Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭vellocet

Wow, what rank did he attain?

Chief of Staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cynical Apathy

For the first time since the useless distraction of 'who would become Ireland's next president' began, it's finally interesting. I'm delighted Martin McGuinness has entered the race and can't see who has achieved more politically.

I don't condone the violent past of Sinn Fein but neither do I condemn them for it. For those who do condemn them for it, I would suggest them take a look at the Catholic families being burned out of their homes in the North in the 60s on Reeling in the Years. They couldn't get jobs, they couldn't get houses and thousands were made refugees. It was a terrible time to be an Irish person living in Northern Ireland, Sinn Fein fought back and now it's not!

They negotiated peace, decommissioned and ceased hostilities and are now a democratically elected party. I can also accept what someone said earlier about how they managed the tough challenge of transition from a paramilitary orginisation to a political one. I didn't vote for them in the last election because I didn't think they had a credible plan for government. Despite that, I think they are the most patriotic party. They were the only party who said no to Lisbon (even while we were told to vote yes for jobs in the second one, lol) and I don't think they would be easily swayed by the rampant cronyism that's poisoning Ireland's other parties.

Sean Gallagher was on Newstalk earlier saying he would be justified to take the complete salary that comes with the job (I think all the rest said the same). He didn't sound very convincing, you would think a 'Dragon' like himself wouldn't need such an astronomical pay packet while M. McG. said he would only take the average industrial wage. This mightn't sway many people but it speaks volumes to me.

If Martin McGuiness gets elected, which I think he will and Sinn Fein come up with a genuine and intelligent plan for government they could, and probably will share one next time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

vellocet wrote: »
    Chief of Staff.

I think there must be some mistake as Chief of Staff is a role, not a rank in the Irish Army. The Chief of Staff is a Lieutenant General.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

For the first time since the useless distraction of 'who would become Ireland's next president' began, it's finally interesting. I'm delighted Martin McGuinness has entered the race and can't see who has achieved more politically.

I don't condone the violent past of Sinn Fein but neither do I condemn them for it. For those who do condemn them for it, I would suggest them take a look at the Catholic families being burned out of their homes in the North in the 60s on Reeling in the Years. They couldn't get jobs, they couldn't get houses and thousands were made refugees. It was a terrible time to be an Irish person living in Northern Ireland, Sinn Fein fought back and now it's not!

They negotiated peace, decommissioned and ceased hostilities and are now a democratically elected party. I can also accept what someone said earlier about how they managed the tough challenge of transition from a paramilitary orginisation to a political one. I didn't vote for them in the last election because I didn't think they had a credible plan for government. Despite that, I think they are the most patriotic party. They were the only party who said no to Lisbon (even while we were told to vote yes for jobs in the second one, lol) and I don't think they would be easily swayed by the rampant cronyism that's poisoning Ireland's other parties.

Sean Gallagher was on Newstalk earlier saying he would be justified to take the complete salary that comes with the job (I think all the rest said the same). He didn't sound very convincing, you would think a 'Dragon' like himself wouldn't need such an astronomical pay packet while M. McG. said he would only take the average industrial wage. This mightn't sway many people but it speaks volumes to me.

If Martin McGuiness gets elected, which I think he will and Sinn Fein come up with a genuine and intelligent plan for government they could, and probably will share one next time round.

Yes yes by all means they did, but let's be careful in not making it out that it was only Sinn Féin. If it was not for John Hume (against the wishes of his own parties) Sinn Féin would never have been allowed onto the table.

What makes you think that Sean Gallagher is that rich anyway, sure didn't he get involved in the housing boom too? At least it is a honest reply. He said no way I am taking the lot. It gives us all a chance to see these candidates for who they are. (Assuming McGuinness stands by what he says and does not go to town on expenses)

The interesting question is what happens next for Sinn Féin policies. Aren't they really from the same cloth as Fianna Fáil of 1920's? It will be a while before they get it rights, Gerry Adams will have to take a back seat and allow people like Doherty and MacLaughlin take over.

Anyway this is about the Presidency, about who is the right person, regardless of background etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cynical Apathy

Yes yes by all means they did, but let's be careful in not making it out that it was only Sinn Féin. If it was not for John Hume (against the wishes of his own parties) Sinn Féin would never have been allowed onto the table.

What makes you think that Sean Gallagher is that rich anyway, sure didn't he get involved in the housing boom too? At least it is a honest reply. He said no way I am taking the lot. It gives us all a chance to see these candidates for who they are. (Assuming McGuinness stands by what he says and does not go to town on expenses)

The interesting question is what happens next for Sinn Féin policies. Aren't they really from the same cloth as Fianna Fáil of 1920's? It will be a while before they get it rights, Gerry Adams will have to take a back seat and allow people like Doherty and MacLaughlin take over.

Anyway this is about the Presidency, about who is the right person, regardless of background etc.
    I agree but John Hume is not running for president while McGuinness is going to be judged by some on his past.

Because he's a ''dragon''...lol.

I do agree. I think this is a serious statement and very tactical by Sinn Fein. Gerry Addams was found wanting in the debates in the last election, particularly on the economy. Finally, people are giving up traditional voting in this country and are looking for strong intelligent leadership and genuine future plans which SF didn't have last time. If they get their act together, the sky's the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I am amazed that the old chestnut, "Det Gerry McCabe" has not been used yet.:rolleyes:

Ah yes - 100% pure contempt for law & order and common decency exposed for what it is.

The murder of a Garda is, ladies & gentlemen, just "an old chestnut"

And there lies an insight into the mindset of people who want McGuinness as president.

Get out and vote - be it for Michael D or Mary whoever; just make damn sure that people who disrespect murdered Gardai like this don't get their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Ah yes - 100% pure contempt for law & order and common decency exposed for what it is.

And there lies an insight into the mindset of people who want McGuinness as president.

Get out and vote - be it for Michael D or Mary whoever; just make damn sure that people who disrespect murdered Gardai like this don't get their way.
    Perhaps you should consult MMGs recent comments on McCabe and AGS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well he can preside over inspecting Irish Army officers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It is always used as a political weapon, well past its cell by date by people, who could not really care about the McCabe family and is used to suit their purposes. The IRA, INLA and other forms of the Republican movement killed other members of the Gardaí and one Army Solider. No mention of them is ever made. I surprised that the same people even remember his name. Respect for the Gardaí my arse, you go to any court house on a given day and you will see what respect normall law abiding citizens have for the Gardaí. (Of course, this was murder here)

Other than that, it is well known that Under the Green Book, the IRA were explicitly prohibited from attacking members of the Armed Forces and Gardaí (that obviously does not make their deaths alright).

The is a level of dishonesty in the people you spout it out.

Do you have proof or any remote evidence that actually shows that McGuinness authorized the robberies and attack on the Gardaí?

By the way, my father is related to a member of the Gardaí who were shot dead by the IRA (August 1984), so why don't you just keep your trap shut, eh. Some people are willing to move on. You can't, obviously. Maybe its just as well that you did not live through the civil war years (1921-1923) or was tainted by the aftermath from 1940-1980's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭vellocet

So it is perfectly alright for the nordies to move on and have former gunmen in power, but heaven forbid us in the south have to do the same? Its rank hypocricy.

I think this letter in todays Times sums it up:

Sir, – I have a simple question for Fintan O’Toole. When for years he urged Martin McGuinness and the IRA to renounce violence and pursue their objectives by political means, did he really mean it? – Yours, etc,
    EUGENE McELDOWNEY,
    Abbey Terrace,
    Howth,
    Co Dublin.

• Advertisement

When for years he urged Martin McGuinness and the IRA to renounce violence and pursue their objectives by political means, did he really mean it?

"Because if he won't play by our rules, we can go always back to violence."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

Jackie McDonald seems to have a mature attitutde about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14999249

Maybe we all should have a mature attitude about it..

Some of the anti MMcG and SF comments are a bit childish and some commentators have no memory or do not even want to know about all of the achievemnets over the past 20 years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I'll vote for him. Taking the average industrial wage was the clincher.

He is showing up every other politician up in this country, including our current president.

Well done son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The same bull**** lies and subtle implications that came out of the mouth of Michael McDowell. Tell the truth Liam and shame the divil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

liammur wrote: »
    I'll vote for him. Taking the average industrial wage was the clincher.

He is showing up every other politician up in this country, including our current president.

Well done son.

Will he take the perks/expenses/free house/etc though?

dulpit wrote: »

Jesus, Some people are never happy/satisfied

I would suspect living in the house is part of the role.

Essentially we don't need a president. I'd like if the role was scrapped. The salary that these politicians are claiming is outrageous.

niallers1 wrote: »
    Jesus, Some people are never happy/satisfied

No, but I think him not taking the salary/etc. is a meaningless gesture when compared to everything that comes with the role... It's designed to be a vote grabbing headline, that's all...

It is not a meaningless gesture at all. :confused:

No, but I think him not taking the salary/etc. is a meaningless gesture when compared to everything that comes with the role... It's designed to be a vote grabbing headline, that's all...

Not when it's a party policy. It is actually an attempt to be fair and if it can be waved in the face of those who strip the system for every grubby buck, then haven't they done us all a favour?

• Advertisement

I see where you are coming from.

But look at B Ahern, claiming multiple pensions, huge expenses and FG are allowing it. Something needs to be done. The country needs change. I don't believe in austerity for the dole and boom time for bertie et al.

"Because if he won't play by our rules, we can go always back to violence."

That was then , now it is

"they are very good at playing by our rules, actually quite good, isn't it funny how good they, are using the Courts, they once refused to recognize to get their rights (ie Doherty bye elections case). Now that they are playing by our rules, and it seems to be working, we (ie Labour and Fianna Fáil) now have to watch our seats"

Were is the evidence of Sinn Féin going back to violence?. Somehow, I don't think Mitchell McLaughlin fancies getting his house smashed in for nothing. Gerry Kelly is tipped for big things in the future (who would have known!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnsgone

its a sad state of affairs when we become worried about the wage or benifits the president may or may not take has the role of the office been reduced to that?
    its a weak race that will be up between mc guinness and michael D

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

The opponents of Martin McGuinness might make more headway by confining their attacks on his ability for such an office. His liberties with the English language make me cringe.

His strongest card is his record as a Catholic freedom fighter and that is what his opponents have been attacking. And where is it getting them - other than making themsleves feel better? Smear tactics failed when used against Mary McAleese. Is there any reason to believe that they will work when used against Martin McGuinness?

I would have thought that Mr Michael D Higgins or Mr Gay Mitchell (I hate both of these gentlemen) would have been much more suitable presidents than our Mr McGuinness. Anyway, the Catholic people of Northern Ireland still need Mr McGuinness to kead us until there has been a total end to Protestant privilege.

P.S. I often wonder why the people of Eire are so excitable.

crucamim wrote: »
    Smear tactics failed when used against Mary McAleese.

Mary McAleese was never Chief of Staff of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnsgone

most of his opponents are living in glasshouse with a bucket of stones and are of a highly strung nature ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

niallers1 wrote: »
    It is not a meaningless gesture at all. :confused:

If the most important aspect of the position was that it was unpaid or paid a basic salary, that would be written into the constitution. McGuinness has advertised that he will only take a basic wage in order to buy votes, knowing that he will be more than duly rewarded for achieving the office for Sinn Fein. Oh sorry, this is meant to be apolitical.

The opponents of Martin McGuinness might make more headway by confining their attacks on his ability for such an office. His liberties with the English language make me cringe.

His strongest card is his record as a Catholic freedom fighter and that is what his opponents have been attacking. And where is it getting them - other than making themsleves feel better? Smear tactics failed when used against Mary McAleese. Is there any reason to believe that they will work when used against Martin McGuinness?

I would have thought that Mr Michael D Higgins or Mr Gay Mitchell (I hate both of these gentlemen) would have been much more suitable presidents than our Mr McGuinness. Anyway, the Catholic people of Northern Ireland still need Mr McGuinness to kead us until there has been a total end to Protestant privilege.

Wow, a small bit snobbish

B-b-bertie would have been on the ticket if it wasn't for the Tribunals and the economy. He would have sailed it too, (if all was well). Not many of our politicians would hold a candle to the great orator that is Daniel O'COnnell. Speaking of orators, Barrack Obama is a great orator, but that is it - the gloss is coming off him, he is nothing special (to be fair, tough gig coming in to piece up the pieces with the mess caused by Bush)

His record: I don't recall him making a hems of his time as Minister for Education. So far, he is seen as solid as Deputy Prime Minister. Bar, Mitchell and lesser extent Michael D, he has experience in the cold face of government

Your spot on about Mary Mc, but to be far, as least Fine Gael are consistent on their opposition on anyone who is connected or related or has sympathies with the Republican movement.

Will they work? He will not win, but that will be for reasons of who he is. Yet again, if he refrains from defensive tosh, regardless of how understandable it is (in light of some, he is spot on) he might at least help himself. Some one will need to handle him media wise.

I thought Catholics were equal to Protestant's and discrimination is banned (after all, we are all European's)

as least Fine Gael are consistent on their opposition on anyone who is connected or related or has sympathies with the Republican movement.

Yeah, you'd never catch FG nominating some Nordie Nationalist for President!

• Advertisement

I would have thought that Mr Michael D Higgins or Mr Gay Mitchell (I hate both of these gentlemen) would have been much more suitable presidents than our Mr McGuinness. Anyway, the Catholic people of Northern Ireland still need Mr McGuinness to kead [sic] us until there has been a total end to Protestant privilege.

He killed many people either directly or indirectly. He was rewarded for giving up killing people with the leverage to achieve a cushy political job, which he has held for the last long while.

Ironic that he has hated three governments: Stormont, Westminster and Dublin. He has been part of the government and on the payroll of two (even is his royalty complex means he never turns up at Westminster) and is now attempting the third.

In terms of his ability - well he is good at clandestine talks (even if they often broke down, occasionally leading to honourable Freedom Fighter actions as Bloody Friday). He has not exactly been the greatest bridge-builder with the Protestant community (or to be quite frank, the republic of Ireland). You are right that he takes liberties with the truth - but at least he isn't doing Gerry's embarrassing thing of saying 'I am not and never was in the IRA' - and for that alone he should be... respected.

But ultimately: why use smear when the truth is a cesspit ?

And this country isn't called Eire, and we aren't called 'Eire-folk' btw, but then again, you already knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah, you'd never catch FG nominating some Nordie Nationalist for President!

Don't think chicken currie really counted

And this country isn't called Eire, and we aren't called 'Eire-folk' btw, but then again, you already knew that.
    Hate to do this, but in fact this country has 2 names. Ireland (in English) and Éire (in Irish). It's not called the Republic of Ireland, but that is it's description.

Hate to do this, but in fact this country has 2 names. Ireland (in English) and Éire (in Irish). It's not called the Republic of Ireland, but that is it's description.

And I do not hate doing this but

THe Constitution says when speaking the English language, the name of the Country is Ireland. When speaking Irish, the name of the country is Eire. You are speaking English the last time I checked, no

If you are speaking in the English language, what do you call Wales or Germany? Do you refer to them by the names / translations that they are also known as.? If not, why not?

The British have been known, in the past to persist on using Eire until recently. It was used as a term of insult, or a reference to the division of the country, or ignorance.

THe EU refers this country as "Ireland" and not "Eire".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 myself69

The British have been known, in the past to persist on using Eire until recently. It was used as a term of insult, or a reference to the division of the country, or ignorance.

THe EU refers this country as "Ireland" and not "Eire".

Regardless, nobody should be ashamed that the country is called Éire. Most British people refer to the country by Éire because that is what is on the stamps.

So it is perfectly alright for the nordies to move on and have former gunmen in power, but heaven forbid us in the south have to do the same? Its rank hypocricy.

No, it's their choice.

They were given the options of those who weren't violence (and murder-innocents) minded people, and they chose not to avail of those options.

I can't understand or explain that choice, but that's the choice they made.

The same as Bush being elected in America.

I can give my opinion of the above, which actually differs very little, but since those people won't be representing me or my country, it naturally means less to me.

However if Bush or Blair or some other warmonger was looking to represent my country, I would be just as vocal re the "no way"....and the fact is that those 2 had a mandate for what they did, unlike the IRA.

• Advertisement

myself69 wrote: »
    Regardless, nobody should be ashamed that the country is called Éire. Most British people refer to the country by Éire because that is what is on the stamps.

OK, let's accept that you have a point....

......now can you explain where the ridiculous "Eirefolk" crap materialised from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

Anyone hear Fintan O'Toole on the Nolan show today? He was badly shown up for his hypocrisy and ended up having a hissy fit and hanging up. Was well out of his depth.

He killed many people either directly or indirectly. He was rewarded for giving up killing people with the leverage to achieve a cushy political job, which he has held for the last long while.

Precisely.

In another thread (which was locked due to the redirecting of all election posts to here) I didn't get a chance to reply to a false comment that was directed at my opinion, asking for proof that McGuinness murdered anyone.

That post was complete hyperbole and deflection, because my post had clearly stated that "he was a member of an organisation that murdered people".

But as usual the truth was twisted to try to make it look like I said something that I didn't.

And whatever about views on murder, that twisting and misdirection by supporters of McGuinness is the part that worries me most - if you don't agree with their viewpoint, they will twist and lie and misrepresent as much as possible.

That said, that ironically shows that they have fully engaged in what passes for politics in this country - challenge and obfuscate any valid questions to which the answer may be awkward to admit.

Anyone hear Fintan O'Toole on the Nolan show today? He was badly shown up for his hypocrisy and ended up having a hissy fit and hanging up. Was well out of his depth.
    No, sounds like something I would enjoy though, I must get the podcast.

Link?

What's the Nolan Show? What station?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Top of rte polls today :D Controversial candidate for the Republic of Ireland's Presidency Martin McGuinness has topped a flash poll carried out by state broadcaster RTE with 5,947 votes.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/poll-shock-sinn-feins-martin-mcguinness-tops-rte-election-vote-for-irish-president-16052938.html#ixzz1Yb7w4yRB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Link?

Ulster radio.

Stephen Nolan show.

I don't think Fintan would be out of his depth.

True, although eire hasn't been the official name for Ireland, in the English language, for more than half a century. I didn't capitalise the r of republic for the reason you outlined. :p

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Link?

In the mean time we can have a laugh at this...

"Its good to get Kevin annoyed" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    "Its good to get Kevin annoyed" :pac:

Absolutely.

Can someone tell me what the significance of the Wombat picture used over that sound clip is?

Hahahhahahaha

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014m077

From 35 mins on, he keeps shouting people down, he throws a complete wobbler and hangs up because he gets made a fool of over his objections to people mentioning Mandela or Dev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I presume British people get letters with stamps that say Deutschland and Espana, Srbija and Norge, is that what they call those countries in day-to-day convos?
    Just sayin.

Really? You are naive.

How many British people would be looking at our stamps. Has the trend of sending money to and Ireland to the UK returned?

It is done intentionally for political reasons and continued by the people through ignorance

Ireland has only one name. It is called Ireland. Its Irish version is called Eire. Sure we might as well all start calling Germany , Duetschland sure, isn't it rather catchy

The only people should should be calling Ireland by its Irish title, are Irish people, or more accurately, those who are speaking Irish at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Precisely.

In another thread (which was locked due to the redirecting of all election posts to here) I didn't get a chance to reply to a false comment that was directed at my opinion, asking for proof that McGuinness murdered anyone.

That post was complete hyperbole and deflection, because my post had clearly stated that "he was a member of an organisation that murdered people".

But as usual the truth was twisted to try to make it look like I said something that I didn't.

And whatever about views on murder, that twisting and misdirection by supporters of McGuinness is the part that worries me most - if you don't agree with their viewpoint, they will twist and lie and misrepresent as much as possible.

That said, that ironically shows that they have fully engaged in what passes for politics in this country - challenge and obfuscate any valid questions to which the answer may be awkward to admit.

No, you refused to respond to any of the posters that called you out on your general comments and failed to back any of them up with evidence.

You are clearly on some sort of mission to connect MMG with every atrocity the IRA committed yet the man himself condemned a lot of wrongs the organisation committed.

Don't let that get in the way of your little crusade though Liam, you had plenty of time to respond to mine and others requests for evidence of your accusations.

You also have a habit of accusing posters of hyperbole and deflection, I chuckled because you and another well known British poster are the biggest culprits of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement