Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Liveit wrote: »
    No, wait a minute.
    I meant college year instead of the whole year sorry Jay P.
    On the UCC accomidation website it says like 4k is the price, and landlords quote their price in weeks or months so I wanted to know how many weeks/months you would have to rent the house for to get a comparison. That was my reason for asking those question

I don't know the exact amount of weeks, but I know mine worked out at about €110 a week, not including the electricity and security deposits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

Vic mills is unreal. Really like all my housemates it's en-suite and the management do get stuff sorted quite quickly. Great experience there so far the only thing is when the floods happened we didn't have tv/broadband for a couple of weeks. They did provide broadband in the office but it wasn't always available. The security isn't too bad tbh, parties are fine most of the time and at the residents party you get three free drinks and free entry to havannas :)
    I would definitely recommend it wash and dry is (2 e, and 3 e) which is actually good I think. All houses have dishwashers which is quite handy so overall, happy enough so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

cazzzzz wrote: »
    Vic mills is unreal. Really like all my housemates it's en-suite and the management do get stuff sorted quite quickly. Great experience there so far the only thing is when the floods happened we didn't have tv/broadband for a couple of weeks. They did provide broadband in the office but it wasn't always available. The security isn't too bad tbh, parties are fine most of the time and at the residents party you get three free drinks and free entry to havannas :)
    I would definitely recommend it wash and dry is (2 e, and 3 e) which is actually good I think. All houses have dishwashers which is quite handy so overall, happy enough so far!

I have to agree 100%! Though I think I eneded up with 6 freebies at the last party some how, Noel was a bit tipsy! Last year was my first time living in the mills and with randomers for a few years (needed a break!) and it worked out brilliantly, all 6 of us were best friends (four of us living together again this year and the other two are upstairs) but with the mills you can have privacy in your room and no one bugs you. Unlike a house imo.

Though RAG week security was a pain, our party was shut down (which Noel knew about and didn't shut down after my roommate called him a wanker even!).

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Thinkin of Vic Mills myself. Any negatives with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Max001 wrote: »
    Thinkin of Vic Mills myself. Any negatives with it?

Noel.

• Advertisement

Once you don't piss off the manager Noel then I don't really think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

lol, thanks.

Do you ever see the wardens?
    Last question ;) is there a washing
    machine in each flat?

Max001 wrote: »
    lol, thanks.

Do you ever see the wardens?
    Last question ;) is there a washing
    machine in each flat?

Well currently I think its student wardens most of the time except tuesday and thursday nights (except RAG week of course). I often would just see the warden wander round outside every so often on tuesdays and thursday and really all he does is let people in that get locked out or deal with complaints (which is the only time he ever enters an apt).

Nope there is a laundry (on the ground floor near the car park entrance) that has say maybe 7ish of each washers and dryers. I know it's a pain not having one in each apt but it's not too bad. Tokens only cost €2 for dry and €3 for wash and can be gotten in the Centra next door anytime (handy when it's the weekend and the office is closed). In the two years I've used the laundry here, no one has ever touched any of my stuff and never heard of anyones elses either.

No worries, glad to help. Current residents can book until the 4th March so I'd check the website or give the office a buzz to see when they are taking bookings to new residents.

Edit: Thought of a negative, the internets not wireless! But theres a network were all residents can share stuff if they want, quite handy for tv shows, movies, music, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Hey!
    Im going into first year medicine (hopefully!!!:)) next year and I am debating between Vic Mills, The Student Village or Farrenlea Hall to choose for accomodation. My decision is mainly between Vic Mills and The Student Village though.
    Ouy of these too which would you recomend and how far away are they from the Health and Sciences Building?

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Hey!
    Im going into first year medicine (hopefully!!!:)) next year and I am debating between Vic Mills, The Student Village or Farrenlea Hall to choose for accomodation. My decision is mainly between Vic Mills and The Student Village though.
    Ouy of these too which would you recomend and how far away are they from the Health and Sciences Building?

I would not recommend farranlea to anyone. I lived there two years and management were hell and forget deposits.

Vic Mills is right beside the new western gate building which has a bridge over to brookefield so i'd say take you not much more than 5 mins to get over there from here. Village is like 5ish mins down the road from here then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rss

STAY AWAY FROM VIC STATION
    as was already stated at the start of this thread vic station is a sh**hole!!!
    The management are complete pri**s. they have started fining people 80e for having the pace "dirty, unhoovered, etc"
    they also fined 2 people 200e each for a house party and fined other people for this house party who had nothing to do with it. the kitchen/living area is not up to standard at all for what your paying for it
    The walls on the outside have started to turn green from the mould

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

I'm going into first year UCC engineering next year and thinking about Riverside or Monastery Hill, does anbody know anything about either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Whats the best alternative to vic mills, seeing as its now full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

uni halls, but thats full long ago. You'll just have to take what you can get at this stage tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm going into first year UCC engineering next year and thinking about Riverside or Monastery Hill, does anbody know anything about either?

Talk normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

I'm going into 2nd year next year and I was wondering if I went into an estate agent now, would they be able to show me some houses available for the next academic year or would I be better off to head in there around July instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Crosswalk wrote: »
    I'm going into 2nd year next year and I was wondering if I went into an estate agent now, would they be able to show me some houses available for the next academic year or would I be better off to head in there around July instead?

Some of them will and some will make you wait till the few days that the place will be empty between the college year tenants and the summer ones. But sure you might as well go and ask or give them a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd try daft.ie too man if you're lookin for decent house, there's some nice ones to be found. Just be careful with estate agents - you can get fcuked over by them if you're a student - myself and my mates found half of them wouldn't take us seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Theres no harm in adding yourself to the waiting list in either Vic Mills/Uni Hall, they both get a lot of cancellations every year and normally alot of the those on the waiting list end up getting in.

As regards finding an alternative to the above, a house is an obvious choice. There a many pros and cons to the Student Accomodation complexes, however, having lived in one for 3 years, I'm sick to the teeth of them! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

Is there any negatives to Farranlea Hall besides the ****ty couches?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 notnormal

Rozie wrote: »
    Does anyone know any good student accomodation that's much nearer town? All of them seem to be more towards Bishopstown/Sundays Well/Wilton. Maybe some student orientated apartments?

I need to find somewhere to move to on Co-op that's pretty much half way in between the bus station and UCC(15 mins each way, give or take?).

Castlewhite. Right beside UCC, a 15 minute walk to bus station, bus from right outside accom. to town

• Registered Users Posts: 49 notnormal

PodgeMac73 wrote: »
    Goin into first year now and staying in Castlewhite. Just one question...
    Does it deserve the name Castle****e?!

No. I'm living there now and I love it...even after I got kicked out for a month because of the flood... going back next year. Don't believe the "Castle****e" rubbish. Rooms are quite spacious (for student accom.), loads of storage, excellent internet (UCC network), big kitchen, tv has built-in dvd...only 4 channels, but you can't have everything in life. Sharing a bathroom with 4 people, not as bad as you would think, and there's a really good vibe if you get to know your neighbours...waterfights in February have occurred here...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 base individual

Just doing my application now.....does anybody know the difference between studio, standard and deluxe rooms? its not explained on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mountcarmel

Lived here for 3 years. In fairness the apartments are very spacious and the facilities are top notch.

Any of the rooms are the finest, i wouldnt be too worried whichever one you end up in as the study space is ridiculously large compared to other apartment blocks / houses.

Set backs: Car park floods and yer man that runs it is a bit of a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 base individual

Lived here for 3 years. In fairness the apartments are very spacious and the facilities are top notch.

Any of the rooms are the finest, i wouldnt be too worried whichever one you end up in as the study space is ridiculously large compared to other apartment blocks / houses.

Set backs: Car park floods and yer man that runs it is a bit of a pain in the hole.

Yeah its pretty cool as far as student accom goes....I know, they're all really nice, just wondering if anyone knows the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deucemc

Its a crap hole! Noel always in and out, doesnt know to knock, just invite himself in and sit down for a cup of tea, and gives out!

Place costs an absolute fortune, Internet is shocking did i hear something about the radiators not working during the summer??

In Fairness it was thrown up in no time when they built it, and id say its about fit to fall down shortly.

Dont mean to be such a negative larry, but i lived there for two years, and i got sick of it! Alot of people like living there, price is my biggest issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yeah its pretty cool as far as student accom goes....I know, they're all really nice, just wondering if anyone knows the difference?

Been living here the past few years - a deluxe room is extra - comes with a double bed and a tv in your room, while I'd love a double bed it's not worth the extra cost. Studio room - no idea tbh afaik it's either a normal room or deluxe so don't know whats going on there!

Noel can be a pain in the hole alright but I disagree with the post above me - the place isn't exactly falling down - I know they've been slow to fix things from time to time but if you've an issue with anything they'll sort it out eventually, Ger who works in the office is dead on and very approachable.

As for the heaters not being on during the summer - that's bóllix I'd say, was working perfectly in A block where I was staying not that I needed to use it much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Spent the last 3 academic years and 2 Summers there, great spot, yet pricey. Can agree with some of the posts above re: the complex manager.
    To answer the OP question:

Studio Apartments - No Balcony, small living area, normally house 2-4 people. Cheaper alternative, however, I wouldn't be keen on living in one of them. Rooms same size as others but living space can be quite cramped.

Deluxe Room - Single Bed, very large room, own couch & television, approx 1,000€ extra for the year.

Standard Apartments - House 3-7 people, living space varies depending on the number of occupants, all bedrooms have identical dimensions, with the exception of the few disabled bedrooms in the complex. All are en-suite, Internet and television connections in each with large study space.

As regards heating not working during the Summer, not true. Heaters in every room are electric heaters, just a case of flicking a switch and hey presto. As above poster has stated, place is generally very warm during the Summer anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 rachel_koeman

Does anyone who has stayed in farranlea hall know if a cable is needed to get broadband or is it provided or whats the story? Thanks:)

cable not provided.

Advertisement