Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi brands v names brands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I think you will find that Aldi and Lidl are so large that they get their suppliers to do all the packaging. Most food companies provide supermarkets with the supermarket own brand these days. The market has changed were consumers have moved from top brand loyalty to supermarket own brand. It makes sense for supermarkets to give you a good quality product in their own brand so you will become loyal to them. Some products are different recipes but some of the basic essentials are just a change over of packaging on the production lines.

Yes you are right, sorry I didnt clarify that very well i see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Has anyone noticed we are all singing the praises of Tesco and Lidl and Aldi I don't see any praise for Super Valu!! and rightly so im a single person and unemployed I drive to Tesco 10 miles away every ten days or so and can get all my shopping for about 40 a week trying to do the same in my own local Super Value would cost me about 20 more!! I never seem to get a bargain in Super Valu

Yes i only buy in supervalue when they have offers on.... I try buy only offers. Seen as tesco has more variety its easier to do a budget shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I agree on that lidl pasta (tomato based) sauces are pretty yeuk. However they do great indian sauces etc

The Indian sauces in Lidl are excellent, I find them far better than all branded ones! They have a lovely texture and flavour. (The ingredients list on them is encouraging too...nothing artificial!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

Had 2 of Aldi's fillet steaks for €9 yesterday, you wont get not even in Marks and Spencer.

their more expensive steaks are from the same production line as Superquinn. Mind you my local butcher is about the same price and his meat is top notch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Staple stuff like rice and pasta is grand. Stuff that requires a bit of processing can be pretty terrible though.

One thing I do always wonder is why they bother with their own brand spirits - a lot of them sell for the same price as the real thing. The cheap beer is grand, but the whiskey etc is very nearly the same price as an equivalent bottle of Jamesons.

I don't know if that's the case unless you saw Jameson on sale somewhere? There are a number of different spirit brands in aldi though which are different prices, so you can't always compare like with like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'll tell you one thing, ALDI sell some of the best steaks I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I'd do most of my weekly shop in Aldi, and go to tesco/Dunnes for the stuff i can't buy there. I'd buy meat mostly from my local butcher, but i find Aldi's free range chicken is god value for money, easily get two big dinners for two people out of it and use the carcass for making stock/soup after. Love their indian sauces, especially the Bilash brand with the spices in the cap-very handy on days when i'm feling lazy and don't want to put much effort into a nice dinner :p OH loves the beer shandy, how could you beat €2.50 for a crate of shandy, i know theres not a hell of a lot of alcohol content in them but they are lovely! My favourite is the pizza, forget the brand but its the square one, throw a few slices of mozzarella on top and a good splash of chilli sauce and it doesn't last long in my house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Has anyone noticed we are all singing the praises of Tesco and Lidl and Aldi I don't see any praise for Super Valu!! and rightly so im a single person and unemployed I drive to Tesco 10 miles away every ten days or so and can get all my shopping for about 40 a week trying to do the same in my own local Super Value would cost me about 20 more!! I never seem to get a bargain in Super Valu
    Was in spain recently (himself is a trucker) so I went into a Cash and Carry there and got a case YES A CASE of Smirnoff Vodka at 9 euro a litre, it is 30 and more here for the same litre. and to add insult to injury Baileys was 6 a bottle!! and don't even start me on the wine. we are being ripped off so much.

Congrats! Was it speed dating or something? In the space of 5 mins between your two posts you went from single to having a bf!:D

Sorry mod for off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭papermaker

I find the Lidl Indian sauces are fine and the tomato juice (I've tried them all) is the best...it's all a matter of personal taste, isn't it though ?
    Their chicken products...branded as Ballymanor, are from Moypark, in the north, same as supplied to Tesco and Dunnes etc(look for the code on the pack ..9502 for fresh, 9515 for breaded

tphase wrote: »
    their more expensive steaks are from the same production line as Superquinn. Mind you my local butcher is about the same price and his meat is top notch

AIBP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

yep, larry's best

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i bought milk in aldi the other day and didnt think it was nice at all... infact my family refused to drink it it was that horrible!

we buy lots of cheeses and ham in aldi but i found that the bacon had a huge water content and also the fruit and veg are not a good quality imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

ene wrote: »
    i bought milk in aldi the other day and didnt think it was nice at all... infact my family refused to drink it it was that horrible!

That's one thing I wouldn't buy in Aldi/Lidl - well two things, butter too. I prefer Kerrygold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I find Super Valu's meat offers every week are excellent - there is always something marked down. They also have good veg offers on too. While I no longer do weekly shop there - I watch out for whats advertised there in the papers. Case of having to these days !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

There are some Aldi products which I prefer to brand name equivalents.

Chicken nuggets
    Ketchup
    Beef Gravy
    Stone Baked Pizza

Also, those burgers that come in a little black two pack are absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Was in spain recently (himself is a trucker) so I went into a Cash and Carry there and got a case YES A CASE of Smirnoff Vodka at 9 euro a litre, it is 30 and more here for the same litre. and to add insult to injury Baileys was 6 a bottle!! and don't even start me on the wine. we are being ripped off so much.

You still got ripped off, you can buy 700ml vodka in Spain for around €3.80, though it's not Smirnoff. And congrats on the boyfriend:P

I quite like Aldi/Lidl. Tesco is alright, especially for the harder to find things. Dunnes is alright too, but could do with expanding their own brand more. I don't go near SuperValu/Centra etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 marywary

Lidls loo rolls are great value, 9 rolls for about €3.45, usually shop there first, local fish van in market square next, local butchers & anything else needed in tesco.
    Have also shopped online with tesco because find that i only buy what i need, shopping bill is always less than if i go to store even though there is a delivery charge. Friend of mine recommended online shopping with tesco & says she has cut her shopping bill by 40% this way because she only buys what she needs & doesn't pick up any extra's.

olaola wrote: »
    That's one thing I wouldn't buy in Aldi/Lidl - well two things, butter too. I prefer Kerrygold.

Lidl has Kerrygold butter and they always sell champion butter from Monaghan Coop in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Really like alot of tesco own brand products their as nice if not nicer than big name brands. Especially their smoking rashers are lovely. Their Tuna is also just as nice as John West, its all about personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

baldbear wrote: »
    Aldi do class fillet steaks!!!

+1 here there are class all right

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

fabsoul wrote: »
    +1 here there are class all right

Just had the fillet ones last night, you wouldn't get better in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

also had the aldi fillet steaks last night, with mushrooms and onions ! i fried them. really good. cut through them easily. will def buy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LupinFace

Aldi sells this amazing six minute pasta, specifically the Broccoli and cheese variety :P It's God sent, seriously.
    It's so hard to find down here though. It sells out like a sonuvabitch :'<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

aldi baked beans beat batchelors on the taste test here. not sure on the price but i think 39 c a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Lyon's teabags are flavourless muck compared to the ones they sell in Lidl, McInlay's i think they call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I had a short subscription to Which magazine, and Aldi's liquid laundry detergent came out on top - plus it's far cheaper than its rival (about a third in fact).

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

I always do my weekly shop in Lidl. The only thing I don't like there is the readymade tomato sauces and the firelighters. Not too big a deal as I make my own sauces mostly and I can pick up superquinn own brand when I pick up my papers.
    Since I started doing this I've cut my food bill in half. I find no difference in the milk at all, all comes from the same cows! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LIDL are starting fresh bread - at least in their Fonthill shop - don't know if others are doing the same. Lovely pumpkin bread among others. Nyom nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

I'm a Lyons tea man myself. I must try these McGrats tea-bags. Heard good things about them.

Tea comes in 4 qualities;

1 Whole leaf
    2 Broken leaf
    3 Fannings
    4 Dust

Paper tea bags (such as Lyons and McGraths) consist of bleached white paper, held together with glues, and both contain "dust" ( ie the cheapest of the cheap) tea.

Perhaps the flavour of the glue, as it melts in your boiling water, tastes better in the Mcgraths version rather than the Lyons version. Who know, it certainly isn't the tea itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

So what you're saying is there's no difference between Lyons, McGraths, Barry's etc?

Advertisement