Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking

Options
  • 22-07-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭

I am watching the RTE news and in the ad brake the anti smoking ad came on, you know the own...Jerry tells us how he is dying of cancer cause by smoking, you see him with his family and he says he wished he had never smoked at the end it tells you he has died.

Do you think it make anyone give up smoking. I have never smoked and don't allow anyone to smoke in my house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am sure it has made people stop.
    Am sure it hasnt made people stop.

Alot of smokers out there. But being honest... who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,851 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Am sure it has made people stop.
    Am sure it hasnt made people stop.

Alot of smokers out there. But being honest... who cares?

I do. Gerry was my neighbour.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I do. Gerry was my neighbour.

"who cares" as in who cares if the advert has done its job or not. Not the individual dying, Which is sad.

Please dont twist my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I for one think if it works its great... I do think that one will have an impact and work to some extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

75% of all smokers will die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

If them ads only stopped 1 in 100 people it cant be no bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

wazky wrote: »

100% of all non smokers will die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

100% of all non smokers will die!

I'll take my chances having an oul fag so!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

100% of non smokers will die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

That stat makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I gave up about 5 or 6 years ago due the the ex giving out about the smell which was fair enough. I'm glad I listened to her!!

I'm not sure if the ads or the pics on cigarette packets make much of a difference or if anyone takes notice. I suppose if even a few did it'd be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am watching the RTE news and in the ad brake the anti smoking ad came on, you know the own...Jerry tells us how his dying of cancer cause by smoking, you see him with his family and he says he wised he had never smoked at the end it tells you he has died.

Do you think it make anyone give up smoking. I have never smoked and don't allow anyone to smoke in my house.
    I can't bear to watch it, it makes me feel sick to my stomach. My dad died from cancer recently and just that mans face, the cheekbones, the yellow tinge on his skin, just that look about him makes me feel completely sick.

I don't understand how people can keep smoking when that's how you could end up, struggling for breath, gasping to take your last breath, fighting fighting fighting against something you'll never beat.

My brother still smokes even after watching how my dad died and I just don't understand how he can. I guess everything affects people differently

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

kneemos wrote: »
    100% of non smokers will die.

Aaaaa!

If having family members die of lung cancer didn't make me quit then some stranger on telly ain't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

The other 25% will live forever

If having family members die of lung cancer didn't make me quit then some stranger on telly ain't either.

I'd like to think that if I did still smoke, a family member dying would definitely get me off them.

Is the addiction that bad? Are you not worried about the consequences or do you just not care? Genuine question, I don't understand the reasoning behind it but I'd like to try

I smoke, and out of all the ads and images over the years I've seen to put people off smoking, the ad featuring Jerry is the one which makes me realise that quitting is something I need to much sooner rather than a bit later.

R.I.P. Jerry

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It certainly was a hard hitting campaign, and I'm sure it makes people think about their health, but unfortunately, like the graphic pictures on the packets, the first time you see them, you think oh my gawd. But then after a few times you dont notice them.

This coming from a none smoker. But if it makes one or two stop, it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I'm sure it has worked. My Father asking me to give up after finding cancer in his lung last year made me stop, He gave up 20 year prior. i'm 239 days now without a smoke feeling great. Father's doing great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'd like to think that if I did still smoke, a family member dying would definitely get me off them.

Is the addiction that bad? Are you not worried about the consequences or do you just not care? Genuine question, I don't understand the reasoning behind it but I'd like to try
    It's that bad of an addiction. One of my family members also died of lung cancer and I still smoke. It's up there with heroin and crack in terms of addiction.

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Little from column A, Little from column B. Family members dying from strokes and heart attacks hasn't made me quit eating bacon or drinking alcohol either.

I quit for about 9 months before and didn't find it too bad, just slipped back into old habits. Have had a few things on recently and am trying to get them straightened out before the smoking. Takes a year to lose a load of weight, only takes a second to quit smoking. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

What happens the other 25%?

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    It's that bad of an addiction. One of my family members also died of lung cancer and I still smoke. It's up there with heroin and crack in terms of addiction.

I don't buy that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I switched to vaping, not because of that ad but around the same time it came out. People (usually normal-cigarette smoking people) love to tell me how much worse vaping is for you than smokes, it's annoying. I feel great having switched and haven't had a sore throat or shortness of breath since switching and there's no smell.

I can't understand why everyone hasn't switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I don't buy that tbh.
    It is what it is. Believe what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

stankratz wrote: »
    I smoke, and out of all the ads and images over the years I've seen to put people off smoking, the ad featuring Jerry is the one which makes me realise that quitting is something I need to much sooner rather than a bit later.

R.I.P. Jerry

ah the old 'not just right now' :D

Btw I'm smoking myself so this is only a friendly dig, in fact I have said the same to myself a few times. Have I quit, no.

All these measures with the grizzly pics on the boxes and the telling you how bad it is and that ad and so on are ridiculous. These things do not get people of the fags. All they do is ruin people's evenings. They all seem to be made by non-smokers who don't understand smokers and smoking.

Having said, they may stop a few people from taking it up fair enough.

I understand it's hard but loads of people get off them... How hard can it be? I gave them up, my mother gave them up after 20 odd years or more of smoking. My Grandad gave up after 50 odd years of smoking. I know loads who have given up, I don't understand why others can't.

I do know someone who every so often says they want to give up but when it comes to it she says she enjoys it so she stays on them.

My opinion is, whether right or wrong, that if you smoke it's because deep down you want to or somehow enjoy it. If someone genuinely wanted to give up, they would, there's plenty of help out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I switched to vaping, not because of that ad but around the same time it came out. People (usually normal-cigarette smoking people) love to tell me how much worse vaping is for you than smokes, it's annoying. I feel great having switched and haven't had a sore throat or shortness of breath since switching and there's no smell.

I can't understand why everyone hasn't switched.

I find it hilarious, "Do you know what kind of dangerous chemicals vaping puts into your body?"

Because someone should listen to a smoker about the problems of putting chemicals into your body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

"who cares" as in who cares if the advert has done its job or not.
    People are bound to care about such a thing. Maybe you're mixing up the fact that you personally don't care with everyone else not caring?
    It is what it is. Believe what you want.
    I know cigarettes are extremely addictive but it's not like the lack of them gets people into the same state that heroin/crack do.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I gave up around Jan of this year, not sure it was his ad but I've no cravings at all.
    Lots of my friends who smoked in their 20's & 30's have all given up.
    You couldn't justify a 70 quid a week habit when the recession started.
    I can see smoking becoming more & more a fringe activity in the future.

Advertisement