Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

:( had a look at newish sadans for under €30 and over 220hp and there are only a few Opels and Volvos. I thought things had changed and most cars were outputting this standard now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Torque is the new bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Stheno wrote: »
    Tonight I start my thesis for my masters.

Procrastination will kick in very shortly and my posting on boards will increase exponentially

On a motors related note, remember I was asking about the dipped headlights on the OHs merc? Mechanic reckons it that the casing has faded and needs to be polished and wants me to try that before anything else, anyone know what stuff I am looking for?

Let him do it himself tbh, i know i would.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Let him do it himself tbh, i know i would.

My OH? Are you insane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Torque is the new bhp

True, but I wont be buying a diesel anytime soon, the CLA merc looks like it should be fast but I was surprised at it's low stats.

I think after a few years of owning the Chaser the hassle with insurance companies might persuade me to sell and I will be looking for an Irish/English motor for the convenience. I dont mind paying the 2.5L tax for the 280hp I get now but the new car would have to have simular poke, 200hp is fine for a lighter car.

The Mustang will have been out for a while and the GT86 will be more affordable by then if I decide to go small. We will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Are you a sales rep?

No, what makes you say that?

Going back to the corolla debackle, fair enough a bog spec Mondeo aint too pwetty, but compare a luna to a titanium X

Can one really compare the two cars though? Not really in the same category (size wise anyway)

Had pictures to reinforce my point, but it won't let me post pics from google images, why I don't know, done it lots of times before. :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No, what makes you say that?

Going back to the corolla debackle, fair enough a bog spec Mondeo aint too pwetty, but compare a luna to a titanium X

Can one really compare the two cars though? Not really in the same category (size wise anyway)

Had pictures to reinforce my point, but it won't let me post pics from google images, why I don't know, done it lots of times before. :confused:

Personal stereotype, I worked in a place where the reps ALL drove Mondeos so I'm convinced only sales reps drive them. Sorry :)

Personal stereotype, I worked in a place where the reps ALL drove Mondeos so I'm convinced only sales reps drive them. Sorry :)

Ha, ahh you're alright, thought that stereotype died out with the mk3!

Ha, ahh you're alright, thought that stereotype died out with the mk3!

Was the mk3 the 2006/2007 model?

I think the same now of opel insignias!

• Advertisement

Was the mk3 the 2006/2007 model?

I think the same now of opel insignias!

Ya, from 01 to 07.

Ya, from 01 to 07.

Ah them were the days!

Seen a 2006 reg mk4 golf today. Seen the very odd 2005 reg one, never an 06 though. Something got very delayed there.

I think they were doing the estate in 06, never seen an 06 hatch

This was a hatch anyway, seen the arse of it. Relooked 4 or 5 times, in case it was just a dodgy looking 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Seen a 2006 reg mk4 golf today. Seen the very odd 2005 reg one, never an 06 though. Something got very delayed there.

Saw one of these with an 06 plate, didn't realise they were on sale till 06
    988269a7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

This was a hatch anyway, seen the arse of it. Relooked 4 or 5 times, in case it was just a dodgy looking 5!

I'm very suprised anyone would buy a mk4 in 2006 when the mk5 sales were well up and running at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Bpmull wrote: »
    I'm very suprised anyone would buy a mk4 in 2006 when the mk5 sales were well up and running at that stage.

Same could be said for the Octavia, I saw an 09 Mk.1 :eek:

There's a 10 one local to me and was a 12 one as a taxi in Navan for a while. Even the mk2 was facelifted by then!

Reading about the mk2 saddens me a bit :(

Last mk1 Octavia tours were made in 2010, saw one, think it was MO or SO reg.
    they actually had a mk2 Octavia tour in Europe after but it was only the pre facelift lights and stripped out spec.

I've seen a few 09 ones funny when you think my dads mk2 was 2005. The mk1 car was a great car for anyone who's sole interest was reliability they were fairly basic inside but sure less to go wrong I suppose :). Although the mk2 facelift was hardly unreliable either even my mothers facelift mk2 which is probably the worst of them is just over 3 years old 100k km on it and it hasn't had any issues whatsoever never been in the garage outside of a service.

The only thing wrong is a worn driver seat which is a flaw with the seat material on the elegance spec skoda wouldn't replace it under warranty. It's still a sore point with my mother she lost it with them over it a few times. But they should of replaced it known issue seat coves aren't expensive my mother was like to the guy in skoda head office well I hope the seat cover was worth loosing the sale of a new skoda for :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

5 days. Longest I've been single for this year.

Yeah, we can't live without each other :P

Sobanek wrote: »

Jaypers yer far worse than me.... I thought I was bad!

are you now attached?

are you now attached?

Holy crapballs nope! :p

dgt wrote: »
    Holy crapballs nope! :p

not you ffs they'd have to be a saint, I meant sobanek

On the alfa front I've your alternator, mine is now happily working, sorting the airbag issue and exhaust in the next couple of weeks, then tis time for ze NCT

Gonna rebook NCT if it passes asap to get a longer cert

For the cvrt (doe) do you need to remove the plastic wheel nut covers on the alloys or do they even check them.

For the cvrt (doe) do you need to remove the plastic wheel nut covers on the alloys or do they even check them.

For the nct you leave alloys alone, ,for hubcaps you have to remove them

For the nct you leave alloys alone, ,for hubcaps you have to remove them

Below is a picture of the alloys. See the black things covering the nuts ones of in the picture you think they would be ok to leave on ?

2D0D2495-2A09-4042-A7D5-A4CC3A722516_zpsn1cehlpg.jpg

I'd take them off to be on the safe side, some testers will whinge, others won't

I'd take them off to be on the safe side, some testers will whinge, others won't

Ok will do just to be safe. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

No hassle good luck with it :)

When it comes to the NCT shower I like to be cautious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No need.
    As long as they can actually count the wheel nuts, they're fine. You only need to remove them if it's a single cap / wheel cover hiding all the nuts together... If you get me!

Bpmull wrote:

Take them off anyway, will stop some finicky cnuteen getting cranky over it!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    No need.
    As long as they can actually count the wheel nuts, they're fine. You only need to remove them if it's a single cap / wheel cover hiding all the nuts together... If you get me!

See that's my point some cranky arsehole will fail it or refuse it while most humans will ignore it

I'll play it safe and remove them with the price of cvrt once a year is enough to do it I definitely don't want a retest for something stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sobanek wrote: »

5 days. Wow. The longest i have been single is about a day.

No actually back to reality. It has been so many years i lost count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Some prick reversed (quite quickly) into the front of the Honda. Rad cracked and bumper smashed....
    Unlunky for the prick the number plate has gotten stuck in the bumper. FCUK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

On a side note... can I be any unluckier...

Did he drive off :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bear1 wrote: »
    Some prick reversed (quite quickly) into the front of the Honda. Rad cracked and bumper smashed....
    Unlunky for the prick the number plate has gotten stuck in the bumper. FCUK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

On a side note... can I be any unluckier...

Yes,
    Unless you have a witness and he has then he can always say you rear ended him.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I need a dashcam....with g sensor....**** sake...would be livid if the same happened me!

Did he drive off :eek:

Yep.
    vectra wrote: »
    Yes,
    Unless you have a witness and he has then he can always say you rear ended him.:mad:

He can say all he likes..... there is a cctv camera pointing right at my car.
    Towed away to the garage today. I have the impression the driver may have been drunk as you'd have to be going some speed to crack the rad.
    Fcuking livid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Jesus bear that's awful news, there are some real pricks out there!
    Hope you nail the cnut!

YbFocus wrote: »
    Jesus bear that's awful news, there are some real pricks out there!
    Hope you nail the cnut!

I certainly will. Police came, took the statement and photos. They are the only ones who can access the footage so I'm waiting on them to let me know the outcome of that.
    They also took the number plate and my insurance company knows.
    I've TPFT so if the prick isn't found I'm fcuked.
    Should get an estimate soon enough on the repair costs.

I certainly will. Police came, took the statement and photos. They are the only ones who can access the footage so I'm waiting on them to let me know the outcome of that.
    They also took the number plate and my insurance company knows.
    I've TPFT so if the prick isn't found I'm fcuked.
    Should get an estimate soon enough on the repair costs.

With a reg and video proof he's a goner bear, how are sorted for a car now man?

With a reg and video proof he's a goner bear, how are sorted for a car now man?

Oh I've a lovely car now, has 6 wheels and about 50 odd seats.
    No car at all for the time being.
    I'm sure he/she is a goner just how long it will take is what is worrying me.

• Advertisement

Oh I've a lovely car now, has 6 wheels and about 50 odd seats.
    No car at all for the time being.
    I'm sure he/she is a goner just how long it will take is what is worrying me.

I know it's old and **** but I have that astra there now doing nothing, it's taxed but only has a weeks test left.
    By right it needs 4 tyres too but you're welcome to it man to get you out while your stuck?

I'm not using it now with my new machine here!

I know it's old and **** but I have that astra there now doing nothing, it's taxed but only has a weeks test left.
    By right it needs 4 tyres too but you're welcome to it man to get you out while your stuck?

I'm not using it now with my new machine here!

That's very very sound of you man. But I'm abroad :/ so my only options are take the bus or rent a car.
    So I think I'll just stick to the bus (-12 today.....)
    Again that is really cool of you though. Some lovely people here :)

That's very very sound of you man. But I'm abroad :/ so my only options are take the bus or rent a car.
    So I think I'll just stick to the bus (-12 today.....)
    Again that is really cool of you though. Some lovely people here :)

Ah crap bear i thought you were back here!
    Sure we're all a good crowd around here.

This forum has been getting bad press but for the most part it's a great spot, to me anyway!

Ah crap bear i thought you were back here!
    Sure we're all a good crowd around here.

This forum has been getting bad press but for the most part it's a great spot, to me anyway!

Yeah I only arrived back from Ireland on Saturday. And to think I'd spent the guts of 100 quid getting a valet done the day before.

Yeah I only arrived back from Ireland on Saturday. And to think I'd spent the guts of 100 quid getting a valet done the day before.

Well if your back here then the car is yours, just get me on a pm.
    About the valet, it's always the way!
    Something like that always seems to happen!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement