Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

oldyouth wrote: »
    I would have thought circa €600 on a 1 litre with 2 years proven named driver experience (on a car). The bike insurance wont count for anything

That's exactly what I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

DubVelo wrote: »
    Grown up (over 30) with no NCB, I was thinking of picking up something cheap to keep the weather off over winter.
    Quiet area, no accidents or points either but from a quick try I'm getting quotes on a 1.0L shopping cart of nearly €900.
    Is this just the kind of shafting I can expect?
    Oh full licence for years, I have a year or two named driver alright and my own policy on the motorbike though I don't suppose that counts.
    oldyouth wrote: »
    I would have thought circa €600 on a 1 litre with 2 years proven named driver experience (on a car). The bike insurance wont count for anything
    ...I have a year or two named driver...
    Is it possible that the difference between one year named driver experience and two years named driver experience would be approx €300?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Esel wrote: »
    Is it possible that the difference between one year named driver experience and two years named driver experience would be approx €300?

Yes, easily. It is not just the additional discount a particular insurer may give, it could be that a competitive company will only quote if you have a minimum of 2 years named driving experience

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭athlone99

Hey looking for some help.

Got my renewal quote the other day, My base premium has doubled. I had an accident and had to make a claim not so long ago and the claim has not been settled yet. i have been hit with an 80% increase due to the claim. I am just wondering is this a standard increase or has anyone been in the same situation and what did there preimum increase by? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Possibly.

If you lost a full 5 year bonus thats 50% to 60% increase, general rate increases are prob 5% to 10% and depending on the severity of the claim or if there are outstanding injury claims then they may have applied a claims loading too so an 80% increase is possible though probably pretty harsh.

Unfortunately as the claim is outstanding you are likely snookered in that no other insurer will take you on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭FledNanders

Got my renewal from 123 yesterday, €100 quid more expensive than last year. Rang them to see why, they said it's because of the amount of claims paid out recently.

Literally the second I put the phone down I heard a radio ad for 123 bragging about the amount of claims they've paid this year! Marketing department obviously not very on the ball.

Anyway, anyone recommend anyone to try that's likely to be cheaper? I'm 30, full license, 3 years NCB and no previous claims. 1.5 Almera. Got quoted over 800 from 123.

Been trying Chill etc but don't find them sites very competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Get a few quotes from the likes of Axa and AA. Wait for them to ring you back, tell them what the lowest quote was and see what they can do for you. I know I sound like the guy off the no nonsense ad, but that's what I did and it knocked almost €200 off the online price (and threw in some extras). That said, I'd been insured with them for 3 years previously without a sniff of a problem and I paid in full upfront so they probably wanted to keep me as a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Urfa

Hi there,

Anyone who can help or advise I'd Really appreciate it.

I'm freaking out! My car was vandalised recently and set on fire- insurance company wrote it off!

They are now asking for my penalty point history. I have 2 undisclosed penalty points. I informed them of 2 I had that are since gone. I renewed my insurance with them for several years and have never been asked if I had penalty points. I just seen on my policy that I have no cover if I do not disclose penalty points! Does this mean my claim will not be processed???? Has anyone any experience of this?

My boyfriends insurance company automatically knew when he had points and me also as I am a name driver! I never thought of telling my insurance company as it never came up and I presumed they knew! Now I'm really worried. I just bought a new car after being informed of a quote for my car which I was happy with. I was badly stuck so bought a car with the expectation that I would be getting my claim in the coming weeks. It is only recently that they have asked for my penalty pt details which is what prompted me to look at my policy re this.

Any help is much appreciated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ATMatm

Got my renewal from 123 yesterday, €100 quid more expensive than last year. Rang them to see why, they said it's because of the amount of claims paid out recently.

Literally the second I put the phone down I heard a radio ad for 123 bragging about the amount of claims they've paid this year! Marketing department obviously not very on the ball.

Anyway, anyone recommend anyone to try that's likely to be cheaper? I'm 30, full license, 3 years NCB and no previous claims. 1.5 Almera. Got quoted over 800 from 123.

Been trying Chill etc but don't find them sites very competitive

The Chill website is dirt. If you get a quote from one of their staff on the phone it's generally much cheaper. I got a policy with AIG that was much better than the one I was quoted on the front page of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Urfa wrote: »
    They are now asking for my penalty point history. I have 2 undisclosed penalty points. I informed them of 2 I had that are since gone.

Please tell me you didn't hold back on your current points?

The onus is on you to declare points.

You shouldn't lose your settlement though, two points is nothing really. You'll probably just have an additional premium taken from your settlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I got the renewal today for my son who's a named driver but the main driver of the car, last year it was €1200 renewal is €1870. No claims accidents or penalty points. I only changed him as the main driver for the last 2 months of last years insurance for around €50 and was told that it would be €300 extra for the year which should make it €1500. They are really trying their luck even though I have more insurance with them. Time for shopping around I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Sandypants

I had my own policies in my name for over 10 yrs and never claimed so I had 10 yrs if not more in no claim bonus's.I went under company insurance for 2 yrs and now want to go back to having a policy under my own name.... But I've been told I can only get quotes with 2 year worth of no claim bonus surely that can't be right??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

That's right. Your own no claims bonus only lives for 2 years. only thing you could try and do is see if an insurer will take it into account in terms of driving experience. But for that option you can forget online quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bizstartup

Hello
    wondering if someone else has ever had this issue - I am starting a food biz (catering and market trading with a towed mobile food stall) and have been confronted with huge problems trying to get a usage change on my existing motor policy with Liberty. 9 year NCB, comprehensive cover costing me about E300. Was first told they won't cover that, and they would cancel my policy. Went through process of getting rejection letters from other insurers, who also don't cover that kind of use - referred issue to Insurance Ireland who have compelled Liberty to offer me a quote. Advised by them that I will be charged another E2000 on top of current policy and they will reduce my cover to TPFT. ???? what's with the prejudice against market trading? Have been working with a broker on this and he's baffled as well.

Any advice?

many thanks in advance.

Your motor insurers don't want to get dragged into a public liability claim. You are also looking at class 3 usage as opposed to the basic use you had

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bizstartup

Hi Pete
    thanks for your post. We have a separate public liability coverage already secured with...wait for it... Liberty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Contact a brokers mate, they are screwing you over.

Im presuming you are driving a car at present?

Best bet is to buy a small van and that will cover you for business use.

The likes of FBD will cover a mobile catering unit/stall at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I don't know if I am asking this in the right place, if so, any help would be appreciated.

I was insured with Quinn for years, but emigrated in 2011. I haven't been insured since then. Or, I suppose I have, as I rented a car in Ireland a few times in the interim...

Am I now starting from scratch with no claims?

I don't know if I am asking this in the right place, if so, any help would be appreciated.

I was insured with Quinn for years, but emigrated in 2011. I haven't been insured since then. Or, I suppose I have, as I rented a car in Ireland a few times in the interim...

Am I now starting from scratch with no claims?

Yes you are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

peteb2 wrote: »
    Yes you are

Goddamn.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

Hi not sure if the correct area to post so here goes.

Was insured with Setanta up until early on this year when they went under. As soon as I heard they were in trouble, I rang my insurer and was told no problem we will stop the payments from now and here is another policy we can set up for you straight away. Great job all seemed nice and handy. That was about 5/6 months ago.

Then today, got a text message from them advising me I had 10 days to pay outstanding balance of my policy or the debt collectors were being sent in. Have heard nothing from that last phone call cancelling policy with no penalty (as per the insurer) and setting up a new one.

I have phoned and been told I am liable and the debt department will contact me.

Am I liable ?

Hi not sure if the correct area to post so here goes.

Was insured with Setanta up until early on this year when they went under. As soon as I heard they were in trouble, I rang my insurer and was told no problem we will stop the payments from now and here is another policy we can set up for you straight away. Great job all seemed nice and handy. That was about 5/6 months ago.

Then today, got a text message from them advising me I had 10 days to pay outstanding balance of my policy or the debt collectors were being sent in. Have heard nothing from that last phone call cancelling policy with no penalty (as per the insurer) and setting up a new one.

I have phoned and been told I am liable and the debt department will contact me.

Am I liable ?

Yep. Your problem is here is that Setanta never offered a direct debit facility. So your broker would have had to organise premium finance with a separate company - a bank loan to pay the premium effectively.

So you weren't making repayments to Setanta, you were making them to XYZ Finance Company. So despite the unfortunate fact the policy disappeared you would still have been liable for the payments to XYZ. And they are therefore pursing you. A number of finance companies agreed to write-off these monies. So you might just check that out. Otherwise I'd be taking action against my broker for bad advice!

Thanks, I'm waiting for the debt department to contact me. Thankfully its not a huge amount but the principle of it is wrecking my head.

I was told it was no issue stopping the payments.

I've had no contact from them in about 6 months.

They text me, to threaten me with a debt collection agency.

Given the way it was handled back then upon renewal of other policies I had with different insurers I gave them more business. The customer service today will make me go elsewhere, it was a case of 'that's just how it is'. I will put my case to them again when they phone me back, although I'm probably just going to ruin someone's friday when it really isn't their fault.

Thanks again.

Who's "they"? A broker wont have a debt department. Whats the name of the company you organised finance with?

Am I allowed to say the company on here ?

Yeah of course. you arent advertising or saying anything bad.

Quote Devil.

Yeah but Quote Devil are the broker. They arent the finance company. Unless they have an-in house finance facility. In which case, even better. Have them pull the call where their staff member said it was ok and they won't chase you for it.

Cheers they definitely said 'their' debt dept, and the text was from them not 'on behalf of'. I'll see what the phone call entails and post back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lads and ladies, a bit of advice please.

Never had much reason to change from RSA insurance (123.ie) but my insurance has gone from 540 to 740. No claims in 5 years, no change to my policy since last year.

Anyone else getting similar increases?

So I need to get something far better. What's the best comparison sites? My only concern is ill get a cheaper quote but something is nowhere near as decent.

Thanks all!

Advertisement