Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cheese course thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I got some of the Brewer's Gold cheese - the taste is great, very similar to the stinky cheeses I would eat in Germany (Limburger, Romadur, Handkaes, those types), but unfortunately a lot more runny. The consistency is actually putting me off a little bit, I have to admit :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Wicklow blue and Wicklow Bawn are a great cheese

http://www.wicklowfarmhousecheeseltd.ie/products%20alt.htm

Available in a lot of SuperValus and places like Avoca etc.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I got some of the Brewer's Gold cheese - the taste is great, very similar to the stinky cheeses I would eat in Germany (Limburger, Romadur, Handkaes, those types), but unfortunately a lot more runny. The consistency is actually putting me off a little bit, I have to admit :(

Didn't find it overly runny but I could see it becoming that way after a few hours out on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

pwurple wrote: »
    Not a fan of things stuck in my cheese either... Just gimme the cheese!

On blue, cashel was the one i started with. Mild, creamy, irish.

Cracker. Thin thin thin bit of blue cheese, sliver of pear on it. (Blue is super-salty, i like it with a contrast). That'll get ya hooked!

Ever tried the French blue called Saint Agur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

aidan24326 wrote: »

Yup. A nice cheese.

It's not quite salty/sharp enough to be my all time favourite. Prefer the crozier blue these days when I go for a blue. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Didn't find it overly runny but I could see it becoming that way after a few hours out on the table

I might haver just bought a bad wedge so... it was runny to the point of escaping off the table, after I'd just taking it out of the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I might haver just bought a bad wedge so... it was runny to the point of escaping off the table, after I'd just taking it out of the fridge.

Depends a bit on the age - was it a pre-wrapped pack or a cut off a large cheese ? If it's a prewrap in the chiller cabinet- give it a gentle squeeze - sides and top - it should feel soft but not luquidy - !
    They usually hold fairly well - so I wouldn't worry about dates too much !

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Oh no, that wasn't supposed to be- bad wedge maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Yup. A nice cheese....
    I'd consider that to be understatement: St. Agur is glorious!

Wicklow blue and Wicklow Bawn are a great cheese....
    I had Wicklow Baun (unusual spelling they use) for the first time yesterday. I'd consider it good, but not remarkable. I see that they describe it as a brie; I wouldn't, mainly because the rind is quite different.

• Advertisement

I had Wicklow Baun (unusual spelling they use) for the first time yesterday. I'd consider it good, but not remarkable. I see that they describe it as a brie; I wouldn't, mainly because the rind is quite different.

i like the creaminess of it

i like the creaminess of it
    I'll go along with that. I think the piece I had was a couple of days short of its best.

I'll go along with that. I think the piece I had was a couple of days short of its best.

I bought one once that I had to dump- i reckon it was a supermarket storage issue though but you'll know quick enough when it's off. The Wicklow Blue is a great blue cheese too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Markcheese wrote: »
    Carrigbyrne cheese in Wexford do a Vacherin style cheese- it's called Humming Bark - wrapped in spruce bark and it's definitely forgotten the words - Stinky but wow ,( especially baked )

Had some of this at an event last night. Would definitely echo the 'wow'. Going to track one down and bake it for dinner on Friday!

I bought one once that I had to dump- i reckon it was a supermarket storage issue though but you'll know quick enough when it's off....
    That touches on a general problem with cheese in Ireland, and one that impacts particularly on soft cheeses: they are often sold under-ripe, a bit firmer and less flavoursome than when they are fully ripe. And there is no point in buying it like that and hoping it will ripen at home, because cheese does not ripen properly once cut; instead, it can become quite yucky. I suspect that is what happened your piece.

I'm glad that Irish people have become more adventurous with cheese in recent years. That has led to the range on offer in supermarkets and other general suppliers increasing greatly, and staff becoming more knowledgeable. But if the volume sales are not there, it can be difficult for the retailer to ensure that every portion is sold in its best condition. So I am particularly cautious in buying relatively little-known cheeses from a general retailer (although a gentle squeeze and a sniff can tell a great deal).

Don't get me started on serving cheese straight from the fridge!

Guys, brie.... Was tucking into some fantastic brie with a friend, when she went all goggle-eyed because I was eating the White rind. She peeled her brie.

Tell me I've not been doing it wrong all along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Guys, brie.... Was tucking into some fantastic brie with a friend, when she went all goggle-eyed because I was eating the White rind. She peeled her brie.

Tell me I've not been doing it wrong all along?
    Here in the land of cheese, everyone eats the rind of Brie!

Here in the land of cheese, everyone eats the rind of Brie!

Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

So, we're total cheese addicts in my family. I realised this when I was about 16 and the waiter in Eddie Rockets arrived back from taking my order with a plate of blue, cheddar and swiss cheese "To keep you going" til my food - nachos with extra cheese, a cheeseburger and cheese fries - arrived.

Had a look in the fridge there and the cheese shelf currently consists of: gorgonzola, parmesan, feta, gruyere, two types of cheddar and two types of emmenthal.

My mind genuinely boggles when people say they don't like cheese. Like, I can totally understand people not liking blue, or goats, or whatever. But a *blanket* ban? No cheese toasties ever??? I couldn't live in such a world.

Anyway, I thought it might be an interesting thread to have, particularly amongst foodies. Any specific loves/loathes? I find I've gone right off goats cheese the last few years, not sure what that's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I've never tasted cheese I don't like. Although I was given a huge plate of manchego when in Spain and the sheer volume I put away made me sick. I haven't touched it since.

But all the cheese I've tasted is good, depending on how you eat it.

My fridge regulars would be a cheddar, fresh mozerella, feta and a hard cheese or a blue cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I love cheddar, mozzarella, smoked cheeses, feta etc but I've never tried a soft cheese!

Any suggestions on ones to start off with for a newbie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I feckin love Blue Cheese and Stout.

One of my local off licences is also a cheesemongers.

A couple of bottles of a nice deep, roasty stout like O'Hara's Leann Follain or a Breakfast Stout like Founders and a hefty chunk of Stilton or Cashel Blue and my Saturday evening would be sorted (MOTD on the telly).

The creamy+salty in the cheese complements the dry sweetness of the stout perfectly.

Sunday night then would be another chunk of blue (there'd be none of the Saturday night chunk left) and diced apples and halved grapes.

I'm not a huge fan of cottage cheese and the likes, and I do find Feta a bit dry too.

A strong, sharp cheddar though, is a thing of beauty.

I've just realised there's halloumi in there too.
    I love cheddar, mozzarella, smoked cheeses, feta etc but I've never tried a soft cheese!

Any suggestions on ones to start off with for a newbie?

You could start with a semi-soft like Port Salut or St. Paulin. Both gorgeous, creamy, very mild cheeses.

For a fully soft, I'd start with brie. It's milder than camembert. The most important thing with any cheese, though, is to take it out of the fridge at least 20 minutes before you plan to eat it. A chilled brie will taste of nothing at all.

I stayed with an ex's cousin in France years ago and they didn't keep their cheese in the fridge at all, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I once got a brilliant Christmas present of a cheese hamper, it was amazing! I can't hack blue cheese though. Got a wedge of Cashel Blue in it, tried it loads of ways and found it so overpowering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged.

Threads merged.
    God! I hate blended cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

pampootie wrote: »
    I once got a brilliant Christmas present of a cheese hamper, it was amazing! I can't hack blue cheese though. Got a wedge of Cashel Blue in it, tried it loads of ways and found it so overpowering.

I used to hate it too, until my brother (the pickiest of all eaters!!) brought some home saying it was his favourite. I couldn't let him beat me so I figured out the way I like it. Which is with pear or a sweet marmalade, maybe even a sweet onion chutney. I prefer it melted as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Kovu wrote: »
    I used to hate it too, until my brother (the pickiest of all eaters!!) brought some home saying it was his favourite. I couldn't let him beat me so I figured out the way I like it. Which is with pear or a sweet marmalade, maybe even a sweet onion chutney. I prefer it melted as well.

This is how I like it too. On an oatcake biscuit with honey, jam or caramelised onion and a sprinkle of walnut or hazelnut.

Blue cheese butter.

Mix about 1 part blue cheese to 2 parts butter. It's fcuking unreal on steak sandwiches but I'm so addicted I make blue-cheese garlic bread all the time.

Take your crusty bread of choice, toast it lightly, rub a cut-in-half garlic clove over it, then smear with blue cheese butter and stick back under the grill at full whack for a few minutes. Absolute heaven.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Take your crusty bread of choice, toast it lightly, rub a cut-in-half garlic clove over it, then smear with blue cheese butter and stick back under the grill at full whack for a few minutes. Absolute heaven.

Oh crikey, I'm drooling.

Never thought I was a fan of feta, but recently had a chilli & feta quesadilla (chopped chilli with crumbled feta), and it was bloody gorgeous.

Advertisement