Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

you cant expect to walk in and get the cushy jobs coz you have a few letters after your name

That'd be ok if I was even going after cushy jobs. I'd be perfectly happy with a minimum wage job but more and more of them are now internships. I have a degree, so surely I don't need to go on a 9 month internship to attain the skill of "answering telephones" (I'm not even making that up).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

for the same job in the same company ?
    If so that's a disgusting abuse of the system and possibly grounds for legal action I would think ??
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    I thought with Jobbridge you can't do the scheme if you've already worked with the company before.

Same job.

Was let go and then returned a few months later. Insider with access to payroll told me it was an intern scheme, I assume Jobbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Niece wrote: »
    Boyfriend finished up his contract in a well known supermarket because 'there was no more work'

The next week, a load of people started on jobbridge

I hate Jobbridge
    Name them, they deserve the bad publicity.

I can't speak for The Niece but it's been posted many times on boards that Tesco and Supervalue use jobbridge if you want examples

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Conference & Banqueting Porter
    « Previous | Next » Back to Search Results Intern Eligibility Follow us on Twitter Print this Page
    Created on: 02/07/2013 | Updated on: 05/07/2013 | Displayed until 05/09/2013 60 days from now

Based in MULLINGAR Ref. INTE-773558
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in: Working as part of the Conference & Banqueting team which will include conferences, weddings and hotel functions. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: Setting up meeting rooms, function rooms, food & beverage service and delivering excellent customer care. On completion the intern will have attained skills in: Porter duties, customer care skills and an all round knowledge of the hospitality industry.

Skills Requirements
    Have excellent attention to detail; be passionate about delivering excellent customer care; have good communication skills; be willing to work shift work (both mornings and evenings); be willing to work as part of a team.

In other words, a dog's body in a f*cking hotel. I did that job in university and it paid minimum wage in a highly exploitative environment. Why are the state subsidising unskilled minimum-wage jobs? In effect, this scheme has removed a paying job for someone as this hotel will now just use free labour instead and the state picks up the tab. Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

There is also the problem that some businesses can now undercut competition that is paying real wages e.g. one cafe could drop prices if they have a Jobridge intern instead of a normal employee... how can the cafe down the street compete? The only way would be to decrease wages or hire get a jobridge intern of their own and get rid of a real employee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

hfallada wrote: »
    You need to remember there isnt a single proper business person in the dail ( at bar or a shop keeper doesnt count). You cant seriously except some one who is only qualified to teach some ****ty LC subject to have a logically idea to solve unemployment. Like members of the dail put their friends as directors of semi state companies and then people question why it is losing money.

It makes me laugh when people call for wealthy businessmen to be the ones calling the shots as opposed to a teacher or god-forbid, an ordinary working person. The class of people who are directly benefiting from this free labour nonsense are they type of people you describe above. In many cases it is large conglomerates like Tescos and SuperValu who are directly profiting. In Britain, half of Cameron's cabinet are millionaires and we are seeing a massive disparity in wealth between those at the top and those at the bottom.

Why people expect the rich to govern in the interests of the rest of us is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Jobbridge has been a success for me personally, and the company I now work for - I gained a lot of experience in a new field and secured a job within the same company. The guy I work with was hired that same way, and we are advertising for a new intern at the moment (with the idea of a full time job at the end for them).

For all the bad examples, and there are MANY, keep in mind there are success stories and it can work well for both parties when employers don't take the piss.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

As far as I know nobody is being forced to do it and you can leave at any time with one weeks notice. If people stop taking them they'll go away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think you'll find that people are coerced by the Dept of Social Protection or face reduced or no payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

snubbleste wrote: »
    I think you'll find that people are coerced by the Dept of Social Protection or face reduced or no payment.

Not true, in my experience - I was out of work for 4 years and never experienced anything like that.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

snubbleste wrote: »

I've never heard of that. I took one up, after a week I realised it was not what I was told. I contacted the welfare office and the lady I spoke to said it was completely voluntary and I can leave at any time with a weeks notice. She then went on to tell me that you are entitled to 14 sick days and to just take them for the remaining week.

No pressure to stay in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    As far as I know nobody is being forced to do it and you can leave at any time with one weeks notice. If people stop taking them they'll go away.

Speaking from experience, people resort to them out of desperation from a job. Or just for the sake of saying you're doing something when your family asks, instead of the constant embarrassment of 'Still looking for a job..'

It's wrong on a lot of levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Age profile of participants: 45-55 = 1,446 55+ = 392, 10% of participants are over 45??
    http://www.jobbridge.ie/toolkit/JobBridgeData.pdf

JobBridge, the National Internship Scheme

Even the official figures show what a scam this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just looking on the Fas.ie website for Office Administrator jobs. 'Job only' yielded 5 positions (one of which requires fluent Chinese). 'Internship' yielded 23 positions. I've been in admin for more than 10 years, there is no-one, unless they're entering a field like Legal Secretary, who needs a 9 month internship to be an administrator.

I'm fit to weep at this stage, I really am.

ETA: I'm also fit to start mailing faeces to the people responsible for this catastrophe. Who should I address it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

The Government has launched a new job scheme today (JobsPlus). I wonder will they advertise alongside JobBridge.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-to-launch-jobsplus-employment-scheme-today-599776.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

FFS, why doesn't the government just pay everybody's wages and then all the employers can just sit back on sacks full of money and laugh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This time last year I worked in a small place, with one other full time girl and a part time boss. My working hours were completely erratic, some days I would be called into work but sent home after 3 hours, or sometimes I would get no hours one week and hardly any the next week. I left because basically the job was no use to me.

This year, she has the full time girl, her part time self and two other new full time girls who are both there as interns. One of them was hired after me, so basically my paid job turned into a jobs bridge job right after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

This is a good scheme. Jobbridge and TUS took advantage of people on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

washman3 wrote: »
    The sole purpose of this scheme is to manipulate unemployment figures so the likes of Burton, Brian Hayes,Howlin,Varadker and Noonan can spout ****e on tv about how they are 'kickstarting the economy'
    The idea was originally proposed by another shyster, the very smug Bill 'penny apples' Cullen, who is now also in serious financial difficulties as a result of his forays into property speculation.
    What can you do.? never vote for FG or Labour again and urge others to do the same. I assume you are up to speed on the other option,Fianna Fail.? well they don't even deserve to be mentioned.

we really do need a new party in Ireland, we have a load of rubbish going on from all sides.

The great thing about employment figures and most other figures, depending on how you read them you can make the figures say anything you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

DenMan wrote: »
    The Government has launched a new job scheme today (JobsPlus). I wonder will they advertise alongside JobBridge.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-to-launch-jobsplus-employment-scheme-today-599776.html

Thats ridiculous. The person who is most qualified or best suited to the job should get it. It shouldn't be based on how much the company can get from the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Not true, in my experience - I was out of work for 4 years and never experienced anything like that.

Nate

i did get told by sw that i'd lose €44 euro if i didnt do an internship. so i had to do one... 9 months of free labor to the company (there was 5 interns including myself) and none got kept on after.

anyone could have done the job i did (helpdesk) i got zero skills training and was just there do deal with basic computer issues while the hired IT guy went on holidays, then when he came back he upgraded some servers and did some web development until my internship finished.

i now have a job with a different company (not the best job in the world but its a job)

jobsbridge is nothing more than a waste of time and tax payer's money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Congratulations Ireland. The government has taken your jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

is it only irish people that get made to do jobsbridge

No, foreigners are given free high paying positions as well as free cars and drinking money... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I wish the government would just stop the scheme for six months and see if employment goes up. Way too many entry level jobs are advertised as internships. It doesn't get them off the dole anyway, they actually get paid 50 quid more by the state, and they usually won't get a job after, so it doesn't save anything on the taxpayer funded social welfare bill.
    Some twit from Fg was on Vincent Browne a few months ago actually boasting about how he was a small business owner and had taken on a job bridge intern. I can only imagine how his eyes lit up when his party mates started brainstorming this slave labor, paid job reducing, dole increasing scheme which creates nothing but profits for business owners.

The main criteria for getting the dole was always that you are available and looking for a job. Amazing that this gov would make this irrelevant in such a slapdash manner so that they can skew employment figures.

I really think that in many years time, if and when we finally emerge from recession, the job bridge scheme will be one of those things people still remember with disgust. How could our government do this to us, threaten people who are in work with losing their jobs to unpaid workers, make it exponentially harder for those on the dole to find paying work, with one policy that the public have no say in and is so wide open to abuse?

I won't vote for any party that does not have a policy of ending this awful scheme completely. Job bridge = kicking a man when he's down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Cleaning and Washing cars could hardly be classed as an internship.

Joan Burton and her cronies in the Labour Party talk some load of porky pies.

I'm unemployed now and looking for employment either full time or as an internship. As a result, I've had to spend a lot of time looking on the JobBridge website and it's absolutely ridiculous how some businesses have completely taken advantage of it. You might get the good one every now and then, but it's so hard to weed them out amongst the crud; the deli staff, the shelf packers, the "online marketers" (but once you get to the interview, you discover that there is no online marketing, but a lot of manual handling and shelf packing. Seriously), even the places look for mangers.

It's an absolute joke and a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Like several others on here, I have first-hand experience of Jobbridge.

I was made redundant at the end of December 2010 from the publishing field. There was nothing else going in my area in that field and as my work history is all in that area, I was finding it hard gaining any sort of employment.

I applied for a Jobbridge internship in 'marketing and PR' and was 100% exploited. I worked my backside off, even though I quickly realised marketing is NOT an area I am interested in. It was apparent I was simply there to do the ****tiest jobs you can imagine.

It was so soul-destroying. I am 40 now and it had been 20 years since I was last out of work for a significant period.

When my internship ended, I was a wreck of my former self. I ended up on antidepressants and felt totally useless.

Several months later I saw the internship I did being advertised again (yes, the gall of them to get another slave in under a different name). Incensed, I contacted Jobbridge several times and on the third occasion when I threatened going to the media, the internship was finally removed.

To add insult to injury, when I applied for fuel allowance last winter I was told that I was ineligible because my 9 months on Jobbridge is not counted as me being unemployed, so I missed out on being eligible for an extra €80 a month. I know that will sound like pittance to those of you working, but as someone putting themselves now through a counselling degree with a private college, that money could have been a Godsend.

I would have always considered myself an intelligent, confident person, but working for essentially nothing 9-5 (well, an extra €10 a day) slowly took its toll. There was a good few times when I wanted to quit, but I convinced myself to stay and get a decent reference. Looking back, I should have quit. What it did to my self-esteem is beyond something I can express here.

I recently completed an 8-month FAS course as a Healthcare Assistant so I am looking for work in that field to pay for my degree, which I am doing part-time. I felt great doing that course, met some amazing new friends and it built me up again :)

The scheme is, as said, a national joke. I ask everyone that has limited knowledge of the scheme to go to the fas website, type in their county and see how many 'jobs' are internships or CE schemes. It is at least 70%.

Until this scheme is scrapped, jobs will remain hard top find.

The Government is using the scheme to massage unemployment figures and is therefore unwilling to wind it down. It is a disgrace.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just did a search for part time sales assistant jobs in Dublin and out of 17 search results, 9 were CE Schemes. FML!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Just did a search for part time sales assistant jobs in Dublin and out of 17 search results, 9 were CE Schemes. FML!

Yup, not surprised at all. 53% of positions in Dublin is staggering! It is worse in smaller cities. Was almost 80% where I am last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

Of 18 "positions" advertised on FÁS for Cork city today, 12 (Yes twelve!! :mad:) are internships.

Havn't a hope :(

Advertisement