Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metro 2033 -eurogamer review

Options
  • 15-03-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Is anyone picking this up on Friday?

I can’t wait it looks great.

I think they have failed big time to promote this game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like the look of it, but I think it'll be a rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Looks like the STALKER guys went and tried their hand at Half Life. Results should be very interesting indeed, I'll be getting this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Will probably wait for a few more reviews to filter through, but first impressions seem to be decent enough.

One thing I'm worried about is the "recommended specs" I've seen floating about online - not sure my pc will play it without turning a load of stuff off :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The game does look might impressive. the recommended spes that you've seen online are true. It looks like you'll need a beast of a machine to play it on PC. I had it preordered, but I think I might wait a while until it comes down a bit in price. The game hasn't been well publicised at all at all and have seen very little coverage of it. You never know, I might go out and pick it up on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Want to get it but I'm on a bit of a purchasing freeze at the moment. Have far too many games that I haven't had a chance to play. Was a waste of money. Still have to finish mass effect and start Bioshock 2 and the new STALKER. Oh and bloody tropico 3. I played the tutorial for 20 mins.
    I might get the novel instead of the game for now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I won't be picking this up without sampling a demo first; as mentioned above, the recommended specs are way beyond what my machine is capable of. Which leaves me confused as the game doesn't look that more amazing than most current generation games. There do seem to be a lot of atmospheric effects, so maybe that's what is pushing the specs up. I don't see the point in shelling out money just to then ramp the detail down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,578 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

really interested in this til I saw the specs! I would be lucky to run minimum specs and i will only dosh out money if I know I am getting the game as it was meant to be, pity.

Looks class though. I like the sound of wearing a gas mask above ground but there is no oxygen indicator so you set your stop watch and have to keep checking your watch to know when you will run out of air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Can someone post the review here please...it's blocked at work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Ah, time to roll out one of my "meanwhile in capitalist Russia" anecdotes... A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to be out in Moscow visiting a developers' fair. While I was there I met up with one of the 1C Company bosses, and we had a chat about the apocalyptic theme that runs through Russian and Ukrainian gaming.

It was, he said, partly something to do with the psyche of the people of the region, but also, perhaps, because Fallout had been so popular. "All our developers just want to make another Fallout," he said, laughing.

It was only later that I realised quite what he meant. It wasn't that they all wanted to make intricate role-playing games, but that the classic apocalyptic scenario had become one with the region's own dystopian fictions. Some of the games we're now seeing come out of Russia - S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Cryostasis, Metro 2033 - are an expression of that collision of ideas.

The quality of the fiction is clearly a big deal to Ukrainian developers. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developer GSC based its game partly on the real Chernobyl zone and partly on the incredible novel "Roadside Picnic", and now Metro 2033 leans on the apocalyptic scribblings of handsome young Russian author, Dmitry Glukhovski.

Metro 2033, which first appeared as a series of online works and then later as a novel, describes Moscow after a nuclear war, with the human survivors living in the impressive underground rail system beneath the city. This provides the backdrop for the game, which sees you take on the role of the protagonist, Artyom, as he makes a journey through the underground to try and save his station (which equal settlements in his underground world) from ultimate destruction.

The surface world is extremely hostile, but it has to be traversed.
    Needless to say, this involves lots and lots of violence, because Metro 2033 is set in a network of tunnels, and this is a tunnel shooter of the kind we are all familiar with. As ever in these games, a series of linear events propels you forward, and while there are places in which you wander around in and explore, this is definitely not S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and has none of the same sandbox ambitions.

Metro 2033 is filled with cinematic sequences, and even moments when control is pulled from your hands and the game takes over Artyom's viewpoint. More intriguingly still, there are quasi-cut-scene hallucinations, which are partly FMV and partly interactive - something like certain scenes from the FEAR games.

Metro 2033 is a traditional shooter in many ways, and a game that looks to Half-Life 2 or the Call of Duty games for its inspiration, but it's in the details that these games live or die. Fortunately for us the development team, 4A Games, is pretty competent in this regard, and has thrown down plenty of variety along the way.

Combat takes place in all kinds of situations, sometimes with allies and companions at your side, and sometimes solo, in the murky depths of the Metro. There are extensive non-combat sequences too, such as when you visit various stations and other underground bases.

You regularly find yourself with company as you travel the tunnels.
    Many of these can be wandered around, and are filled with ambient goings-on: people are chatting, trading, keeping pigs, drinking booze. It adds a swathe of life and character to the game world that most other games lack. You begin to see a little of how this endangered human community might survive.

Your visits to these places are only temporary respite, however, because most of the game is in the journey, and Moscow is a brutal and nightmarish place. Not only because the people are hard and spiteful, but because the world is now the home of various hideous mutants.

And did I mention it's murky? Curling smoke and dust, down to strata of poisonous gas. While there are occasional visits to the brightly-lit and blasted landscape of the surface, most of the action takes place in the tunnels.

Wherever you are it's atmospheric. This is a world that is heaving with apocalyptic detail, but also submerged in its own gaseous horrors. Both on the surface, and in certain areas of the Metro, you'll require a gas mask, which uses filters like a gun uses ammunition. The first time you die because of exposure to gases, you begin to realise that this is a shooter that is as much about survival as about the story, or the combat.
    The gas-mask gives a claustrophobic feeling, even when you're outside in bright snowy ruins on the surface. You're stuck behind the cracked and condensation-ringed goggles, and you can hear yourself breathing, with that breath getting steadily more ragged as the filter breaks down.

Combat too feels the repercussions of the survivalist design decisions, because ammunition is limited. So limited, in fact, that it's actually the currency, which you'll spend on equipment when you visit the various stations throughout the Metro.

The problem is that the limited ammo impairs your combat fun. You want to be scooting about shooting the mutants and human enemies that populate the world, but instead you're forced to take things slowly and carefully. I couldn't help wondering if this was the game's PC heritage showing itself on our Xbox 360 review copy, because I could imagine being a lot more accurate in placing my shots with a mouse and keyboard.

While Metro's pace is easily adjusted to with a pad, it didn't feel tuned for playing on my sofa: I wanted to be leaning forward to peer into the gloom, and I cursed every time I ran out of ammo - something that wouldn't have been such an issue if I'd been more accurate.

Armoured enemies can be a genuine annoyance when you are using weaker weapons.
    There are a handful of other things that also make combat an annoyance. The first and most obvious is that many of the mutants are stooped down and run along the ground. Consequently you're shooting down around your feet, or losing track of them entirely as they run off camera, under your field of vision.

It's a little niggle, but it's consistent, and could have been fixed with the creatures just being bigger or slightly further away when they attacked. Another more serious complaint is the amount of damage armoured human enemies take towards the end of the game. You're pounding them over and over before they go down, and it just doesn't make for interesting gunplay.

The most frustrating and least forgivable of the combat design decisions is the inclusion of instant-death traps in many of the environments. While the tripwires are generally fairly obvious, being blown up by one because you were diving around a corner in the midst of a firefight will result in a gamepad being hurled across the room. Worse, the explosives can't be blown up with a grenade, as you might expect.

So it's a bunch of minor things about the core game that tarnish what is otherwise an excellent shooter. I should stress just how inventive and beautiful this game is: the action is expertly punctuated with unexpected experiences, such as collapsing into a hallucination, or manning a giant flamethrower, or struggling to find your way on a collapsed Moscow street while being hunted by flying demon creatures, or smuggling yourself aboard a train full of nazis, or helping guide a lost child home...

The timer on your wrist will tell you just how much filter time your mask has left.
    I could go on. There are also some serious options for stealth. Some segments of the game promised to be impassable firefights, but to my surprise I was actually able to sneak my way through with a few throwing knives and a silenced SMG. It's not abundantly clear from the game itself that this is an option, but it seems to allow you to play like that, at least in some places.

Metro 2033 doesn't always feel polished, and there are those horrible moments that occasionally let linear games down, where you lose the thread of where you're meant to be heading and end up circling round - which is basically just down to bad level design.

Nevertheless Metro 2033 is far busier and far more accomplished than I expected it to be, and it's also one of the best-looking games - at least in a few very special scenes - on the Xbox 360.

Combine these technical achievements with a game that has been carefully written, and lavishly imagined, and you start to get close to a sort of negative image of BioShock. While everything in Rapture is lurid and fantastical, here there is only grit, and blood, and suffocation.

Whether that's what you're looking for, well, that's up to you.

8/10
    Read our Scoring Policy
    Advertisement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Bah, I want to watch 28 Days/Weeks Later now....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hurrah! I just upgraded my Pc with a high end gfx card and 8 gig of ram. Bring it on Metro 2033! I piss on your recommended specs!

On a side note, does anyone know where this is on sale for cheap? I don't have a lot of money to spare anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah, im definately going to get this. im a sucker for post apocalyptic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

humanji wrote: »
    Hurrah! I just upgraded my Pc with a high end gfx card and 8 gig of ram. Bring it on Metro 2033! I piss on your recommended specs!

On a side note, does anyone know where this is on sale for cheap? I don't have a lot of money to spare anymore.

What card? A DX11 one? Most reports are saying this only runs really well on DX10 and basically DX11 @ high settings is only palyable on cards that havent been released yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, it's a Dx11 one. I know everyone has been saying not to bother with them, but I like to treat myself. And sure if it doesn't run right, I've still got my old card which will do the trick anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wow, what a bitch of a game to run. This is definitely not a console port. I can only run it on High settings in dx10 @1920x1200, very high is too laggy (30ish but dropping below 20, maybe it might be playable with an optimised driver), but I'm getting great frames on high (constant 50-60). Graphics are very good, great use of dx10 shadows, lightning and blur and smoke effects. Very like Stalker, not only in atmosphere and graphically, but movement wise, weapons etc. I'm only just played through chapter one but I'm engrossed so far. Its definitely one for the pc. Here's a few screenies

metro20332010-03-1715-38-10-86.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1715-40-53-79.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1715-41-03-14.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1715-44-53-53.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1715-45-59-96.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1715-48-03-44.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1715-49-12-62.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1715-50-39-70.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1715-51-05-82.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1715-51-04-58.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1715-50-48-18.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Finished this a few days ago. Superb. We only ever really get a handful of gems in any console's generation, and this is one of them. The detail and passion that went into this game is incredible. This is right up there with the likes of Mass Effect 2.

I played it on the xbox360, and even on that, in the directx9 environment, the visuals are very impressive. Silky smooth too.

Is there an alternate ending does anyone know, where you don't destroy the dark men? If so how do you get it?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Wow, what a bitch of a game to run. This is definitely not a console port. I can only run it on High settings in dx10 @1920x1200, very high is too laggy (30ish but dropping below 20, maybe it might be playable with an optimised driver), but I'm getting great frames on high (constant 50-60). Graphics are very good, great use of dx10 shadows, lightning and blur and smoke effects. Very like Stalker, not only in atmosphere and graphically, but movement wise, weapons etc. I'm only just played through chapter one but I'm engrossed so far. Its definitely one for the pc.
    How's the AI PogMoThoin? I've read one or two complaints online about it.

After a defrag I tried V High again and its perfectly playable (30-70fps). The first few scenes were really overdoing the effects but when You get into it its fine. Loving this, even if it is very linear. Here's some more screenies, v high this time

metro20332010-03-1716-46-17-85.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1716-49-04-51.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1716-58-00-25.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1716-58-39-10.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1717-00-49-47.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1717-05-13-91.jpg
    metro20332010-03-1717-05-54-75.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm a couple of hours into this to and I'm really enjoying it. Thought it looked average in the trailers but really glad I went for it now.

Playing it on 8800GT, Core2Duo 3ghz and 4gb ram on DX10 high. Running at 1280*720 to fit on my TV, runs surprisingly well. Its playable on very high too, until object based motion blur kicks in and it drops to 3-5fps :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

You using fraps pog?

oh and you can change settings if you go to C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro 2033 and/or where ever the install is, game looks a lot better not on the default fov of 45

Burgo wrote: »
    You using fraps pog?

Yeah, Fraps
    Burgo wrote: »
    oh and you can change settings if you go to C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro 2033 and/or where ever the install is, game looks a lot better not on the default fov of 45

Thanks for this, FOV had annoyed me, trying 75 now will report back

Edit: 75 is too much, 60 is perfect for me at 1920x1200

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

metro20332010-03-1716-49-04-51.jpg

Is that Bill Murray ?

They stated 8GB ram as recomended requirements, the process is using at most 130MB of my ram :confused: It does run evenly on all 4 cores of my quad though and doesn't just thrash one core like most games, really needs a quad from what I've read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

They stated 8GB ram as recomended requirements, the process is using at most 130MB of my ram :confused: It does run evenly on all 4 cores of my quad though and doesn't just thrash one core like most games, really needs a quad from what I've read
    I have a Quad @ 2.4ghz and an ATI 4850 (res: 1680 X 1050), 4 GB of RAM on 64 bit. What do you think my chances are of running this @ medium settings? I assume its the GFX card that will hold me back...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

damn, looks like I'll have to get this so...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

metro20332010-03-1716-58-39-10.jpg

I love the way all the men are walking around in winter gear and warm clothing where as the women are still able to survive in tight low cut tops, hot pants and stockings with suspenders... hilarious :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i picking this up tommorrow

anyone know what prices it will be in the likes of game stop and game.

i seen a sign in hmv saying it would be 45e

Advertisement