Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Oh you poor thing smokey eyes, no 'roids here yet, but them and varicose veins are the two things I'm most worried about getting! I've heard constipation can make them worse, so try and get lots of fibre and drink loads of water. Hope they don't become too painful.

I'm off to London for a few days for a baby moon. Forecast is crap but there are worse places to be in the rain than London - tons of indoor stuff to do. Hope I don't find the walking too much, there's a tube strike on this week so we're going to have to walk more than normal. I walked the dog yesterday for an hour and my belly felt like I was carrying a bowling ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

ncmc wrote: »
    Oh you poor thing smokey eyes, no 'roids here yet, but them and varicose veins are the two things I'm most worried about getting! I've heard constipation can make them worse, so try and get lots of fibre and drink loads of water. Hope they don't become too painful.

I'm off to London for a few days for a baby moon. Forecast is crap but there are worse places to be in the rain than London - tons of indoor stuff to do. Hope I don't find the walking too much, there's a tube strike on this week so we're going to have to walk more than normal. I walked the dog yesterday for an hour and my belly felt like I was carrying a bowling ball!

Thanks a mill hope London is great! Agree all of a sudden I can really feel the baby sometimes when I'm walking, definitely feels like a bowling ball sometimes but really trying hard to keep active, even though my pelvis is acting up too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

went in today for my 13week scan only to be told im 23weeks and due the 5of june totally in shock but omg i over half way there and we cant wait to meet him :)

Oh my god Laura! That's incredible! Congrats and welcome to the June group. So you were 12-14 weeks pregnant before you realised? That's just amazing.

Oh my god Laura! That's incredible! Congrats and welcome to the June group. So you were 12-14 weeks pregnant before you realised? That's just amazing.

thanks hun :) only found out four weeks ago :) put it down to the stress of moving house and than xmas as i work in retail and do long hours....ive no bump and no had no sickness just heartburn so guess i lucky and was even more happier when i was told today that everything was great :) im super excited now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Wow that's mad laura! It will fly in for you now!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Hi all,
    Had my anatomy scan last Thursday (23wks) and we found out its a lil girl. Made the process so much more real for me! Finally decided it was time to think about cribs and other baby stuff. The consultant turned on the 3D and we saw her face and she was sucking her thumb! Didnt even think that was possible at this stage but it was fab. Hope yer all doing well!

Congrats dustie, that's brilliant news! Have you a name picked for her yet? I'm slightly regretting not finding out the gender, we're organising the nursery at the moment and it's surprisingly hard to get nice gender neutral things like lampshades etc. My next scan isn't til 32 weeks so at that stage I think I'll hang tough and not find out.

How is everyone feeling? I'm feeling great I must say (25+4) but think I'm huge compared to other people at the same stage! I'm getting comments like "you've a fine big bump " :( Am worried I'm going to be ginormous by the end, but maybe if I stopped stuffing my face for 5 mins it might help! Beginning to find it a bit more challenging to get comfy in bed, but other than that I'm feeling brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

@laura that's mad! at least you missed out on most of the morning sickness! Congrats.

@dustie...wow a little girl, that's great news! Congratulations!

@ncmc I google image search every week to see how my bump compares! I've come to realize that there is no such thing as "normal" but I'm actually delighted to be noticeably pregnant now! Feel quiet proud of my bump :D

Serious movement the last few weeks to the point where it's really affecting my sleep and it can leave me feeling a bit winded at times!

Have another scan next Friday and hopefully will find out the gender then. Everything I'm buying is gender neutral but would like a few little accessories etc to signify boy or girl. It might sound silly but I really want to be able to call the baby him/her, she/he, our little girl/boy :o

I cannot get over how ridiculously nice people are about it all, offering us stuff, offering help any way they can and just all the genuine well wishes, it's all so positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

I think we're officially the quietest month on the board..

We're all too relaxed about having our June babies ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

MissFire wrote: »
    I think we're officially the quietest month on the board..

We're all too relaxed about having our June babies ha ha

Yes we really are!
    Hope everyone is doing well!
    All is good with me apart from some really sore pelvic and groin pain, doctor says it's spd and common in pregnant woman but not a lot they can do for it.
    Baby is kicking really strong now! And bump is getting really big!

I'm definitely not relaxed!:D

26 weeks this week and SPD definitely feels a good bit worse and am getting a little bit of swelling each day on my feet which is nice and attractive:D

We went to Derren Brown last night and I didn't use the bathroom at the interval cause I felt ok but by the end of the show (if you leave you can't get back in) I was in agony from needing to wee (my bladder seems to have shrunk in the past month or so) and my fiance had to help me hobble to the bathroom and back to the car after and help me out of the car I was in so much pain, even after going! It eased off but really wasn't nice! Show was excellent though!

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I'm definitely not relaxed!:D

26 weeks this week and SPD definitely feels a good bit worse and am getting a little bit of swelling each day on my feet which is nice and attractive:D

We went to Derren Brown last night and I didn't use the bathroom at the interval cause I felt ok but by the end of the show (if you leave you can't get back in) I was in agony from needing to wee (my bladder seems to have shrunk in the past month or so) and my fiance had to help me hobble to the bathroom and back to the car after and help me out of the car I was in so much pain, even after going! It eased off but really wasn't nice! Show was excellent though!

I've had those pains in bladder too.. Also my bowels can feel weird, like spasms after going loo too, have you ever had that? I'm assuming it's cause they're squashed up more now.. I always joke its baba doing it cause it's got more room to disco dance in there lol..

All going OK for me.. Tiredness is finally starting to kick in after months of people asking me about it, also I've got a lot slower, which to be honest is kinda bugging me, everyone else is delighted cause they can finally keep up with me while walking along with me lol

Had my 28 week check up at hospital yesterday and all is good thankfully.. Got my glucose results from last weeks tests and they were fine so I had a chocolate muffin to celebrate..

Have any of ye started getting your hospital bags ready yet?

Hope you're all doing well and are enjoying your kicks :)

I've had those pains in bladder too.. Also my bowels can feel weird, like spasms after going loo too, have you ever had that? I'm assuming it's cause they're squashed up more now.. I always joke its baba doing it cause it's got more room to disco dance in there lol..

All going OK for me.. Tiredness is finally starting to kick in after months of people asking me about it, also I've got a lot slower, which to be honest is kinda bugging me, everyone else is delighted cause they can finally keep up with me while walking along with me lol

Had my 28 week check up at hospital yesterday and all is good thankfully.. Got my glucose results from last weeks tests and they were fine so I had a chocolate muffin to celebrate..

Have any of ye started getting your hospital bags ready yet?

Hope you're all doing well and are enjoying your kicks :)

I find now that when I need to go, any wind or anything kills me and my system feels really sluggish which doesn't help, really trying to avoid being constipated!

Congrats on the GTT test mine is the 28th so I'm trying to be saintly for the few weeks up to it but there's so much hidden sugar in everything I'm probably still being a bit rubbish! I plan to celebrate with a big slice of cake if I'm ok:D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Hi all, I've my GTT next thursday and not looking forward to it at all! fasting overnight and 3 blood samples in 3 hours before food. Without my morning tea and toast, i'll be like a demon in the end! I'm 27+3 now and the kicks have gotten so strong of late, even DH was shocked feeling one of them. He's delighted as he thinks he's getting some super ninja baby!!!

dustie1 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've my GTT next thursday and not looking forward to it at all! fasting overnight and 3 blood samples in 3 hours before food. Without my morning tea and toast, i'll be like a demon in the end! I'm 27+3 now and the kicks have gotten so strong of late, even DH was shocked feeling one of them. He's delighted as he thinks he's getting some super ninja baby!!!

Hope your GTT goes well, not looking forward to it either just because I'm always difficult to get blood out of so three blood tests in the one morning will probably be torture! Mine is at 8 though so at least we'll get started early and then I'll have a big brek in town somewhere afterwards!

dustie1 wrote: »

It's not too bad after dusty.. I was on the moan thread about it the other night.. I was cranky night before cause I wanted to drink water.. To be honest I had a few little sips during night as throat was so dry.. (I gargled water too but didn't swallow it) The appointment was early in morning and they gave me my three glasses of room temp lucozade.. And that saw me through til 11am, when I went home and devoured my breakie lol

I agree with MissFire, it’s not as bad as I expected. I don’t like Lucozade at the best of times so I was dreading it, but it’s actually grand. You have to drink 410ml of Lucozade, but you’re given 5-10 mins to drink it so it’s not like you have to knock it back. I only had to have two blood tests, one before, one after. It seems to vary from hospital to hospital. I had my 28 week check up and got the whooping cough vaccine while I was waiting. Getting my results on Friday so hopefully they will be ok. I am a major sugar junkie so I am a little worried.

I agree with MissFire, it’s not as bad as I expected. I don’t like Lucozade at the best of times so I was dreading it, but it’s actually grand. You have to drink 410ml of Lucozade, but you’re given 5-10 mins to drink it so it’s not like you have to knock it back. I only had to have two blood tests, one before, one after. It seems to vary from hospital to hospital. I had my 28 week check up and got the whooping cough vaccine while I was waiting. Getting my results on Friday so hopefully they will be ok. I am a major sugar junkie so I am a little worried.

I'm terrible, I haven't looked into the whooping cough vaccine yet and GP asked me to look into it at my last appointment... Did you get the flu jab too?

I'm terrible, I haven't looked into the whooping cough vaccine yet and GP asked me to look into it at my last appointment... Did you get the flu jab too?
    I got the flu jab way back at my first appointment, I think I was only 6 or 7 weeks! I know some people choose not to get the whooping cough vaccine, but I am a believer in getting whatever is on offer! It protects the baby until he/she is old enough to get the vaccine and apparently whooping cough is making a comeback. I had no ill effects from it and it was free, although I have heard of some women being charged. It's strange as I was charged for the flu vaccine and some pregnant women aren't. Like a lot of pregnancy matters, there seems to be no consistency with this.

• Advertisement

im preggers on my 1st and all my bloods have come back normal due on due 5th so im 28weeks tomorrow ive had it plain sailing i have to say no sickness just heartburn and tiredness.does everyone need a glucose test nothing was said to me i just have a normal 30week check up on the 26th of this month which is bloods and my scan the following week. should i be ringing looking for one as dibeties runs in the family and my doc has alerted the hospital of this
    cheers ladies sorry just a little slow on these things

im preggers on my 1st and all my bloods have come back normal due on due 5th so im 28weeks tomorrow ive had it plain sailing i have to say no sickness just heartburn and tiredness.does everyone need a glucose test nothing was said to me i just have a normal 30week check up on the 26th of this month which is bloods and my scan the following week. should i be ringing looking for one as dibeties runs in the family and my doc has alerted the hospital of this
    cheers ladies sorry just a little slow on these things
    Hi Laura, welcome and congrats! The glucose test isn't standard, I needed it because I had PCOS and apparently that can increase the chances of getting gestational diabetes. I think you should definitely be getting one done if there is diabetes in your family.

I just got mine done in my GP’s and didn’t need a referral or anything, although the midwife had written a note in my file at the 12 week check up that I was to have it done at 27-30 weeks. I would contact your hospital and ask them about it, they will probably be able to do it in conjunction with your 32 week check up, but you would need prior warning as you have to fast from 10pm the previous night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hanracar

Hey there, i am just joining this thread. So glad to have found it. I am Irish but living in the US this past year. I am almost 25 weeks along, So far so good no real complaints just tiredness. I have nothing organized and flip flop between wanted everything done and thinking its too early to do anything ! Everyone i know here has the nurseries done and tons bought !

Hanracar wrote: »
    Hey there, i am just joining this thread. So glad to have found it. I am Irish but living in the US this past year. I am almost 25 weeks along, So far so good no real complaints just tiredness. I have nothing organized and flip flop between wanted everything done and thinking its too early to do anything ! Everyone i know here has the nurseries done and tons bought !

Welcome Hanracar!

Hanracar I haven't done a thing yet besides look up buggies etc online.. I don't know if I'm being a little too laid back or what.. I know my mam has bought a few bits and pieces but that's it.. Think I'm kinda waiting til I'm 30 weeks to start..

Welcome Hanracar!

Hanracar I haven't done a thing yet besides look up buggies etc online.. I don't know if I'm being a little too laid back or what.. I know my mam has bought a few bits and pieces but that's it.. Think I'm kinda waiting til I'm 30 weeks to start..

We've done very little too, fortunately my mam's friend recently had kids and is giving us a load of stuff and my side of the family has got us the buggy and car seat and my fiance's side is getting us the cot this weekend! Jammy!

Apart from that all we've picked up so far is a few bits of clothes from a few different places, plus some plug jammers, dummies and bottles when Lidl had their baby event on but they're also from 3 months so need to get some newborn stuff!

Hanracar wrote: »
    Wherabouts in the US are you Hanracar? What is the ante natal care like there, do you require a lot of insurance? I personally don’t have much done, I am lucky in that people around me are doing stuff for me! I am getting the cot, crib and travel system from my sister so collecting that when I am babysitting for her at the end of the month. My sister in law gave me bags of neutral baby stuff at Christmas which I only got round to looking at last week, there is tons of stuff! She must have given me 30 vests, 20 babygros, a couple of grobags, hats, cardi, muslin cloths still in their packet and that’s just the 0-3 bag! I won’t have to buy a thing which is great. All I really need to buy is some cellular blankets and I may buy some more muslin cloths as I’ve heard you can never have too many. The only thing I have actually bought so far is a starter pack of Avent bottles in case the breastfeeding doesn’t pan out. My sister is also giving me her steriliser.

I am on a FB page with June ’14 mothers to be and a lot of them are super organised, they have all their hospital stuff bought and a lot of them have bags packed. I will probably try and do that in the next couple of weeks, I aim to have it done by 32 weeks! I am not going to stress about stuff, we still have loads of time and it’s not like we are giving birth in a hut in the woods – I am in CUMH which is right across from a large Penny’s so if worse comes to worse and I’ve forgotten something, I can send the hubby over.

So far the ante natal care has been great. Its very Dr led and from what i here the births are very managed and medicated ! As in they move you along quickly, there is no gas and air so its straight to epidural. I don't mind i will go with the flow however they want to do it, rather than fight the system. Its all covered by insurance which is great. The medical system here is a bit mad if you have insurance the care is nearly overkill. Not like in the UK and Ireland where i think only bits are covered here when you go private its all covered.

I am waiting till i am after the 30 weeks too to get more organized. I have kinda of an idea of all i need and have looked online a good bit. They are mad in to baby showers so i know my team at work is organizing this, I am a bit embarrassed about that as i feel i don't know people that long and its a bit greedy but thats they way they do it for weddings and babies....

The other question i have is what about family visiting etc, are ye having your Mams or family to stay for the birth or to help. Mine are all keen to come but i am worried i won't be able to look after them and i might be a hormonal mess !!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hi Hanracar! I'm also having a baby in the US. I'm actually due Sept 2014 but I like lurking on these earlier threads to see what is ahead of me :) Thought I'd reply with my two cents as we are in the same boat.

Re the baby shower, I'm kind of dreading that myself. The minute I told my close american friends here, the girls were all on about the baby shower and it made me a bit uncomfortable. (I work with a lot of guys and other foreigners, so I doubt there will be a work one). It feels like it is just an excuse to squeeze presents out of your friends! (of course I didn't say that to them, I think they'd be a bit insulted). And I guess I'm kind of from a place where we don't make too big of a fuss about baby things before the baby actually arrives. Pregnancy, yeah fine but not baby stuff till close to the end, who knows what will happen. An american friend of mine here who lived in dublin for a few years and encountered this idea thinks it is a weird, morbid superstition. I can see that it seems like a weird thing from the outside but it is a hard feeling to shake off all the same. I reckon I won't get away with not having a baby shower, especially now that some of my friends have taken it into their heads to show the foreigner how its done :). We are here on our own so I guess I shouldn't be refusing help. And this is an american baby so I might as well! Embrace the shower, you might get some useful baby gear out of it!

Re the parents/family coming over. Yeah, that's going to be interesting. My parents are already saying they want to come over both before the birth and after. Not sure why they want to come over before, it might not work out well, it gets very hot and humid here at that time and I'll be stressed to get finished up in work. I'm hoping to convince them to come over about 2-3 weeks after the birth. That way we get a few weeks of the baby to ourselves and try get ourselves sorted out. Then, if we are completely frazzled after a couple of weeks of no sleep and screaming (us and/or baby), at least my Mum can help out a little while they are here (she would be a good help/advice person, my dad would be one of those negative-helping people, as in he makes situations worse). The other side won't be coming over, maybe after a year. That's another story!

One thing, will they be staying with you or in a hotel? We've always had visitors stay with us, but I don't think I could handle that and a small baby too. We live in the city, it is a bit pricy but I've found a couple of places that might do. Also, it might sound bad, but I'm afraid that it might be all a bit much with new baby and visitors staying too long, so if they are paying for a hotel they may not over-stay ;)

Some people that I work with, especially chinese and indian people, their parents come for 6 months at a time. Literally 6 months! One side comes for 6 months, then the other side comes for 6 months. Living with them :eek: I think there is a 6 month visa or something. I could not handle that!

As you said, once you have good insurance you are grand. I haven't had to pay for anything so far, between insurance and also I work in the university attached to the hospital so I get a special deal. I can't even start to think about any unfortunate women who dont have insurance. It is so unfair and wrong. For all the issues with the Irish system, at least everyone gets looked after.

I was a bit concerned with over-medicalisation too, the docs here will do anything and everything just to cover their asses and not get sued. I don't fancy getting a c-section for the wrong reasons. But a friend of mine, who would be similarily concerned, just had a baby in the same hospital and she found the whole thing to be fine which was really reassuring.

Hope everything goes well for you and come June you'll have a bouncing yankee baby!

Happy Paddy's Day!

madeinamerica nice to 'meet' you. I agree on the baby shower we will just have to go with it, but i am the same about celebrating so far in advance but i guess it shows the difference between our outlook in that we are training not to expect everything to always work out perfectly !

On the visitors they would be staying with me.... so from talking to friends and family today it seems everyone agrees that its ok to want the first couple of weeks to ourselves to try and find a routine and bond as a new family and then maybe have the guests later. Interesting you say about the Indians etc my husband is Turkish and they are the same so he thinks i am odd to want privacy!

When are you planning on finishing up work, some weeks i feel gung ho that i will work to the end and then others i think i would love a few weeks to myself to destress and get organized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Interesting you say about the Indians etc my husband is Turkish and they are the same so he thinks i am odd to want privacy!

When are you planning on finishing up work, some weeks i feel gung ho that i will work to the end and then others i think i would love a few weeks to myself to destress and get organized.[/quote]

That is interesting, I didn't know the Turkish culture had that too.

I don't get a lot of leave, so I'm hoping to work right up to the end. I work in a lab and i'm hoping that by that point my experiments will be finished and I can just work from home on the analysis. I wouldn't be able to relax if I'd time off before the birth, I think I'd stress myself outmore. who knows what will actually happen though!

Advertisement