Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 10: Baileys and Malteser Cheesecake

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

irishbird wrote: »
    some random south African cream liqueur, so used that.

This is the stuff

frame-product-large-ecadcde4220f17f8f0f009b656164ee9.png

Amarula Cream Liqueur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Out of the recipe amounts we made two this size

DSCN2773.jpg?t=1271098896

One for the relations we had over for dinner, and the other one I'm giving to my mother.

I loved it, and I'm not a fan of cheesecake. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I just have to ask, if I were to make a lemon version of this, how would I go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Anyone have an idea of the calorie content in this? Or preferably Weight Watchers points? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

id say dont even go there stripey :D but how about low fat digestives, extra light philly cheese and emla single cream.. prob other things could be save too but that might be a help :)

sorry to be butchering the beautiful recipe... or else make as is and cut a muniscule slice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    I just have to ask, if I were to make a lemon version of this, how would I go about it?

I'd say leave out the baileys and malteesers and add lemon juice and zest when beating the cream cheese. Maybe make a nice lemon drizzle for the top or to swirl through :)
    heres a link to nigella recipe
    Anyone have an idea of the calorie content in this? Or preferably Weight Watchers points? :)
    Well add up all the points from the ingredients and divide by the amt of slices -
    I've made it with extra light phili, you could try light biscuits (as curly said) and low fat spread melted (flora or something) and I've seen light carnation condensed milk in Tescos this week, use a little pkt of Malteseres! and you've got a lighter version-no light baileys afaik :D:D

017072.jpg?ts=634047669280

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

That cheesecake looks excellent, going to give it a go over the weekend.

Only problem being that I know I'll want to eat it all by myself!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

For anyone interested in a lower fat option/with WW points, here are my calculations:........
    250g low fat digestives [21 WW points]
    100g low fat spread [10 WW points]

250g low fat Philadelphia [16 WW points]
    Shot of baileys [2 WW points]
    250ml whipped cream [Not sure, but guessing about 12 WW points]
    Tin of low fat condensed milk [14 WW points]
    Maltesers 44g bag [3.5 WW points]

THESE ARE ONLY GUESSES AT THE MOMENT AS DON'T HAVE PRODUCTS IN MY HOUSE!

Total added up = 78.5?! Seems a bit mad! If I make it & divide into 16 slices, this makes each slice just under 5 points! Happy baking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Made this with some adjustments:
    • Replaced 40g of the biscuit base with a 37g packet of crushed up Maltesers to get that taste into the base
    • Didn't have Baileys, and didn't use any Maltesers in the filling itself as I only had two small bags, so used 2 Tbsp of Horlicks (malt powder) instead
    • Used low-fat cream cheese, as I had it lying around
    Very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I have never made cheesecake before but I think I will give this ago the weekend, I am sure I will be back on the forum asking for help (not the best cook/baker in the world) but I will give it a go. Wish me luck, I might need it.

• Advertisement

good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Only after stumbelling upon this forum myself and this cheese cake sounds delicious, might give it a go tomorrow evening, looking forward to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

hi,

made this cheesecake at the weekend, and usually quite a good cook and have made toblerone cheesecake but I use a different recipe, no condensed milk and use eggs instead.

Anyway when I made this cheesecake and it was yummy, it just didn't seem to set all that well and when i removed it from the tin it kinda flopped a bit. Was wondering if anyone knew if I possibly used too much or too little gelatine?

All the same it did taste yummy and everyone who had some loved it and asked me to make them one each!!

shoes34 wrote: »
    hi,

made this cheesecake at the weekend, and usually quite a good cook and have made toblerone cheesecake but I use a different recipe, no condensed milk and use eggs instead.

Anyway when I made this cheesecake and it was yummy, it just didn't seem to set all that well and when i removed it from the tin it kinda flopped a bit. Was wondering if anyone knew if I possibly used too much or too little gelatine?

All the same it did taste yummy and everyone who had some loved it and asked me to make them one each!!

Hey! glad you liked it and it went down well - I'd say up the geletin and it should set better for you next time :)

sorry when you say up the gelatine - should I use two packets of it? I really want to make it again as it was just so tasty.

shoes34 wrote: »
    sorry when you say up the gelatine - should I use two packets of it? I really want to make it again as it was just so tasty.
    Hi! one pack of Doc otker really should set it but if you've used one and that didnt do, try 2. Make sure the cream is well whipped too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm going to a mid-winter Christmas dinner on Saturday and this is going to be my contribution.

I am very much looking forward to making and eating it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Got mine in fridge now :D Used one of those party sized bags of maltesers. Half in the base half in the cream. mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

This was so good I've banned myself from making it again for at least a month. I ate half of it and being hounded to make more :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Mine went down really well too. Plates scraped clean!

Although

a) I had far too much cheese mix for the base. Don't know how I did that. I just put it in the fridge in its own tin ate it myself the next day :o

b) I couldn't get it out of the tin I used so I couldn't get it to look all pretty on the plate or cut it in to proper slices. What kind of tin did everyone else use?

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    Mine went down really well too. Plates scraped clean!

Although

a) I had far too much cheese mix for the base. Don't know how I did that. I just put it in the fridge in its own tin ate it myself the next day :o

b) I couldn't get it out of the tin I used so I couldn't get it to look all pretty on the plate or cut it in to proper slices. What kind of tin did everyone else use?
    Okay easiest think is to use a bigger tin next time!
    I use a loose based springform tin like this it's handy because the sides come away and you can just lift it away - and if you run a knife around the edge it should come out grand. Or sometimes I'll use a glass or delph quiche style dish like this. Maybe my error with the gelatin quantities.. how much did you use, did you find it was too soft?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Eventually got round to making this. Couldnt find the wee bottle of Baileys & didnt want to buy a big bottle so I just made do without it. I also used the big pouch bag of Maltesers that you get in the cinema, put some of them in the base & the rest into the mix. It was magic.

2qwhcly.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I finally got around to making this! Sadly, mine was not great.

I used the original amount of gelatine recommended (1.5 tsp) and it just didn't set. I think I'd use twice or even three times that amount. Of course if I'd read all of the comments I might have seen that!

Also, I found it too sweet.

So, I definitely plan on making this again, but with more gelatine and less condensed milk. Thanks for the recipe. Hopefully I'll be able to post a nice pic of round 2. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Alright, round 2. Here's an image after many mistakes trying to resize!

kec8x0.jpg

So I made some adjustments. I used a full packet and a little more of gelatine, and got rid of the condensed milk. To add sweetness I put in 1tbsp of icing sugar and 4tbsp of malt extract. I just whipped this into the Baileys and cream cheese.

It's delicious, beautiful and perfectly set. :)

I finally got around to making this! Sadly, mine was not great.

I used the original amount of gelatine recommended (1.5 tsp) and it just didn't set. I think I'd use twice or even three times that amount. Of course if I'd read all of the comments I might have seen that!

Also, I found it too sweet.

So, I definitely plan on making this again, but with more gelatine and less condensed milk. Thanks for the recipe. Hopefully I'll be able to post a nice pic of round 2. :)

Aw flip, you know I'll ask a mod to adjust the first post because 1 packet of geletin seems to be the correct amount.
    I have a very sweet tooth!!
    Alright, round 2. Here's an image after many mistakes trying to resize!

kec8x0.jpg

So I made some adjustments. I used a full packet and a little more of gelatine, and got rid of the condensed milk. To add sweetness I put in 1tbsp of icing sugar and 4tbsp of malt extract. I just whipped this into the Baileys and cream cheese.

It's delicious, beautiful and perfectly set. :)
    That's awesome, glad it worked out for you on the next try and I'm interested in how the malt extract works, i'll be trying that out in the future :)

I sometimes add some melted white chocolate and it would add sweetness too so that's something to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

Sorry for bunping old thread, but made this yesterday, was my first attempt at cooking club. It is delicious! had no baileys so left it out. Mixture was very runny initially and after reading some of the comments here was afraid it wouldn't set so put in some extra gelatin- used about 1 and 3/4 satchets. It probably slightly overset with that but was still yum. Will definitely do again but will probably use just the 1 satchet of gelatin next time and slightly less biscuits as the base was slightly too thick i thought.

It works well with melted white chocolate and those white malteesers! if they bring them out again, om nyom :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭So Many Shoes

Thanks so much for the recipe Kerash, it looks amazing, going to make it tomorrow night!

But just a quick question for those who said to use less condensed milk - would ye recommend half a tin or quarter of a tin instead? I don't have a huge sweet tooth!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

cheesecakei.jpg

Tasted great - used 1 and a bit sachets of gelatine and it set fine.

thanks.

• Advertisement

kerash wrote: »
    Hi! one pack of Doc otker really should set it but if you've used one and that didnt do, try 2. Make sure the cream is well whipped too :)

I made it again with 2 packs and it was delicious. I was just wondering could you use light condensed milk?

Advertisement