Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metro 2033 -eurogamer review

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

humanji wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Red Faction Guerrilla come with this game? I bought it in Gamestop today and the disk was in it. Just wondering if that's normal or a cock up.

It's normal. They've been giving away free copies with it.

I actually got the game on saturday through metaboli for 29 sterling. They just sent me a key to register on steam.

I really need a new graphics card. It plays ok but there are notable slowdowns in parts. No idea what to get. I had been planning for a a gtx 285 or 295 but they are too bloody expensive still. I'm hoping for a price drop in them when the fermi cards come out next week but I won't be counting on it seeing Nvidia's track record with pricing. Might be time to take a look at ATI for the first time in nearly 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've been playing for the last few hours and it's really good. A bit too "oh look, here's an ammo dump. I wonder what could be about to happen...?" but maybe I'm just a jaded gamer. I have everything maxed and it looks fantastic at the moment.I'm running an ATI GFX card, so I don't know if certain things are turned off because I'm not running an Nvidia card. But it still looks amazing. The lighting is really scaring the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Any replay value do you reckon?

There are 2 different endings. And for my own immersion, on my first play i palyed with russian voice overs and english subtitles, now im doing playthrough 2, and playing in english. Thats about it! But its a fantastic game, and at the very least well worth a weeks rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

There are 2 different endings. And for my own immersion, on my first paly i palyed with russian voice overs and english subtitles, now im doing palythrough 2, and palying in english. Thats about it! But its a fantastic game, and at the very least well worth a weeks rental.

I'm a PC gamer, so no renting for me. But thanks for the feedback :) I'm thinking I'll wait til it drops in price a little (and maybe til I have upgraded!).

I'm a PC gamer, so no renting for me. But thanks for the feedback :) I'm thinking I'll wait til it drops in price a little (and maybe til I have upgraded!).

If you fancy a great, atmospheric fps and you dont mind it being linear then metro is a fantastic choice. On my 2nd play im coming across loads of stuff i missed first time too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I picked it up on the XBOX as part of a trade in deal in GAME but I also downloaded it for the PC. Installed it on the PC and played the first level on both...I'm off again to trade back in the XBOX version and pick up the PC one :)
    There's simply no comparrison between the two games. The sound for one thing is terrible on the XBOX and i've a decent speaker setup. NPC's drown out the main characters Dialogue all the time and this is a game that really requires a good sound setup.
    Also as expected graphics on the PC are far superior along with Mouce control.
    The question I asked myself after was why on earth would I buy a single player game on the XBOX and not the PC. tut tut Silly Muppetkiller :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Can anybody tell me how to use the arrows or paper planes or whatever they are, i have about 8 of them , don’t know how to use them.

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I picked it up on Friday and so far loving it, granted i'm not very far into it. it's like playing a book almost. Very linear but sure what choice do they have-it's set in a metro tunnel.
    Gonna look into buying the book

Decided to hold off playing it until I got a new graphics card. Finally ordered an ATI HD5850 yesterday. Hopefully it will be an improvement over my current 8800GT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Decided to hold off playing it until I got a new graphics card. Finally ordered an ATI HD5850 yesterday. Hopefully it will be an improvement over my current 8800GT.

Take it from someone whos done the exact same upgrade, it will make a huge difference. Im running that card on an i7 with 6gb of ram and its chewed through everything ive thrown at it. This game seems to be an animal for specs from what ive read though. It might not be the most efficiently coded game when it comes to memory usage. Ill let the price drop alittle and Ill probably get when I finish Mass Effect 2.

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    Take it from someone whos done the exact same upgrade, it will make a huge difference. Im running that card on an i7 with 6gb of ram and its chewed through everything ive thrown at it. This game seems to be an animal for specs from what ive read though. It might not be the most efficiently coded game when it comes to memory usage. Ill let the price drop alittle and Ill probably get when I finish Mass Effect 2.

I'm going to see if I can keep the 8800 in as a dedicated physx card. I know Nvidia are turning off physx if they detect and ati card in the system but I found an unofficial patch to work around it:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1456964

I played through the first chapter with the 8800 and the frame rate wasn't the best. I'll have to upgrade my cpu this year as well. It's only a phenom 9600.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm going to see if I can keep the 8800 in as a dedicated physx card.

I recently bought myself a GTX 275. Was running 9800 GT (effectively an 8800 GT) in SLI (i.e. two of them). I'm now running the GTX 275 with the 9800 GT for the PhysX/CUDA stuff. Pretty damn happy with the results. Game looks damn good. What a performance boost I got from the upgrade too. Wasn't running at a resolution high enough to REALLY take advantage of the SLI'd 9800GT (1440x900). I'd recommend doing the same if you are looking for a not-too-expensive-upgrade that will last you a good year/year and a half/two years (obvioulsy depends on your overall setup too). Haven't looked back since I did it myself. And the game looks damn tasty on my machine right now.

I got my 5850 today. Installing it was a little more hassle than I thought. It seems my motherboard (m2n-sli deluxe) doesn't agree with the 5850 100%.
    When I boot, the card's fan speeds up then slows back down then repeats this 8 more times before it starts to run properly. None of the other components on the board will start until it has completed this cycle meaning the machine now takes ages to boot.
    Seems it's an issue with the nvidia chipset on the board. When the machine boots it seems ok.

I started up Metro 2033 and loaded up the "chase" level for a few minutes. Looks much better but I'll have to spend some time checking for stability issues with the card now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I got my 5850 today. Installing it was a little more hassle than I thought. It seems my motherboard (m2n-sli deluxe) doesn't agree with the 5850 100%.
    When I boot, the card's fan speeds up then slows back down then repeats this 8 more times before it starts to run properly. None of the other components on the board will start until it has completed this cycle meaning the machine now takes ages to boot.
    Seems it's an issue with the nvidia chipset on the board. When the machine boots it seems ok.

I started up Metro 2033 and loaded up the "chase" level for a few minutes. Looks much better but I'll have to spend some time checking for stability issues with the card now :mad:

Windows 7? Trouble is, Windows 7 shows You the desktop then loads the graphics driver to trick You into thinking its booting quicker

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Windows 7? Trouble is, Windows 7 shows You the desktop then loads the graphics driver to trick You into thinking its booting quicker

Nah. It's not os related it's a problem with the bios. It starts the second I turn the power on before it even gets to pos bios. I saw posts on the asus forums about the same issue.
    The first thing you would think it was is an insufficient psu. That's what I thought at first but I have an 850w unit so it should be ok.

You got the latest bios?

Nah. It's not os related it's a problem with the bios. It starts the second I turn the power on before it even gets to pos bios. I saw posts on the asus forums about the same issue.
    The first thing you would think it was is an insufficient psu. That's what I thought at first but I have an 850w unit so it should be ok.

Weird, I had something similar happen when I upgraded. Im running Win 7 64bit with an Asus P6T delux v2 mobo. Most gpus ive had did the, fan whirring up to full speed for 10 seconds when you press the power button, thing but this was different. I actually got to the windows login screen then the cards fan would hit 100% for maybe 30 long seconds before functioning normally again. But its stopped of its own accord. The fan only goes above idle now when I start a game. :confused:

You got the latest bios?

Will have to check when I get home. The last time I checked I had the latest and there hadn't been an update in a while. Can't find anything on the Asus site about bios updates so I'll have to run the update tool on the machine.

Just cleared it there, I'm a little dissapointed at the finale, was really enjoying it.
    Was at least expecting a final Boss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Just finished it there, the ending was crap, i sort of liked the game.

finished the game with 230 points , probably the lowest amount of achievements I have a got from a single player campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

*Bump*

Just finished it there.

I was a little disappointed with the ending. After all the times during the game when
    you got sucked into a dream sequence, I was expecting more of an explanation on the Dark Ones. I went looking online and most of peoples' information seemed to be derived from the books, which didn't help much when you've only played the game.
    Also, it was only when I went looking that I saw that
    there were two endings. I had no idea that there was a 'moral decision' theme running throughout the game. When I discovered what those choices were, I could only remember two of them, and they didn't particularly seem worthy of affecting the outcome of humanity. Moreover, I'm not entirely sure which ending was 'good' - I watched the alternate ending on YouTube but there seems to be debate on which was good or bad.

Aside from that ambiguity (and the insanely annoying level
    in D6 when you're fighting those exploding globe things, nearly melting my pc
    ) I really enjoyed the game.

I loved the atmosphere, you could cut the tension with a knife. Some tremendous set pieces
    (some great ones in the library mission)
    and bloody hell, the sound effects were fantastic. I also thought the survival horror aspect was great, with some really nice touches (having to look at your mission journal in-game, having to protect your face from mutants so they don't crack your gas mask, and the general claustrophobia).

Reservations: I thought the story could have been explained a little better. For example,
    delivering Hunter's message after travelling halfway across Moscow felt anti-climatic, because I had no idea what that message was. Also, as I said above, I felt that the Dark Ones needed more of an explanation.
    The only other reservation I had was that the game felt somewhat formulaic at times (you're in a group, you investigate something on your own, a door locks or a wall crumbles and you're on your own until you can find a way back to them).

Overall though, a highly compelling, highly atmospheric, and thoroughly enjoyable game. It's a bit on the short side, but I did enjoy the difficulty level; I played it on normal and found it suitably challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Yeah that was horrible. After numerous deaths I managed to fluke those two parts.
    Sons of the apocalypse
    indeed.
    It's a bit on the short side, but I did enjoy the difficulty level; I played it on normal and found it suitably challenging.
    Normal was fairly challenging.
    I was hoping for more ghost scenes and interactions, maybe even having to say prayers or something to get past them like that other guy had to.
    I wondered would I see the entire metro map while playing rather than a linear direction. Side missions would have been nice.

*Bump*

Just finished it there.

I was a little disappointed with the ending. After all the times during the game when
    you got sucked into a dream sequence, I was expecting more of an explanation on the Dark Ones. I went looking online and most of peoples' information seemed to be derived from the books, which didn't help much when you've only played the game.
    Also, it was only when I went looking that I saw that
    there were two endings. I had no idea that there was a 'moral decision' theme running throughout the game. When I discovered what those choices were, I could only remember two of them, and they didn't particularly seem worthy of affecting the outcome of humanity. Moreover, I'm not entirely sure which ending was 'good' - I watched the alternate ending on YouTube but there seems to be debate on which was good or bad.

I loved the atmosphere, you could cut the tension with a knife. Some tremendous set pieces
    (some great ones in the library mission)
    and bloody hell, the sound effects were fantastic. I also thought the survival horror aspect was great, with some really nice touches (having to look at your mission journal in-game, having to protect your face from mutants so they don't crack your gas mask, and the general claustrophobia).

Reservations: I thought the story could have been explained a little better. For example,
    delivering Hunter's message after travelling halfway across Moscow felt anti-climatic, because I had no idea what that message was. Also, as I said above, I felt that the Dark Ones needed more of an explanation.
    The only other reservation I had was that the game felt somewhat formulaic at times (you're in a group, you investigate something on your own, a door locks or a wall crumbles and you're on your own until you can find a way back to them).

Overall though, a highly compelling, highly atmospheric, and thoroughly enjoyable game. It's a bit on the short side, but I did enjoy the difficulty level; I played it on normal and found it suitably challenging.

Hunters message is explained to you in the cut scene at the start of the game!! He tasks you with warning polis that the threat of the dark ones is a threat to the entire metro system and needs to be stopped at all costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Just bumping this to say that its going cheap on Steam this weekend. €17 seems like a bit of a steal for this, hasn't got the most amazing of reviews but certainly seems to be worth a look.

Yeah, its fairly cheap now whatever way you get it. I offered a dude on ebay 11 sterling for a brand new pc version and he accepted. It included Ref Faction Guerilla too, so 2 games, less than a year old, for less than 15 quid. Nice.

Im about 3 levels into Metro now. Really enjoying it. Im finding it quite challenging, even on normal. Theres no free lunchs here like you'd get in western developed games. Ive replayed a certain level where you get ambushed by mutants around 15 times now. Its pretty ridiculous as not only are your weapons crap, you run out of ammo easily and even when you do manage to kill the seemingly endless onslaught of enemies, you get a cracked gas mask for your troubles and end up choking to death! :D

The secret to it seems to be a slower pace and possibly picking off mutants with a rifle (which i need to buy)

Im running it on DX11 at 1920*1200 on high. Very high introduces some noticeable lag in certain areas but high is nice and fluid. The game looks amazing, a real showcase for my 5850. The first game Ive had thats really tested it.

http://gamersyndrome.com/2010/xbox-360/metro-2033-dlc-coming-next-week/
    The Ranger Pack DLC is set to hit Steam and Xbox Live Marketplace August 3, if your on Steam, lucky you, because you’ll be getting this DLC for free as a simple update. If you’re on XBL, you’ll have to pay a mere $3 (240 ms).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They stated 8GB ram as recomended requirements, the process is using at most 130MB of my ram :confused: It does run evenly on all 4 cores of my quad though and doesn't just thrash one core like most games, really needs a quad from what I've read
    seems strange that it only eats up that much memory? Are you sure the memory isnt hiding somewhere? checking the pagefile use?

You've got me curious to see if it will adopt well on a hexacore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it's a fiver on Amazon, worth it? One of the reviews mentioned not getting a steam activation code with it? anyone else encounter this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it's a fiver on Amazon, worth it? One of the reviews mentioned not getting a steam activation code with it? anyone else encounter this?

Easily worth a fiver but it's usually €2.50 during Steam sales and THQ were recently giving away copies for free on Facebook.

Don't know about the Steam code thing, but most of the games on Amazon are Steam activated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It states:
    Additional Information
    Steam client required for installation.

So you'll get a steam code, some people probably expect this to be e-mailed to them.

You'll need to hover over the "your account" button to the left of the basket and select "Games & Software Library" from the drop down menu that displays. Under each game is a "Show code" button, click on that, page will refresh with the steam code to copy/paste.

Advertisement