Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Thread - I want! I want! I want!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ferguson calls for investigation in to the Zeki transfer. Can you imagine if that happened to Levy or a Simon Jordan? World War 3. If it happened to a Peterborough or a Colchester there would be people up in arms.

What was the rumoured fee when UTd and Spurs tried to do deal?

Was it in the same region as the rumoured £4mil that took him to Spurs this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ferguson calls for investigation in to the Zeki transfer. Can you imagine if that happened to Levy or a Simon Jordan? World War 3. If it happened to a Peterborough or a Colchester there would be people up in arms.

On what possible grounds? United sold him, thats the end of it in regards to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Blatter wrote: »
    Fiorantina have signed Giuseppe Rossi. Hope it works out for him after those two bad injuries.
    I bet they got him for a song. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭val_jester

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    On what possible grounds? United sold him, thats the end of it in regards to them.

I presume Fergie is annoyed that Spurs quite clearly didn't want to meet the fee United wanted so they went to Liege and asked them to buy him on the cheap, and that they would then purchase him off Liege in Jan, with Liege making a profit, Spurs not having to pay Utd want they wanted and the added bonus of screwing Utd over.

In terms of transfers, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any clubs from the Premier League trying to buy Omar Gonzalez from LA Galaxy, he is a beast of a defender, only 24, scores goals, a good leader and likely to improve if he went to the right club.

val_jester wrote: »
    I presume Fergie is annoyed that Spurs quite clearly didn't want to meet the fee United wanted so they went to Liege and asked them to buy him on the cheap, and that they would then purchase him off Liege in Jan, with Liege making a profit, Spurs not having to pay Utd want they wanted and the added bonus of screwing Utd over.

Or Liege wanted him themselves at the time? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I bet they got him for a song. :mad::mad:

£7m I think.

Or Liege wanted him themselves at the time? :confused:

Then, I think it is unlikely that they would have sold him at the very next window to a club who had taken him on trial and only refused to sign him due to the size of the fee they were asked to pay.

He only played 7 games for Liege, and by all accounts wasn't overly impressive.

val_jester wrote: »
    Then, I think it is unlikely that they would have sold him at the very next window to a club who had taken him on trial and only refused to sign him due to the size of the fee they were asked to pay.

He only played 7 games for Liege, and by all accounts wasn't overly impressive.

It happens. Look at Robbie Keane, went to Liverpool then back to Spurs first chance he got. Moves dont always work out.

Look at it from Liege's point of view too. Sign a player who looks to have potential. He doesnt do the job and is home sick. Get an offer of more than what you paid for him. Unless you expected him to turn into a world beater, who the hell wouldnt take it?

It happens. Look at Robbie Keane, went to Liverpool then back to Spurs first chance he got. Moves dont always work out.

Look at it from Liege's point of view too. Sign a player who looks to have potential. He doesnt do the job and is home sick. Get an offer of more than what you paid for him. Unless you expected him to turn into a world beater, who the hell wouldnt take it?

It would be extremely naive to think that's what happened, I don't really have a problem with what Spurs did, but I still maintain that it is an awful lot of effort for an, average at best, youngster. The fee United were asking for Fryers was ridiculous, and he would probably have been loaned out anyway, so this was a way for Spurs to get him on the cheap.

To compare it to Keane's move isn't a good comparison, its a totally different situation.

• Advertisement

Nah, when you look at everything that happened in the Summer (and leading up to it) it's very clear what went on here.

Fryers was out of contract with United last Summer. It was clear Spurs wanted to sign him, but they had to agree a compensation package with United (or let a tribunal decide) because of his age.

Instead, they struck up a deal with Liege. They sign him on the cheap (as compensation rules aren't the same when foreign clubs are involved) and then sell him to Spurs at the very next chance they get. That way, Liege get a bit of money from Spurs (and get a player for a few months), Spurs end up getting the player for cheaper than if they had gotten him directly from United, and United get shafted.

It was legal, but clearly a very blatant underhanded way to go about things and I can guarantee you that there'd be uproar on this forum if the roles were reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

We didn't sell him. He left on a free, had he went to Spurs we would of received compensation. Instead he spent a few weeks with the Spurs squad and even lined out for the Development squad in July and then signed for Liege.

If you can't see how dodgy that is then I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

It was legal.

Yeah, that'll do for me. I just can't get outraged about this. Seems that relations between ourselves and Spurs are pretty dreadful at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

We didn't sell him. He left on a free, had he went to Spurs we would of received compensation. Instead he spent a few weeks with the Spurs squad and even lined out for the Development squad in July and then signed for Liege.

If you can't see how dodgy that is then I give up.

People can see how dodgy it is, they just dont give a **** cause its United, if it were the other way around there would be uproar over this.

Says more about them really.

I am more bothered by Spuds getting one up on the club then anything, and flaunting it in this fashion.

Yeah, that'll do for me. I just can't get outraged about this. Seems that relations between ourselves and Spurs are pretty dreadful at the minute.

I'm not outraged over it, I just agree with Fergie that it's a clear manipulation of the rules, rules that were put in place for a very good reason and something should be done to avoid it happening in the future.

I'm not outraged over it, I just agree with Fergie that it's a clear manipulation of the rules, rules that were put in place for a very good reason and something should be done to avoid it happening in the future.

It's legal yet it's a manipulation of the rules? Ethically there's an issue here, maybe. That's being generous. He was out of contract so he moved to Liege. Now Spurs have signed him. This is within the limitations on player movements within a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Fantastic opportunism by Levy in fairness.

The man is some mover.

Was he any good?

Did the club (utd)want him to stay/offer improved terms and contract?

How much did Leige get him for in the end?

Bebe says hello.

That was perfectly "legal" too.

I'd say most clubs would chance their arm like Spurs did tbf.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fantastic opportunism by Levy in fairness.

The man is some mover.

He has already been shown up as not the transfer market guru already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

kryogen wrote: »

He has already been shown up as not the transfer market guru already
    Yea but compared to what they are used to, the man is a f**king mastermind :pac:

• Advertisement

I hate to defend Spurs but I really dont see what they did wrong. To me it just seems like Fergie is pissed that Spurs got the player they wanted and United didnt benefit. United let him go, what happens to him after that is none of their business.

Leiva wrote: »
    Was he any good?

He was ok. Did fine in the Carling Cup.

We didn't exactly kill ourselves.

It might even have been as low as a quarter of a million. Certainly it was a nominal fee. Compensation between clubs is lower if the player's new club isn't in England.

I'm going to need the supposed link between Fryers and Bebe explained to me.

It's legal yet it's a manipulation of the rules? Ethically there's an issue here, maybe. That's being generous. He was out of contract so he moved to Liege. Now Spurs have signed him. This is within the limitations on player movements within a season.

You make it sound like he moved to Liege without Spurs knowing or having anything got to do with it :D

For me, it's clearly against the spirit of the rules that were put in place. Ask yourself, what's the point in the compo rules in the first place if this can easily be done?
    Was he any good?

He won't go on to be anything special imo, average enough tbh. I think he was offered a new contract of about something like 2k/week with no guarantee of first team involvement, which he turned down. I don't think it's been revealed how much Liege got out of the deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Bebe says hello.

United paid 7 million for that lad, I think United did it wrong if your comparing the transfers/saying they are the same (they are not the same).

Also as most sensible posters have said on the actual Topic. It is dodgy even though its legal. The rules should be tightened up to protect all clubs and players. Spurs are not going to get in an trouble for this but that doesn't mean they should be allowed to do it again.

You make it sound like he moved to Liege without Spurs knowing nothing or having anything got to do with it :D

We'd have some time trying to prove that.
    For me, it's clearly against the spirit of the rules that were put in place. Ask yourself, what's the point in the compo rules in the first place if this can easily be done?

Well, quite.

He won't go on to be anything special imo, average enough tbh. I think he was offered a new contract of about something like 2k/week with no guarantee of first team involvement, which he turned down. I don't think it's been revealed how much Liege got out of the deal.

No big deal then and if anything it's Spurs loss.

If he wasn't rated a few months ago then what's changed to justify the outrage?

I really can't see this as being a major contraversory if the rolls were reversed.
    If anything I would see the majority of UTD fans asking why you were paying £4mil for a Spurs reject that wasn't rated a few weeks ago.

Bebe says hello.

Don't see how this can be compared to the Bebe transfer in any way, he wasn't out of contract, nor was the club he was bought from fooked over.

Most clubs would chance their arm like Spurs did? There have been numerous opportunities for clubs do have done just that over the last several years, but this is the only time I can remember it being done.

No big deal then and if anything it's Spurs loss.

If he wasn't rated a few months ago then what's changed to justify the outrage?

I really can't see this as being a major contraversory if the rolls were reversed.
    If anything I would see the majority of UTD fans asking why you were paying £4mil for a Spurs reject that wasn't rated a few weeks ago.

I don't think people care about losing Fryers, I certainly don't anyway. Regardless of how good or bad the lad is, rules are in place to compensate clubs that developed young players if they're to move to another English club when their contract expires.

Spurs bypassed this rule in an underhand manner, that's as clear as day. It's more got to do with the principal of the whole thing rather than losing Fryers. Rules should be put in place to prevent this type of thing happening in the future. Not because United got fooked over, but because it'd be unfair for it to happen to any other club. The rules are there in the first place primarily to protect the smaller clubs from losing their best young players for nothing, they won't be protected if other clubs follow Levy's way of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Bebe says hello.

What a stupid comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I don't think people care about losing Fryers, I certainly don't anyway. Regardless of how good or bad the lad is, rules are in place to compensate clubs that developed young players if they're to move to another English club when their contract expires.

Spurs bypassed this rule in an underhand manner, that's as clear as day. It's more got to do with the principal of the whole thing rather than losing Fryers. Rules should be put in place to prevent this type of thing happening in the future. Not because United got fooked over, but because it'd be unfair for it to happen to any other club. The rules are there in the first place primarily to protect the smaller clubs from losing their best young players for nothing, they won't be protected if other clubs follow Levy's way of doing things.

Rules?

Something fergie has forgotten quite a lot lately..

• Advertisement

Ferguson looking for the FA to look into it and the "phone trail". Some neck tbh.

Didn't Jaap Stam admit he was tapped up by united?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ferguson is making some accusation there, who does the burden of proof lie with?

#yougotlevyed trending on Twitter

Ferguson looking for the FA to look into it and the "phone trail". Some neck tbh.

Didn't Jaap Stam admit he was tapped up by united?

Most players are tapped up in the modern game, I thought everybody knew this? It's not right but it's a done thing.

Striking up deals with foreign clubs in an effort to avoid paying training compensation isn't a done thing. I don't know why you, or others, are comparing the two. They are two different situations.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Ferguson is making some accusation there, who does the burden of proof lie with?

I doubt a jury would take too long to come to a conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rarnes all over this like an outraged cock rash.

I doubt a jury would take too long to come to a conclusion.

LOL, wheres the evidence?

If all Ferguson has is what he thinks Levy has done then he'll be facing a defamation of character lawsuit and bringing the game into disrepute charge from the FA :rolleyes:

Most players are tapped up in the modern game, I thought everybody knew this? It's not right but it's a done thing.

Striking up deals with foreign clubs in an effort to avoid paying training compensation isn't a done thing. I don't know why you, or others, are comparing the two. They are two different situations.

I know that tapping up occurs all the time.

I'm highlighting Fergusons hypocrisy over deals. Maybe not a deal that happened exactly like this but underhand deals that I'm sure píssed off fans of other clubs.

Have Spurs done anything illegal here?

#yougotlevyed trending on Twitter

did give me a giggle

but seriously, look at this from your own clubs perspective, City want Sterling, refuse to pay you compensation so the deal does not take place, Sterling spends all summer with City then at the last minute signs for Liege, and at the first opportunity he signs for City. Giving you nothing. Is it right?

Though Sterling is actually a product of another academy I think? Point stands its not right and its going to be smaller clubs that lose out if something isnt done to ensure it wont happen again

• Advertisement

I know that tapping up occurs all the time.

I'm highlighting Fergusons hypocrisy over deals. Maybe not a deal that happened exactly like this but underhand deals that I'm sure píssed off fans of other clubs.

Have Spurs done anything illegal here?

Then what you're saying is that practically no PL manager would have the right to complain about this sort of thing because they've all tapped players up before and are hypocrites. It doesn't work like that.

It's been already clarified that Spurs have done nothing illegal, I don't think anybody has tried to claim otherwise. It doesn't mean what they did wasn't underhanded and against the spirit of the rules.

did give me a giggle

but seriously, look at this from your own clubs perspective, City want Sterling, refuse to pay you compensation so the deal does not take place, Sterling spends all summer with City then at the last minute signs for Liege, and at the first opportunity he signs for City. Giving you nothing. Is it right?

Though Sterling is actually a product of another academy I think? Point stands its not right and its going to be smaller clubs that lose out if something isnt done to ensure it wont happen again

I'm not saying it's fair.

It's a situation carefully exploited by Spurs but was it illegal?

Then what you're saying is that practically no PL manager would have the right to complain about this sort of thing because they've all tapped players up before and are hypocrites. It doesn't work like that.

It's been already clarified that Spurs have done nothing illegal, I don't think anybody has tried to claim otherwise. It doesn't mean what they did wasn't underhanded and against the spirit of the rules.

He can complain but as it's not illegal it's a moot point.

I would consider tapping up underhand also.

I'm not saying it's fair.

It's a situation carefully exploited by Spurs but was it illegal?

Who exactly has claimed it was illegal?

He can complain but as it's not illegal it's a moot point.

I would consider tapping up underhand also.

Tapping up is underhand but generally very subtle (if it's done right!) and it's near impossible to stop so there isn't really much point in complaining about it. What Spurs did is blatant though, and could more than likely be easily proven. I think rules could be brought in to prevent it happening in the future, unlike with tapping up.

Who exactly has claimed it was illegal?

Fergie calling for the FA to look into it, stop the registration and examine the paper/phone trail.

If it's legal(which it is) what grounds has he on asking for this?

• Advertisement

Fergie has a moan and all the ManU supporters want Spurs punished for something that wasnt illegal!

Last thing we need is Ferguson, the ****ing hypocrite, giving a speech about ethics :rolleyes:

Fergie has a moan and all the ManU supporters want Spurs punished for something that wasnt illegal!

Last thing we need is Ferguson, the ****ing hypocrite, giving a speech about ethics :rolleyes:

Can you show me one United fan on here that has called for Spurs to be punished? Cheers.

He asked to stop the registration? where? didnt read that

calling for the FA to look into it and following records etc is fine, hopefully they can put something in place to stop this kind of flagrant rule bending in future

You sir are a liar

He asked to stop the registration? where? didnt read that

calling for the FA to look into it and following records etc is fine, hopefully they can put something in place to stop this kind of flagrant rule bending in future

Putting something in place fair enough, stopping the registration no. Just needs to suck this one up and screw Spurs over in the next deal with them!
    "It is a blatant manipulation of the situation. They tried to buy him from us at the end of last season but we couldn't agree terms. Then they took him on trial, came back from Portugal and said they couldn't afford him.

"All of a sudden he signed for Standard Liege but I expected him to go to Tottenham in the January window.

"The league should look into it. They should stop the registration until they examine it. There will be a trail. Either mobile phones or something. It is obvious to me."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/alex-ferguson-calls-on-premier-league-to-block-zeki-fryers-move-to-tottenham-3342798.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement