Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computing Students

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

siblers wrote: »
    You know for work experience, do you still get regular college holidays, like would you get 2 weeks off for easter etc.

I'm 99.9% sure you follow the rules of your work placement. You may start work from 8am to 5pm or it could be 6am to 2pm, and not the 9am starts like college. As you know yourself workwise, they don't get 2 weeks off for Easter so very unlikely we will either.

I'm thinking the main reason for this change of work placement to 3rd year is to give you a better chance of coming up with new unique final project ideas for 4th year from where you do get your work placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

In fourth year you work 4 day week and then you have one day for project supervisor meeting, maybe an odd lecture. I really love to know where all these work places are going to come from, I mean its one thing for fourth years, smaller group getting ready to leave college but third year usually still has a large group, dunno it will be interesting to see if this will work or not.

CoderDozer wrote: »
    In fourth year you work 4 day week and then you have one day for project supervisor meeting, maybe an odd lecture. I really love to know where all these work places are going to come from, I mean its one thing for fourth years, smaller group getting ready to leave college but third year usually still has a large group, dunno it will be interesting to see if this will work or not.

Do you know if it's around the general area, do you look for the work or the college?

I remember in UL during the work placement we were given interviews to go for country wide. Unfortunately I got my work placement in Dun Laoghaire, couldn't afford living there and had to leave college because of it. It was pretty ruthless, either take the work or leave the course.

I don't know how they set it up, if you have contacts it is the best job but I think they try and set up interviews, there is probably enough tech companies around to try and keep it local. Again, because of the greater numbers this year I have no idea how/if they will be able to facilitate it all, they must have thought about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Hopefully the work will be relevant to us ... have heard and know of some work placement horror stories .. if it's done properly great .... if not ............. ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭siblers

JFlah wrote: »
    Hopefully the work will be relevant to us ... have heard and know of some work placement horror stories .. if it's done properly great .... if not ............. ouch.

My biggest concern would be going working somewhere and not having enough skills/knowledge to cope of what is asked of you.

My biggest concern would be going working somewhere and not having enough skills/knowledge to cope of what is asked of you.

Yeah mine too that,d be a nightmare!!

Don't take this the wrong way but you probably wont and that is the whole point, from experience you will spend the first couple of weeks with your head spinning while trying to decode what looks like hieroglyphics and feeling a little demoralized and the reason for that is you are joining a gang of lads who will probably have been working on the project for 10+ years. But this is the whole point of the experience so the best you can do is take a small bit at a time and just try and break it down into parts you can understand and then wash, rinse and repeat.

Edit: I'm not trying to piss on anyone's parade and demoralize ye but having said that if you get a good work placement, you will learn more in a month than you will learn in a semester in college. College and the work environment can feel like a world apart.

When do they plan on putting up the timetables? I'd like to know what the story with next week is.

Friday I think

• Advertisement

Friday I think

They are up now

Do you know what Software Testing is like?

I haven't done that module but from what I heard they cover theory on testing like white box (you see code) and black box testing (you test the program, no code). Think there is a group project built in where you look at different test tools like selenium (drives web browsers) or fitNesse (web run acceptance testing).

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gbro800

3rd year MM timetable looks good, at least better than what we had last year, no 6pm finishes, half day Monday, 11am finish Friday

Yeah fairly happy with it. Not much in the way of Multimedia related modules though :pac:

Interactive Web Media seems to be the MM module, not sure exactly what that's about tho... but yeah, that seems to be about all for MM

The actual lecturer for the Interactive Web Media is off judging by the time table because they are both listed as "cover", not bad in fairness though .

Wonder how many will be back ?

Hard to say really, i'd be fairly surprised if there were any more than 2 or 3 gone from our multimedia group.

Hard to say really, i'd be fairly surprised if there were any more than 2 or 3 gone from our multimedia group.

I know of 4 for definite out of group, there could be one or two more as well I suppose from SW that's mixed with some of our modules.

• Advertisement

AntiRip wrote: »
    I know of 4 for definite out of group, there could be one or two more as well I suppose from SW that's mixed with some of our modules.

Yeah i was thinking 4/5. some challenging looking stuff coming up.

Just read up on Interactive Web Media, it seems to be another Flash/Actionscript module, we'll have 2 assignments creating a dynamic interface for either a game or media player

gbro800 wrote: »
    Just read up on Interactive Web Media, it seems to be another Flash/Actionscript module, we'll have 2 assignments creating a dynamic interface for either a game or media player

Both technologies that are fairly rapidly becoming out-dated/obsolete ... we,d be better off learning HTML5

Yeah i was thinking 4/5. some challenging looking stuff coming up.

I'm dreading OOA, that Database module wont be much fun either.

I'm dreading OOA, that Database module wont be much fun either.
    OOAD :( hating it in advance

Both technologies that are fairly rapidly becoming out-dated/obsolete ... we,d be better off learning HTML5

That's true, we'd probably be better doing HTML5 with Javascript/JQuery as you can create really good dynamic/creative websites and content doing that now. Hopefully Flash will stand to us for some future replacement

That's true, we'd probably be better doing HTML5 with Javascript/JQuery as you can create really good dynamic/creative websites and content doing that now. Hopefully Flash will stand to us for some future replacement
    Yeah flash could still be useful for a while yet . HTML5 looks class seems very intuitive and definitely much easier to include media content. It's a shame we don,t do Javascript,JQuery,Php considering we are in the multimedia stream.

I wonder could they move the 2hr OOAD lecture we have on Friday? Try get a 4 day week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

What codes have ye learnt previously? That's a pity, javascript and php is handy to have.

I did the multimedia module as part of my course a few years ago and was mostly flash/photoshop/illustrator we used. I since did another course that would have done more programming languages than the course I did. Found it useful for doing code on the side though.

You think they do HTML5 though its very popular at the moment and most employers look for graduates with it. Have been caught out in interviews for not mentioning HTML5 as an example of new technology advancement of code etc.

Ya gimp is one replacement for photoshop while with flash there isn't much out there to replace it completely unless its a combination of different software programmes.

Though Java is the core programming language to know though. I found it hard to learn it compared to other programming languages I found web programming and operation systems languages easier to learn than software/application programming languages.

• Advertisement

I wonder could they move the 2hr OOAD lecture we have on Friday? Try get a 4 day week

I know of other courses where they changed the class Friday to another day so they could have all of Friday off. I suppose it would all the depend on the timetable and what labs are available, etc

doovdela wrote: »
    What codes have ye learnt previously? That's a pity, javascript and php is handy to have.

I did the multimedia module as part of my course a few years ago and was mostly flash/photoshop/illustrator we used. I since did another course that would have done more programming languages than the course I did. Found it useful for doing code on the side though.

You think they do HTML5 though its very popular at the moment and most employers look for graduates with it. Have been caught out in interviews for not mentioning HTML5 as an example of new technology advancement of code etc.

Ya gimp is one replacement for photoshop while with flash there isn't much out there to replace it completely unless its a combination of different software programmes.

Though Java is the core programming language to know though. I found it hard to learn it compared to other programming languages I found web programming and operation systems languages easier to learn than software/application programming languages.

We've done HTML in first year so I suppose there wouldn't be much in learning HTML5 but yeah its a pity about Js & php.
    Other languages we've covered... we did Just BASIC as an intro to programming and it's been nearly all Java since. Last semester we did a project using Visual Basic and used SQL to connect to the database. We also did some Action Script in Flash. I think this new semester we'll use C#

I reckon timetable is very provisional we seem to be in 2 places at one on a Thursday morning .

I know of other courses where they changed the class Friday to another day so they could have all of Friday off. I suppose it would all the depend on the timetable and what labs are available, etc

I think it's down to the co-operation of the lecturer and his free hours .. it'd be very nice though

I've a pounding headache already ...... does not bode well !

mine started yesterday.

• Advertisement

Do ye have the work placement thing tomorrow as well?

Do ye have the work placement thing tomorrow as well?

Yes at 11 I think

That really made my day when I found out that we were getting that extra treat of a module put on the timetable. Back 3 days and I'm actually looking forward to placement now if it means getting away from the place.

That really made my day when I found out that we were getting that extra treat of a module put on the timetable. Back 3 days and I'm actually looking forward to placement now if it means getting from the place.

It's looking like a long tough haul to Christmas alright

Yeah, a 12 week epic ****ing adventure in microsoft word.

• Advertisement

Yeah, a 12 week epic ****ing adventure in microsoft word.

Did you do Intro To Database Programming last year? The project seems like a right cluster****

yeah, group projects (in general) are going to suck, doesn't matter how much sugar you spread on top, I reckon its part of a cruel joke rather than a life lesson at this stage. You get the groups (rarely) that work together and more commonly you get the groups where one poor son of a bitch ends up doing most of the work.

Anyway for DBproj, one of the best tips I got for the project is put effort into the documentation, even if the implementation sucks the documentation might save you. The first part of the project cracked me up trying to design the database, I HATE database design and I have no shame in admitting that fact. The second part wasn't too bad for me anyway, you will probably find out at this stage how **** your design is when you try to implement it and get triggers to work. The final part was my favourite with the programming part to connect to the database. Again loads of documentation along the way should help with marks, also try and use project tools like google docs or trello for managing the project and document this as well.

We were shown the documentation today in class, seems like an absolute mountain of work to get through.

y81s.png

AntiRip wrote: »
    xyp1.png

I really really really have no idea what the f*** it's about !

I watched one of those videos on virtual academy, I really struggled to see any purpose to it.

I watched one of those videos on virtual academy, I really struggled to see any purpose to it.

I watched or attempted to watch too .. pointless exercise. I know we need to learn a bit ourselves but we definitly need more guidance and structure to the course. It's like the assignment for next Friday ... we know bugger all about the subject but can obviously go through a whole development and testing process!!

Total nonsense.

I watched or attempted to watch too .. pointless exercise. I know we need to learn a bit ourselves but we definitly need more guidance and structure to the course. It's like the assignment for next Friday ... we know bugger all about the subject but can obviously go through a whole development and testing process!!

Total nonsense.

Very true. Trying to cover everything here now today. Just realising I totally forgot about Databases. It's all thrown at you at once.

Updated the picture for you ;)

I went into college today like a boss to do some java, found monday's labsheet fairly difficult. Anything I search online for it ends up being something completley beyond our station. Gave up on that and did some of that virutal academy stuff, had to give up on that too. Just about sums up the way 3rd year is going so far for me.

I went into college today like a boss to do some java, found monday's labsheet fairly difficult. Anything I search online for it ends up being something completley beyond our station. Gave up on that and did some of that virutal academy stuff, had to give up on that too. Just about sums up the way 3rd year is going so far for me.

Trust me, you're not alone. It's some step up delivery wise. If it was delivered the same way as the last 2 years it mightn't be as bad.

This post was very informative way way back in the thread. Maybe worth a read again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79351883&postcount=372

• Advertisement
Advertisement