Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

A company I used to work for had a guy who had worked for them for four years, and then been made redundant. He was brought back as a jobbridge intern.

...He's in his sixties!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

MadsL wrote: »
    A company I used to work for had a guy who had worked for them for four years, and then been made redundant. He was brought back as a jobbridge intern.

...He's in his sixties!

for the same job in the same company ?
    If so that's a disgusting abuse of the system and possibly grounds for legal action I would think ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

wheres the scandal?
    1.you get out of the house
    2.get to meet new people
    3.see what its like to earn your money instead of staying in bed till 12 every day

Try being a student looking for a job and you'll realise how infuriating the whole thing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Del2005 wrote: »
    So who's left to vote for? The ones who got us into the mess or the Shinners :eek: They're all as bad as each other and only interested in lining their own pockets or ego.

Push for a new party to be formed at every opportunity. its whats needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

you cant expect to walk in and get the cushy jobs coz you have a few letters after your name
    The average cost to the taxpayer for putting a student through university for a year is about €12,000 (including fees and grant). After a four year degree that's nearly €50,000. Where is the logic in then forcing them into a basic internsip for nine months that will have nothing to do with the letters after their name at a further cost of almost €10,000 only for them to have nothing worthwhile to show for it at the end? It's better to get them into jobs where they will be high earners and paying high levels of tax so that not only do we recoup the cost of their education but they also contribute to society in the long term.

I hate to burst your begrudery bubble but it's not the people with cushy jobs or letters after their names who lose out because of internships. If you actually saw some of these "internships" being advertised I would hope it would make you change your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

...He's in his sixties!
    :eek: That's a new low. It's.... I actually have no words it's so depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

washman3 wrote: »
    The sole purpose of this scheme is to manipulate unemployment figures so the likes of Burton, Brian Hayes,Howlin,Varadker and Noonan can spout ****e on tv about how they are 'kickstarting the economy'
    The idea was originally proposed by another shyster, the very smug Bill 'penny apples' Cullen, who is now also in serious financial difficulties as a result of his forays into property speculation.
    What can you do.? never vote for FG or Labour again and urge others to do the same. I assume you are up to speed on the other option,Fianna Fail.? well they don't even deserve to be mentioned.

That leaves just the Shinners to vote for:eek::eek::eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

do any of the foreigners have to do this scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

cant be any worse than the shower we've had.
    may as well give them a go :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Boofle

When JobBridge was first introduced it was supposed to wind up by July 2013 - this hasn't happened. But it should. As the OP pointed out the FAS jobs website is just full of these Job Bridge "internships". The majority are not internships at all - they are jobs - but the employer is not going to fork out a wage when he can get a slave, sorry 'intern', now is he. . . . .

It is just horrendous that so many unscrupulous employers are getting completely free labour. The whole thing is just a farce at this stage :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Boofle wrote: »
    When JobBridge was first introduced it was supposed to wind up by July 2013 - this hasn't happened. But it should. As the OP pointed out the FAS jobs website is just full of these Job Bridge "internships". The majority are not internships at all - they are jobs - but the employer is not going to fork out a wage when he can get a slave, sorry 'intern', now is he. . . . .

It is just horrendous that so many unscrupulous employers are getting completely free labour. The whole thing is just a farce at this stage :mad:

Met my old boss & finance guy the other day for drinks -asked how things were getting on -fine -was told-two new " Interns" starting -did you replace X & Y people I asked. Met with shuffling silence & embarrassment. The two new " interns" we're replacing full time salaried staff who had left/moved on.
    Disgusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Makes employers who are actually offering decent internships look bad. The word will be tarnished in Ireland now forever

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

God forbid.

Especially because FF, FG and Labour have all been so squeaky clean...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

WumBuster wrote: »
    This is the worrying thing. There are people out there who are willing to put up with this work for free nonsense with silly rationalizing like this. You could do all that with a charity.

the grief with all this is the fas mob and the crowd in the dole offices gives people two choices jobridge or no dole, a family member had to be acessed by fas recently, (not to get him a job, but to keep the people interviewing in jobs) what great job opertunity was he offered, a farm in canada were looking for victims to milk 2,000, yes 2k cows, it seems the cows never see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jimboy2011

I seen one recently for "counter assistant" in a Takeaway!!!

in the place i work it is all the hr family relations ect while i know its not the same but frustrating nonetheless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You need to remember there isnt a single proper business person in the dail ( at bar or a shop keeper doesnt count). You cant seriously except some one who is only qualified to teach some ****ty LC subject to have a logically idea to solve unemployment. Like members of the dail put their friends as directors of semi state companies and then people question why it is losing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Boofle

Met my old boss & finance guy the other day for drinks -asked how things were getting on -fine -was told-two new " Interns" starting -did you replace X & Y people I asked. Met with shuffling silence & embarrassment. The two new " interns" we're replacing full time salaried staff who had left/moved on.
    Disgusted.

That is just absolutely shocking. I was taken on last year as an 'intern' in a solicitors; - only realised on day one that I was actually covering a maternity leave!! The employer was too tight to pay someone for the 6 months! It really is sad how people are being exploited on this scheme/scam.

I will never forget how soul destroying it was every month when everyone in the office was on a high as it was payday :( If it was a genuine internship and I was actually learning new skills and gaining valuable experience I wouldn't have minded - but in hindsight I was just a fully functioning, very capable and experienced person working for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

wheres the scandal?
    1.you get out of the house
    2.get to meet new people
    3.see what its like to earn your money instead of staying in bed till 12 every day

I dont need to get out to meet new people pal.
    I need to pay my mortage.
    And i knew what it was like to get out of bed at half 4 every morning for the last 10 years up until 2 weeks ago.
    Its yet another f*ck up in this glorius country of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

I know a lad who done a job bridge scheme last year only for the social welfare to cut his rent allowance because he was earning 50 quid extra. Talk about sending out the wrong message to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Local firm had a job advertised and suddenly it turned into an internship,so rather than paying a salary they got somebody to do the job for nothing.

The local golf club is also offering internships,learn how to cut grass:rolleyes:

Joke of a setup.

all credit to the fas guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭LeBash

I think Jobbridge is amazing. Where i work we have taken 4 people on so far. The 1st was hired 4 months in. The second was let go about 2 months in cause he was a slacker even though he was informed of an actual job available. 3rd was hired after 7 months and the 4th just started.

I know some companies abuse it but there should be a visable list of the number of people taken on using jobbridge and how many were hired. The individuals can then make their mind up if it is for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

...He's in his sixties!

I thought with Jobbridge you can't do the scheme if you've already worked with the company before.

is it only irish people that get made to do jobsbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Since this is Ireland and everybody seems to be perpetually obsessed with house prices it should be interesting to see how this will affect them in years to come.
    The next generation of people with €250k+ to spend on a property just simply aren't going to be materialise if half the young people are either on the dole, Mickey Mouse intern schemes or emigrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

Boofle wrote: »

My thoughts exactly, this farce of a scheme was supposed to have ended this month but it hasn't, they're actually talking about increasing the jobbridge places like they did in May last year when they went from 5,000 to 6,000 places :(

13,232 people started internships from july 2011 to December 2012 but the scheme has a very high drop-out rate(a 58% drop-out rate stated in the indecon report)

The only politicians whom I'm aware that oppose the scheme are Paul Murphy MEP and Richard Boyd Barrett. Given the extent of the exploitation and the level of anger here by people I'm really shocked that more people have not tried to stop this scheme.

This really needs to be stopped as soon as possible, it puts way too many jobs at risk in an already fragile economy :(

To see first-hand experience of how this scheme is costing jobs you just need to visit the Fas website. Today 1,843 internships are advertised on Fas.ie and only 2,773 real paid jobs are actually on there, its so grim to think about how many more months will it be before the internships outnumber the actual jobs being advertised :( I have to provide a screenshot because the url system of fas.ie does not work properly, but anyone can visit these figures by clicking browse all jobs.

http://kiosk.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=AW4hyLbgiuZfguLw8ahqudsaYmYVfCLeUX6kvoNNegKDyytpUFfGdc1FOqe6pmctbhEDL3JVeX/xXEExVLpFUZjDWn9lC8dZFZDxdZ/Mn4d6KG+0WqGUF/m8Kj6k0um7uVR1R3mxAufEnc5hAHgum4h0ztQuv+o2tsaliSHS6xj7A+8nHFSOPAdjtAkjYidQw2Ruu7h7kVfsDlf/0ziwfxLAHcLpGeNj7h1tg9ZLMNrMI6zjWtyVSfh1PZV0Y4cqeHOM+FXTypb9o9jR/hRv8krfOgrg8rRG2c8CdZnkYedQPhZybb8afIaVeYTHlINVL0cZCsnp6kANKo1N3l1oZw==

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I was told of one internship that was going for a vet.

A qualified vet goes to college where they are sent out on work practise to gain hands on experience. To pass their exams they need to know their stuff. They have practial exams where they need to get top marks. Very little leeway for wrongdoings.
    An internship is supposed to give new graduates hands on experience to allow the intern to put what they learned in college into practise and to gain experience. The idea of the internship is work under supervision as well.

A vet internship is very wrong imo. They graduate knowing their stuff.

It's on the same level as a medical practise taking on a newly qualified GP as an intern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Worst still if your a graduate for any of the decent roles you'll be competing against experienced candidates with years experience, 75% of "interns" are over 25 so there hardly looking for there first job/reference. It's disgusting that large multinationals such as HP can hire workers for nothing even though there well able to pay a living wage. In the recent report employers where pushing for the length of the internships to be extended from 6/9month to a 12/15months. Even go online now all the internships are 9months(rather then 6) so the employer can get his moneys worth SORRY so the intern can gain the best possible experience :rolleyes:. Greedy fcukrs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

SugarCoat wrote: »
    To see first-hand experience of how this scheme is costing jobs you just need to visit the Fas website. Today 1,843 internships are advertised on Fas.ie and only 2,773 real paid jobs are actually on there, its so grim to think about how many more months will it be before the internships outnumber the actual jobs being advertised :( I have to provide a screenshot because the url system of fas.ie does not work properly, but anyone can visit these figures by clicking browse all jobs.

http://kiosk.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=AW4hyLbgiuZfguLw8ahqudsaYmYVfCLeUX6kvoNNegKDyytpUFfGdc1FOqe6pmctbhEDL3JVeX/xXEExVLpFUZjDWn9lC8dZFZDxdZ/Mn4d6KG+0WqGUF/m8Kj6k0um7uVR1R3mxAufEnc5hAHgum4h0ztQuv+o2tsaliSHS6xj7A+8nHFSOPAdjtAkjYidQw2Ruu7h7kVfsDlf/0ziwfxLAHcLpGeNj7h1tg9ZLMNrMI6zjWtyVSfh1PZV0Y4cqeHOM+FXTypb9o9jR/hRv8krfOgrg8rRG2c8CdZnkYedQPhZybb8afIaVeYTHlINVL0cZCsnp6kANKo1N3l1oZw==

If you include employment programs/CE,internships and WPP all paid by the state they're more slave labour jobs then actual jobs. But in fairness to CE schemes they don't expect you to work 40 hours for the dole unlike the "internships".

Advertisement