Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Solid first episode, reminded me a little of Gotham's first ep in the "Hey look, it's The Riddler, now it's The Penguin, and there's Poison Ivy!" Style of appearances.

In Gotham's case it probably needed that, due to BB I don't think BCC did but will still be watching this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Am I the only one who recognised Vaas from Far Cry 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Michael Mando, he's in a show called Orphan Black as well, took me ages to cop who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Michael Mando, he's in a show called Orphan Black as well, took me ages to cop who he was.

I recognised the voice straight away when he first started talking to Saul. looks like he's going to be series regular aswell. Hopefully he bring out some classic Vaas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭squonk

Definitely shaping up well! Episode 1 was a good opener. I feel so sorry for Omaha Saul. It's sad to see him just getting by and keeping the head down when you think he only had about 5 years of real success, if you could call it success.

I've gone nuts now watching out for Walt's car on any exterior or driving scenes. The first episode with Saul driving through the residential area had me glued because I just figured/hoped they were going to do it!

The attention to detail is brilliant. I don't think anything is out of place. I got a bit of a shock in the first episode though when Saul and the two goons were setting up the lady. It was pretty obvious that the lady left the house in a Mercury but the car that hit skateboarder dude was a Ford. I was so disappointed but it was great to see that Vince hadn't let us down and it turned into a plot point!

Great to see Tuco back! The goons were damn lucky to escape with their lives. Slippin' Jimmy's they certaily weren't. If they'd shut their mouths and let Saul talk back in the house they'd all have gotten away I'm sure. The desert scene was really great. Vintage BB. I had to stop at one point and just look at the scene of Tuco and the rest of them standing in the desert and just think "Wow" because the cinematography was just so good! It looked gorgeous!

So, after 2 episodes I more than definitely want more! I was lucky with BB. I started watching it while the show was just finished Season 3 so I could binge watch to my hearts content. Such a great show and I'd love to do that here too. I'm looking forward to seeing where the show will go or, rather, how it gets where it's going! I thought the two skateboard idiots might stick around a while and that Saul would get a few more scams out of them but they were so moronic that they got what they deserved. I can't wait til next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Well I never :D

Knew I knew him from somewhere just couldn't quite place it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Favourite lines from Ep2:

"I'm gonna break their arms and legs"

"Would that fit the crime?"

"I'm chopping off their legs!"

Love psycho Tuco!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Really impressed with this too. Thought the scene with Saul negotiating w Tuco was classic

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

Did anyone notice that Tuco's grandma also played Tony Montana's mother?

miriamcoloninscarface.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Fúcks sake, never realised there was 2 episodes out already. I downloaded episode 2 thinking it was episode 1 and watched it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

squonk wrote: »

Great to see Tuco back! The goons were damn lucky to escape with their lives. Slippin' Jimmy's they certaily weren't. If they'd shut their mouths and let Saul talk back in the house they'd all have gotten away I'm sure. The desert scene was really great. Vintage BB. I had to stop at one point and just look at the scene of Tuco and the rest of them standing in the desert and just think "Wow" because the cinematography was just so good! It looked gorgeous!

Apparently it's incredibly difficult to shoot out in the desert as the direction of the sun changing is more obvious so they are always having to readjust the gear. It gives me a bigger appreciation for such a wonderful scene!
    2ndcoming wrote: »
    Favourite lines from Ep2:

"I'm gonna break their arms and legs"

"Would that fit the crime?"

"I'm chopping off their legs!"

Love psycho Tuco!

And he's not even on Meth yet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The look of joy on Tuco's face when he thinks Jimmy/Saul wants him to give the two lads a Colombian Necktie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so the first black and white mr moustache in the bread cafe scene was after all the breaking bad stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭bren2001

so the first black and white mr moustache in the bread cafe scene was after all the breaking bad stuff?

That is the common consensus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Big enough spoiler on the first paragraph of the show's Wiki regarding where the show will go timeframe wise.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Big enough spoiler on the first paragraph of the show's Wiki regarding where the show will go timeframe wise.

That is the premise of the show and is addressed in the opening scene. It is not really a spoiler and I would expect people to be smart enough to watch the show before looking at wikipedia about it.

I did watch it before I Wiki'd it.

And the opening scene doesnt address that, quote,
    "Better Call Saul is about small-time lawyer Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk), seven years before his appearance on Breaking Bad, though events during and after the original series are also explored"

I did watch it before I Wiki'd it.

And the opening scene doesnt address that, quote,
    "Better Call Saul is about small-time lawyer Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk), seven years before his appearance on Breaking Bad, though events during and after the original series are also explored"

So you think the opening scene is set before the events of BB?

What do we know as facts then from the opening scene? Saul is working in a Cinnabon in Omaha Nebraska. The rest is from BB, its spoilered until a mod says we can talk about BB:
    Ed, the extractor creates Saul a fake ID with a Nebraska drivers license
    Saul explicitly states: "If I’m lucky, a month from now, best-case scenario, I’m managing a Cinnabon in Omaha"
    Both are taken directly from
    Granite State

Maybe it is just a coincidence but the opening scene for me shows we are dealing with post BB.

bren2001 wrote: »
    So you think the opening scene is set before the events of BB?

No of course not.

What the Wiki spoils is it confirms that
    it will have some events happening from during the BB timeline.

I wasnt aware of that and it would have been a nice surprise. That's all.

No of course not.

How else would you expect them to link
    before and after BB? We need to see how Walt effected Sauls business and development

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    How else would you expect them to link
    before and after BB? We need to see how Walt effected Sauls business and development

A simple time jump of course. Gilligan does them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

No of course not.

Oh my gawd.

somuj wrote: »
    Oh my gawd.

Mind blowing isn't it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

This is not just All About Saul or Just Call Saul. It also has the potential to tie up loose ends from Breaking Bad. I'm into BB spoiler territory here :
    Why was Gus immune from the cartel ? I hypoticised Chilean government connections during BB. Is that near the mark...half a head?
    Mike, where do you come from and how do you fit in ? We know you were a cop who probably mixed up the catching drug dealers vs.protecting and killing drug dealers lesson. But fill in the gaps while we read a heavy book and sink beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

How was Gus
    "immune from the Cartel" exactly? They ambushed his delivery trucks & tried to kill him? Or are you talking solely about the flashback scene at the pool when he was young?

Custardpi wrote: »
    How was Gus
    "immune from the Cartel" exactly? They ambushed his delivery trucks & tried to kill him? Or are you talking solely about the flashback scene at the pool when he was young?

BB Spoilers :
    Remember the scene after the execution of his boyfriend when the cartel boss says something along the lines of "You'd be dead but I know who you are".
    They played silly buggers but they did fear him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Yeah, I remember that.
    I always got the impression that his family were important players, possibly in the criminal world itself or linked to it in some way. Must go back & look at the scenes of Gus's childhood they did.

Its been awhile since I watched BB. Is there any way they can get
    Gus
    into this prequel without breaking serious continuity?

Its been awhile since I watched BB. Is there any way they can get
    Gus

They have to. He was running the scene in New Mexico long before Walt discovered other uses for test tubes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Is there any way they can get
    Gus

I'm sure they could in some capacity. I doubt he could be as major of a character as he was in Breaking Bad, but he was around.

Advertisement