Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it normal to be really nervous when buying a car for over 10K? Just asking as my first car was only €1200 but is on the way out now. I think it's because it will be the most expensive purchase I've ever made.
    yes, perfectly normal. You just have to make sure you do things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

Just moved back from the UK recently and need a commuter wagon. Not a massive commute. 70kms Round trip daily and then roughly twice a month 400km round trip to Dublin-Limerick.

I may not be in diesel territory but struggling to find any decent petrol equivalents of Focus. They all seem to be 1.6tdci. Same with VW. Majority are Diesel.

Yesterday when I explained my situation to a local mechanic he told me the 2.0 Tdci focus/mondeo 2010 + would be his choice of car. I do like the look of the Focus 2011+.

I've around 7-8K to spend. Not concerned what badge just something relatively reliable and economical with 5 doors (2 small Kids)

Any advice would be great.

I would avoid the 1.6 TDCI engine where possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just moved back from the UK recently and need a commuter wagon. Not a massive commute. 70kms Round trip daily and then roughly twice a month 400km round trip to Dublin-Limerick.

I may not be in diesel territory but struggling to find any decent petrol equivalents of Focus. They all seem to be 1.6tdci. Same with VW. Majority are Diesel.

Yesterday when I explained my situation to a local mechanic he told me the 2.0 Tdci focus/mondeo 2010 + would be his choice of car. I do like the look of the Focus 2011+.

I've around 7-8K to spend. Not concerned what badge just something relatively reliable and economical with 5 doors (2 small Kids)

I have a Mazda 6 in the adverts section that could suit you.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Thanks,

Do the same issues with the 1.6tdci exist with the 2.0tdci?

Any advice on the 1.6 petrol focus same era?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,212 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thanks,

Do the same issues with the 1.6tdci exist with the 2.0tdci?

Any advice on the 1.6 petrol focus same era?
    Isnt that the PSA sourced 1.6 diesel? If so, the 2.0 is much better (but still not amazing in itself). The aul lad has the 2.0 in a Peugeot 407 with 300k+ on the clock.

I have a Mazda 6 in the adverts section that could suit you.

Thanks will take a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »

The 8V versions (DV6C, DV6D, DV6FC and DV6FD) installed in the Focuses from 2011 are much better than the older 16V design.

2.0 HDi/TDCi is safe regardless of the generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ejeca

This caught me eye. What do people think?

donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-118i-msport-3dr/16598093

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,495 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ejeca wrote: »

Fixed link.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ejeca wrote: »
    This caught me eye. What do people think?

donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-118i-msport-3dr/16598093

Just be aware that the seller has two other cars for sale also so he's no stranger to selling cars.

You’d be the 5th owner, which is a good few in 10 years. Doesn’t make it a bad car of course, but it’s certainly high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ejeca

Thanks for fixing the link.

Yeah five owners in ten years is a little odd. And the car looks a little too good to be true doesn't it? Decent price, decent mileage, low tax and looks in good shape. There must be a reason why it hasn't been bought already as well as I remember seeing the car a advertised a few weeks ago as well.

It’s a niche product though, not everyone wants a petrol 3 door 2.0 1 series. It’s also 10 years old now.

I quite like the idea of one, especially a 3 door.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

First time buying a car (previous car was a hand-me-down) - this thread has some fantastic advice for someone with no experience.

Looking at this:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-1-year-nct-1-month-tax/18286520

Any advice?

I'll be asking a mechanic to take a look over it for me.

James is selling a number of other cars too which miraculously only went up for sale 10 hours ago, if you google his number it shows that he has been wheeling and dealing in alot of cars. That makes him a part time dealer in my books so he knows more about selling cars than you know about buying them.

That 1.6d engine is not known for its reliability and there are more bad examples out there than good ones. Do you actually need a diesel? It's also rather cheap for a 08 Focus diesel given the cheap tax would make a bit more valuable, this would make me suspicious straight away as usually cheap cars are cheap for a reason. It's a UK import too so I'd be doing background checks especially on the UK history as 110k miles is very low on a ten year old diesel. It's also the UK base model which is a very drab and bare place to be in.

If it were me I'd just keep looking for something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If buying a used car from a reputable showroom, and it comes with 2 year warranty, is there any reason to bring along a mechanic, or can I generally assume a showroom wouldn't sell rubbish?

I know zilch about cars, beyond how to check oil and refill petrol and pump tires :)

The risk is lower but if your not savvy yourself then it's best to bring someone along who is a bit car savvy as they might spot something that the dealer needs to sort before finalising the sale. I'm talking about things like worn tyres, scuff marks, etc. Some dealers are better than others at preparing cars for resale while others will wait until the buyer points them out. Bring a mate or relative who knows their way around cars where you can reward them with a few pints for their trouble. It can be alot easier to get things fixed at time of purchase before you hand over the money than afterwards.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The risk is lower but if your not savvy yourself then it's best to bring someone along who is a bit car savvy as they might spot something that the dealer needs to sort before finalising the sale. I'm talking about things like worn tyres, scuff marks, etc. Some dealers are better than others at preparing cars for resale while others will wait until the buyer points them out. Bring a mate or relative who knows their way around cars where you can reward them with a few pints for their trouble. It can be alot easier to get things fixed at time of purchase before you hand over the money than afterwards.

Hmm don't know of anyone that could assist with that living nearby, unless there's a hire service I can use :)

Is there a general list of things to look for like scuff marks online anywhere?

• Advertisement

Ask about the warranty, it could just be a 3rd party warranty which a lot of sellers think gets them out of any consumer rights you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Looking for a new motor for lugging two kids and buggies around. Coming from a 05 A4 Avant, 1.9tdi. It's pushing 200k miles and starting to have various snags, so it's gotta go.

Mostly doing urban driving these days so unsure if I need a diesel anymore, doing 15-20k Kms a year. Ideally don't want to spend more than 7k, but as herself will be relying on it everyday do need a reliable motor with room for the sprogs and their possessions.

Suggestions for hassle free motoring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Reversal wrote: »
    Looking for a new motor for lugging two kids and buggies around. Coming from a 05 A4 Avant, 1.9tdi. It's pushing 200k miles and starting to have various snags, so it's gotta go.

Mostly doing urban driving these days so unsure if I need a diesel anymore, doing 15-20k Kms a year. Ideally don't want to spend more than 7k, but as herself will be relying on it everyday do need a reliable motor with room for the sprogs and their possessions.

How many sprogs? I like the ford s max.

Reversal wrote: »

If you like that model A4 then maybe look at a Seat Exeo. Same basic thing just with newer engines and generally more spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Two sprogs!

The exeos have caught my eye alright as I'm a fan of the b6/7 A4. But do the 2.0TDIs on the exeos suffer the oil pump issues that the b7s did?

No the Exeo has the more modern CR engines found in the likes of the B8 A4.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    If buying a used car from a reputable showroom, and it comes with 2 year warranty, is there any reason to bring along a mechanic, or can I generally assume a showroom wouldn't sell rubbish?

I know zilch about cars, beyond how to check oil and refill petrol and pump tires :)

Just again on this, is it possible to hire a mechanic or similar to come and look at a car I may buy?

Don't know anyone myself who would be familiar enough with cars to identify possible issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

mrcheez wrote: »
    Just again on this, is it possible to hire a mechanic or similar to come and look at a car I may buy?

Don't know anyone myself who would be familiar enough with cars to identify possible issues.
    It certainly is, but it depends on knowing a mechanic who'll take the time to do that with you. It may not seem like great work for him if he has to go out of his way. Some examples:
    • I wouldn't know anyone myself.
    • A friend of mine used a small indy mechanic that his mam & dad have used for ages. Don't know if that chap would do the service for others though, more of a favour.
    • My brother found a service online for this, and got a car looked at (was a private sale). However I'm not going to recommend the outfit as they never actually sent on the final report (they also never sent on the bill so swings and roundabouts!). Found a couple of useful issues, but also a couple of things missed that probably shouldn't have been (nothing too expensive however).
    If there's a mechanic based near the seller, you could potentially bring the car to his workshop (if seller agrees).

You'd think a service like this would be pretty common. Not everyone is best mates with a car mechanic/aficionado.

There is very little money in providing that service for mechanics I'd imagine. Time is money and if they spent all day inspecting cars then they wouldn't have time to fix/service cars in their garage which is really what puts food on the table.

Right so for people that don't have a mechanic on hand, I guess we just need to take a gamble ? Not sure a Nissan dealership (for example) would allow me to take a car to another garage for inspection. They would say their own mechanics inspected it.

Do these dealerships offer any sort of quality guarantee so that I could bring it back after purchasing if a mechanic subsequently found an issue? I.e. is there a warranty i should make sure they include ?

• Advertisement

If your buying from a dealer then there should be a warranty with the car otherwise what's the point in buying from a dealer? Examine the warranty and make sure it's worth the paper it's written on. Nissan used car warranties ie Gold Standard warranty are generally pretty good.

If your buying from a dealer then there should be a warranty with the car otherwise what's the point in buying from a dealer?

I've no idea what point of buying from dealer is vs private sale, just that they seem to have a few nice cars I'm looking at :)

But yeah if safer to buy from dealer, in terms of more guarantee regarding quality, then I'll certainly stick to looking at dealers only.

Have been looking around at cars the last few weeks and have seriously looked at two corolla versos. Both had rust underneath - first one I saw with a mechanic had a lot of surface rust underneath and on the rear axle, while today the Verso had surface rust too underneath, on both sides of the car. No holes today for the Verso and it passed the NCT just last month.

So my question - how much rust is too much on a used car? Am aiming for a 10 year car so don't know if I should expect some rust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Dónal wrote: »
    Have been looking around at cars the last few weeks and have seriously looked at two corolla versos. Both had rust underneath - first one I saw with a mechanic had a lot of surface rust underneath and on the rear axle, while today the Verso had surface rust too underneath, on both sides of the car. No holes today for the Verso and it passed the NCT just last month.

So my question - how much rust is too much on a used car? Am aiming for a 10 year car so don't know if I should expect some rust.

Look into the nct info on rust. It can be the beginning of an expensive problem depending on where the rust is.
    I failed my nct because of rusted sils, a common problem on Ford fiestas. My mechanic didn't do the cutting/welding the nct wanted to repair the rust and did a patch up job instead. I failed the retest and was then off the road due to no more money for mechanics. Nct hadn't told me what had to be done, I brought the report to a mechanic assuming he would do what's required. It was only after failing the retest that I found out it's on me (although I'm not a mechanic and know nothing a out cars) to get the right work done, despite the fact I paid a professional to do just that.

Just a warning in rust!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

If I'm buying a used car from a used car dealer, how does registration work? Does the dealer notify Shannon (after the sale takes place) of my name & address etc? Or do I have to do some paperwork to transfer it into my name after I buy it?

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I just can't remember how it works and I can't seem to find any info online about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Is a part service history a complete no no?

A lot of Irish cars would not have a full documented service history especially once the original manufacturer's warranty expires. The important thing to try and join the dots between what the seller/owner is claiming, mileage on the NCT and what the manufacturer recommends at certain mileage, if stuff doesn't add up and more questions get asked than answered then it's time to walk away. Ideally you would like a car to have invoices and receipts for work and servicing done but unfortunately the average Irish motorist is not very meticulous around that.

A lot of Irish cars would not have a full documented service history especially once the original manufacturer's warranty expires. The important thing to try and join the dots between what the seller/owner is claiming, mileage on the NCT and what the manufacturer recommends at certain mileage, if stuff doesn't add up and more questions get asked than answered then it's time to walk away. Ideally you would like a car to have invoices and receipts for work and servicing done but unfortunately the average Irish motorist is not very meticulous around that.

Cheers. It's a low mileage car for it's age - 2008, 61k miles with 3 previous owners. I might miss the odd service by 2 or 3 k, but I'd always do it eventually.

I didn't realise it was such a common thing.

It's a case of joining the dots to make sure the low mileage adds up. I'd certainly be looking at previous NCT certs and running a history check. See how long the 3 owners kept the car. Low mileage cars are out there but chances of 3 owners doing very small mileage would certainly have me doing some extra digging.

Thanks. It's a 1 series BMW that is also on adverts & the seller has all positive feedback.

Seen the car on carzone there now for €1000 more & it seems it's been for sale for a good few months too. Now I'm thinking maybe there's a reason it hasn't shifted.

I if sell mine own this morning, I'll give the seller a ring....

• Advertisement

Have a BMW specialist give it a look over. BMWs are great cars but they can drain your wallet especially as the years creep up. I'd look for evidence of regular oil changes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

looking over few pages seems issue is always the same seller in many cases buys car that they have no knowledge and as we know history can be blurry on most cars. Ive learnerd that buying cheap ill need to put in 300-600e euro once brought to service as belts,oil, bearings links suspension one or another is always small details that come out after good weeks driving start to appear that eventually add to the cost.

while as most said its almost impossible to find mechanic that will give his time to go look with you at the car, but i found that asking them about specific models they will give you wealth of information regarding reliability and what to look out for, even better if they work a lot on models you look to buy, my first was vw 4 golf and was worst mistake ever since em yokes had 1.4l engine and few weeks later seen oil light and after service got news piston rings were messed up on them models, in other words few months down the road 2k down the drain. smth that really put me off any german cars for years,as found jap imports engine troubles are almost non existent but visit any garage always plenty of german cars in line, nothing against them as comfort is really there but likes of bmw service is really important part which many owners ignore over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

Whats the safest way to pay for a used car nowadays (private sale)

Don't want to hand over cash (and I presume cash is a very bad idea anyway)

Bank Draft?........

Is there a way to pay where seller gets their funds and you get your registration documents to post off to shannon there and then?

amacca wrote: »
    Whats the safest way to pay for a used car nowadays (private sale)

Don't want to hand over cash (and I presume cash is a very bad idea anyway)

Bank Draft?........

Very unlikely that someone would accept the bank draft.

Depose the cash directly to the sellers bank account.
    Is there a way to pay where seller gets their funds and you get your registration documents to post off to shannon there and then?

Bring an envelope with a stamp. Fill up the registration documents together, pay, put the documents in the envelope and throw into postbox together.

grogi wrote: »
    Very unlikely that someone would accept the bank draft.

Depose the cash directly to the sellers bank account.

Bring an envelope with a stamp. Fill up the registration documents together, pay, put the documents in the envelope and throw into postbox together.

Arse...bank of ireland need you to add the person as a payee...5 working days to get a pin etc......that can be overcome presumably but it still leaves a a problem imo

My problem is that transfer may not be instant or update in the sellers account straight away....your money has left your account or is on way but seller is holding on to vehicle registration document (and rightfully so) is there any way for both parties to get what they want?

amacca wrote: »
    Arse...bank of ireland need you to add the person as a payee...5 working days to get a pin etc......that can be overcome presumably but it still leaves a a problem imo

My problem is that transfer may not be instant or update in the sellers account straight away....your money has left your account or is on way but seller is holding on to vehicle registration document (and rightfully so) is there any way for both parties to get what they want?

Bring cash to the bank of seller, and depose it there. You'll get receipt and seller will see it immediately.

Thank you. That makes sense. I think you might have said that earlier and I misunderstood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I saw this thread tonight and it made me smile ..

4 years ago I read this for ages , got a pen and paper and wrote a long list of things to look at , and do in regards to looking at this car .

Anyway guy turns up a little late at meeting place and catches me off guard . I forget to bring list. I hardly looked at any of the items ...basically I made a right balls of it !!!

My only saving grace was I caught him on giving me wrong mileage. He said in advert 84km and it was 84miles . Then I found aircon wasn't working , I got price down to 2000 from 2800 .

Next day in light of day (yes I bought car in dark) i couldnt belive eyes !!!!! Car was absolutely mint , my wife even commented on how well I'd done which was a first EVER!!!

That didn't last long once my mechanic fixed head gasket and tie rods and took 1000 off me the following month !!! My wife reminded me why I needed to be kept a close eye on at all times for my own safety .

4 years later that same car is still driving A1 and no money spent since . I keep telling my wife she doesn't appreciate my .mechanical knowledge I learnt from Limerick man .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Hello everyone. Thanks for this thread, it's been really helpful.

I'm looking to buy a 2005-2006 Landcruiser in England, for all the usual reasons.

I found the perfect car on autotrader, but the price is at least £2k too low, and the seller's blurb says "...SOLD AS IS & SHOWN, FOR COMMERCIAL & BUSINESS USE ONLY, WORLDWIDE VAT FREE EXPORT SERVICE AVAILABLE...".

So does this mean that it was registered as a van? Can I buy it as a private user, pay the UK VAT and take it here? Can I import it as is and pay the VAT here along with the VRT? And if so, can I legally drive it to Holyhead?

Bargain? Or should I forget all that palaver and keep on looking?

Any help or suggestions welcome.

• Advertisement

Move on, but post a link to the ad anyway

Advertisement