Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metro 2033 -eurogamer review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Was in Game today. Looks like they'll be charging 39.99.
    Play.com and amazon want about 25 Sterling.
    For 4 pounds more you can get it from metaboli as a download. That's about 33 euro for a download copy. Still cheaper than Game and you'll have it tonight .

Edit : Oh sorry meant to say that's the pc version. Add 10 quid for the 360 version to each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

€39.99 for the PC version in Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Is it just me or is the sound in this game fairly bugged? Ill only hear a NPC talking when im looking a certain way otherwise its just muffled noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Stev_o wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the sound in this game fairly bugged? Ill only hear a NPC talking when im looking a certain way otherwise its just muffled noise.

Haven't played it yet but that seems the same as half life 2. I found if you turned away from an NPC while it was talking the sound of the voice dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Stev_o wrote: »
    Haven't played it yet but that seems the same as half life 2. I found if you turned away from an NPC while it was talking the sound of the voice dropped.

Sounds like its trying to output to surround sound speakers that aren't there, check your speaker settings in windows?

I had no trouble with the voices in this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it similar to stalker in that you can roam freely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is it similar to stalker in that you can roam freely?

No free roam, its very linear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's better off for the linearity, the sense of claustrophobia underground is great, and even on the surface you're stuck in a gas mask and you just know it's far too dangerous to go wandering off.

Visually very nice, running quite smoothly on high at 1024x768 for me on a rather modest Lidl PC from 2 years ago. The other characters are a bit wooden though, voice acting isn't so great. One thing that bugs me is how enemies don't spasm or sceam all that much when they die, so it's easy to think they're still alive and pump another couple of rounds into the bodies, which is not a good idea when ammo is so scarce that the game uses it as currency.

But it's immersive and creepy and hostile, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Well worth the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Sarky wrote: »
    ...One thing that bugs me is how enemies don't spasm or sceam all that much when they die, so it's easy to think they're still alive and pump another couple of rounds into the bodies, which is not a good idea when ammo is so scarce that the game uses it as currency.

But it's immersive and creepy and hostile, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Well worth the purchase.

On the surface if you shoot a guys gas mask off they can gurgle and gasp for air as they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Another review here:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03/metro-2033-review-inching-towards-sunlight.ars

When will eastern european developers get off the "dystopian nuclear winter" theme and move onto the "happy sunshine bunny go-kart racing" theme is what I want to know.

• Advertisement

A few things for pc users from what I've read;

FOV for 16:9 is 58 and 16:10 is 53 (I still prefer 60).
    Ati users can still use advanced PhysX, it'll be done on multiple cores on the cpu in this game. You can enable it in game options.
    Also You can enable Global illumination (light bouncing off of objects and affecting the shadows of other objects in the scene) in the config (username)/appdata/local/4agames/metro, change "r_gi 0" to "r_gi 1"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

BopNiblets wrote: »
    When will eastern european developers get off the "dystopian nuclear winter" theme and move onto the "happy sunshine bunny go-kart racing" theme is what I want to know.

The day that happens is the day I stop buying their games. What's coming out of Russia pisses all over the charred corpses of the western competition right now.

+1
    Other than Arma II, this is the only game to put my pc under some real pressure for 2 years, since Crysis. Nice to see a developer push things for a change instead of opting for the easy console market option. Games are usually ported the other way, from console to pc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

let me run on it quite well on HIGH 1920x1080 normally these games dont scale well from recomended settings to uhh mine.

Tbh im not seeing its lovelyness seems like a nice looking shooter (only played a few minutes earlier to see if i could run the game). its not stand out stunning like Arma 2 i have yet to say wow.

Will crank it up the highest possible settings later and work backwards from there but maybe its just me but its okish looking. there wa s ****load of settings below that i left as is game said i could run it on HIGH and it did with around 40fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    A few things for pc users from what I've read;

FOV for 16:9 is 58 and 16:10 is 53 (I still prefer 60).
    Ati users can still use advanced PhysX, it'll be done on multiple cores on the cpu in this game. You can enable it in game options....

Cheers for the tips mate. I've been using 60 for 16:10,seems to suit best.

heres a vid showcasing the advanced PhysX
    http://www.gamephys.com/2010/03/19/gpu-physx-in-metro-2033-comparison-video/

The game lied to me , it set itself to very high and ran well in the tutorial as soon i got to the 1st fight my pc melted.

Dropped to high settings and its running very well. Finding this game to be brilliant for the atmosphere it creates than the actual graphics. Near shat myself on the way to riga :eek:

Its not glitch free, but its an amazingly good attempt by a new developer. Most of these lower budget russian devs release games that can be terribly buggy on release but always get patched to a playable state before long. Can't say the same for most western devs, all marketing hype with no game and little support. This is very playable, looks great and is great fun, as good as HL2 IMO.

Its based on an actual book
    which you see in front of You while hiding in the rail cart
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_2033_%28book%29

I read the book, its a bit meh tbh not my cup of tea.

Check the "other forum" if you havent read it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The game lied to me , it set itself to very high and ran well in the tutorial as soon i got to the 1st fight my pc melted.

Dropped to high settings and its running very well. Finding this game to be brilliant for the atmosphere it creates than the actual graphics. Near shat myself on the way to riga :eek:

What spec is your machine?

What spec is your machine?

4870 E6850 16gb ram.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    4870 E6850 16gb ram.

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Eh?

Didn't you know? Each gigabyte of ram in your system equates to an extra inch on your epeen.

16 incher... Nice!:cool:

Eh?

woops 6gb :o

your fault tbh wanted to do that ram disk when i only had 4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

graphics are stunning .

playing to on the xbox , loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

This has been fantastic from start to finish (im at the very end now, havent finished it fully yet tho). Aside from 2 annoying sections (exploding ball things, crane operating bit) its been utterly fantastic. The atmosphere is incredible, i love the echo of peoples voices in the tunnels. The ghosts and anomaly levels deserve credit for being possibly the most atmospheric levels in an FPS since hl2

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hmmm, might have to pick this up. Haven't played a good, atmospheric FPS since the Half-Life games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

How long does it take to complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

How long does it take to complete?

id say 8 - 10 hours, depending on how you play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

id say 8 - 10 hours, depending on how you play

Any replay value do you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Can anyone tell me if Red Faction Guerrilla come with this game? I bought it in Gamestop today and the disk was in it. Just wondering if that's normal or a cock up.

Advertisement