Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No longer attracted to my girlfriend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Someone saw interstellar.

I did. I also have had a keen interest in cosmology and physics from a very young age.

But yeah, it was the mediocre film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Sugar Thief

Saipanne wrote: »
    I did. I also have had a keen interest in cosmology and physics from a very young age.

But yeah, it was the mediocre film.

Hopefully the jokee does too.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm just considering the idea of a woman posting on After Hours "Leave him and find someone with a nice torso instead of a beer-gut" - there'd be hell to pay.
    Not from me anyway. I'd support her all the way if those were her feelings on the matter. If a previously fit guy started to blob out on the sofa chugging chinner dinners and ales of an evening a year into the relationship and if he had a pattern of this in relationships, damn straight I would.
    There was far less food though, and far more physical exertion required.
    There was far less food in the 1970's? Or 1980's? Dunno about that. More physical exertion? Stronger ground there, particularly among young kids, but adults? There were far fewer gyms, joggers and general keep fitists too.

On the food front it would be my humble/weird angle on it that it wasn't the quantity but the types of food people were eating. More homecooked "meat and two veg" going on. Chippers and the like were an odd treat, rather than a staple and things like pasta and Chinese food and the like was rare to encounter.
    People still got depressed however.
    Oh certainly V but it would be my strong belief they did so at lower levels than today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

From what I read he does love her, the problem is he doesn't fancy her. Should he stay with someone he doesn't fancy, that would suck the life out of anyone.

For me the two go hand in hand. If he doesn't fancy her, he doesn't really love her and would be better off ending it and letting them both have a chance of happiness with someone who truly loves them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

For me the two go hand in hand. If he doesn't fancy her, he doesn't really love her and would be better off ending it and letting them both have a chance of happiness with someone who truly loves them.

Love and sexual attraction are not the same thing. You can have one without the other.

They certainly don't go hand in hand for me, I can love women without fancying them and vice versa.

Love and sexual attraction are not the same thing. You can have one without the other.

I disagree. If you have one without the other, you are not in a loving, lasting, fulfilling relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not from me anyway. I'd support her all the way if those were her feelings on the matter. If a previously fit guy started to blob out on the sofa chugging chinner dinners and ales of an evening a year into the relationship and if he had a pattern of this in relationships, damn straight I would.
    What I mean is the language though - I just don't understand why some people feel the necessity to be so derogatory when they can make the point minus it.
    There was far less food in the 1970's? Or 1980's? Dunno about that.
    True. I was thinking in terms of further back than that. Although the portion sizes that are the norm now would have been massive even as recently as the early 90s.

I'd be of the belief that depression levels were no different back in the day - it wasn't recognised though so people had to stew in their misery or self medicate with alcohol (my grandfather)/get prescribed sleeping pills/valium (my father) or were sent to the mental hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I disagree. If you have one without the other, you are not in a loving, lasting, fulfilling relationship.

By that definition most men are doomed to not remain in a loving, lasting, fulfilling relationship.
    http://www.bustle.com/articles/40157-okcupid-says-men-are-most-attracted-to-20-year-olds-and-heres-why-it-totally-doesnt-matter

Studies show that as women age, so does the age of men they find most attractive.

Those same studies show that as men age, there preference does not. As a group, regardless of how old the men are, they find women around 20 years of age to be the most attractive.

I'd post the chart directly, but I dunno how.
    http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/92/6739b310-1ffd-0132-08bb-0eae5eefacd9.jpg?w=790&h=550&fit=max&q=70

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Dean0088 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Why does every issue need to be approached with the most tender, cotten-padded kid gloves available?

Again, I'd understand if this was a teenager or someone who the OP knew was going through something. As her OH it'd be pretty obvious if she was going through depression.

However, the most common scenario for weight gain over a year or so is someone getting lazy. We don't need a post-match analysis to discover it either. If the OP is coming in the door every evening to find herself plonked on the couch with a pizza and a tub of Caramel Choo Choo then the reasons are plain as day.

It might not be obvious at all.

Maybe she is lazy. But if someone is doing loads of comfort eating, that's certainly worth exploring to find out why, at the very least.

But, as someone here already said, you appear to have made your mind up. With scant info and not knowing the woman at all, you appear to know exactly what is going on in her life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

And hopefully who's a nice person too. You seem preoccupied with appearance to the point of not even thinking about personality. Now before you misinterpret me, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to fancy your partner or to find excess weight unattractive (I don't need a guy to be ripped to oblivion to fancy him but I wouldn't be physically attracted to an obese guy either) - but in addition to them having an attractive personality.

Naturally - but in order for me to actually fancy someone (and sustain a relationship) I need the full package. I'll put this bluntly and it may come off as harsh - but the dating game often is:

I've been attracted to the personalities of a few women who I wrote off because of their looks - not features, heights, or trivial things like that - it's always been because of weight. I'm no Greek God myself - have been single two years and wouldn't be out of place in the "Fed up being single" thread.

However I honestly find excess weight not just off-putting but physically disgusting. I've liked girls with lovely faces, nice smiles and great eyes. But when they smiled or laughed their sagging neck/chin (in their early 20s!) camouflaged by an inch of foundation was an instant "Nope" for me. It varies from person to person, obviously. Some people carry it better than others - and some look better with a rounder face etc... This would all be within a variance of 14-20% body fat on a female though.

I probably have high standards which is (in part anyways) why I'm still looking. But I'll be fooked if I'm going to roll over in bed one day only to realize I'm married to "the chubby girl" who actually transformed into Jabba.

What most people would call "a little bit chubby" to be kind, I'd call obese because that's what it is. "Chubby" and "fat" in the 70's were entirely different things than today. In order to be thought of as fat my most people you need to be getting stuck in doorways it seems. Few obese people even realise they're obese due to snowflake treatment by media, womens' magazines of the obesity epidemic. It's only when people become morbidly obese that friends and family often step in which is often too late; the damage has been done to their bodies, health, self-esteem and dating life.
    I'm just considering the idea of a woman posting on After Hours "Leave him and find someone with a nice torso instead of a beer-gut" - there'd be hell to pay. But AH has no derogatory comments towards women, only "man-bashing" - and women are harder on each other than men ever could be. :pac:

You're right. And I suspect it's because generally forums and internet sites tend to be heavily populated by males. The most vocal of whom on such issues are likely to be those threatened by a woman fancying an attractive man. That should tell you a lot about the caliber of man posting such comments. Save for Nazi moderating there's not much that can be done about it. [/QUOTE]
    There was far less food though, and far more physical exertion required. People still got depressed however.

I'd have to agree with Wibbs on this, although it can be unfair to compare generations to one another particularly in the 20th and 21st as technological and societal advances happened so quickly each one was vastly different. Kids these days...eh?! :pac:

In reality I think there's less and less of an excuse to be fat today, although there's more of a means. Someone om even a low salary (or even welfare) can eat out of MacDonalds numerous times a week, order takeout and cook unhealthy frozen foods like pizzas for their whole life and never even dice up a single carrot or peel a potato.

However, we also have a limitless supply of cooking tutorials, videos and recipes for free online. Fresh fruit and veg sections that are overflowing in supermarkets (and they're dirt cheap), ingredients from all over the world that even in the 90s were unheard of and free personal training apps, guides etc...

I got a FitBit a few weeks ago. Cost me around €80 - it tracks sleeps, steps, calories burned and factors in a base metabolic rate for my gender, height and weight. I can log food in an app on my phone. Takes me five minutes each day like brushing my teeth or checking email. Just a little chore to keep myself healthy. Great things.

Creating a 500 calorie deficit each day is the easiest thing in the world for someone to do and will see the average person shed a pound a week. 1000 if you really want results fast. An obese person will shed even more really quickly. The bollocksology of "lose it quick and you'll gain it all back" only applied to the yoyo dieters who create a 1,000 deficit for a few weeks, and then go back to the KitKats and Coca Cola lunches. Thermodynamics overrides any little myths about weight-loss.

Within 6 months a 200lbs woman could be looking and feeling much better by making simple little changes. I've no sympathy for those who don't except for the tiny percentage (1%) who actually have diagnosed medical issues, most of which are manageable anyways.

I'd be of the belief that depression levels were no different back in the day - it wasn't recognised though so people had to stew in their misery or self medicate with alcohol (my grandfather)/get prescribed sleeping pills/valium (my father) or were sent to the mental hospital.

+1000

Would just like to add though that exercise is recommended by doctors for depression before any pills (save for the most serious of deep depressions). Jogging a few times a week can really pick up your mood and get you thinking proactively about how to get out of the depression.

It does annoy me when people use depression as an excuse when in reality they're just feeling a little blue due to not trying in life and feeling the consequences of same.

I would agree. I would also ask questions like why didn't it happen to nearly the same degree a couple of generations ago and certainly far less in the young? Today we have more knowledge, more supports in place, yet certain cultures, those with the most knowledge and the most support are piling on the pounds.

Take a 1950s population, transplant them to now in the hyper-palatable food environment and more sedentary lifestyles of today and you'd see weight piling on at the same rates, I'd guess.

It would completely disingenuous to discount these factors when comparing obesity levels of the 1950s and today.

Oh certainly V but it would be my strong belief they did so at lower levels than today.

Based on what? It was not really talked about. People were packed away when they suffered with their "nerves".

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    But, as someone here already said, you appear to have made your mind up. With scant info and not knowing the woman at all, you appear to know exactly what is going on in her life.

^^ Pretty typical treatment of fat people. They're all victims or something. If I was fat I'd prefer to be treated as an adult - not some overgrown toddler who needs special treatment on the off-chance that I'm depressed.

If his girlfriend is depressed then it's a separate issue and the weightloss can come later. If he has no indication that she's depressed why would he assume so? I know loads of happy fat people that have been that way for years. I don't just assume they're depressed and treat them sensitively. 33% of the Irish population are fat ffs.

We're talking about people getting fat when they're in secure relationships and I'd wager that it happens in the vast majority of marriages and a good chunk of long term relationships. People get complacent and forget that the "open market" could be a break-up away. Which is an interesting dynamic because two people who grow fat TOGETHER might end up locking themselves in a mediocre relationship due to a tacit acceptance that they'd never stand a chance in the dating game. So, a healthy, fit relationship is a sign of a strong one because the two halves could more easily attract an alternative but chose not to. Obviously this is just a theory of mine.

It's actually commented upon when a couple over forty are active via hill walking or jogging or whatever. This should be the norm, not the exception.

Would just like to add though that exercise is recommended by doctors for depression before any pills (save for the most serious of deep depressions).

This isn't true. As someone with a lot of experience in this area, doctors do recommend exercise to aid depression, but they have never advised trying it over talk therapy and/or medication. I've seen various doctors over the years about depression and this is true of them all. They say exercise may help but they most certainly don't hold it up as the best way to cure depression.

• Advertisement

Take a 1950s population, transplant them to now in the hyper-palatable food environment and more sedentary lifestyles of today and you'd see weight piling on at the same rates, I'd guess.

It would completely disingenuous to discount these factors when comparing obesity levels of the 1950s and today.

It's no excuse.

People had **** teeth back in 1950 too but look as us all today with our pearly whites. The same improvement should have happened to diet - it's all down to personal responsibility and there's an abundance of free help and cheap healthy food available.

I've lost a good bit of weight since meeting my boyfriend (I'm still fat though). Maybe I should gain it back just in case he doesn't find me attractive anymore. Hello, Christmas dinner :D

It does annoy me when people use depression as an excuse when in reality they're just feeling a little blue due to not trying in life and feeling the consequences of same.

It annoys you? Oh noes!

Once again, how do you know someone is making an excuse? How could you possibly know that?

This isn't true. As someone with a lot of experience in this area, doctors do recommend exercise to aid depression, but they have never advised trying it over talk therapy and/or medication. I've seen various doctors over the years about depression and this is true of them all. They say exercise may help but they most certainly don't hold it up as the best way to cure depression.

I should have phrased it differently. I'm not saying they write you a 5k jog, twice weekly perscription :p

But exercise releases endorphin and your body is something only you can control. I've read a lot of stories on fitness forums about exercise being the key to someone turning their lives around. It also beats lying in bed all day which can be the hardest thing to overcome for some people with depression.

But treating every fat person as though they're depressed is just going to keep fat people fat.

I should have phrased it differently. I'm not saying they write you a 5k jog, twice weekly perscription :p

But exercise releases endorphin and your body is something only you can control. I've read a lot of stories on fitness forums about exercise being the key to someone turning their lives around. It also beats lying in bed all day which can be the hardest thing to overcome for some people with depression.

But treating every fat person as though they're depressed is just going to keep fat people fat.

If you understood depression, you'd understand how bloody difficult it is to force yourself out of bed, let alone go for a jog.

• Advertisement

It's no excuse.

People had **** teeth back in 1950 too but look as us all today with our pearly whites. The same improvement should have happened to diet - it's all down to personal responsibility and there's an abundance of free help and cheap healthy food available.

Well, how's that working out? The population is getting fatter. The personal responsibility thing appears not to be working. Meanwhile, the problem worsens.

People who complain about rising levels of obesity often seem to be the same people who have no interest in tackling the issue and dissecting it to figure out how to change things. They just continue bleating about personal responsibility, all the while being glad to have something to feel superior about, because it a visual weakness that it's easy to pass judgment on. All the while shutting down any analysis on the environmental, cultural and physiological reasons for a ever more rotund population.

If you understood depression, you'd understand how bloody difficult it is to force yourself out of bed, let alone go for a jog.

I had mentioned that in my post, but exercise recommended to break that cycle.
    Well, how's that working out? The population is getting fatter. The personal responsibility thing appears not to be working. Meanwhile, the problem worsens.

People who complain about rising levels of obesity often seem to be the same people who have no interest in tackling the issue and dissecting it to figure out how to change things. They just continue bleating about personal responsibility, all the while being glad to have something to feel superior about, because it a visual weakness that it's easy to pass judgment on. All the while shutting down any analysis on the environmental, cultural and physiological reasons for a ever more rotund population.

The reason why the "personal responsibility" thing isn't working is due to the complete absence of it in many people as noted in your passing of the book to "environmental, cultural and physiological reasons", not to the actual failing of personal responsibility as a means of living your life.

I don't feel 'superior' to obese people as you put it. It's not like I'm some Olympic athlete.

I had mentioned that in my post, but exercise recommended to break that cycle.

The reason why the "personal responsibility" thing isn't working is due to the complete absence of it in many people as noted in your passing of the book to "environmental, cultural and physiological reasons", not to the actual failing of personal responsibility as a means of living your life.

I don't feel 'superior' to obese people as you put it. It's not like I'm some Olympic athlete.

Exercise is recommended to break the cycle, yeah.

But again - getting out of bed in the first place is the difficult part when you're depressed. You seem to fail to recognise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

To be honest I think we lost the OP on page one. The only post he thanked was one which pandered to his own needs and he clearly is putting himself before her health and wellbeing. If ya listening, dump her. Could be the best 12 stone she ever lost.

Exercise is recommended to break the cycle, yeah.

But again - getting out of bed in the first place is the difficult part when you're depressed. You seem to fail to recognise that.

Christ on a bike - I said it in my initial post!

It's not like once you become depressed you're bed ridden for life and nothing can help you. With support and help people can get past the deep dark phases and exercise is universally recommended to keep you from slipping back and to boost your mood. Keeping someone on meds forever isn't an option and meds are to be cautiously prescribed in the first place.

Anyways, depression is a minority cause and is being used as a shield in this thread. It's by no means the root cause of obesity in Ireland, or even a major one. Beer, pizza and TV is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I had mentioned that in my post, but exercise recommended to break that cycle/QUOTE]

exercise can be extremely difficult for people with depression, they often need someone or something help them get to that point in the first place.

in some cases, like my own, exercise can bring on a depressive episode. I have supports in place, when I exercise or it'll just make everything much worse

don't be one of those people who say "get out/exercise more" to someone who suffers with depression. it shows a severe lack of understanding/support

No one made any point about the definition of a loving, lasting relationship. The point being made is that you can love someone without fancying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Christ on a bike - I said it in my initial post!

It's not like once you become depressed you're bed ridden for life and nothing can help you. With support and help people can get past the deep dark phases and exercise is universally recommended to keep you from slipping back and to boost your mood. Keeping someone on meds forever isn't an option and meds are to be cautiously prescribed in the first place.

Anyways, depression is a minority cause and is being used as a shield in this thread. It's by no means the root cause of obesity in Ireland, or even a major one. Beer, pizza and TV is.

keeping people on meds for life IS actually an option. many chronic suffers would need it to stay healthy. depression is physical, and some people need meds for life, like any other illness.
    I'm not.saying exercise doesn't help, but don't spout it off as a cure all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

This thread is going round in circles. Look OP you have three options:

1. Accept her the way she is now.

2. Dump her without telling her why.

3. Bite the bullet and say "Look, I love you but I don't fancy you any more because of the weight gain. Please lose weight. If you have a problem that's causing the weight gain then let's work on it together."

No matter how long this thread drags on for, you're going to have to do one of the above eventually. You might as well get it over and done with.

But again, it's not happening. So what to do? Keep repeating it? Not looking at any other factors? OK, let's do that so. Let's ignore human biology (the preference for hyper-palatable foods, a once useful evolutionary quirk that we still retain though we no longer need it, and one that is exploited by a knowing food industry), environment and the fact that in every single population where junk food becomes more available, obesity rises. Let just ignore all that, it's not relevant at all, right? Let's solely focus on personal responsibility. After all, we've seen such great results thus far, why fix it if it's not broken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

This thread is going round in circles. Look OP you have three options:

1. Accept her the way she is now.

2. Dump her without telling her why.

3. Bite the bullet and say "Look, I love you but I don't fancy you any more because of the weight gain. Please lose weight. If you have a problem that's causing the weight gain then let's work on it together."

No matter how long this thread drags on for, you're going to have to do one of the above eventually. You might as well get it over and done with.

Start a poll!

But again, it's not happening. So what to do? Keep repeating it? Not looking at any other factors? OK, let's do that so. Let's ignore human biology (the preference for hyper-palatable foods, a once useful evolutionary quirk that we still retain though we no longer need it, and one that is exploited by a knowing food industry), environment and the fact that in every single population where junk food becomes more available, obesity rises. Let just ignore all that, it's not relevant at all, right? Let's solely focus on personal responsibility. After all, we've seen such great results thus far, why fix it if it's not broken.

Personal responsibility, and creating culture of it, is the only way to fix this. Taxing sugar or any other government solution won't work. All the education ever needed is available and then some online. We have fresh food and lean meats in abundance. Stick to 2 or 3 aisles in the supermarket instead of shopping likes it's one big trip to a candy store.

This issue is a huge one for society but the solution rests with each individual. I honestly don't care if we get to 66% obesity like the US (well, other than the increased taxes it'll require). It's no skin of my nose and fat people can continue fooling themselves all the like. But if someone asks me directly what I think of their excuse I'll tell them in a nice but blunt way.

From my experience (yes it's anecdotal, but I don't live in a bubble), the first thing to follow fatness are the excuses and there are many. I know several people who blame genes, old injuries preventing exercise, too much work, good food is too dear etc... etc... Maybe the dozens of fat people I know and knew through family, friend, work and otherwise are all some statistical anomaly but that's my experience of the majority. I also know 60 year old men who'd put the average 20 year old to shame when it comes to cycling or jogging.

Look at the USA - something like 80% of teenagers graduating high school are not eligible for military service. I'm not saying I agree with military or wars or anything like that - but as a benchmark for health and fitness that's beyond laughable - it's damn scary. But again, it comes down to personal responsibility.

As I've said in numerous posts, I don't apply that to depression or medical reasons. I leave that up to trained professionals. But they're an extreme minority and as sensitive as a subject as they can be, using them as a shield is just creating yet another excuse for the majority who actually don't suffer from them.

But anyways, the thread was what the OP should do about his girlfriend who's gaining weight. In my opinion he's best to approach the subject head on. If she needs a doctor for physical or mental reasons then she should 100% see one no question - but I'd put money on it being the most likely cause - she's gotten lazy as times ticked on. And if she doesn't change course he should leave her to he Ben & Jerry's and make for the hills.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Based on what? It was not really talked about. People were packed away when they suffered with their "nerves".

Depression as a disease of modernity: explanations for increasing prevalence Depression and other mental illnesses are rising. Again in the face of more options and backup than ever before.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

But if someone asks me directly what I think of their excuse I'll tell them in a nice but blunt way.

How do you envisage that ever coming up in conversation? :pac:

"Hi Dean, evaluate the reason I'm about to give you for my being overweight."

Interesting use of words though - "what I think of their excuse". Sounds like you do a LOT of pre-judging of overweight people. And think about it quite a lot. Which is a bit odd.

Depression as a disease of modernity: explanations for increasing prevalence Depression and other mental illnesses are rising. Again in the face of more options and backup than ever before.

I'd still question how much of this is down to under-reporting due to stigma and lack of understanding of mental illness in previous generations.

Even the abstract there casts doubt a few sentences in.

How do you envisage that ever coming up in conversation? :pac:

"Hi Dean, evaluate the reason I'm about to give you for my being overweight."

Interesting use of words though - "what I think of their excuse". Sounds like you do a LOT of pre-judging of overweight people. And think about it quite a lot. Which is a bit odd.

You're being ridiculous now.

People talk about their health. And fat people, particularly after a failed New Years resolution attempt often spout excuses. I've been asked for advice before and many a time I've told people that they should stop drinking for six months, stop drinking coke on their lunch etc...

There's no point telling them to "maybe cut down" or walk the dog when they're 70 lbs more than they should be. Like I said I don't insult people. Nor do I silently judge fat people day in, day out, with the sole exception of an entire six hour flight if a particularly large one is spilling into my seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

In the interest of entertainment I believe you should take this post to the ladies lounge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

You're being ridiculous now.

People talk about their health. And fat people, particularly after a failed New Years resolution attempt often spout excuses. I've been asked for advice before and many a time I've told people that they should stop drinking for six months, stop drinking coke on their lunch etc...

There's no point telling them to "maybe cut down" or walk the dog when they're 70 lbs more than they should be. Like I said I don't insult people. Nor do I silently judge fat people day in, day out, with the sole exception of an entire six hour flight if a particularly large one is spilling into my seat.

The EU has now legislated that being obese is a disability. You can claim benefits if you're too fat to work, and if you get too fat to do your job they can't fire you! Anyway I haven't read the whole thread, how fat is the OP's girlfriend? Is she just a bit unattractively porky or is she getting so obese that the OP will soon have to become her carer and give her bed baths?

Nor do I silently judge fat people day in, day out, with the sole exception of an entire six hour flight if a particularly large one is spilling into my seat.

Large "one"? You mean large person, right?

I rrrreeeeaally doubt you don't judge people on their weight. When you're getting down to the nitty gritty of giving actual figures for the percentage body fat range that makes an attractive woman (amongst other very precise yardsticks), it's quite hard to believe that you don't.
    This would all be within a variance of 14-20% body fat on a female though.

• Advertisement

The EU has now legislated that being obese is a disability. You can claim benefits if you're too fat to work, and if you get too fat to do your job they can't fire you! Anyway I haven't read the whole thread, how fat is the OP's girlfriend? Is she just a bit unattractively porky or is she getting so obese that the OP will soon have to become her carer and give her bed baths?

The powers that be can legislate for whatever they want. I imagine to actually acquire a certification of disability via obesity you'd need to eat your way into such a state for years upon years on end. For a 6 foot male you'd likely need to top 400 lbs for a doctor to certify you as disabled via obesity. You're more likely to become disabled along the way with back trouble or multiple heart attacks.

The episode of the Simpsons where Homer ate his way onto a work from home scheme was a joke 15 years ago. Now it's reality. If that's someone's goal in life then, well, power to them.

My sympathies only extend to those truly disabled by spine damage, car accidents or nerve diseases etc.... If someone donuts their way to disability then a disability cheque is a small compensation for the crap, unfulfilled life they'll lead. At least those in wheelchairs or other mobility aids have a chance of competing in sports or remaining active to some extent, depending on their exact scenario.

The OP mentioned that attraction is the main issue. So I don't think his girlfriend is at "rag on a stick" proportions just yet.

Large "one"? You mean large person, right?

I rrrreeeeaally doubt you don't judge people on their weight. When you're getting down to the nitty gritty of giving actual figures for the percentage body fat range that makes an attractive woman (amongst other very precise yardsticks), it's quite hard to believe that you don't.

No... I meant an 18 point buck. :rolleyes:

I said I don't judge people on their weight day in, day out. Obviously if I see a person over 350 lbs, somehow still mobile, it's a sight to behold and it's hard not to look. It's like a car crash and a show of human endurance all in one; they've destroyed their bodies but on the flip side have to deadlift 350lbs every time they want to stand up.

The only times I remember actually casting proper judgement is when I've seen fat parents with little fat kids. I feel so bad for the kids because they're too young to know better and aren't being cared for properly. But obviously I don't say anything.

Only one one occasion have I actually legitimately wanted to fly off the handle with rage. Was in the Trafford center in Manchester during the summer in the food court. Some idiot who I assume was the father was feeding a baby (definitely under two - not great with kids ages but it was in a buggy and was tiny) a happy meal burger and a fizzy drink. The entire family were like a solar system of mini-planets orbiting two larger ones. They're all doomed.

Also, bodyfat is the easiest and fairest way to judge obesity on an individual level. Weight and BMI are fine for mass population measurements or to track progress, but for visual factors, two women with 10% bodyfat will look reasonable the same. As opposed to weight which doesn't factor in height, muscle, bone structure etc..

No... I meant an 18 point buck. :rolleyes:

It was your own demeaning wording so you might want to retract the ol' rolly eyes there.

It was your own demeaning wording so you might want to retract the ol' rolly eyes there.

Someone's super sensitive.

Of all the offensive words used for a fat person in this thread you zero in on the fact that I called them a "one".

Someone's super sensitive.

Of all the offensive words used for a fat person in this thread you zero in on the fact that I called them a "one".

Aye.

Anyway, best of luck in your search for a girlfriend who meets your standards. Let's hope when you find someone who reaches them all that you also measure up to all of hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

Only buy food shopping for yourself. Spent her half on hookers. You get your hole and she gets slim. Win Win.

• Advertisement

Aye.

Anyway, best of luck in your search for a girlfriend who meets your standards. Let's hope when you find someone who reaches them all that you also measure up to all of hers.

That's how it should be, two people in a relationship should be attracted to each other.

That's how it should be, two people in a relationship should be attracted to each other.

Preferably not due to gravitational pull. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm reminded of this 100% true story involving one of my best childhood friends. His first year of uni he meets a girl. She's a friend of a friend. She's kinda chubby. He was just some nerdy guy. Neither one of them thinks much of one another.

They meet again, six years later. Still both friends of the same friend. In those six years, he had finished school and started a very successful career in banking. She'd lost a lot of weight. He noticed her. She noticed him too, in fact she was very impressed with his brand new BMW. He ended up giving her a ride home at the end of the night.

They're married now, and my friend jokes about it...but it is the reality of the world we live in. She didn't pay attention to him, some socially awkward nerd....and he didn't pay attention to her as a chubby girl. But him as a successful business man....she found that attractive. And her, in shape....he found that attractive. And once they were both attracted, they got to know each other.

I have no doubt in my mind, that if he decided to quit his job and watch tele all day, she'd leave him. And I have no doubt that if she gained a lot of weight and made no effort to change it, he'd leave her. And they're both perfectly happy with it.

Well, there's only a handful of people in this thread saying otherwise!

UCDVet wrote: »

I have no doubt in my mind, that if he decided to quit his job and watch tele all day, she'd leave him. And I have no doubt that if she gained a lot of weight and made no effort to change it, he'd leave her. And they're both perfectly happy with it.

Do you reckon that if she gained a few stone, and he quit his job to become a couch potato, that they'd stay together because their chances are reduced on the open market?

• Advertisement
Advertisement