Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Manky Foods Thread [Merged]

Options
  • 21-09-2002 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭

I used to hate the smell of kidneys - ala steak "n" kidney pie. I never understood why I disliked the smell but proceeded through life without kidneys (other than my own. [naturally])(ahem). But one strange day of hangover I tried steak "n" kidney pie and got over my dislike of smell of the stuff just like I once did with the taste of beer. So I ate said pie (nyom, pie) for some time.

Now... just a week ago I bought steak exclamation mark exclamation mark n kidney pie and realised just why I disliked the smell of kidney. I had an epiphany, a kidney epiphany, or as they say in the vegetarian world a "Kidniphany". I suddenly realised what that smell was when I was eating the pie. It smelled exactly like old pensioners that don't wash their clothes and go to the toilet without taking down their trousers, it smelled like festering urine. I realised in that kidniphany moment that kidneys clean the blood of toxins, kidneys... make pee, kidneys have pee inside them. That smell that I was smelling was... pee. I almost vomited (but I was hungry).

So I don't like kidneys now. ;)

What do you not like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

have to agree, kidney are awful and parsnips

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Cods roe.
    Parsnips.
    Turnips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Kidney & Mushrooms (rasher to flavour) in a red wine sauce with rice pwnz j00 :)

I love fish but I can't stand anchovies.

mmmm fried cods roe with parsley Nyommehnuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I'll try and eat anything
    but liver, not a chance...

lenny_liver.gif

< Da > Its only liver, it cant hurt you....
    < meh> Its stinks and has the texture of spam,
    I'd rather eat meet off the spine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Celery. The most repulsive taste, texture and smell in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Fish.
    Also, caulliflower, brussel sprouts, brocolli.
    BLEh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Steak and Guinness Pie. <yuk!>

I won't describe what it reminds me of .... <yuk!>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

once i was made to eat tripe, was too young to protest enough to get away with not even tasting it , it was vile vile vile vile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

probably salmon or trout like fish, its prob the smell that gets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Kolodny
    Celery. The most repulsive taste, texture and smell in the world.

Jeebus, myself too.

I can't even see it without my head going into those spinning-spasms one gets when youv'e had a bite juicy bite of something bitter/cellery-ish and can't get rid of the taste.
    Absolutely horrible
    Dunno how anyone could think that it's healthy.
    And as for those ads where yer want is munchin down a raw stick of it, or dipping it into something (Philadelphia I think) - How The Fúck?

I tasted dandelion as a young ald (curious etc.) and Cellery tastes the same.
    pure cellulose shíte.
    Tis not food at all.
    Aside from that I really really dislike crapy boiled spuds, or mashed potatoes that have chunks of bad spud in em (you know the bits - they're not rotten, look exactly like normal spud, but you can't mash em and the stick out like stones in sand in your mouth) - pure muck.

Can't drink/smell buckfast without wanting to throw up either.
    Result of a bad experience one night while bushing.
    two bottles of the nectar in a little under half an hour. Fécked them into the woods(we were in a clearing round a fire).
    Was pretty wasted, lost me glasses, nearly fell asleep in the fire, thied to blow into the fire á la bellows to keep myself warm, ended up stumbling home, puking every bit.
    Fell into bed, woke up with brown/black puke on my pillow, in my hair and on my French-English dictionary.
    Luverly stuff all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

eggs....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by mayhem#
    eggs....
    same here..
    I had to sit beside a guy who used to eat egg and onion sandwiches during class.
    The memory still makes me feel ill...

Even the smell of redbull makes me feel sick..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Brocolli

Baked Beans/Canned Spagetti

Cucumber

Bananas

All evil!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Pork Steak
    Stuffing
    Raw Onions
    Turnip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm not a big Celary fan either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i pretty much eat anything..
    liver and rhubarb i try to avoid as much as possible though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Thaed
    once i was made to eat tripe, was too young to protest enough to get away with not even tasting it , it was vile vile vile vile

Oh you heathen, tripe is delicious.
    Tripe and onions boiled in milk, yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Can't stand mushrooms. Urgh. I've never eaten kidney, and I don't plan to start any time soon. I haven't eaten liver since I was about 8, hated it. Also eggs. I'm not mad about most plants either (celery, brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

kidneys and mussels

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Samson

I think I'm going to be sick right now...

:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Samson

Oh you heathen, tripe is delicious.

Done right it can be quite nice..

The other other other other white meat :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

porriage
    liver
    prunes (me mother used to hide them under the custard thinking we wouldn't cop it!! ffs how dumb did she think we were?*)

*that was a rhetorical question and does not require an answer from you smart asses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Cheese is the food of Satan

and its on EVERYTHING!! You cant go anywhere without having to specify NO CHEESE!

I also hate Mayonaise, and if theres no cheese on something, theres bound to be mayo, sandwich buying is hell!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Hmmm.. let me see....

Spinach..
    Celery
    Parsnips
    Turnip

and thats about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I really really Hate Salantrow(dunno how to spell it), i came across it while iwas in the US. Thinki might have a different name here. its a green herb. I also don't like fish except a battered cod from the chipper) and then I don't like any cook veg(some exceptions) cuz its all squishy and manky!! hate it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

TACOS = bluuuuurrrggghhh

ever since eatin soggy cold tacos with pasta i cannot walk past them without having the urge to puke! and now as a resuly of that nachos are startin to make me feel weird....god no - why u mock me!!

and

peanut butter! (dont ever try chicken breasts smeared in peanut butter) *shiver*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

My mother used to make us eat offal: heart, liver, kidney, tongue, etc.

I hate all offal. Anything that is swimming in grease, it makes me want to heave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by sinus
    TACOS = bluuuuurrrggghhh

Yup I definetly hear u on that one. I really hate mexican food!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Hate brussel sprouts, the smell of them being cooked makes me feel ill and whenever they get near me I gag...

Celery is also disgustable but not on the same level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Tomatoes...................enough said.

Advertisement