Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterhouse Chocolate truffle stout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

I had a half pint of it last year, don't think I'll be pushed to try it this year. Not when they have Plain and Wrasslers, both of which I find fuller in body and flavour. For a 'chocolate truffle stout', you'd expect it to be hefty and indulgent and bold, but it wasn't any of those. Well, not for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

had a half of this on Thursday, actually really glad i didn't get a full pint. found it lacking compared to last year (from my memory).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

2 years ago i couldnt get enough of it. Last year and this year arent great. Drinkable but for my taste far too bitter. Im a stout fan and its the type of beer id go for but didnt enjoy it as much. Maybe my tastes have changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

MrGee wrote: »
    2 years ago i couldnt get enough of it. Last year and this year arent great. Drinkable but for my taste far too bitter. Im a stout fan and its the type of beer id go for but didnt enjoy it as much. Maybe my tastes have changed!

So that's one vote for too sweet, and one for too bitter!

I do think it lacks body/mouthfeel all the same. No objection from me on the sweetness/bitterness front.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a taste of this year's one.
    Cadbury's drinking chocolate.
    Just really not my thing.
    Don't like Young's dcs either.

A dark chocolate truffle stout might be my thing but who makes it?
    (I'm thinking bitter, buttery, salty, slightly sweet and intensely dark chocolately)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

2015 bump! It'll be at the beer festival in the RDS from Friday week, and presumably in the bars around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Didn't enjoy either of the last two year's brew so will be serving this altogether from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone tasted this years vintage yet? Might be heading somewhere on Sunday that has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Trond wrote: »
    Anyone tasted this years vintage yet? Might be heading somewhere on Sunday that has it.

I'll be having some tomorrow anyway, hopefully early enough to report back coherently.:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Trond wrote: »
    Anyone tasted this years vintage yet?
    Had it at the RDS. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Had a few. Very nice. By far the most milk chocolatly beer I've ever tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Had it at the festival in the RDS . One of the nicest drinks i have ever had. So smooth....

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

It's on draught in the Cock'n'Bull in Raheny. Had a few pints last night- it's really really good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

toffeeshel wrote: »
    It's on draught in the Cock'n'Bull in Raheny. Had a few pints last night- it's really really good

Was there on Sunday. Thought it was lovely stuff as did a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Had a taste of this year's one.
    Cadbury's drinking chocolate.
    Just really not my thing.
    Don't like Young's dcs either.

A dark chocolate truffle stout might be my thing but who makes it?
    (I'm thinking bitter, buttery, salty, slightly sweet and intensely dark chocolately)

Tried it the other day, but went on the Wrasslers, tastes like Young's artificial choco taste imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Tried it last night, i like it. Not some i would drink for the whole night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

After reading loads here about chocolate stout, I dashed out as quick as I could to grab a few bottles with the idea of a few pints in the Porterhouse soon if I liked it.

Talk about a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

After reading loads here about chocolate stout, I dashed out as quick as I could to grab a few bottles with the idea of a few pints in the Porterhouse soon if I liked it.

Talk about a disappointment.

Do PH bottle it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

oblivious wrote: »
    Tried it last night, i like it. Not some i would drink for the whole night

I tried it at the same place as you, so we got pints from the same barrel.

I hated it, tasted so fake or like they'd dumped a load of bourneville into a pint of wrasslers.

Simon from Anarchy thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

dumped a load of bourneville into a pint of wrasslers

You say that as if it's a bad thing:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

lk67 wrote: »
    Do PH bottle it?

No but I tried a few other bottled chocolate stouts. Each to their own, but stout sure as hell isn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

No but I tried a few other bottled chocolate stouts. Each to their own, but stout sure as hell isn't for me.

Ah, grand. Well there was only one way to find out!

Going to try the PH version when I'm in Dublin next weekend. Loved it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I hated it, tasted so fake or like they'd dumped a load of bourneville into a pint of wrasslers.

Well they have to get the chocolate in there some how ;) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I was in Maguire's in Athlone on the Saturday of the Easter weekend and had a couple of pints of the Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout that evening. I enjoyed it so much I went back for more on the Sunday night and drank several pints of the stuff. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Still some left in the Headline but hurry, Jeff is down to the last 2 kegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Got a pint of it after work yesterday evening in the Porterhouse on Nassau St. Lovely stuff indeed. It pained me to leave after just the one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I always find that the second pint is much nicer than the first. The first must cleanse the palate.

Have never been a fan of their choc truffle stout.

Their Celebration Stout however, I would do unspeakable acts to get my hands on some.

Recently I've tried the PH Central, Deveneys and a few other spots and not a drop of it was to be had :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maynard wrote: »
    Have never been a fan of their choc truffle stout.

Their Celebration Stout however, I would do unspeakable acts to get my hands on some.

Recently I've tried the PH Central, Deveneys and a few other spots and not a drop of it was to be had :/

I have some cellaring ;)

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    I have some cellaring ;)

I will find you...And I will steal your grog.

Advertisement