Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Korea Wins!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Netflix might end up buying the rights, would be a win win for both parties.
    and then they hack netflix

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm still not convinced that this isn't all just a marketing ploy.

And I'm not convinced that North Korea are responsible for the Sony hack either. Seems a lot more like an inside job.

This sums up my suspicions about the whole thing nicely.

They're not going to release it to cinemas, but from what I hear will release it for download and on DVD.
    This whole episode about the hacks and the embarassing emails has made sure that this film is the most talked about film this year, when from the previews I would have filed it under "Another Team America one, probably not all that funny anyway".

If I was cynically inclined, I would propose that the whole North Korea hack was actually done by Sony themselves, as a publicity stunt for the film.
    If so, it's sheere brilliance and certainly has worked. Kudos to whoever thought that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

Now they can make a film about a movie that nobody could see because of ......... terrorism. Queue many shots of the American Flag and Freedom Fries. 'Merica *uck yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

If they were clever & wanted to strike back, they'd cut their losses & release it as a free download. Would be viewed by far more people then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

Well I mean an inside job would be equally malicious.

The amount of data that was compromised is huge. It would have taken weeks or months to do it remotely and the chances of it going undetected would very very low.

Firstly that's not true. Computers are fast. Text data is small.

Secondly clearly embarrassing stuff was released.

Thirdly what kind of publicity stunt would endup in promoting a movie which then isn't released?

Theres paranoia and theres paranoia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sony will now not release its new film 'The interview' about assassination of Jim Jong Un.

Sony fears more hacking and a backlash.

Pity looked like a good film!

The documentary version will be much better & more satisfying.

Shenshen wrote: »
    This sums up my suspicions about the whole thing nicely.

They're not going to release it to cinemas, but from what I hear will release it for download and on DVD.
    This whole episode about the hacks and the embarassing emails has made sure that this film is the most talked about film this year, when from the previews I would have filed it under "Another Team America one, probably not all that funny anyway".

If I was cynically inclined, I would propose that the whole North Korea hack was actually done by Sony themselves, as a publicity stunt for the film.
    If so, it's sheere brilliance and certainly has worked. Kudos to whoever thought that one up.

Ack don't be utterly stupid. Marketing departments around the world are not going to start releasing private embarrassing emails of their executives and everybody's SSNs for publicity to sell a product which isn't then going to sell in its major market.

Why do people think North korea wouldn't do this?

Ack don't be utterly stupid. Marketing departments around the world are not going to start releasing private embarrassing emails of their executives and everybody's SSNs for publicity to sell a product which isn't then going to sell in its major market.

Why do people think North korea wouldn't do this?

Because it's way too subtle for North Korea.

North Korea doesn't try and embarass people it doesn't like, it would try and destroy them. Releasing a few emails about untalented actors doesn't even get close.

I'm not saying they didn't do it, nor that I'm convinced it was Sony's marketing department, but I would have doubts either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

myshirt wrote: »
    Did it?

A film about murdering a serving leader of a country with c.25million people.

I might agree with you if the serving leader in question wasn't a mass murdering sociopath. Your comment is a bit like complaining loudly that Mighty Mouse would regularly beat up Hitler in american cartoons during the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Netflix might end up buying the rights, would be a win win for both parties.

I can only imagine the trouble that would cause for them.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Because it's way too subtle for North Korea.

North Korea doesn't try and embarass people it doesn't like, it would try and destroy them. Releasing a few emails about untalented actors doesn't even get close.

I'm not saying they didn't do it, nor that I'm convinced it was Sony's marketing department, but I would have doubts either way.

North Korea is not "subtle".

Releasing internal documents is illegal and a firable offence. Releasing SSN numbers is also a huge issue. No marketing dept is going to suggest that internal emails be released, many critical of talent, along with scripts and personal information of executives and others to promote a movie. That's quite frankly crazy talk.

A dictatorship getting involved in cyberwar is not fantastical.

Did it?

Would you have had the same objections to "The Great Dictator", then?

North Korea is not "subtle".

Releasing internal documents is illegal and a firable offence. Releasing SSN numbers is also a huge issue. No marketing dept is going to suggest that internal emails be released, many critical of talent, along with scripts and personal information of executives and others to promote a movie. That's quite frankly crazy talk.

A dictatorship getting involved in cyberwar is not fantastical.

That's what I mean, it's too suble a move. Nevermind the illegality, when's the last time North Korea cared about that? But they could have done far more and serious damage, and didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cloud493 wrote: »
    What? I'm gutted now, it looked pretty good :(

thought it looked crap, a blessing in disguise maybe

thank you north korea

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sony should do what U2 did with their new album, and forcibly put it on every device going!
    Now theres a way to rile everyone up and get free publicity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm amazed (maybe not) that Sony hadn't tightened up their server security.
    If get hacked once is bad but to be hacked again is irresponsible. The hustlers deserves to go down the pan for that. At the very least their cyber security chiefs head should roll. (there is no inferrance to Muslim extremists in this post :))

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The reason it was pulled had nothing to do with the hacks .the film was pulled because there were threats of unleashing attacks worse than 9\11 on cinema chains whom showed it, they even went as far to threatening residents who lived near cinemas to move away for there own good,

Odd part America is now beem threatened with state sponsored terrorism that wont sit well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

There a leaked clip I saw last night, the film looks amazing.
    Kim Jong Un is flying away in a helicopter. In super slow motion a tank shell hits the tank, explodes and you slowly see kim's clothes start to burn as his face skin wobbles in the blast wave before fire envelopes his face and what can only be brain matter flies out of frame. All this is set to a rather pleasant acoustic version of Katy Perry's Firework.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Gatling wrote: »
    The reason it was pulled had nothing to do with the hacks .the film was pulled because there were threats of unleashing attacks worse than 9\11 on cinema chains whom showed it, they even went as far to threatening residents who lived near cinemas to move away for there own good,

Odd part America is now beem threatened with state sponsored terrorism that wont sit well

But are those threats realistic? Do the NKs really have the capability to carry out terrorist acts abroad? Maybe in Asia, but in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Imagine if there was no real movie, that they just filmed a trailer & that this is part of a mocumentary movie they're making about the events...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Custardpi wrote: »
    But are those threats realistic? Do the NKs really have the capability to carry out terrorist acts abroad? Maybe in Asia, but in the US?

I personally wouldn't rule it out been possible but if even one act of terrorism was carried out in the name of NK id expect a massive retaliation from the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

fryup wrote: »
    thought it looked crap, a blessing in disguise maybe

thank you north korea

And what was the name of terrorist organisation that were going to force you to watch the film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

After Sony canceled the release of the North Korea assassination comedy The Interview, a Texas theater said it would swap the film with Paramount's 2004 film Team America: World Police for one free screening.

"We're just trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation," James Wallace, creative manager and programmer at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema's Dallas/Fort Worth location, tells The Hollywood Reporter.

American flags and other patriotic items will be given out by theater employees, Wallace says.

The plot of Team America, co-written by South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, revolves around Kim Jong Il, the father of current North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. The posters promoting the R-rated movie in 2004 included the tagline, "Putting the 'F' Back in Freedom."

Well its pretty funny if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Sony should do what U2 did with their new album, and forcibly put it on every device going!
    Now theres a way to rile everyone up and get free publicity!

I think it would be the perfect opportunity for a big company like Sony to allow people buy the movie online and watch it.

I know I definitely would if they released a 1080p version.

I think it could make them a serious amount of money if they do and could open the eyes of a few archaic executives who still think piracy hurts sales (proven that it doesn't given the leak of Fury/Annie while they are still in cinemas).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fair play to the Koreans, they gave the Yanks a good kick square in the nether regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I heard they've already executed Dapper laughs after he made the squinty eyes gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

mad muffin wrote: »
    That's it. Christmas is cancelled!:mad:

Don't worry, we've still got Jingle All the Way 2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Did it?

Calling him a leader is a bit much. Hes a dictator who rules with fear

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

banning any movie that stars Seth Rogen can't be all that bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Gatling wrote: »

Pfft, North Korea is going to target every Cinema in Europe, America and Asia?

The movie will be released, sony have (probably) spent a lot of money making it.

Advertisement