Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    :eek:

Sega Neptune project?

I think I remember reading they can run hot. So something to watch out for (Unless I completely made that up)

Yep, it's time enough I did it I think. Any links to why they run hot? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Heh, I knew I hadn't gone mental. Apparantly the ICs can run hot. So says a lad ove ron Sega-16 who has build some. He usually installs a fan and a few heatsinks.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?9428-sega-neptune!!!!!!!!!!&p=205049&viewfull=1#post205049

Heh, I knew I hadn't gone mental. Apparantly the ICs can run hot. So says a lad ove ron Sega-16 who has build some. He usually installs a fan and a few heatsinks.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?9428-sega-neptune!!!!!!!!!!&p=205049&viewfull=1#post205049

Hmm, this particular mod details only having 1 psu for both. I'm not sure there's enough juice to power a fan also, plus the noise would be off-putting. More thinkage required :(

Master of the Universe

Could always make it airtight and go the oil olive oil cooling route? :D

Could always make it airtight and go the oil olive oil cooling route? :D

:D

weird_pcs_oil_cooled_pc.jpg

Someone near the end of the thread on Sega16 suggested using a Saturn shell instead. Great idea I thought, would allow for better passive cooling also.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The Neptune kind of looks like a mix between a Megadrive 2 and a Sega Saturn. So using a Saturn shell is a pretty interesting route to go down.

sega_neptune-prototype.jpg

You could always gut a CDX (!) and link it up so that the Saturn CD part plays Mega CD games. The Megadrive/32X games could go into the RAM expansion port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Definitely gonna do this this year

DSCN3175.jpg

Edit - Actually, Steve SI's forthcoming 3D printer...I wonder how well it could fabricate a Neptune case if we got the specs/dimensions?

It wouldn't be great for a final product to be honest with the way it layers the plastic during the print. But to prototype a design it's perfect and then send off to be printed by shapeways or someone like that it would be fine.

Shapeways can print in lots of different materials, even gold and silver if you want. And the printers and processes they use are way out of the reach of the normal person right now. There basic plastic printers cost a minimum off 100k.

I've used them before and the prices are ok on most things.

Master of the Universe

I saw a thread somewhere where a guy was trying to make a neptune case. The last I remember, he'd made a clay prototype model and (I think) was sending it off to have to fabricated.

Can't quite remember if he had dimensions or if he was just estimating from the pictures available online.

Edit- ah here it is, was Sega-16 too. Not quite to the standard I remember.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?10231-Project-Poseidon/page2

LOL at the clay shrinking when it dried and the cart not fitting.

I saw a thread somewhere where a guy was trying to make a neptune case. The last I remember, he'd made a clay prototype model and (I think) was sending it off to have to fabricated.

Can't quite remember if he had dimensions or if he was just estimating from the pictures available online.

Edit- ah here it is, was Sega-16 too. Not quite to the standard I remember.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?10231-Project-Poseidon/page2

LOL at the clay shrinking when it dried and the cart not fitting.

Dead link?

A gem I came across while searching the forum for something. You can all thank John Ultimate, he made it

161fez4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

A gem I came across while searching the forum for something. You can all thank John Ultimate, he made it

161fez4.jpg

What the **** were you searching?!

What the **** were you searching?!

The pic of retr0 & sera as avgn & the guitarist. Can't find it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

MY EYES! :mad:

cannot_be_unseen.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Well then.....................
    picture.php?albumid=1882&pictureid=11774

Master of the Universe

Dead link?

Odd!

Pasted again -

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?10231-Project-Poseidon

Hmm, seems to be something to do with their archived threads.

Put project poseidon 32x sega-16 into google and it'll be the first link.

Put project poseidon 32x sega-16 into google Bing

FYP! Your guvnor must be wondering who the rogue agent is! :pac:

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    FYP! Your guvnor must be wondering who the rogue agent is! :pac:

Heh, everyone keeps getting given out to for using Google in work. One girl who sits beside me actually got told by senior management -

'I never want to see that logo on your screen again'

Bit hard to stop using something so fundamental to your every day life for over a decade though! I've tried my best in work to use Bing, but when I want to search something, 'www.google.com' just automatically appears in the address bar. It's finger muscle memory at this point. Absolutely no control over it!

Heh, everyone keeps getting given out to for using Google in work. One girl who sits beside me actually got told by senior management -

'I never want to see that logo on your screen again'

Bit hard to stop using something so fundamental to your every day life for over a decade though! I've tried my best in work to use Bing, but when I want to search something, 'www.google.com' just automatically appears in the address bar. It's finger muscle memory at this point. Absolutely no control over it!

Bing is actually a bloody good search engine. Another reason I am really warming to Windows Phone.

Actually cannot wait to get a Lumia 900 in March (rumoured UK release date). Awesome phone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Got the retro itch again and noticed I'm missing a Mortal game for my snes collection, so opinions on the best one to get? I think I remember 2 being the best one but I'm not sure :)

Bing is actually a bloody good search engine. Another reason I am really warming to Windows Phone.

Actually cannot wait to get a Lumia 900 in March (rumoured UK release date). Awesome phone. :)

Had a super secret demo of the Lumia 900 yesterday from a client. It's a very nice phone man. I like my iPhone 4S but the Lumia made me smile when I held it.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Had a super secret demo of the Lumia 900 yesterday from a client. It's a very nice phone man. I like my iPhone 4S but the Lumia made me smile when I held it.

Have you seen the #smokedbywindowsphone campaign at CES?

The Lumia 900 absolutely DEFECATES on every phone out on the market today, and by some way too.

Call me a sucker for a good marketing campaign, but as you said in your own words, it's some phone isn't it? Mango really made all the difference.

My iPhone is getting fecked out the second that cheeky pup launches in the UK, never mind Ireland! (Unless it's a simulaunch of course).

It'll all come down to the apps and apps marketplace really.
    Anyway, the more top class phones we have out there the better.

Also, as I just past my 2000th post on boards:

2000%20posts.jpg

It'll all come down to the apps and apps marketplace really.
    Anyway, the more top class phones we have out there the better.

...which Windows Phone is sorely lacking. I think this year though will see a big increase in apps and games for it.

Let's face it though, as great as Android and Apple marketplaces are, how many of the apps are total pony? Especially on the Android marketplace!

...which Windows Phone is sorely lacking. I think this year though will see a big increase in apps and games for it.

Let's face it though, as great as Android and Apple marketplaces are, how many of the apps are total pony? Especially on the Android marketplace!

Microsoft are really trying to entice devs to windows phone though. If they push enough money at it I'm sure this time next year it'll be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

continuing on with my "xbox r best evar" postings here, i have done this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056529989

everything looks amazeballs now, also a decent little system for 720p when you have a transcoding upnp server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

weeder wrote: »
    continuing on with my "xbox r best evar" postings here, i have done this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056529989

everything looks amazeballs now, also a decent little system for 720p when you have a transcoding upnp server.
    Interesting
    Will XBMC run at 720p with this mod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Forgot about modding old Xboxes, raspberry pi is the future :) Looking forward to getting my hands on a few.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Forgot about modding old Xboxes, raspberry pi is the future :) Looking forward to getting my hands on a few.

I'm pretty excited about this myself.It looks like a brilliant little thing to mess around with. I just hope no ones expecting any miracles when it comes to emulators though ps1 or n64 would require an awful lot of optimisation to run well.

Maybe I'm missing something here but what does this do that the Xbox component cable doesn't do. Genuine question and I'm not been a bitch :o

I run my xbox over component and it supports 720p and 1080.

Also raspberry pi is looking interesting, been following it for a little while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Interesting
    Will XBMC run at 720p with this mod?

it will, it will also playback pretty much anything through a transcoding media server like tversity or ps3mediaserver in 720p, the xbox itself can only handle 1 or 2 720p formats but since the servers processor does the work everything streams in an xbox friendly format.
    Maybe I'm missing something here but what does this do that the Xbox component cable doesn't do. Genuine question and I'm not been a bitch :o

I run my xbox over component and it supports 720p and 1080.

Also raspberry pi is looking interesting, been following it for a little while now.

em nothing much, id just rather not buy a component cable, that ill probabaly lose anyway,and i get impatient waiting for the postman. same reason people do this on most retro consoles.I also got bored. and its easier switching between component devices this way.

HOLY FCKING ****BALLS i did not realise that thing would run xbmc let decode 1080p without any stuttering, definitely want one now, i wonder how limited it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

one of the lads sent me a photo on FB of his friend's new tattoo
    398488_10150640869766209_521736208_11116291_916514756_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nuxxx wrote: »
    Got the retro itch again and noticed I'm missing a Mortal game for my snes collection, so opinions on the best one to get? I think I remember 2 being the best one but I'm not sure :)

Super Street Fighter 2. Mortal Kombat is gash but if you must 2 is playable which is more than can be said about the rest.

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »
    one of the lads sent me a photo on FB of his friend's new tattoo
    398488_10150640869766209_521736208_11116291_916514756_n.jpg

Atavans wins

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to wonder how well that tatt is going to age.
    Y'all aren't going to stay young forever!
    I guess he/she can have the colour topped up every decade or so, keep it nice and bright.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I guess he/she can have the colour topped up every decade or so, keep it nice and bright.

Nothing ages well. Not in A&R anyway

This app is free. Got it last night, deadly game! (iCade compatible too by the way).

http://xionchannel.no-ip.org/hm/

Even has scanlines!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Of course tattoos will fade over years but like you say a touch up and it's fine. Plus keeping it out of the sun helps too.

Pfft, I'll always be young. At least among you lot :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nothing ages well. Not in A&R anyway except Ciderman, our beloved mod

I just did a little minor editing, I know you meant to mention it but forgot so I figured I'd save you the trouble and stuff... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Square Enix have joined GoG. Dues Ex and Hitman are on the store. Hope there's more Eidos games. It also means we could see Thief 1 and 2 on the store as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I got to play Mindball this morning.

You have to use your brainwaves to move a ball into your opponents goal. Looks like this:

VImage000.jpg

Was a lot of fun... very hard not to crack up laughing.

You sure you use your mind though? I know another computer, think the VCS had a 'mind control' device but all it measured was the muscles straining around your head. It's very easy to fake. Anyway I'm interested if a bit scpetical.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You sure you use your mind though? I know another computer, think the VCS had a 'mind control' device but all it measured was the muscles straining around your head. It's very easy to fake. Anyway I'm interested if a bit scpetical.

Atari mind link? I would post a link but I'm on my phone.

Was a basic level EEG. Just 3 diodes on the thing.

Straining would make you lose very fast as the object is to calm your brain activity in order to move the ball. Would like to see it swapped though and see how excited you could get to move the thing.

I kept telling the girl I was playing against to think about christmas to ruin her chances of keeping her brain waves under control. Was at the Dublin City of Science launch.

Sounds like a good bit of fun :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DinoRex wrote: »
    Was a basic level EEG. Just 3 diodes on the thing.

Straining would make you lose very fast as the object is to calm your brain activity in order to move the ball. Would like to see it swapped though and see how excited you could get to move the thing.

I kept telling the girl I was playing against to think about christmas to ruin her chances of keeping her brain waves under control. Was at the Dublin City of Science launch.
    That plus the eye tracking thing I heard about before could give us some interesting arcade games....

I was hoping to make the other persons head explode like in the movie Scanners but I'm not good enough yet.

And speaking of things that will make your head explode here's the box art for Mario Party 9:

HLdNU.jpg

Clearly the phrase 'tone it down' doesn't exist in the Nintendo offices.

I actually cant look directly at that cover......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement