Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain America Sequel The Winter Soldier

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I imagine Trank's Fantastic Four Movie will be in there too to fill the gap, even if it's not going to be MU

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

like the arm !

didnt think they'd keep the cable look of the winter soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Eh, what happeened? Scarlett Johansson isn't looking nearly as sultry as usual in that trailer!

I'm out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Looks fairly good.

With all the special effects on show they're obviously banking on this making a serious impact at the box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Glad they're exploring the landscape of modern day through the eyes of the 1940s.

Don't care for
    Winter Soldier
    's look though. At least from the neck up. Got a hybrid of the Loki greasy hair and Spidey 3's New Goblin headgear going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ridley wrote: »
    Glad they're exploring the landscape of modern day through the eyes of the 1940s.

Don't care for
    Winter Soldier
    's look though. At least from the neck up. Got a hybrid of the Loki greasy hair and Spidey 3's New Goblin headgear going on.

Pretty close to the comic version, or at least how the comic version looked when he first showed up.

Winter_Soldier.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are Black Widow and Captain America a couple in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Kess73 wrote: »
    Pretty close to the comic version, or at least how the comic version looked when he first showed up.

Not close enough!*

*not a comic purist, honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are Black Widow and Captain America a couple in this?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Why does the bad guy look like he should be in a...... shudder.... "30 Seconds to Mars" video right at the end?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's only a trailer, but that is being sold as extraordinarily generic action film, with its cold metallic colour palette and 'badass' action. What I liked about the first film - which was far, far from great, but solid enough - was its novel setting and old-fashioned adventure tone. That, given narrative developments, is not possible to directly replicate, but it would have been nice to see a more inventive take on the character. If a trailer is meant to inspire, this sadly had the opposite effect. But then I've already lost most faith in Marvel films, so this simply mightn't be for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first Captain America had its flaws, but what I loved was its aesthetic and imagination; you could certainly see echoes of Joe Johnston's previous effort from that historical era, The Rocketeer (still love that movie more than is probably healthy btw). Captain America had a zip and old-school energy that made it endearing. In many respects, of all the preliminary Marvel movies (or 'Phase 1' as they want to call it), it was the one I enjoyed the most. Technically, cinematically, it wasn't the best film, but on a personal level I had the most fun.

As mentioned, the sequel's trailer makes things feel awfully sterile and generic, with a bit too much brooding by half. Going by the dialogue and piecing the scenes together, it looks like it's aiming at an Enemy Within angle; Cap' is already an archaic idea in a modern world, so figures he might find himself fighting the very institutions he once have worked with. Either way, I can't say it has me excited tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Far more excited for GOTG than this. Both CA and Thor seem to have lost the charm that helped define their previous entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    The first Captain America had its flaws, but what I loved was its aesthetic and imagination; you could certainly see echoes of Joe Johnston's previous effort from that historical era, The Rocketeer (still love that movie more than is probably healthy btw). Captain America had a zip and old-school energy that made it endearing. In many respects, of all the preliminary Marvel movies (or 'Phase 1' as they want to call it), it was the one I enjoyed the most. Technically, cinematically, it wasn't the best film, but on a personal level I had the most fun.

As mentioned, the sequel's trailer makes things feel awfully sterile and generic, with a bit too much brooding by half. Going by the dialogue and piecing the scenes together, it looks like it's aiming at an Enemy Within angle; Cap' is already an archaic idea in a modern world, so figures he might find himself fighting the very institutions he once have worked with. Either way, I can't say it has me excited tbh...

Same, I adore that film, it's due a rewatch soon. It's one of those films I never want to see remade, leave it alone, sure it's got horribly dated effects but the whole thing has a gee whizz charm to it it's impossible to not like it.

I like the first Cap movie as well, it also had the best ending credits which should have been the opening credits that year.

Didnt expect this to have so much of sheild in it which is welcome IMO.

Looking forward to it

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The trailer makes it look good, more grounded. We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Otacon wrote: »
    Far more excited for GOTG than this. Both CA and Thor seem to have lost the charm that helped define their previous entries.

Lost their charm? Films haven't even been released yet......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

crybaby wrote: »
    Lost their charm? Films haven't even been released yet......
    Otacon wrote: »

Obviously I am basing this purely on the trailers so it is far from a final judgement.

• Advertisement

its got a nice idea running in it.

steve became cap ,or rather wanted to join up, cause he "doesnt like bullies"

whats he do when his own people are the bullies?

kinda hope they develop that angle.

like the new suit too, the avengers one just looked crap. particularly when the one in the first film worked so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Its leaning more to a spy thriller than anything else because in most of that trailer it looks like Cap and Falcon are fighting SHIELD

and is it me or does anyone else think
    Redfords character could be the Red Skull

• Registered Users Posts: 12,865 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Didnt expect this to have so much of sheild in it which is welcome IMO.

Looking forward to it

:D
    I wonder if we are going to get a cameo from a certain band of Agents?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

flazio wrote: »
    I wonder if we are going to get a cameo from a certain band of Agents?

I hope not, they are complete cheese and dont look like they would fit into this films tone very well, I base this entirely on the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Super Bowl trailer:

Trying not to get my hopes up too much for this, but could be alright!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I do like the look of it, plenty of practical effects in the action scenes by the looks of it (some of them anyway) which is nice.

Bit worried about the director(s) though, like Thor 2 Marvel have gone with relative rookies who have done loads of TV but very little films (only the awful You,Me and Dupree in this case). Thor 2 really felt like Marvel were calling all the shots rather than the director and I've a sneaking feeling that's what will probably happen here too.

James Gunn and Edgar Wright have been attached to their respective films for quite a while so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come from Marvel regarding any future sequels. Would be a shame if they move away from film-makers who will want to bring a bit of their own spin to a character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Can't really go wrong with these films.
    I'd be surprised if it was any worse than "fairly good".

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I do like the look of it, plenty of practical effects in the action scenes by the looks of it (some of them anyway) which is nice.

Bit worried about the director(s) though, like Thor 2 Marvel have gone with relative rookies who have done loads of TV but very little films (only the awful You,Me and Dupree in this case). Thor 2 really felt like Marvel were calling all the shots rather than the director and I've a sneaking feeling that's what will probably happen here too.

James Gunn and Edgar Wright have been attached to their respective films for quite a while so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come from Marvel regarding any future sequels. Would be a shame if they move away from film-makers who will want to bring a bit of their own spin to a character.

I said it before but Marvel's decision to bring in untested directors smacks of them trying to have complete control over the films. I couldn't see Joe Johnston or Kennath Branagh allowing Marvel and Disney execs on set and calling the shots. They're far too established and respected for any of that but the Russo brothers, well I can see them being little more than puppets that simply relay the producers wishes. I really hope that I'm wrong and Captain America is something special but honestly, Thor 2 felt like film making by committee and I fear the worst for Cap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still not entirely sold on this film; the palette & tone just seems a bit too uninteresting in comparison with the first film, and certainly compared with other Marvel films like Thor or Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Mickeroo wrote: »

Seems like part of the grand 'Phase 2' masterplan Marvel are ploughing ahead with. Big ticket directors and screenwriters might derail or stymie Marvel's grand vision with their own ideas, so it's easier (and cheaper!) to insert more malleable, rookie talent behind the lens. This is what happens when a monopoly occurs, fewer risks occur because Marvel know they don't have to; I'm kinda happy Marvel don't have all IPs back in their hands.

Advertisement