Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 10: Baileys and Malteser Cheesecake

Options
  • 06-03-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

Hope no-one minds me posting a little early, I may not have time on Monday!

So here we go, I bring you cake! Cheesecake infact, I'm a bit of a make-it-up-as-you-go-along, kinda chef! so I do hope this works out well for people. Sometimes I make it in my dedicated dish or in individual ramekins - it's up to you. I find the gelatin helps it to set and keep a good shape but I think it'd be okay to leave it out - the cream should hold things together well.
    p.s It's a lovely dessert at Easter time :)

Baileys and Malteser Cheesecake

For an 9-inch round tin or 8 approx. ramekins

BASE:
    250 grams Digestives crushed in processor or with a rolling pin (in a ziplock bag!)
    100g butter melted

FILLING:
    250g cream cheese (Philadelphia)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 shot Baileys (to taste)
    250ml Whipping Cream
    1 tin condensed milk
    1 bag of Maltesers
    1/4 cup boiling water
    1 sachet of dr oetker gelatin

Method:
    For base, mix biscuit crumbs and melted butter together. Press and smooth evenly into the tin or ramekins with the back of a spoon.
    Place in a fridge/ freezer while you get on with the filling.

Place the Maltesers in a food bag and break up into bits with a rolling pin.

In your mixer (or using a whisk), whip cream till stiff peaks form, chill.
    In a mixer (no need to wash after whipping cream), beat the cheese until smooth, beat in condensed milk, vanilla and Baileys.

In boiling water, sprinkle gelatin evenly, leave to "bloom" for 2 minutes.
    Stir to dissolve.
    (If using leaves - dissolve in boiling water and gently heat with a little of the cheesecake mix until completely melted and add back to the cheesecake mix)

Fold the Whipped cream and Maltesers into the cheese mix and stir in the gelatin.

Pour the mixture into your tin and chill until set, preferably overnight.

Tip: If you don’t have a food processor for the biscuits, put them into a food bag and bash them up with a rolling pin.
    Tip: Taste the mix, if you’d like more baileys add more!
    Tip: Make sure to incorporate the ingredients well!
    Tip: To serve; run a knife around the edges and it should come away easily from the sides.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

going to need to ask the mother for a lend of some Baileys :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Might try it for Mother's day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Des wrote: »
    going to need to ask the mother for a lend of some Baileys :)

The off licence often have teeny little bottles which are great for this.

This looks yum Kerash. I'll have to wait till after Lent, but I'm deffo gonna try this. I love cheesecake!

Can't wait for all the photos!

Yahey! So happy to have an excuse to make this. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mmm, sounds great! Will hopefully make it for the OH when lent is over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sorry if there's an obvious answer, but is gelatine powder easy to get in supermarkets, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yes its in the baking aisle, dr. okter do a small box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lamacchi

Can I replace the condensed milk with something else? Maybe some more whipped cream? or some fresh milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Lamacchi wrote: »
    Can I replace the condensed milk with something else? Maybe some more whipped cream? or some fresh milk?
    The condensed milk provides the sweetness and it's thick, so you'd want to replace it with sugar and cream and extra cream cheese but not milk!!

Edit: I'm making one for mothers day too :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Probably a silly question but I haven't made cheesecake before.. if I buy the Avonmore whipped cream will that do? I don't have an electric whisk and I know from past experience my arms aren't up to doing it manually!

Also is it just the normal size bag of Maltesers?

Making this Friday night for dinner party Sat, fingers crossed!

Probably a silly question but I haven't made cheesecake before.. if I buy the Avonmore whipped cream will that do? I don't have an electric whisk and I know from past experience my arms aren't up to doing it manually!

Also is it just the normal size bag of Maltesers?

Making this Friday night for dinner party Sat, fingers crossed!

I havent used that cream before, but it's whipped it should do the job :)

Yep a normal size but it you fancy adding more do! I'd sometimes throw in a packet of choc/milky bar buttons aswell :pac:nyom

Good Luck!

ps give the phili a good 'ol beating with a wooden spoon if you have no mixer ;)

I have to say I don't have high hopes but I hope I'm wrong! It's currently in the fridge a few hours but no real sign of it setting yet... and from tasting it it's very sweet - I think perhaps I wouldn't add all the condensed milk if I was doing it again but in fairness I haven't tasted the finished thing yet, have to wait til tomorrow evening for that!

As an aside, condensed milk is gorgeous! I tasted it straight from the tin and was lucky to have any left to put in the cheesecake at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Its 23.56 now. What time did you make it?

I have to say I don't have high hopes but I hope I'm wrong! It's currently in the fridge a few hours but no real sign of it setting yet... and from tasting it it's very sweet - I think perhaps I wouldn't add all the condensed milk if I was doing it again but in fairness I haven't tasted the finished thing yet, have to wait til tomorrow evening for that!

As an aside, condensed milk is gorgeous! I tasted it straight from the tin and was lucky to have any left to put in the cheesecake at all!

It's not going to go very solid but it shouldn't be very runny when it goes in the tin - it being set just means it's not moving when you move the tin (if you know what I mean) I've never had one collapse when I've taken it out of the tin so fingers crossed :eek:
    oh lordy, I'm on the edge of my seat!
    I hope it works out for you :)
    Re sweetness - I have a sweet tooth! :P

Edit: made mine today - i've always used the gelatin leaves so this time I used the power, i'll let you know how it sets :) I was reminded of how the gelatin can become lumpy so if that happens just run the mixture through a sieve after you've added it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Just made the cake now and it's in the fridge.
    Might try it for Mother's day. :)

Exactly what I'm doing!

What I'm thinking too. I've never made a gelatine cheesecake before and don't know what the setting times are like.
    kerash wrote: »
    It's not going to go very solid but it shouldn't be very runny when it goes in the tin - it being set just means it's not moving when you move the tin (if you know what I mean) I've never had one collapse when I've taken it out of the tin so fingers crossed :eek:
    oh lordy, I'm on the edge of my seat!
    I hope it works out for you :)
    Re sweetness - I have a sweet tooth! :P

I put in two sachets of gelatine for extra insurance. Hopfully it doesn't turn into a block of raw jelly! :D

So, I'll get a photo of a slice of it tomorrow when it's being eaten.

I kept 12 Maltesers to plop on the top for slice guidelines. Here's how it looks so far:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5376

Just made the cake now and it's in the fridge.

Exactly what I'm doing!

What I'm thinking too. I've never made a gelatine cheesecake before and don't know what the setting times are like.

I put in two sachets of gelatine for extra insurance. Hopfully it doesn't turn into a block of raw jelly! :D

So, I'll get a photo of a slice of it tomorrow when it's being eaten.

I kept 12 Maltesers to plop on the top for slice guidelines. Here's how it looks so far:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5376
    Awesome! it's definitely set with too sachets!! :D

kerash wrote: »
    Awesome! it's definitely set with too sachets!! :D

Quick update: it's definitely setting.

Pics tomorrow.

Made this last evening and let it set over night. It actually made two. Will see what it's like after dinner. The marks on it are from a spoon.

baileysmalt.jpg

This is what it turned out like:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5386

It set just nicely with the two sachets of gelatine. It was a bit firmer than cheesecakes usually are, but by no means rubbery or unpleasant to eat.

Went down well with everyone so thanks to kerash!

• Advertisement

That looks yum!!!

Well it tasted fabulous but it didn't set - when I took out of the tin it just kind of spread everywhere! It wasn't the end of the world as it was my parents we had over so I didn't feel under pressure about it. Very scrummy though!

Well it tasted fabulous but it didn't set - when I took out of the tin it just kind of spread everywhere! It wasn't the end of the world as it was my parents we had over so I didn't feel under pressure about it. Very scrummy though!

Aww sugar, I tried the dr. okter stuff for the first time Saturday and it set...

Glad you found it yummy though :)

Ours was rather tasty and set well. I was the first to try a small bit and the next time I came back to the kitchen half of it was gone! The condensed milk was very, very sweet. Will be making it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Sorry for bumping an older thread but I went ahead and made this during the weekend. I'm proud and want to share!

I absolutely loved it, went down well with the girlfriend and I brought down a few slices to the parents. It didn't last long.

Only change was I used Kahlua instead of Baileys, very happy with the results altogether. I just need a proper cheesecake dish next time, I roughed it up a bit getting it out of the tin.

I also went a bit mad with the maltesers on top. Looking forward to making the next one as I'll get it spot on 2nd time around.

attachment.php?attachmentid=108507&stc=1&d=1269365555

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i havent made this yet, as des doesnt eat cheese cake and i might just eat it all by myself but i will be keeping this for the next time people are coming around - it looks divine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I made this yesterday. It was nice alright but a few things went wrong for me.

1) I went a bit OTT with the Baileys which spoiled it a bit. Well I liked it but the others thought I was an alco.
    2) I didn't add enough gelatine either so it didn't set very well (I used 1.5 tsp of the Dr Oetker one)
    3) the base wasn't thick enough for my liking so I'd use a lot more biccies the next time

Still happy enough though because even though this one didn't turn out great the next one'll be a lot better.

I made this for Easter Sunday and thought I'd taken a pic but I didn't! :(

Anyway, I made a smaller version and think I didn't put in enough gelatine as it wasn't solid enough. Personally, I prefer cheesecake a little more runny and homemade rather than rubbery so it suited me!

Went down very well with Easter guests - had a yummy Baileys kick. Also, I ate loads of condensed milk from the tin - amazing!

Will deffo be trying a full size one again. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Have the in-laws coming for dinner tomorrow, so heading out now to get the ingredients for this.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, its in the fridge now.

didnt have any baileys but had a shot bottle of some random south African cream liqueur, so used that.

himself, who hates cheesecake tasted some of the mixture and thought it was lovely.

will let you know tomorrow how it goes down :)

Advertisement