Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Boskowski wrote: »
    yes it is.

Funny this thread of all things actually brought it right back into my mind that I'm like stankratz, I want to give them up but 'not just now'. ah feck I said and haven't smoked one since that last post last night. feels quite good actually :pac:

Well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I grew up in a house where my parents smoked, most of the people who came to visit smoked as well and I remember as a kid the kitchen full of smoke from the people there puffing away.

This now would have been 30+ years ago, and I'm not having a go at them, it was normal then.

Thankfully these days if a person visits a house and they are a smoker the majority of people would go outside for a fag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Sorry but anyone can die at anytime. Think about you dying in a car crash tomorrow would do to the people who care about you. You'd be more likely to die in a plane crash then the probability of just me dying in 3 years time due to smoking.
    Ah here. Between this and the "Smoking when pregnant" thread, there are some... eh... "interesting" analogies. :pac:
    How can you compare a rare accident with choosing to harm yourself regularly?

I'm not a lecturer to smokers (and have smoked myself) but I just don't see the point in some of the denial here.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AZTEC818

For any of you out there who would like to quit smoking with ease,
    i cannot recommend highly enough ......

Allen Carr's magnificent book (no, not the chat show guy)
    "The Only Way to Quit Smoking Permanently"

I smoked from my about my late teens to mid forties and in between had tried
    quiting by will power, nicotine patches, chewing gum and countless other methods, but all to no avail.

After I read this book and followed all its instructions fully, i was able to stop with absoloutly no frustration whatsoever. I can also be around other smokers not be bothered one jott.

In the book he teaches you how the physical addiction to nicotine lasts for only a few days after stopping smoking, but the psycological addiction is where the vast majority people fall by the way side after an attempt.
    He basically trains you how to not be afraid of becoming a NON smoker.

It works best if you do not quit smoking WHILE reading the book, but only after you have read it, fully understand its principals, and have selected your quite date.

I'm fairly sure the book is available at public libraries also.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I can't bear to watch it, it makes me feel sick to my stomach. My dad died from cancer recently and just that mans face, the cheekbones, the yellow tinge on his skin, just that look about him makes me feel completely sick.

I don't understand how people can keep smoking when that's how you could end up, struggling for breath, gasping to take your last breath, fighting fighting fighting against something you'll never beat.

My brother still smokes even after watching how my dad died and I just don't understand how he can. I guess everything affects people differently

My answer to that ( as a smoker ) is that when you start smoking young ( most do ) negetive effects of smoking on the skin and teeth/gums don't become visible for a good few years after you've started by which time you are well and truly hooked. So I think mentally young smokers fool themselves into thinking that they are somehow magically immune. 15 years later when the gums start to receed and fascial skin starts to sag and you really look like a smoker you realise your not immune and will find it very difficult to give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am watching the RTE news and in the ad brake the anti smoking ad came on, you know the own...Jerry tells us how he is dying of cancer cause by smoking, you see him with his family and he says he wished he had never smoked at the end it tells you he has died.

Do you think it make anyone give up smoking. I have never smoked and don't allow anyone to smoke in my house.

Adverts are no where near as good as death for making smokers give up. The LONG, SLOW death that occurs from cancer, or COPD, or one of the many other terrible conditions that afflict smokers.

Unfortunately, like every other addict, they make excuse upon excuse until it's far too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

padd b1975 wrote: »
    This is what I constantly fail to understand.

How anyone under the age of 30 basically can ignore the well publicised health dangers, anti social aspect, bad breath etc etc and start this disgusting habit which isn't exactly in the 'one hit and your addicted' bracket.

You would have to admit it takes a certain level of stupidity to do this.

You just answered your own conundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

smoking bad m'kay

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

RayM wrote: »
    My mum saw her 46-year-old brother die from lung cancer, but it wasn't enough to make her succeed in quitting. She died two years ago, also from lung cancer. It's not like she didn't try to give up. Over the years, she must have spent thousands on various different methods, from nicotine patches to hypnosis to laser therapy. Her addiction was just uncontrollably strong. She could quit for lengthy periods, but the craving never seemed to abate. Not even slightly. If e-cigarettes had been available twenty or thirty years ago, maybe she'd still be around today.

So I have a lot of sympathy for smokers. I've never smoked, but I think I have at least some idea of how difficult it can be to quit.

Lung cancer is a devastating illness, and nothing like I ever imagined it to be. I had always assumed that the main side-effect was a really bad cough. Throughout my mum's illness, I don't think I heard her coughing at all. The metastasis was the worst part. The awful pain when the cancer spreads to the bones - pain that even the strongest painkillers couldn't alleviate.

When the cancer spread to my mum's brain, I had to arrange her medication (over 25 tablets per day) and take note of whatever painkillers she took - especially for 'breakthrough pain'. Gradually, the tablets got stronger and stronger - Tramadol, OxyNorm, OxyContin, Effentora... She had an incredibly strong pain threshold, so it was quite shocking to see her in such agony.

The direct side-effects of the cancer in her brain were disturbing too. She could no longer remember people's names. Her balance and eyesight started to go. Her ability to speak was deteriorating. It's like having someone - a relatively young person - develop dementia really quickly right before your eyes.

I think those adverts are effective, but I'd like to see an anti-smoking advert that deals with all the lesser-known symptoms of smoking-related illnesses, and the effect they have on those who have to watch a person whom they love slowly fading away.
    You, sitting in front of a camera, saying these words, would be a fantastic anti-smoking advertisement.

Sorry for your losses.

Advertisement