Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security at nightclubs

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bill buchanan

Without getting into a debate on which employment is more or less likely to have a criminal conviction . Years ago when i was growing up (im 33) the priest , nuns and christian brothers could do no wrong and infact were a coner stone to the beliefs of socity , a nation And where hughly influencial over our government and its policies . Fast forward to present day and what doest hindsight teach us . Between sex scandles , magdeline laundrys , kiddy fiddling and the violance of some instituations . It has taught us to be cautious of everybody .

Nobody is above reproach .

I'm of course not saying anyone s above reproach, and never even suggested it. was just make the side point that we have criminal record checks very very frequently. I've had 3 in roughly the last 18 months. So the "unlikely" point stands. But it was never the central point in the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

I'm of course not saying anyone s above reproach, and never even suggested it. was just make the side point that we have criminal record checks very very frequently. I've had 3 in roughly the last 18 months. So the "unlikely" point stands. But it was never the central point in the argument.

I fully agree with the rest of your points . Id just move on and not give it a 2nd taught and wouldnt drink there again . Simples

But i couldnt resist jumping on that comment 😜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 candydevine

how does one lodge a complaint to the the PSA, Private Security Authority,
    mucho gracious

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

how does one lodge a complaint to the the PSA, Private Security Authority,
    mucho gracious

On the Website. http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/newsitems/44C46FF57B6F748D8025781D0039EB3F?Opendocument

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ryaner2k14

Security Waterford( Door Supervisors) Licenced Premises. Have the right to refuse admission to any person. you have to remember night clubs and bars are privately owned and its up to owners if they want you in or not. the door staff can enforce this on behalf of the owner becuase they are licenced to do so. its a pain in the hole but its just a fact. if you were really feeling grieved about it the only thing you could do is request the Doormen PSA Licence number. its the number printed on the front of the orange licence card that must be worn and displayed to the public at all times while on duty.
    its against the law for him or her to refuse you to look at it. The number will be easily identifiable. and example would be EM654321/16.
    another suggestion would be to have a quite word with the Head of Security.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

ryaner2k14 wrote: »
    Security Waterford( Door Supervisors) Licenced Premises. Have the right to refuse admission to any person. you have to remember night clubs and bars are privately owned and its up to owners if they want you in or not. the door staff can enforce this on behalf of the owner becuase they are licenced to do so. its a pain in the hole but its just a fact. if you were really feeling grieved about it the only thing you could do is request the Doormen PSA Licence number. its the number printed on the front of the orange licence card that must be worn and displayed to the public at all times while on duty.
    its against the law for him or her to refuse you to look at it. The number will be easily identifiable. and example would be EM654321/16.
    another suggestion would be to have a quite word with the Head of Security.

Are they able to get away with refusing people on racial grounds or sexual orientation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Jumboman wrote: »
    Are they able to get away with refusing people on racial grounds or sexual orientation ?

No..not under the nine grounds of discrimination by the way thread is a year old.

padma wrote: »
    No..not under the nine grounds of discrimination by the way thread is a year old.

So does that mean people from minority groups can not be refused from anywhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ryaner2k14

In a nutshell its at the doorstaffs decression who is aloud in or not. if you really felt that he or she was discriminating against you. it would be a matter for the courts. but id imagine a hard case to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

So does that mean people from minority groups can not be refused from anywhere ?

No..it means they can not be discriminated against based on their ethnicity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

What are you exactly asking. Why not just ask out straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

They can be refused for being drunk, high, underage, behaving in a threatening manner, etc.

But NOT because they are part of a minority..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They can be refused for being drunk, high, underage, behaving in a threatening manner, etc.

But NOT because they are part of a minority..

Don't forget the classic refusal reasons - Wearing runners/jeans/not wearing runners/jeans, in a group that is too large/on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

To be honest I would never waste my time arguing with these Neanderthals. You have to remember that these types of individuals are doing the job they are doing for a reason and it isn't because they are overly intelligent, interested in your welfare, have a keen sense of customer focus or are capable of making sound and reasonable judgements they are generally hired goons at the lower levels of society, have limited skill sets and usefulness.. of course there is the odd exception to that.

Just go somewhere that you will be welcomed, treated civilly and where your custom will be appreciated. Do not waste your time justifying their existence it's part of them getting their kicks.

I left a nightclub with four friends when one of our friends who arrived later wasn't being allowed in for one of the usual reasons.. Well dressed, sober and a nice guy so could have been no issues... We all just walked and met up with him outside and went elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Strumms just because you may have had a few bad encounters with them does not make them all idiots,I have had a few bad encounters with the Guards but i dont judge the entire force based on those incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Strumms just because you may have had a few bad encounters with them does not make them all idiots,I have had a few bad encounters with the Guards but i dont judge the entire force based on those incidents.

I'm not altogether sure how sure Guards might appreciate the comparison of their profession to that of whom we speak of in this thread. I did in my previous post say that there are exceptions however which i would re-stress. I mean lets be honest.. have you ever seen a thread on boards or a conversation themed or titled.. "doormen in Ireland, great bunch of lads"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Strumms wrote: »
    I'm not altogether sure how sure Guards might appreciate the comparison of their profession to that of whom we speak of in this thread. I did in my previous post say that there are exceptions however which i would re-stress. I mean lets be honest.. have you ever seen a thread on boards or a conversation themed or titled.. "doormen in Ireland, great bunch of lads"

I'll just jump in here for a second. Have you actually seen many threads on boards praising anyone/thing. It is really part of the Irish culture to complain and put down. Seriously look at the threads

I'm not altogether sure how sure Guards might appreciate the comparison of their profession to that of whom we speak of in this thread.

The gardas are far worse than bouncers IMO. Because they are a law unto themselves.

You have little or no comeback if a garda hits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Sure enough their are some here that bring down the industry, But many of the lads and ladies i have hired or worked with are highly trained in many areas of the sector and required fields, Door work is just a filler when other contracts are off. Nearly all have advance training in relating areas e.g Medical, Fire Control, Crowd Control. And have attended course that start at level 5 Year long and go on to college and most would attend CP course and other special course's.

So some night if your out and you get a smack or a fall and the only person around to help you is a chap getting 55euro for 9hrs work and to listen to total crap you will be thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

To be honest I would never waste my time arguing with these Neanderthals. You have to remember that these types of individuals are doing the job they are doing for a reason and it isn't because they are overly intelligent, interested in your welfare, have a keen sense of customer focus or are capable of making sound and reasonable judgements they are generally hired goons at the lower levels of society, have limited skill sets and usefulness.. of course there is the odd exception to that.

Just go somewhere that you will be welcomed, treated civilly and where your custom will be appreciated. Do not waste your time justifying their existence it's part of them getting their kicks.

I left a nightclub with four friends when one of our friends who arrived later wasn't being allowed in for one of the usual reasons.. Well dressed, sober and a nice guy so could have been no issues... We all just walked and met up with him outside and went elsewhere.

You don't buy a car from a salesman who is an a$$hole, nor do you buy your paper in the shop where the staff have attitude problems, but people still love to give their money and business to pubs/clubs who employ problematic staff. I guess people want to be seen somewhere popular and will put up with being treated like crap as a trade off...

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Don't forget the classic refusal reasons - Wearing runners/jeans/not wearing runners/jeans, in a group that is too large/on your own.

I dunno if those reasons are all legitimate but yes they are used regardless. My point was that a person could be refused for a number of legitimate reasons but not just because they are part of a minority.

• Advertisement
Advertisement