Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X 10.10 Yosemite - Public Beta - July 24th

Options
  • 24-07-2014 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

So Apple officially announced that the public beta program will open to anybody who signed up starting from today (July 24th). Link here for anybody still wanting to sign up.

So who's signed up here? And if so post here to let us know if you've recieved your invitation.

I signed up just after the keynote in June. So I'm hoping to be sent an invite and try it out, it seems to be limited to the first 1 million users who signed up. I've just one Mac so I'll be using it on my main machine, I don't do anything specific on it anyway so if it's a bit buggy I'll be grand with it. Seeing reports it's release could be October I'm hoping to try it out early and hopefully get to keep it as long as it's not too problematic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I also signed up pretty much immediately, no email yet :(

This is also my work machine but I'll probably bite and run the beta from the 2nd iteration. Had the most recent beta running on a partition for a few weeks and it is _gorgeous_. Serious eye candy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Signed up have a mid 2012 MacBook pro and a mid 2011 MacBook air with 2gb ram, I'll stick it on the air I'd say even though it will struggle with the small amount of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

banquo wrote: »
    I also signed up pretty much immediately, no email yet :(

This is also my work machine but I'll probably bite and run the beta from the 2nd iteration. Had the most recent beta running on a partition for a few weeks and it is _gorgeous_. Serious eye candy.

Is your machine a retina?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Does this enable iCloud Drive, and if so, does that render Documents and Data over iCloud useless? I know the iOS 8 betas have icloud drive enabled on them as as it's different to Docs and Dada there's not compatibility ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Was one of the first to sign up to this. Looking forward to trying it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Zcott wrote: »
    Does this enable iCloud Drive, and if so, does that render Documents and Data over iCloud useless? I know the iOS 8 betas have icloud drive enabled on them as as it's different to Docs and Dada there's not compatibility ATM.

Certain features that work with iOS 8 have been removed for the public beta. It's possible this could be one of the disabled features as well. I know a lot of the continuity stuff won't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I'm awaiting my email too. I'm guessing it will be sent out morning PST time, so from 5pm onwards. Any idea what kind of size download it will be? Am on an extremely crap connection so I could be downloading all night.

fjon wrote: »
    I'm awaiting my email too. I'm guessing it will be sent out morning PST time, so from 5pm onwards. Any idea what kind of size download it will be? Am on an extremely crap connection so I could be downloading all night.

Probably a couple of gb. I think mountain lion was 3gb.

Around 4.7gb

Still nothing for me. I'd say it will be sometime after 6pm Irish time. That's usually the time Apple roll out updates anyway. (Im)patiently waiting for an email atm. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Zcott wrote: »

I reckon iCloud Drive will be disabled for public beta users. If it isn’t, you’ll be given a option during installation to upgrade to iCloud Drive or continue using iCloud Documents & Data. You should choose the later. But there’s been reports of users who had their account upgraded anyway, so you probably shouldn’t install Yosemite at all unless you can easily switch to using Dropbox for document syncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

so, If I currently have all my photos auto going to iCloud at the moment

Will I loose them ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

so, If I currently have all my photos auto going to iCloud at the moment

Will I loose them ?

The upgrade to iCloud Drive only affects iCloud Documents & Data (which it is replacing). Other iCloud services such as Photo Stream are unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Its recommended to install 10.10 onto an external harddrive or NOT onto a mac you are currently using (Such as a second partition) as reverting back will certainly be a pain in the bum!

Just logged into the beta site and it looks like I was accepted into the beta program. Gonna power up the MacBook and give it a go.

EDIT: iCloud Drive is included but again, your asked if you want to upgrade to it first.

I have my redemption code & ready to go! :)

5.07GB file size by the way.

Downloaded and ready to go for me. Just waiting for a Time Machine backup to finish. It was just done and then jumped in size to include the 10.10 beta I just downloaded. Shouldn't be too much longer.

No email from Apple so I assume I'm not part of the public beta :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

DubDJ wrote: »
    Downloaded and ready to go for me. Just waiting for a Time Machine backup to finish. It was just done and then jumped in size to include the 10.10 beta I just downloaded. Shouldn't be too much longer.

I envy your broadband speeds - your download is quicker than your backup! 3 hours 37 minutes to go for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I envy your broadband speeds - your download is quicker than your backup! 3 hours 37 minutes to go for me :(

I'm on UPC's lowest tier BB. Supposed to be 60MB I think but I do get the actual advertised speeds so I never have trouble with downloads.

So i'm getting this during installation. Guessing I need to partition?

Ix8lphR.png

No, you just need to reformat the drive with GUID, which is necessary in order to boot off the drive.

EDIT: never mind, I thought you were installing on an external hd. I’m not sure why you are getting that error. I guess it just won’t install over Mavericks.

No, you just need to reformat the drive with GUID, which is necessary in order to boot off the drive.

Will this wipe the drive or is it just changing the type? Never encountered this before.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Will this wipe the drive or is it just changing the type? Never encountered this before.

It’ll wipe the drive. The thing is the drive should already be GUID. Intel Macs need it to boot. That’s why I assumed it was an external.

It’ll wipe the drive. The thing is the drive should already be GUID. Intel Macs need it to boot. That’s why I assumed it was an external.

It's strange because its the drive i'm running Mavericks on at the moment. I've swapped the HDD out and back again so maybe it went wrong somewhere along the lines. So looks like i'll need to reformat and restore from Time Machine. :(

Check what the partition map scheme is in Disk Utility. It’ll say at the bottom, below the SMART status.

It’s possible during an earlier restoration that you restored onto a new drive using Apple partition map. The system let you boot from it but won’t let you install on it.

My memory is hazy, but I think this might have happened to me at some point as well. It must have been some time ago though since Disk Utility has been automatically formatting in GUID for quite a while.

Check what the partition map scheme is in Disk Utility. It’ll say at the bottom, below the SMART status.

It’s possible during an earlier restoration that you restored onto a new drive using Apple partition map. The system let you boot from it but won’t let you install on it.

My memory is hazy, but I think this might have happened to me at some point as well. It must have been some time ago though since Disk Utility has been automatically formatting in GUID for quite a while.

Yeah it was the wrong partion map
    Scheme. I had used bootcamp a while back too so something must of messed it up at some time. Gonna wipe the drive now and restore from time machine. Probably have to wait till tomorrow to try Yosemite though. Thanks Prof.

It’s funny how I how often I find the answer to something Mac related by searching my own posts. I totally forgot about this. From 2011:
    Karsini wrote: »
    You'll need to reformat it as GUID. I thought Disk Utility did this automatically since SL, but if not go into the partitions tab and do it from there. Intel macs need GUID to boot so I don't know how you were booting using APM.

I thought only PowerPC Macs could boot with Apple Partition Map. :confused:
    I thought so too, but in fact it seems that OS X can boot from APM on an Intel Mac, it just won't install on APM. Silvine must have restored from a TM backup.

So yeah, you’ll have to reformat the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Aodhagan wrote: »
    I have my redemption code & ready to go! :)

5.07GB file size by the way.

How did you get the Code

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

airuser wrote: »
    How did you get the Code

Accept the terms and conditions on the beta page and you will get link to get the code

Advertisement