Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sounds a lot like the commissioner wanted to throw it out but also had to stand by the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

errlloyd wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like the commissioner wanted to throw it out but also had to stand by the ref.

Of course, if there was no ban, effectively it would be an admission that referee made the wrong call. This was never going to be the case because of the sheer impact decision had on Ulster's season.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Brewster wrote: »
    Of course, if there was no ban, effectively it would be an admission that referee made the wrong call. This was never going to be the case because of the sheer impact decision had on Ulster's season.

talk about ****ting on ulster though...as if the red card wasnt bad enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Brewster wrote: »

He could easily not ban him and state that the red card was punishment enough, that would back up the ref and yet probably err on the side of fairness.

When all is said and done however the ref and judiciary process is correct within the letter of the law, but I don't agree with it. I think in some situations being 'reckless' is unavoidable and the duty of care of players cannot be upheld in certain situations at nobodies particular fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Buer wrote: »
    I'd say, at most, 2 weeks and that would only be if they're looking to make an example of it. He has received one yellow card in his entire career.

One day you'll listen to me.

One day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Buer wrote: »
    One day you'll listen to me.

One day.
    Soon.....JC_gimmefive.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Probably always the most likely outcome. I just think banning him serves no purpose at all. He didn't do anything intentionally so what do they think he will learn from the ban? I suppose they have a framework they have to work within though.

Heard something else annoying today from someone who was at the game. Apparently Ashton was definitely offside for the cross field kick try. I was told 5 metres, although I assume that was slightly embellished, but still if true it rubs salt into the wounds...I must admit while the replays didn't show anything my gut feeling was that he was onside but anyway thought I'd pass on what I was told...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

All things considered it is probably a fair outcome. He was never going to get off entirely - the commissions first ruling was that the Red card was justified and it is inconceivable they would have found otherwise. This isn't just backing up Garces; its about showing that they are serious about dangerous play and by any interpretation of the laws, this qualified as dangerous play.

After that comes consideration of the punishment and any mitigating circumstances. That might include the "punishment enough" angle but I reckon it was more about the obvious lack of intent and his good record. When that was balanced against the offence, the three weeks reduced to two decision emerged.

I would not have been surprised if it had fallen into the mid-range (6 weeks) category but I'm happy for Payne and Ulster that it didn't.

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TBH they checked the offside. There was no angle that had both Farrell and Ashton in shot at the same time but he looked onside.

awec wrote: »
    TBH they checked the offside. There was no angle that had both Farrell and Ashton in shot at the same time but he looked onside.

Oh I totally agree, the camera angle didn't tell us one way or the other, but his was the second time I'd heard from someone at the game that Ashton was offside. But as I say my gut said he was probably on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If he actually was offside then it would be incredibly stupid cause he had no need to be.

bilston wrote: »
    Oh I totally agree, the camera angle didn't tell us one way or the other, but his was the second time I'd heard from someone at the game that Ashton was offside. But as I say my gut said he was probably on.

No point worrying any more bilster - console yourself with the thought of what Clermont will hopefully do to them in the semi final. :P

No point worrying any more bilster - console yourself with the thought of what Clermont will hopefully do to them in the semi final. :P

It's not like we'd have beaten Clermont minus Best, Tuohy, Wilson, possibly Afoa and Pienaar anyway.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If he actually was offside then it would be incredibly stupid cause he had no need to be.

Aye, true

I think he looked miles offside considering how far he'd have to cover if he was on, but there was no wide angle so they couldn't do anything about it. Again, poor form on the touch judges part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

.ak wrote: »
    I think he looked miles offside considering how far he'd have to cover if he was on, but there was no wide angle so they couldn't do anything about it. Again, poor form on the touch judges part

Watch it again. He had barely any ground to cover.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Yes, Ashton would never do anything stupid now, would he.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just listening to Off the Ball on Newstalk and Gerry Thornley was very against the Payne Red card whereas Keith Wood was for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://uafc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17115&sid=aeda1239722f8d383d88cbb5d29906b4&start=75

silly names aside

They were wrong

Ulster XV and replacements to face Connacht, RaboDirect PRO12 Ravenhill, Friday 11th April (kick off 19:05) (15-9): R Andrew, A Trimble, T Bowe, L Marshall, C Gilroy, P Jackson, P Marshall; (1-8): A Warwick, R Herring, R Lutton, J Muller (Captain), I Henderson, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, T Court, A Macklin, L Stevenson, S Doyle, M Heaney, J McKinney, S McCloskey.

• Advertisement

Do alright.

Looking forward to seeing McCloskey again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Ulster XV and replacements to face Connacht, RaboDirect PRO12 Ravenhill, Friday 11th April (kick off 19:05) (15-9): R Andrew, A Trimble, T Bowe, L Marshall, C Gilroy, P Jackson, P Marshall; (1-8): A Warwick, R Herring, R Lutton, J Muller (Captain), I Henderson, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, T Court, A Macklin, L Stevenson, S Doyle, M Heaney, J McKinney, S McCloskey.

Bowe 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

ssaye2 wrote: »

Bowe 13

Very, very interesting

Hopefully that team can do the job. Need Paul Marshall to have a decent game.

Would have preferred Gilroy at 15 and Scholes on the wing, other than that a decent selection. Will be interesting to see how the front row goes.

Great to see Trimble is fit. I think he's crucial to your chances in the play offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Did Ferris pick up a knock last week?

Don't think so. I reckon we don't need to push him so hard now we're out of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ssaye2 wrote: »

Bowe 13

Exciting backline. Bowe will be interesting. I'd imagine Connacht will be targeting the scrum, especially Warwick.

Henshaw is playing 13 for Connacht, interesting battle alright.

Henshaw is playing 13 for Connacht, interesting battle alright.

Griffin is playing 13 and Henshaw is playing 15

its_phil wrote: »
    Griffin is playing 13 and Henshaw is playing 15

That's a shame, it would have been great to see them in direct opposition.

That's a shame, it would have been great to see them in direct opposition.

Yeah would of been interesting. Very excited for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

.ak wrote: »
    Great to see Trimble is fit. I think he's crucial to your chances in the play offs.

Is he though? looked concussed last week yet returns less than a week later.

Not setting a good example IMO.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »

Well you'd hope that he is, and that Ulster aren't breaking any rules concerning player safety, after all they should be able to take Connacht on without him.

To be honest I think the Ulster medical team are in the best possible position to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

If he passes the return to play protocols then whats the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

damianmcr wrote: »
    If he passes the return to play protocols then whats the problem?

I'm open to correction , but if he did suffer a concussion on sat, and to my eyes he looked out of it on the night, then to return within 6 days would breach the irb requirements which is 1 week.

If they are saying he wasn't concussed then that's a different story.

Just seems silly to rush him back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

There is no time limit anymore. Once he passes the protocols he is free to play.

Thats my take on it. I dont mind being corrected though.

I'm open to correction , but if he did suffer a concussion on sat, and to my eyes he looked out of it on the night, then to return within 6 days would breach the irb requirements which is 1 week.

If they are saying he wasn't concussed then that's a different story.

Just seems silly to rush him back.

Well that's probably the most important thing bolded there. I would think the Ulster medical staff would know a bit more and the fact is we actually don't know if he was concussed or not. It's very easy to look legless coming off a pitch and have nothing wrong with your head.

If this isn't the case, then yes, it would be absolutely silly to rush him back, but you'd hope with all the issues concerning concussions lately that the medical staff wouldn't be that stupid or careless.

Anyone know much about Louis Ludik?

Louis Ludik

ludik.jpgIntro

Louis is a quick attacking player with a good boot and sound tackling technique and a very valuable acquisition for the Sharks. He is known as the "last line of defense" as it is fairly impossible to get past him. This experienced fullback is plying his trade in France for the next 2 seasons at Agen.
    twitter1.jpgFaceBook-Logo.png

Personal Details

Full Name: Louis Ludik
    Date of birth: 8 October 1986
    Weight: 92kg
    Height: 1.83m
    Position: Fullback
    Team: Sharks & Agen

CAREER

Squads
    Agen, France 2013 - 2015
    Super 15 Sharks squad 2013
    Super 15 Sharks squad 2012
    Super 15 Sharks 2011
    Sharks (ABSA Currie Cup Premier Division) - 2010
    Sharks Invitational XV (Absa Currie Cup Compulsory Friendlies) - 2010
    Sharks XV (Vodacom Cup) - 2010
    Xerox Golden Lions (British & Irish Lions Tour) - 2009
    Auto & General Lions (Vodacom Super 14) - 2009
    Xerox Lions (ABSA Currie Cup Premier Div) - 2008
    Xerox Lions (Absa Currie Cup Compulsory Friendlies) - 2008
    Auto & General Lions (Vodacom Super 14) - 2008
    Golden Lions (ABSA Currie Cup Premier Div) - 2007
    SA Emerging (IRB Nations Cup) - 2007
    Lions (Vodacom Super 14) - 2007
    Lions (ABSA Currie Cup Premier Division) - 2006
    Lions (Vodacom Cup) - 2006
    Golden Lions (SA Under 19) - 2005
    Golden Lions (ABSA Under 21 Competition) - 2005
    Falcons (U18 Coca-Cola Craven Week) - 2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

27 years old 80ish super caps, full back who can cover wing, moved to france for 13/14 on a biggish money deal, but agen went down before he signed and he has asked for a release because he doesn't like prod2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'd love to see McCloskey get a run of games, certainly an interesting prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone know anything on Fitzpatrick's status, word on a couple of other forums that his reported injury is non existent and he has significantly fallen out with anscombe. Possibly moving on. However I don't know the reliability of posters on those forums so wondering if someone from here might have an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I suppose Ludik will fill the gap when Payne moves south.

Hagz wrote: »
    I suppose Ludik will fill the gap when Payne moves south.

You're Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif.
    Why would Payne move south to a team on the down slope when he can stay where he is and play in the Ireland backline alongside the likes of Jackson, Olding, Marshall, Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy, McCloskey and Scholes.....stirthepot.gif:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hagz wrote: »
    I suppose Ludik will fill the gap when Payne moves south to Munster.

Agreed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement