Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain America Sequel The Winter Soldier

Options
  • 22-03-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,171 ✭✭✭✭

Robert Redford is now in talks to the join, cool if it happens

Revenge actress Emily VanCamp is in to play Sharon Carter (Steve's love interest)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

And we're getting Falcon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Falcon = Yay. Wonder are they going to have Redwing (In avian form or a mechanical version) with him.

Emily VanCamp = Dead eyed wooden actress that can suck the life out of any scene imo. A blonde Kristen Stewart if you will.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Emily VanCamp = Dead eyed wooden actress that can suck the life out of any scene imo. A blonde Kristen Stewart if you will.

Out of this entire movie....she's the one I'm worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 85,171 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think she is a great actress

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think she is a great actress

If great acting is measures in an ability to express absolutely no emotion at any time then she may just be the greatest actress to ever grace the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

If great acting is measures in an ability to express absolutely no emotion at any time then she may just be the greatest actress to ever grace the screen.

That'd be yer one from twilight

Arawn wrote: »
    That'd be yer one from twilight

To be fair to Stewart she showed a slight bit of emotion in Panic Room. It was fleeting and you'd miss it if you weren't paying attention but it was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

To be fair to Stewart she showed a slight bit of emotion in Panic Room. It was fleeting and you'd miss it if you weren't paying attention but it was there.

Surely nobody paid attention to Panic Room at all though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think Stewart gets an unfair rep because of twilight, she's quite good in a few of her other roles. Into the Wild & Adventureland mainly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a shame unavoidable narrative complications mean we have to lose Hayley Atwell. Not only is she stunning, but I think she showed lots of promise as a more active take on the bog standard wartime love interest (although at the same time it's a shame we have to lose the WW2 at all). The first film mostly avoided the old damsel in distress tropes, which was welcome. Hopefully Portman's character in Thor 2 can pick up some of the slack.

Although it is a little disturbing the Cap'n is going to shack up with another Carter. Keeping it in the family, ey?

• Advertisement

It's a shame unavoidable narrative complications mean we have to lose Hayley Atwell. Not only is she stunning, but I think she showed lots of promise as a more active take on the bog standard wartime love interest (although at the same time it's a shame we have to lose the WW2 at all). The first film mostly avoided the old damsel in distress tropes, which was welcome. Hopefully Portman's character in Thor 2 can pick up some of the slack.

Although it is a little disturbing the Cap'n is going to shack up with another Carter. Keeping it in the family, ey?

Staying faithful to the comics on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I am actually looking forward to this more than the original. I think the direction it was going to take was evident
    the minute Bucky fell off the train
    in TFA. Hopefully with The Winter Soldier in it they lean heavily on the Brubaker run and have heavy S.H.I.E.L.D involvement, and tie it into the current sh*tty economic situation. Would also like to see them end it with
    Bucky being neither The Winter Soldier, or a good guy but just disappearing after a fight with Captain America to come back in the third movie. Could even fit in a spin off movie with him in between the two Captain America movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,070 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1581283-georges-st-pierre-cast-as-villain-in-captain-america-winter-soldier
    Georges St-Pierre has his next assignment, and his opponent is none other than Captain America.

The UFC's defending welterweight champion has signed on to appear in the next installment of the Marvel film franchise surrounding the stars-and-stripes superhero, titled Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

The news of St-Pierre's casting was first reported by Latino Review and later confirmed by Sportsnet reporter Joe Ferraro.

This won't be St-Pierre's first time in front of the camera, as he has been a part of a couple of straight-to-video films in the past, but his role in Captain America: The Winter Soldier will undoubtedly be his biggest starring gig to date.

In the film set for release in April 2014, St-Pierre will play villain Batroc the Leaper, an infamous mercenary in the Captain America universe.

The character, created by legendary Marvel Comics company head Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby, first appeared all the way back in 1966.

Almost like the role was created for St-Pierre, Batroc the Leaper is a French martial artist who specializes in savate kickboxing. Although the character has no superpowers, Batroc has taken on Captain America several times. And at one point in history, he changed sides to become a hero, but it was a short-lived transition.

Batroc the Leaper (photo courtesy of Marvel)
    The film Captain America: The Winter Soldier is based on the 2005 comic book of the same name written by Ed Brubaker in which the All-American hero is confronted by his former comrade, Bucky Barnes, who has been brainwashed and turned into a Soviet assassin code-named The Winter Soldier.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier will be released in 2014, but filming is expected to begin in late April or early May, with filming sites primarily located in Cleveland and Los Angeles.

St-Pierre joins an all-star cast, including Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America, Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/The Black Widow and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.

The first film in the franchise, Captain America: The First Avenger, grossed more than $368 million worldwide.

As far as St-Pierre's time away from fighting to film the movie, it's expected that his character will be a secondary villain in the film, but he could be tied up for several weeks with commitments. St-Pierre could also be called back for reshoots, which happen quite often with a film the size of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

St-Pierre was already planning an extended vacation following his last fight against Nick Diaz at UFC 158, so with this film now in production, it's not likely he will return until fall 2013 for another fight in the Octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

2 hours of St-Pierre wrestling Cap down to the ground and holding him there.

Makes sense to have Batroc as one of Cap's foes in the film. They have a long association in the comics, and he is not a super either.

Would have preferred to have seen Crossbones brought in (given his links with Cap, Sharon Carter and the Red Skull in the comics), but Batroc could prove to be a very capable threat on a physical level as well and his comic links to the likes of Hawkeye/Black Widow could tie in with him being part of an Avengers film in the future.

Georges St-Pierre looks physically right for the part of Batroc ( not sure if they will be using one of the moustace or beards the character often sported) and his day job should mean that he will be convincing in the fight scenes.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Makes sense to have Batroc as one of Cap's foes in the film. They have a long association in the comics, and he is not a super either.

Would have preferred to have seen Crossbones brought in (given his links with Cap, Sharon Carter and the Red Skull in the comics), but Batroc could prove to be a very capable threat on a physical level as well and his comic links to the likes of Hawkeye/Black Widow could tie in with him being part of an Avengers film in the future.

Georges St-Pierre looks physically right for the part of Batroc ( not sure if they will be using one of the moustace or beards the character often sported) and his day job should mean that he will be convincing in the fight scenes.

Crossbones is in it. Being played by Frank Grillo

Crossbones is in it. Being played by Frank Grillo

I managed to miss that. Grillo could be a good fit. Decent actor and has the right look.

Crossbones and Batroc. That makes me happy. Only thing that would make me happier would be news that Van Camp was dropping out to take her horrible acting somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought GSP joining this film was a joke! Surely someone will want a shot at the belt and has to wait until he finishes his filming? Wonder what Dana thinks of it as he didn't want Rousey to do The Hunger Games 2.

Avengers 2 seems so far away!

Iron Man 3 releases April 26th, 2013,
    Thor: The Dark World on November 8, 2013,
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014,
    Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1, 2014 and
    The Avengers 2 on May 1, 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

sheehy83 wrote: »

I'm actually sort of surprised by Thor being released in November. I don't think any of the Avenger films to date have been released outside of the Summer.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'm actually sort of surprised by Thor being released in November. I don't think any of the Avenger films to date have been released outside of the Summer.

Possibly avoiding being released at a similar time to a few of the big summer releases such as a certain DC superhero release in June.

• Advertisement

Batroc is a fairly C-list villain to use though, no?....my main memory of him is Deadpool taking the p*ss out of him, and most recently Gambit taking the p*ss out of him.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Batroc is a fairly C-list villain to use though, no?....my main memory of him is Deadpool taking the p*ss out of him, and most recently Gambit taking the p*ss out of him.

He has been used as everything from serious threat level to comedy villain level by Marvel.

But in the comics he does have some storylines that tied in with Cap, Sharon Carter, Falcon and Hydra that had him as part of a serious threat to Cap, so given that Cap, Carter, and Falcon are in this, I would imagine that we could see some stuff inspired by those storylines.

The inclusion of Crossbones adds another who has a long history with Cap, Careter, and Falcon, but who has a Red Skull link. He also has links with Winter Soldier in the comics. Might even see something that hints at a Death Of Captain America type storyline for the future.

He has been used as everything from serious threat level to comedy villain level by Marvel.

But in the comics he does have some storylines that tied in with Cap, Sharon Carter, Falcon and Hydra that had him as part of a serious threat to Cap, so given that Cap, Carter, and Falcon are in this, I would imagine that we could see some stuff inspired by those storylines.

The inclusion of Crossbones adds another who has a long history with Cap, Careter, and Falcon, but who has a Red Skull link. He also has links with Winter Soldier in the comics. Might even see something that hints at a Death Of Captain America type storyline for the future.

Marvel have done a bit to make their crap villains credible over the past few years so hopefully they do it here. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sin included given her ties to Crossbones, and they are going to need a foil for Carter. Would also like to see a role for Taskmaster, perhaps as a trainer for The Winter Soldier.

Concept art

vlcsnap-2013-04-02-18h07m16s3.png

_tempvlcsnap-2013-04-02-18h09m30s61.png

vlcsnap-2013-04-02-18h05m26s177.png

vlcsnap-2013-04-02-18h03m58s62.png

Captain_America_Winter_Soldier_concept.jpg

New suit

YTu73Tp.jpg

No doubt copied from this one

buckybarnesstyle.jpg

I wish it had the wings :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Concept art
    vlcsnap-2013-04-02-18h05m26s177.png
    Oh god, getting "New Goblin" from Spider-Man 3 vibes off that :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You guys know anything about the Jack Rollins character? Is he just some minor character?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Keno 92 wrote: »
    2 hours of St-Pierre wrestling Cap down to the ground and holding him there.

Captain America 2: Lay n Pray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Avengers 2 seems so far away!

If they keep filling the gap with exciting 'phase 2' movies we'll hardly notice.

Advertisement