Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killer Instinct Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'll watch that later when I get the chance. As fart as new stages go though, of it's not one where you can push your opponent off the edge during your Ultra then I really couldn't care what goes on behind the fights.

first footage of Glacius and his stage. awesome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

How can you look at that glacius model and say this game is good?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Ramza wrote: »
    This. So much ****ing this.

Glacius looks god damn awesome in KI1+2. What the hell is this ****?

Sairus wrote: »
    This. So much ****ing this.

Glacius looks god damn awesome in KI1+2. What the hell is this ****?

in fairness, you can't judge a game (especially a fighting game) on its looks alone. it would be unfair to bash SF4 due to the "chunky" character models since we all know the game may be the best made fighter in the last 10 years. i personally hate how the character models look in the game.
    i guess i'm a part of the minority here but i do like the updated looks of the classic characters in the game so far. im not saying i prefer them over the old looks.

what i do like about this new design is the fact they made him bigger than the average character. this would mean hitboxes on him will be different unlike the classic games where all the fighters were the same size meaning you didnt have to adjust your combos on specific fighters (such as in SF4 and Marvel). i also like how he still has his classic moves such as the shoulder charge and the rising uppercut but now has new moves that would put him in the category of a zoning character. in the classic game everyone was a rush down character. if you tried to zone you would get a windkick to the face from full screen resulting in big damage.

im a fan of the KI 1 myself but i do appreciate what they are trying to do with the game. anyway, from reviews by people who played the game (not just Max alone) they seemed pretty excited from their time playing it. all we can do now is just wait and see how things turn out.

2gen wrote: »
    it would be unfair to bash SF4 due to the "chunky" character models since we all know the game may be the best made fighter in the last 10 years.

all the fighters were the same size meaning you didnt have to adjust your combos on specific fighters

in the classic game everyone was a rush down character. if you tried to zone you would get a windkick to the face from full screen resulting in big damage.

Yeah, but at least SF4 keeps the integral character design and doesn't **** with it, Glacius looks nothing like he does in KI1 or 2. Like, nothing. If they're gonna make such drastic changes like that, they should change the game name cause the end result wont be KI (by the looks of it now, it's looking that way)

That's not true ? In no SF game or any FG to my knowledge are all hitboxes the same for every char

Actually, it's the direct opposite. In the classic game, everyone was a turtle, in med-high level play. There was 0 rushdown, or very little. You had to zone. And be patient and calculated. You couldn't jump in on someone or you would be AA into a ground mixup for half your health. There was no safe go to specials or any moves to assist your offence. You had to rely on barebone strats. High level KI is ANTI RUSHDOWN, like, extremely, combo breakers are eliminated from the game, people used unbreakable combos that start off lows/pokes, so the game was very footsie/zone heavy. No one did reckless rush down stuff or full screen windkicks The high level KI metagame eliminates so many mechanics, no one does linkers/auto doubles, no breakers, rarely any fireballs, just footsies and inbreakable combos and overheads.

In fact, glacius was the biggest turtle in the game. He is ridiculously good, has insane stun, and one of the best unbreakables and pokes in the game. He's the least rush orientated char in the game. High level KI was rly ****ed up that way, orchid/cinder/glacius/combo dominated that game.

I think the new game looks odd. The mechanics are odd. The breaker system is ridiculous. The combos are stupid. Chars look silly and SPARKS. Damn this game is ugly

Even so the game looks ass. Mechanic wise mainly. Gonna be a **** flop, watch this space

alright. i've never seen high level play before and also when i played the game i was like 9/10 so i didnt play it competitively. so i was just recalling my own memories of the game.

anyway, i don't feel its necessary to worry too much about the characters's looks since im sure they will do DLC alt costumes like how NRS did it for MK9 (all the ninjas getting their retro MK1/MK2 looks).

all i have to say is dont loose all hope until you try it out when the game is released... that is if you're willing to.

It's late. I'm tired and all fightered out after watching the MK Evo tourney, so I haven't really read the last few posts. Quick question though- who swapped KI's walking freezer-bag for one of Resident's Evil 5's Regenerators while I wasn't looking?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lol, Michael Baycius!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

first footage of Glacius and his stage. awesome stuff.

That's sabrewolf ultra was fair class though.

Gametrailers had a bit of a walkthrough the on the abomination formerly known as Glacius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I agree with Ramza, this game will fail.
    Reason is right in the thread title.

:pac:

He looks like he'll be really impressive. His reach is serious!

Despite my hatred of his actual visual design, I like the direction they went with Glacius' gameplay. I also like how he has massive amounts of ice sparks instead of energy sparks like Jago has. All his ice stuff in general actually looks great... his new character design really is terrible though :/

However, I'm curious to see how they balance full screen unblockables with full screen combos.

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to this announcement tonight. Placing bets with myself over who it will be. I still reckon it will be Orchid or one of the other humans though.

So it's Chief Thunder. He wasn't actually shown though, just a quick video of one of his axes hitting a tree.

That gameplay demo was something else though, in my oppinion. I really want to play thing. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun. The "counter breaker" is a fantastic idea.

Counter Breaker is a good idea, but I think that demo actually turned more people off the game than impressed them. That was a really really bad demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Sairus wrote: »
    Counter Breaker is a good idea, but I think that demo actually turned more people off the game than impressed them. That was a really really bad demo.

Yeah, I honestly C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER can't see this C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER game catching on. Very C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER little flow to C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER the gameplay. I C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER think it'll turn C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER out exactly how C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER Ramza described KI1+2.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

MarkMan and Filthy Rich getting booed into silence at the start of the presentation says it all really, Id love to have the game but Im not paying €500 for it. If they release a graphically scaled down version on the 360 that plays the same (like the 3DS version of SSF4) ill buy it in a heart beat.

• Advertisement

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/14/killer-instinct-character-profiles

Character Profiles presented at 720p 60fps for those who are interested.
    J0hnick wrote: »
    MarkMan and Filthy Rich getting booed into silence at the start of the presentation says it all really, Id love to have the game but Im not paying €500 for it. If they release a graphically scaled down version on the 360 that plays the same (like the 3DS version of SSF4) ill buy it in a heart beat.

yea man, even though i would love to see this game do well i doubt it will happen due to all the XBox One f*** ups and people still believing that the game is Digital purchase only and ftp but all characters needed to be bought separately enforcing the anger of already upset gamers towards MS thinking its another one of their money grabbing scams.

ive already seen soooo many vids on Youtube by people who are saying KI will be **** cause people were booing it at Evo, thus spreading negativity. such a shame... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Game just keeps getting more poo

This game is destined to flop

This game is destined to flop

Seems to be the repeated (to a point of annoyance) theme within this thread alright. Personally, I think out looks like a bit of craic. I'm not saying it'll be the next SF IV, but it does look like entertainment. I found all the fights I've seen so far have really made me want to play it, and I'm interested in seeing what twists they put on the rest of the cast.

However, just like had been mentioned already, I'll probably never get the chance to play it, as I entirely disagrees with all of Microsoft's recent shenanigans. This disappoints me greatly as I'm a big fan of the original.

Don't get me wrong it looks pretty fun but I mean competitively this game is gonna go nowhere. I have that feeling for some reason, just judging from what I see and past KIs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

deathrider wrote: »
    Seems to be the repeated (to a point of annoyance)

If I remember correctly it was exactly the same thing for Injustice, and everyone immediately shut up after it was released because they liked it.

No-ones opinion before they get their hands on the final product is going to count for much.

Don't get me wrong it looks pretty fun but I mean competitively this game is gonna go nowhere. I have that feeling for some reason, just judging from what I see and past KIs etc

The same was said about the latest MK because of it's rickety history, yet it mananged to prove most folks wrong. It's also been about 15 years since the last Killer Instinct, so it's kinda hard to judge it that way. I reckon, if anything, it's this free-to-play business model that's going to ruin the competitive side of KI. Even if it's well balanced, this will provide it with a serious uphill struggle.

Full Killer Instinct Panel at Evo 2013

http://www.twitch.tv/madcatz/b/432597671

Stream Footage from San Diego Comic Con 2013 by MadCatz.

Max vs FilthieRich FT3 that starts at the 21min mark is a pretty sick set worth watching (IMO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

What are they playing it on?

• Advertisement

Media999 wrote: »
    What are they playing it on?

im pretty sure they are playing this current build on a PC but the game will be released on the Xbox One exclusively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Great game alright but still think the xbone is a heap of ****e.

After watching a lot of videos, here's my current view on the game right now, not that it matters :pac:

Combo Breakers, even though they are an integral part of KI, are ironically going to ruin/downgrade the metagame of the game, the same way they did in KI1/KI2. No one wants their combo broken, and the longer you go in a combo, the higher risk you run of it being broken. High level KI revolved around people being very turtley and using short, unbreakable combos. This took away from the game in so many ways. I have no idea how this will equate in this iteration of KI, but, it will have the same effect I think. People will find unbreakables. If not, they will keep combos short with manual doubles. But, this will result in very little damage. It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out. Going for longer combos in a set with an opponent is riskier especially because we haven't seen that high of a level of this game yet, I am going to go ahead and say high level is going to revolve around reacting to auto doubles/linkers for easy breakers, thus tieing in with my point that people are going to keep combos short/unbreakable in some way

I think Lockout is a fantastic mechanic, I can see people just doing heavies during lockouts and then ender, and not risking a chance for the opponent to break their combo. Like I said before, if the combos end up being short/unbreakable in some way, we wont see a lot of this mechanic at all

Shadow breakers right now are RIDICULOUS. You can break a shadow move with 0 effort and 0 cost. That is totally imbalanced as of right now. Your opponent spends a meter on a shadow move to punish/capitalise on a mistake your make, and you can break it for free. It costs nothing. You have to tap LP+LK three times I believe in rhythm of your opponents shadow hits, to break it. This is insanely imbalanced. My take on it is that, it should cost instinct meter to break a shadow move. It shouldn't cost super meter. This adds more depth and fairness to the metagame, should you save your instinct and try to break the followup combo after the shadow move? Should you use instinct for breaking shadow moves thus, saving yourself a lot of damage, at the cost of your instinct? It would be a great addition to the game (obviously split the instinct bar in two like the super meter, for this)

Counter breakers are well..pretty good as far as I can see. The mechanics seem a little odd right now, it's hard to call how the game will pan out. If like I said before, the game doesn't revolve around high combo numbers, this mechanic becomes invalid. But this actually looks to be a pretty good mechanic. The only thing is, you should be vulnerable for longer after a failed counter breaker, right now, it seems as though you aren't vulnerable for that long. Lockout should last much longer after a successful counter breaker too, risk reward needs looking at for this mechanic.

Other things IMO that need addressing, Jago's health recovers too fast in instinct, glacius' shatter is a bit ridiculous :o, damage needs to be brought up, that's my two cents for now I guess

Shadow breakers right now are RIDICULOUS. You can break a shadow move with 0 effort and 0 cost. That is totally imbalanced as of right now. Your opponent spends a meter on a shadow move to punish/capitalise on a mistake your make, and you can break it for free. It costs nothing. You have to tap LP+LK three times I believe in rhythm of your opponents shadow hits, to break it. This is insanely imbalanced. My take on it is that, it should cost instinct meter to break a shadow move. It shouldn't cost super meter. This adds more depth and fairness to the metagame, should you save your instinct and try to break the followup combo after the shadow move? Should you use instinct for breaking shadow moves thus, saving yourself a lot of damage, at the cost of your instinct? It would be a great addition to the game (obviously split the instinct bar in two like the super meter, for this)

Other things IMO that need addressing, Jago's health recovers too fast in instinct, glacius' shatter is a bit ridiculous :o, damage needs to be brought up, that's my two cents for now I guess

i agree. they can easily tone down Jago's health regain so im not to worried about that.

i like how Ken and DH's goal for the game is to make it so that you're always playing and never "watching a movie" (like in marvel at times) but when i found out about the Shadow breakers i thought "WTF"!. i feel that if you spent shadow meter, you deserve to get the damage. according to one of Max's vids, its not that easy to pull off... but we all know what may seem tough at first, ppl will eventually be able to do it regularly later on in the games life span. hopefully it isnt too powerful. it does somewhat remind me of parries in Third Strike though.

i'm not a fanboy or anything for Max, but these vids are pretty good in explaining the mechanics for those who aren't quite sure whats going on.

also this next vid is just the Youtube version of the stream link i previously posted from MadCatz.

finally, im loving the music from Mick Gordon... this is just a sample from PAX Australia 2013.

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/exclusive-killer-instinct-xbox-one-music-suite/

just another music sample for those who might be interested.

KI at Super Arcade.

Lol look how ridiculously broken he looks, does game balance ever enter their heads at all when designing this ****?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Honda joins the cast

Lol look how ridiculously broken he looks, does game balance ever enter their heads at all when designing this ****?

facepalm_227785.jpg

Ramza, if you don't have anything constructive to say.... best not to say anything at all. Not saying you have to like this game, but the constant bitching is getting annoying... no offence.

Ramza, if you don't have anything constructive to say.... best not to say anything at all. Not saying you have to like this game, but the constant bitching is getting annoying... no offence.

head-crushing-fight.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

look at the godlike head stomping from that skinny t hawk

Damn, I can't watch this on my phone. I've been doing to see what they've done with Chief Thunder. I'll give this video a spin tomorrow.

facepalm_227785.jpg

How is that a facepalm what I said :confused:

What I said was very constructive :pac:

I haven't bitched at this game at all, I've been critical and pointed out flaws, but I am not being facetious, I am being serious in what I say. IMO it's fate is pretty much already sealed in the fact that it's an xbox one exclusive. In fact I wrote a pretty long post giving my two cents on the game mechanics and overall it doesn't look too bad, it's just that KI's mechanics never allowed for high level gameplay. That's why high level KI revolved around working around the mechanics themselves. KI has never been a competitive game because of its nature. I dunno, I just don't want this game to follow suit I guess. But let's be serious, if I sat down one of these developers I would FLATOUT say what I just did, and I would very much mean it constructively. Like, I can't fathom how they think this character design along with Glacius is balanced.

Are you not one to agree with criticism? Isn't that what criticism is? Yknow..being critical? Obviously nothing critical is going on in these guys heads. That's how games get balanced. People play/see and then tell developers whats wrong. Me and countless other people are doing it right now, in fact I've talked to a few of the old KI vets I still talk to personally and a lot are just meh, a famous player called KIG I talked to recently said "this game looks like it could be played with two buttons, it's two japanese styled, that's not what KI is", and in a way, he has a point. But I suppose the developers wanted to developed it in this style, and that doesn't bother me. I just don't understand what's with the messed up character designs. Like, that was an integral reason why KI failed in the first place, the characters were so messed up

Glacius has an unblockable special that hits from underneath you, cost no meter, and is quick, can be done fullscreen....like, need I say any more? THIS kind of thing should not be in a fighting game. Like, we're only 4 characters deep, and madness is ensuing :pac: It's like to me they're saying "yeah, all the previous KIs were broken as ****, had stupid ****, and had no high level metagame outside of working around the mechanics themselves, let's make another ****ed up broken game that no one will play", that's what it looks like to me when I see this game. It's got stuff going for it, but this whack character design needs to stop, seems like an emerging trend with this game

There's no EASY way to say this

• Advertisement

Speaking of character designs, at least from a visual point Thunder looks pretty damn badass.

Fully invincible special cancelable dash during Instinct is pretty hilarious though.

It's definitely weird the way they're going about this. It feels like they want you to be starting combos all the time and have given every character insane offensive options to do that. They've also given so many methods of breaking and counter breaking so it's like they want to have the entire match take place within that combo/breaker situation.

Thunder looks amazing aesthetically, I wish the same could be said for Glacius. It is very obscure, the system mechanics seem like they contradict each other, I can't think of how to explain it. They could definitely make this game great if they make some changes

How is that a facepalm what I said :confused:

What I said was very constructive :pac:

I haven't bitched at this game at all, I've been critical and pointed out flaws, but I am not being facetious, I am being serious in what I say. IMO it's fate is pretty much already sealed in the fact that it's an xbox one exclusive. In fact I wrote a pretty long post giving my two cents on the game mechanics and overall it doesn't look too bad, it's just that KI's mechanics never allowed for high level gameplay. That's why high level KI revolved around working around the mechanics themselves. KI has never been a competitive game because of its nature. I dunno, I just don't want this game to follow suit I guess. But let's be serious, if I sat down one of these developers I would FLATOUT say what I just did, and I would very much mean it constructively. Like, I can't fathom how they think this character design along with Glacius is balanced.

Are you not one to agree with criticism? Isn't that what criticism is? Yknow..being critical? Obviously nothing critical is going on in these guys heads. That's how games get balanced. People play/see and then tell developers whats wrong. Me and countless other people are doing it right now, in fact I've talked to a few of the old KI vets I still talk to personally and a lot are just meh, a famous player called KIG I talked to recently said "this game looks like it could be played with two buttons, it's two japanese styled, that's not what KI is", and in a way, he has a point. But I suppose the developers wanted to developed it in this style, and that doesn't bother me. I just don't understand what's with the messed up character designs. Like, that was an integral reason why KI failed in the first place, the characters were so messed up

Glacius has an unblockable special that hits from underneath you, cost no meter, and is quick, can be done fullscreen....like, need I say any more? THIS kind of thing should not be in a fighting game. Like, we're only 4 characters deep, and madness is ensuing :pac: It's like to me they're saying "yeah, all the previous KIs were broken as ****, had stupid ****, and had no high level metagame outside of working around the mechanics themselves, let's make another ****ed up broken game that no one will play", that's what it looks like to me when I see this game. It's got stuff going for it, but this whack character design needs to stop, seems like an emerging trend with this game

There's no EASY way to say this

I agree

Some of the mechanics sound flat out retarded, full screen unblockable, seriously

We'll see how this 1v1 marvel pans out I guess, I hope it's merely exaggeration with the potential of charcters in this, given that theres less then 6, an unbalanced game lacking quantity of characters is forboding to say the least.

So long as it's fun what the big deal, right?.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To be fair Ben, I think most people's eyebrows were raised with the fullscreen comboable unblockable low projectile from Glacius, but an invincible special cancellable dash does sound absolutely mental, even if it can only be used 10% of the time or whatever. It's like the stuff you see on saltybet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I actually agree with Ben's sentiment. I'm not really interested in opinions based off of gameplay footage (which doesn't let you know if it's fun) or opinions based on second-hand accounts of other players.

As soon as somebody here puts their hands on the game, by all means, tell us what you think.

But until then this is reminding me of Injustice, where everyone had nothing but bad things to say about every aspect of the gameplay and aesthetics.

Then as soon as the game came out, the bitching stopped so fast it was like it never happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement