Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played 9 holes this evening in mulranny, had 17 points. Not bad considering the wind that was in it. Driving very well. I'm not far off playing as good as I was last year. Course isn't in too bad shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

charlieIRL wrote: »
    2nd card for handicap last night and what started out ok turned into another short game / putting nightmare. Couldn't buy a birdie or par yesterday after driving the ball well and hitting a lot of fairways.

Long iron play was excellent (gave up on 3 wood and now use 4 iron on par 5's) but if i didn't have bad luck, i'd have no luck at all with some of the bounces i got.
    The difference in the greens in one week was amazing too, from slow sand last week they were like perfect pool tables yesterday, almost too perfect as they were lightening quick and caught me out too many time when chipping on and putting.
    3 pars
    7 bogeys
    5 doubles
    3 worse
    78% of fairways hit
    39% GIR
    45 god-damm putts
    1 penalty shot.

My goal of a teen handicap is fading rapidly.

Sounds like myself. I hit 14 greens in reg today for my final handicap card and had 44 putts in total for an 84.

That's a 76, 91 and 84. Consistency is a true strength

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Rippeditup wrote: »

That's a 76, 91 and 84. Consistency is a true strength

With a round of 76, I cant see any club giving you a handicap of more than 2 or 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

I played Headfort new and i had 11 scratches, i was absolute brutal and couldn't hit anything. I really struggled. I hit a few great drives but my irons let me down and i was in double figures for balls lost. I had 3 left going into the back 9 and didn't lose one again.

I highly recommend anyone who hasn't played this course to go and play, fantastic course with some great par 3.

Golf is very frustrating when you don't play well or strike the ball well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Played a four man scramble today in Rathcore. I think we finished around the 60 strokes mark. Won't be near prizes but a good format and fun to play. Partners were sound lads and made it enjoyable.

Struck the ball nice and putted very well. Driving a little scruffy but no major bother I don't think. Really need to start getting counting comps going soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

I had 18pts for 18 holes today. Parred the last, 4 for 2pts so could have been 16. Ok first game in 1 month and before that 2 games in 6 weeks but STILL!? Oh game, where art thou? :) Snap hooks, duffs, shanks... Golf is hard, sooo hard when you're not playing much and low on confidence.

Medal next weekend. Oh dear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Played my first counting competition of the year today. I probably had enough chances to score well but didn't hole anything noteworthy all day. Twice took 4 shots to get down from only 30 yards out which was very frustrating.

2 birdies
    8 pars
    7 bogeys
    1 double

35 points

FIR 6/14
    GIR 10/18
    Putts 34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

85 blows off back sticks in Athenry for 39 off 18. Stiff breeze. Chipping let me down. Thick two inch fringe grass turning club face. Home grass more wispy. Bad drive cost me a scratch. Very happy overall.

http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/102-21693803-21693917

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Much improved today 88 strokes 38pts 19 front9 19 bck9. 1birdie 5pars 7bogs 5 dbs scored on everything. Got .1 bck im 17.5 again. Stopped trying to smash the ball much better results..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Got out early this morning for the usual Sunday comp, only 32 points off 13.

5 pars
    11 bogeys
    1 double
    1 blank

6/13 FIR
    3/18 GIR
    14 Chips
    33 Puts

Couldn't hit a wood, couldn't hit an iron, couldn't chip, couldn't putt, but the rest of my game is in brilliant shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

First decent round in a long time today. Nothing special but no silly mistakes. Gross 93, net 70 in the monthly medal so happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Finally got some form back this weekend. Went around +6 in windy conditions..39pts off 9. No birdies!! Missed 3 birdie putts from 3-6ft on the front 9. Delighted with the round. New grip has worked wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

First decent round in a long time today. Nothing special but no silly mistakes. Gross 93, net 70 in the monthly medal so happy

Just found out I won the medal with this. My first win :) does anyone know if you usually get anything along with the medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

I'm officially in taking-the-piss territory now:

Won last Sunday with 41 off 17 (no cut as winter rules were back in)
    Won on Thursday with 42 (cut from 17.4 to 15.6)
    Won foursomes yesterday with a 10-handicapper, 42 points again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm officially in taking-the-piss territory now:

Won last Sunday with 41 off 17 (no cut as winter rules were back in)
    Won on Thursday with 42 (cut from 17.4 to 15.6)
    Won foursomes yesterday with a 10-handicapper, 42 points again

Fair play Denis, taking the piss would have meant getting a plus 0.1 and going up to 18 in between the two non counting wins ;)

Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Scotch foursomes competition in Ballykisteen today. We had a treble bogey 7 on the first which was a very inauspicious start. Kept battling away though to finish with 85 gross, 68 nett which wasn't bad. I rolled in a putt from off the green on the 18th which was a nice way to finish!

63.5 won, 65.5 was 2nd, 67 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

PARlance wrote: »
    Fair play Denis, taking the piss would have meant getting a plus 0.1 and going up to 18 in between the two non counting wins ;)

Congrats

Cheers, that's true I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

28 points off 21 today in Grange Castle .
    17 front 11 back .

Have never drove the ball as well since I'm playing as I did today , think I only missed 2 fairways from 14 .

I'd 4 blanks and 3 of them where on par 5s which is not good enough as I can usually depend on at least 8 points from the par 5s .

The back 9 played really tough today with a horrible wind but was disappointed to come away with 11 points .

Really need practice playing from bunkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

28 points off 21 today in Grange Castle .
    17 front 11 back .

Have never drove the ball as well since I'm playing as I did today , think I only missed 2 fairways from 14 .

I'd 4 blanks and 3 of them where on par 5s which is not good enough as I can usually depend on at least 8 points from the par 5s .

The back 9 played really tough today with a horrible wind but was disappointed to come away with 11 points .

Really need practice playing from bunkers

The back 9 always seems to have that horrible wind around. How were the greens today. I played a practice round on Friday and they seemed to be getting into better shape from a week ago.

Was clean and place still in effect ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Macker1 wrote: »
    The back 9 always seems to have that horrible wind around. How were the greens today. I played a practice round on Friday and they seemed to be getting into better shape from a week ago.

Was clean and place still in effect ??
    Its always windy but today was the worst iv seen it . The greens where good , sand completly gone so they seemed very quick to me .

My round was only a knock around with 2 guests so not sure the rules for the comp .

Stuck behind 3 ladies today that seemed like not one of them could hit 100 yards with any club which made for a long round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Broke 100 for the first time today, 97 strokes . Best before that was 106 so completely unexpected .
    4 pars
    7bogies
    5 doubles
    1 treble
    1 +5 .......

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

mafc wrote: »
    OMFG

Played in stroke competition today
    Front 9
    5 pars
    2 birdies
    1 bogey
    1 double
    So + 1 after 9

Back 9
    Par
    Birdie
    Par
    Fupping disaster
    Double
    3 pars & a bogey
    Net 69 (79 gross)
    Fir 67%
    Gir 22%
    Putts 27

Chipping & putting was excellent today but I'm still sick over 3 holes that had me +9.
    Time for a few pints......

Edit...... Just realised the next time I play, I will be off single figures.......

Got cut to 7.9 .... Clause 19 & an ESR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Got about 2 hours sleep last night and went out to play this morning in a strokeplay pre-qualifier for a singles matchplay competition. For the first 9 holes I couldnt feel my swing and still managed to have a couple of birdies on the front 9, couple of 3-putt double bogeys as well.

Woke up on the 10th hole, par 3 with a great 5 iron and that kick started my round. Shot +1 for the back 9 and hit 7 GIR on that 9.

Ended up with nett 72 and snuck into the qualifier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

77 Gross in Carton House Monty yesterday morning. Despite the score I played pretty well. Arrived down to find the greens have been pole forked with a huge amount of sand on them. Bumpiest I have ever seen and ended up with 36n putts including five 3-putts.

Understand that they have to be done but with open week starting today, the timing seems to be bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

26 points in castlecomer in Kilkenny off an 18 handicap. Reasonably happy seen as I scratched 4 holes and lost a few balls which cost me an extra couple of points.
    If I could drive the ball anyway straight I think I might be able to play a whole lot better.
    Lesson booked for this week to see if the changes that he made to my grip/stance/swing recently have taken effect :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

The rot continues into 2014 with another 0.1 at the first qualifying comp of the year yesterday for the monthly medal. Annoyingly windy and pulling and hooking the ball under trees all day. Short game was even poor resulting in a lot of missed putts and to really cap off the day shanked a 3 iron OOB. Ended up with 90 gross (81 nett).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Lovely day down in Carlow GC with the boards society on Saturday, but yet again my slow start really let me down standing on the 6th tee box with 1 point in the bag is not a nice feeling. Proceed to par 6 followed by a good bogey on the long index 1 next. Finished up with 27 points (off 23) for the day which contained some nice solid golf from 6 on. The hightlight of the day being a peach a tee shot to 5 ft on the closest to the pin hole and knocking in the the birde to lift the handsome 2's pot of nearly €50.:D

Just looking back at my card the 27 points was with 6 scratches :eek: Need to work harder on turning those scratches into even single points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

93 gross for me off 18 nett of 75 4 over. was playing bogey golf until the 12th when a 9 completely destroyed my card. still qualified for a matchplay event as a result of this strokeplay event.

short game the problem really a lot of shots lost in that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

27 points around Galway Bay, started off very poorly with 4 itchies in the front 9. Highlight a birdie on 16, par 5 downwind. Driver 6 iron! Up and down for a 4 pointer. Gorgeous course, greens still a bit Sandy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Our club had a weekend away to Cork this weekend. We played Fota (Barryscourt course) on the Saturday where I shot 31pts, after a very average 14 on the front 9 I started well on the back nine and had a few pars and a birdie on the par 3 12th (3rd hole @ Irish Open). Unfortunately I finished poorly and ended up with 17 on the back.

After a very late night on Saturday we headed bright and early to Waterrock and I shot 28 pts, which was very disappointing after turning with 19. Anyway I put it down to tiredness and a little bit of a hangover which caught up with me in the end :P

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

39 points off 22 in Rathbane.
    No Scratchs but drove ball very poorly.
    Irons and putter saved me.

Hoping to get cut to 18 this year.
    Fingers crossed.
    My last 15 rounds ive scored over 32 points. So try few open singles and see if i can get cut :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Poor round yesterday, 4 down in v par format. Ended up with first, and hopefully last!, 0.1 back of 2014.

Just never really got going. Started with 6 consecutive bogies then made a mess of 7. Poor drive on 8 got me in trouble (actually a very good drive but alignment was wrong) and ended up losing two in a row. Sunk a lovely putt on 9 for my first par of the day to stay 2 down.

Had a reasonable start to the back, par, bogey, par, but the next bad drive on 13 again lost a hole. Then lost 14 after just going over the back in 2. Took 4 to get down. The exact same thing happened on 17, grrrr!

Not a good day. My scrambling was a lot worse than normal, that's all that was really wrong, other than a few dodgy drives (although ironically I was happy enough with the driver over the 18!).

Onwards and upwards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

87 strokes off the whites, disappointing start to qualifying.

7 pars
    7 bogeys
    3 doubles
    1 Triple

36putts and 8 poor chips which cost me dearly

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭cjfitz

32pts off 14.
    Feel i played better than my score suggests.
    Drove the ball really well (FIR 68%) after 6 knock downs the previous sunday, didn't putt badly they just didn't fall and I had no scratches dispite losing a ball on the 14th.

Still haven't played to my handicap yet this season which is disappointing, I just need to keep grinding and practicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

34 around luttrelstown off 6. Striking it well. Greens have still a good few weeks to go before there back to there best. Course in great shape though. Very hard and no wet patches anywhere!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

dar_cool wrote: »
    34 around luttrelstown off 6. Striking it well. Greens have still a good few weeks to go before there back to there best. Course in great shape though. Very hard and no wet patches anywhere!!

Great score around there off that.
    Havent played there in years. Must over next month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Great score around there off that.
    Havent played there in years. Must over next month or so.

Give it a few weeks fix. The size of the tines they used for the greens are massive!! Still running fairly true but lots of sand still on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Prov town practice castlecomer 13 over not bad first time playing course
    another go should be ready for sat week

Played dungarvan early today course looking great. 30pts 3pars 9bogeys been the highlight. Terrible 12pt front9 2blanks but woke up with 18pt bck9 1 blank. Out again 2moro for mre hardship sry enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Played the Naas open today.
    Second time playing it, the first on a wet January day a few months ago when I had 36points.
    So, I was full of hope going there today!

Had a shocker of a front 9.
    I was playing with 3 young lads, taking the day off from studying for the Leaving!!!
    Their combined handicaps being less than mine :(
    No other excuse other than just being rattled by them, their ability, their age...
    (3 young gents all the same)
    I've played with low guys before but they had all started shaving :)

11 out. I was praying my wife would call to say she was in labour.

Finally they start not being so brilliant, (the card I was marking had a shocker on the Par 3 8th, missed his first GIR to put him 1 over :)) and I settled in a bit more, had 17 coming in once I relaxed a bit.

28 in total, as disappointed as you can be but at least I'll have the first layer of my farmers tan!
    At least I don't have to study Maths tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement

Played my home course today 1st rd of the yr no placing. Course in great order had a ladies comp tue, wed, thur so loads wrk done. Played well front 9 20pts +7 bck9 only 16pts but very happy. Drove it well irons ok putter very gd. Bang on my handicap 90strokes

Played a 2 man event today but finished out every hole so I can post this.

81 strokes for 39 points off 12. Weather was just bliss. Bliss Bliss Bliss.

2 Birds
    8 Pars
    5 Bogeys
    3 Doubles

FIR 79%
    GIR 56%
    Putts 33

As a team we finished with 50 points. Two to score on Par 5s and one ball on rest.

Last three rounds have been 81. Just need to keep going for qualifying starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A disappointing round today. First qualifying round of the year & 33 points to likely miss buffer by 1.

Score wasn't the most disappointing part. I drove the ball great today, long & straight, only missed 1 fairway on the front 9. Only problem was I only hit 1 GIR on the front (on the hole I missed the fairway of course :( )

On a fair few of the par 4s in GC I was within wedge distance which is generally good striking around there. Problem was I just couldn't convert from 100yrds out at all.

Greens were really heavily sanded which didn't help things. Had 33 putts which I was happy enough with given the state they were in.

Really any other week if I gave myself the platform I did today from the tee I'd have shot 40 points so hopefully I can keep that up & tighten up massively in the scoring zone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

PARlance wrote: »
    Played the Naas open today.
    Second time playing it, the first on a wet January day a few months ago when I had 36points.
    So, I was full of hope going there today!

Had a shocker of a front 9.
    I was playing with 3 young lads, taking the day off from studying for the Leaving!!!
    Their combined handicaps being less than mine :(
    No other excuse other than just being rattled by them, their ability, their age...
    (3 young gents all the same)
    I've played with low guys before but they had all started shaving :)

11 out. I was praying my wife would call to say she was in labour.

Finally they start not being so brilliant, (the card I was marking had a shocker on the Par 3 8th, missed his first GIR to put him 1 over :)) and I settled in a bit more, had 17 coming in once I relaxed a bit.

28 in total, as disappointed as you can be but at least I'll have the first layer of my farmers tan!
    At least I don't have to study Maths tomorrow ;)

Feel your pain lance.

Couple of years ago I played Lucan and was told I was out with 2 juniors. Out I went to be met on the first tee by 14 and 15yr old girls waiting on me.
    They were off 5 and 7!!!!!!

They burned it up having around the 36 point mark each!!!

I played crap and just wanted to go home!

On a side note I'm sitting here watching Britains got talent and can't stop fantasising about Amanda Holden. Durt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Played 9'in county Meath this evening. First time playing there, very nice if a little straight forward. Had 21 pts off 14 for the 9 holes including a scratch on the 4th as I misjudged the direction of the dogleg from the tee box and ended up blocked out for my 2nd :(
    Playing kileen castle tomorrow at 7.45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Played in the club competition today. 36pts off 18. Puke. Chunking chips. :mad: Failed to get out of a bunker with no real lip :( . Thinning wedges from 100 yards. Erratic putting. Disgusted.

Every time I put myself into a position to score with a nice shot, I'd play a mind boggling fcuk up of a next shot.

Had put a bit of work into the chipping and all. Back to the chipping area I guess.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Played in the club competition today. 36pts off 18. Puke. Chunking chips. :mad: Failed to get out of a bunker with no real lip :( . Thinning wedges from 100 yards. Erratic putting. Disgusted.

Every time I put myself into a position to score with a nice shot, I'd play a mind boggling fcuk up of a next shot.

Had put a bit of work into the chipping and all. Back to the chipping area I guess.

Not trying to be smart here but did all these woeful shots happen on one hole? 36 points is pretty good shooting where I'm from.

Take it easy on yourself and stay with the positives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

the lawman wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart here but did all these woeful shots happen on one hole? 36 points is pretty good shooting where I'm from.

Take it easy on yourself and stay with the positives.

Must have a few shots in the bag if this is how you view your score;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

Played in monthly medal last Sunday and shot 105 off 18 . Have to say I was disappointed as I had a 8 on a par 4 and a 12 on a par 5 . From the first tee I couldn't get anything going but kept it someway together till the 8 on the 8 then a 12 on the 10 th . The only positive I can take is I never gave up and I kept trying my best . Got some good practice in during the week and am hoping to play better today in a 4 man team event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

jokser250 wrote: »
    Played in monthly medal last Sunday and shot 105 off 18 . Have to say I was disappointed as I had a 8 on a par 4 and a 12 on a par 5 . From the first tee I couldn't get anything going but kept it someway together till the 8 on the 8 then a 12 on the 10 th . The only positive I can take is I never gave up and I kept trying my best . Got some good practice in during the week and am hoping to play better today in a 4 man team event

Were you putting yourself in trouble off the Tee or were you into hazards?

I remember back a few months ago I was shanking everything and I had a 10 on a par 5. Would have been more only I thinned it onto the green 3ft from the flag after 2 drops off the tee

• Advertisement
Advertisement