

Similar with a sexually repressed person, they don't know how to adequately express their desire in a reasonable manner because for whatever reason at some point in their live that desire was a taboo, so they never properly figured out how to deal with it normally, so rather than walk up to a girl and instigate a conversation they grab her ass. Like a monkey in a lab who hasn't been shocked enough when he pulls the wrong lever.

Again, its not repression, its lack of social/cultural understanding. Repression would probably be not doing anything, maybe feeling guilty at having looked at her ass, praying to god for forgiveness but its not repression. Its a misguided sexual advance but the fact that he actually groped the ass shows he gave himself an outlet. So theres no repression.

Thats not to say he isnt sexually repressed to some degree but the math you make doesnt add up.

guitarzero wrote: »
    Again, its not repression, its lack of social/cultural understanding. Repression would probably be not doing anything, maybe feeling guilty at having looked at her ass, praying to god for forgiveness but its not repression. Its a misguided sexual advance but the fact that he actually groped the ass shows he gave himself an outlet. So theres no repression.

Thats not to say he isnt sexually repressed to some degree but the math you make doesnt add up.

Of course the math doesn't add up, it's a complex issue. It's a misguided thing to think that sexual repression only manifests as an inability to carry out some function of a desire. Hell, one of the biggest offshoots of early age sexual repression (either societal or religious or parental) is going into sexual overdrive at the first hint of freedom.

Have a read of some Bill Paris, he manages to make it interesting and highlight the complex nature of sexual repression without being preachy about it or coming down too hard on either side of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Sindri wrote: »
    The legal definition of what your espousing is called rape. ;)

The verb is "to grope" when it's consensual, "to grape" when it's not. Dermot O'Leary got graped.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Men groping women is pretty much acceptable, you get called a bitch or a tease if you tell him to stop.

It also happens much more to women. There. I said it (*gasp* men and women don't have equal experiences!?)

Also, both sexes are equally as shallow when it comes to groping, a man would never complain about getting groped by a hot girl, neither would a woman complain about getting groped by a sexy man.

Also, both sexes are equally as shallow when it comes to groping, a man would never complain about getting groped by a hot girl, neither would a woman complain about getting groped by a sexy man.

And somehow the thread just got a whole lot more stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

cloptrop wrote: »
    The daily mail never had a problem with the groping , I did , then someone made a joke , I made a few jokes , dont let your view of the story be thwarted by my attention deficit disorder.
    :D Fair enough. I guess it didn't really look like you genuinely had a problem with the groping thing, you had more of a 'why don't I get groped' kinda complaint as far as I could see. That's what you get when you're serious and joking in the same thread I suppose.
    Anyways, yup, should be treated the same for both genders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

let's stir up some sexual anarchy I declare tomorrow grope a dope day.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

Men groping women is pretty much acceptable, you get called a bitch or a tease if you tell him to stop.

but you're a slut if you don't.

i strongly disagree with groping being socially acceptable. The one place it may be is in nightclubs but that's only a small fraction of society. Can't see it going down well in a queue in the supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

A couple of days later , but oh wait a drunk man did the groping .
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4214299/Danny-Care-arrested-over-sexual-assault-claims.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DonkyPlonk

what about a National Grope Day so that everyone can get those stunted grope feelings out of the way.

It would increase productivity in the workplace for the rest of the year.

Advertisement