Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double standards for groping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Some chap in england got jailed for grabbing a girl by the tit last year he was only 18 or something , where is the difference like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Anyone else spot the dangerous implication here, groping is ok if you're just a little less repressed. Tell that to a woman who's been on the end of unwarranted sexual attention.

You got it back to front, I'm saying that you're more likely to make a big deal out of being groped the more sexually repressed you are or if you are a woman.

Unwarranted sexual attention?? A bit of a vague area that. If I go up to a girl who I may think likes me and say to her "I think you're pretty sexy" or even tap her ass, what then? If I'm gonna be that sensitive then I find your username pretty sexually unwarranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

guitarzero wrote: »
    You got it back to front, I'm saying that you're more likely to make a big deal out of being groped the more sexually repressed you are or if you are a woman.

Unwarranted sexual attention?? A bit of a vague area that. If I go up to a girl who I may think likes me and say to her "I think you're pretty sexy" or even tap her ass, what then? If I'm gonna be that sensitive then I find your username pretty sexually unwarranted.

My username is related to a walrus, are you messing or what? :D

And I'm not getting it backwards, you're implying that "making a big deal" out of groping is a negative thing. And saying less repressed women don't mind it as much. Which is rubbish.

Yes and why are fat aul wans allowed wave their tits about the pub or city centre but if I get my nob out Im a sex offender and cast from society forever. Not even allowed own a computer anymore.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Actually, the connection between groping and sexual repression is normally that the one who does the groping, or the "tapping on the ass" is the one who is sexually repressed. Your desire for interaction exceeds your ability to function socially...basically these people are social retards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I always get groped by men in clubs, Every single girl I now has been whistled at / groped since they were 14. The point is; We're so used to it, we've learned to shake it off.

Men are more sensitive to this thing because it happens way less often to them, so when it does they freak out, and get a massive victimisation complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I always get groped by men in clubs, Every single girl I now has been whistled at / groped since they were 14. The point is; We're so used to it, we've learned to shake it off.

Men are more sensitive to this thing because it happens way less often to them, so when it does they freak out, and get a massive victimisation complex.

No, the victimisation complex stems from the problem where Men are frowned upon for such behaviour where it seems perfectly fine for a woman to do it.

There was a thread here before about a guy in a pub who get his crotch felt by some woman, he just shook it off but felt annoyed that the reverse situation would never be tolerated here. You wouldn't go around feeling fanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Eathrin wrote: »
    No, the victimisation complex stems from the problem where Men are frowned upon for such behaviour where it seems perfectly fine for a woman to do it.

There was a thread here before about a guy in a pub who get his crotch felt by some woman, he just shook it off but felt annoyed that the reverse situation would never be tolerated here. You wouldn't go around feeling fanny.

Men think they're great when they do this, and if you say anything back to them at all you're a bitch or something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

What happens if you have a disorder where you have no control of your hands? No one ever thinks of Timmy Mad Hands, do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Warper wrote: »
    No one ever thinks of Timmy Mad Hands, do they?

Oh I don't know, women loved that Scissorhands fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

cloptrop wrote: »
    Tupac claimed to only grab the girls ass and apparantly was done on sex assault and not rape.
    Just because Dermot laughed it off doesnt make it ok , he had to , itd be bad for his career if he didnt , just like a secretaries in the 50s would be expected to laugh off a tap on the arse from the boss.
    I get that, and it's true, I'm just saying the media treated it as hilarious. They're the worst in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've never minded someone groping my ass, but then I'm a man and a lot less sexually repressed.
    What if a man groped your ass? Would you just laugh it off then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭as125634do

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Eh, stuff like that happens to me on nights out all the time, even when walking down the street etc. It really annoys me that I can't do anything about it and it's sick that some of them are way older than me, and obviously I don't go around grabbing random guy's asses. But none of those men are going to be charged with harassment, so why should a woman be?

I just puked in my mouth..older humand beinh attracted ti younger better looking humans. That is sick inhumane wat is the world coming to . Im never leaving my house again if thats the savagery that goes on outside

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Johro wrote: »
    But it's nothing to do with you. If Dermot O'Leary wants her 'brought to book' he can make an official complaint. I doubt he's arsed, excuse the pun. If he did, then there'd be a story. A minor one.

Of course it's a story. If a woman is raped, but doesn't report it, is it not a story/issue?

Your attitude illustrates the OP's point perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Men think they're great when they do this, and if you say anything back to them at all you're a bitch or something :rolleyes:

That's not cool, nobody should have to put up with unwanted groping, regardless of which gender is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    That's not cool, nobody should have to put up with unwanted groping, regardless of which gender is involved.

agreed, most men and women find it disgusting and abusive. i wouldn't grope a man because i can imagine it's extremely unpleasant - and most can't even tell you to feck off because they'd be seen as aggressive and rude to a woman. well, except for my man but he seems to enjoy it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

So what's the attitude of chicks who do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tupac was a rapist? Honestly never knew that. Better add my tupac tapes to my R.Kelly c.d.s and Gary Glitter records in the bin.

Of course it's a story. If a woman is raped, but doesn't report it, is it not a story/issue?

Your attitude illustrates the OP's point perfectly.
    Oh I didn't realise Dermot got raped.
    The fact there's a double standard is not news. It's been around a while now. You haven't a clue about my attitude.

Duh... Not many on here disputing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So I guess it is true, Tupac could have been a Premier League roaster(Footballer).

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    It's hard to know if you're serious here, OP. I can see your point and I agree but your posts are jokey and if you were really concerned about this, then perhaps AH isn't the place to post about it. If you're just making a point for the sake of it, then it's hard to take what you say seriously when you comment on the woman's looks etc (which should be besides the point) therefore making the plight of men being groped in public a little hard to take seriously by many. Ye get me?
    Exactly. And the Daily Mail treated it in much the same way while delighting us all with the photographs so we could all participate in the fun of it.
    And the OP went from treating it as a laugh to altogether more serious, then a joke again. We do know the double standards exist, however. I don't think that was the point of the article tbh. The article doesn't have a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

as125634do wrote: »
    Eh, stuff like that happens to me on nights out all the time, even when walking down the street etc. It really annoys me that I can't do anything about it and it's sick that some of them are way older than me, and obviously I don't go around grabbing random guy's asses. But none of those men are going to be charged with harassment, so why should a woman be?
    I just puked in my mouth..older humand beinh attracted ti younger better looking humans. That is sick inhumane wat is the world coming to . Im never leaving my house again if thats the savagery that goes on outside
    But you know she said it's the groping she has an issue with, not the being attracted to her... so why talk shyte?

The daily mail never had a problem with the groping , I did , then someone made a joke , I made a few jokes , dont let your view of the story be thwarted by my attention deficit disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

cloptrop wrote: »
    Johro wrote: »
    But it's nothing to do with you. If Dermot O'Leary wants her 'brought to book' he can make an official complaint. I doubt he's arsed, excuse the pun. If he did, then there'd be a story. A minor one.

It has everything to do with me , why is she allowed grope whom she likes when I cant , who will she grope next ?

It sounds like your only issue is that you can't grope women without getting in trouble. You're also a complete WUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

In fairness - I wouldn't mind being groped a bit every now and then
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What if a man groped your ass? Would you just laugh it off then?

Happened to me a few years ago. Felt hands on my arse and turned around and it was a fella. He ran off into the crowd before i could thump him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I had my balls grabbed by a girl in a nightclub. She was standing behind me and put her hand up between my legs and fondled me. I just ignored her. Probably should have complained to the bouncers but wouldn't think they'd have taken it seriously anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I said this before in another thread (long dead) anyone male who has worked in a bar where hen parties go, will have had his arse felt more than once, or been groped while around on the floor, never heard one complaint.. but if 1 guy from a stag party touches a glass collecting/cleaning/bar staff member, the stag party could be kicked out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's a double standard alright. But thats life. It's not fair but men just have to deal with it. We benefit from other double standards to be fair. A man gets with loads of women and he's a player. A woman does it and she's a slut. Double standards. Nothing you can do about it.

Advertisement