Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Yeah. I haven't been to a game in a while but I have seen George play club ball and I know the Hannigans quite well and yeah he does lead teams. Has done it all through grades whether with the Rovers, Flannans or Tipp.
    Your previous post is very unfair. How many Tipperary footballers can be compared to their equivalents in Dublin, Kerry, Mayo etc and come out looking fairly strong. We cant compare ourselves in most respects to those counties as they will get much better players in general due to having more playing gaelic than here and its also the top sport in most of those counties which is not the case here in Tipp
    George is a very good player and his 9 years in the squad show that

All I was asking was why as it makes no sense why you do put a space....

:D I`m not the only one questioning his ability here , you are defending him because you know the family ffs , I know most of his family also ! You said he has shown leadership , where exactly , how many times has he Captained the County ?

Why does it bother you that I leave a space , second time you have asked ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Xenophile wrote: »
    Now that I have put my thoughts out there I will let it go. What is interesting is how you could not let it go and chose to personalise the subject without making any contribution to the debate, but instead chose to vent your anger.

Even as a true Tipp fan I realise that we have learned and are still learning a lot from Cody and Kilkenny, we are not the centre of the universe and most hurling fans have no problem in admitting that Kilkenny have raised the profile of hurling and they have done a lot to create a much bigger interest in the game.

Now having said that I am looking forward to hurling championship with so many top quality teams with Tipp in there with so many with every chance of bringing home the Liam McCarthy Trophy.

In fairness lads its to Premier view most online lurkers I know go to catch up on line....

Anyone hear anything about Creedon instructing his players not to play hurling for their clubs? An absolute disgrace if true.

Tipperary Junior Football team v Waterford :

Gearóid Slattery (Cashel), Ger Hally (Cahir), Daragh Kearney (Clonmel Óg), Donal Lynch Capt. (Clonmel Commercials), Kevin Fahey (Clonmel Commercials), Luke Boland (Moyle Rovers), Donough Leahy (Arravale Rovers), Aldo Mattassa (Clonmel Commercials), Martin Dunne (Moyle Rovers), Dean McEnroe (JK Brackens), Niall McKenna (Cahir), Shane Leahy (Arravale Rovers), Alan O'Riordan (JK Brackens), Dean Lonergan (Cahir), Kevin Fox (Éire Óg Annacarty).

Gearóid Slattery (Cashel), Ger Hally (Cahir), Daragh Kearney (Clonmel Óg), Donal Lynch Capt. (Clonmel Commercials), Kevin Fahey (Clonmel Commercials), Luke Boland (Moyle Rovers), Donough Leahy (Arravale Rovers), Aldo Mattassa (Clonmel Commercials), Martin Dunne (Moyle Rovers), Dean McEnroe (JK Brackens), Niall McKenna (Cahir), Shane Leahy (Arravale Rovers), Alan O'Riordan (JK Brackens), Dean Lonergan (Cahir), Kevin Fox (Éire Óg Annacarty).

Thats a fair decent team that could go very very far in that competition. Kevin Fahey and Boland are both very good u21s and are both playing Sigerson afaik (Boland for ITCarlow certainly). The Leahy twins, Dean McEnroe, Aldo Matassa, Gearoid Slattery...all have unreal county experience.

Where are the likes of Johnny Cagney or Sean Carey these times?

In fairness lads its to Premier view most online lurkers I know go to catch up on line....

Anyone hear anything about Creedon instructing his players not to play hurling for their clubs? An absolute disgrace if true

Well in fairness, Colin O'Riordan said Creedon is very very supportive of the fact he plays two codes for club and county and accommodates him as best as he can (why the hell wouldnt you?) There is plenty of hurling coaches doing the other way around so it works both ways you know.

• Advertisement

Thats a fair decent team that could go very very far in that competition. Kevin Fahey and Boland are both very good u21s and are both playing Sigerson afaik (Boland for ITCarlow certainly). The Leahy twins, Dean McEnroe, Aldo Matassa, Gearoid Slattery...all have unreal county experience.

Where are the likes of Johnny Cagney or Sean Carey these times?

Don`t know about Cagney but Carey is in Perth , Oz , for the last couple of years . Interesting no one from Loughmore on the B Team either , good to see a good few Cahir lads though after their efforts last year .

Anyone hear anything about Creedon instructing his players not to play hurling for their clubs? An absolute disgrace if true.

Be very surprised if Creedon said that , he`d know word would get out and the reaction it would get !

Don`t know about Cagney but Carey is in Perth , Oz , for the last couple of years . Interesting no one from Loughmore on the B Team either , good to see a good few Cahir lads though after their efforts last year .

Is Liam Casey on either panel?

Senior Team for Sunday :

Evan Comerford (Kilsheelan Kilcash), Paddy Codd Capt. (Killenaule), Ciarán McDonald (Aherlow), Robbie Kiely (Carbery Rangers), Seamus Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials), Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers), Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers), Steven O’Brien (Ballina), George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers), Colin O’Riordan (J K Brackens), Philip Austin (Borrisokane), Ger Mulhaire (Arravale Rovers), Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen), Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials), Brian Fox (Éire Óg Annacarty).

Is Liam Casey on either panel?

Senior Panel .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Senior Team for Sunday :

Evan Comerford (Kilsheelan Kilcash), Paddy Codd Capt. (Killenaule), Ciarán McDonald (Aherlow), Robbie Kiely (Carbery Rangers), Seamus Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials), Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers), Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers), Steven O’Brien (Ballina), George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers), Colin O’Riordan (J K Brackens), Philip Austin (Borrisokane), Ger Mulhaire (Arravale Rovers), Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen), Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials), Brian Fox (Éire Óg Annacarty).
    Evan Comerford (Kilsheelan/Kilcash)

Paddy Codd Capt (Killenaule) Ciarán McDonald (Aherlow) Robbie Kiely (Carbery)

Seamus Kennedy (Commercials) Peter Acheson (Moyle) Alan Campbell (Moyle)

Steven O’Brien (Ballina) George Hannigan (Shannon R)

Colin O’Riordan ( Brackens) Philip Austin (Borrisokane) Ger Mulhaire (Arravale)

Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen) Michael Quinlivan (Commercials) Brian Fox (Annacarty)

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Good to see the Good doctor Ciaran Mcdonald back. It was believed his injury back last year was said to be career threatening was it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Jez, its not like a hurling manager would never say that!!

Senior Team for Sunday :

Expect a lot of positional changes by throw in. I would be nervous of Waterford, they could cause a shock.

Thats a very very strong team, a lot of players there with senior experience.

Does anyone know whats the story is with county junior football? I thought it was only junior and intermediate clubs that could represent their players.

As the season goes on, can any of these players be promoted to the senior squad, in the case of injuries or suspensions?

Surprised to see a decent player like Donagh Leahy in there though I think he missed the league as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Dermot Shortt the Offaly hurling full back was sent off by Brian Gavin in the challenge last night, pulled a few rough strokes apparently. Larry got 2-4 but it was a pretty loose sort of a game from what I heard. It finished 6-17 to 1-27, Tipp won.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Was that played behind closed doors do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

buggy beag wrote: »
    Was that played behind closed doors do you know?

A few biffos got in but EOS told them if they didn't close the gates the game would't go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    A few biffos got in but EOS told them if they didn't close the gates the game would't go ahead.

you'd wonder what's the 'behind closed doors' about. That'd be grand but I'm sure if Tipp had a specific game plan or god willing a secret weapon keeping it in house would be doable but surely the offaly lads would talk?

Paddico wrote: »
    Thats a very very strong team, a lot of players there with senior experience.

Does anyone know whats the story is with county junior football? I thought it was only junior and intermediate clubs that could represent their players.

As the season goes on, can any of these players be promoted to the senior squad, in the case of injuries or suspensions?

Surprised to see a decent player like Donagh Leahy in there though I think he missed the league as well

For those on here that are unable to use Google :D , got this of Wikipedia :

The All-Ireland Junior Football Championship is a GAA competition for junior Gaelic football inter-county teams in Ireland. The definition of what constitutes a junior player differs from county to county. In some, the junior team is the second team after the senior team. This means that any players who have not played with the senior team can play with the junior team. In others, such as Cork and Kerry, players can only be chosen from clubs that play in junior or intermediate grades. These counties cannot choose players from senior clubs, even if they are not on the senior county team. When a team wins this championship, it has to pick a new team for the following year. No player can thus be on a winning team for two successive years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

:D I`m not the only one questioning his ability here, you are defending him because you know the family ffs, I know most of his family also! You said he has shown leadership, where exactly, how many times has he Captained the County?

Why does it bother you that I leave a space, second time you have asked?
    Im defending him as you're argument for why he shouldnt be playing is crazy. All the management teams of the past x years have selected him.
    You dont have to be a captain of a team to show leadership. Leadership comes from many different ways and means.

Its strange, not normal. that's why i asked...
    digzy wrote: »
    you'd wonder what's the 'behind closed doors' about. That'd be grand but I'm sure if Tipp had a specific game plan or god willing a secret weapon keeping it in house would be doable but surely the offaly lads would talk?
    Coaches want to keep things private. Maybe both sides want it to try things out. I know in other sports behind closed doors games mean rules around subs are different so could that have been a reason?

Im defending him as you're argument for why he shouldnt be playing is crazy. All the management teams of the past x years have selected him.
    You dont have to be a captain of a team to show leadership. Leadership comes from many different ways and means.

Its strange, not normal. that's why i asked...

Coaches want to keep things private. Maybe both sides want it to try things out. I know in other sports behind closed doors games mean rules around subs are different so could that have been a reason?

You are defending Georges Footballing "ability" for Tipp yet you don`t go to Tipp games , that`s what is crazy ! Those that see him regularly know his true "ability" . His fielding is average ( being generous here ) and his distribution is shocking , I`ll give you one example , Limerick in the League this year he got the ball on the 45 , passes either side of him , instead of going for the simple option either side , Quinlivan is in front of his man near the penalty spot , George goes for a 30 Meterish pass .................. Quinlivan done well to stop the ball from going for a sideline ! ! ! The groan from the crowd must have been heard in The Square in Thurles ( game was in Semple ) .
    He has been selected because he is big , strong and fit . Now there are young lads who have Footballing ability in the County . Hannigan has only played Division 3 and 4 Football . It`s Footballers we need in Division 2 and 1 when we get there , those lads are there now and there`s more on the way !

You are defending Georges Footballing "ability" for Tipp yet you don`t go to Tipp games, that`s what is crazy! Those that see him regularly know his true "ability". His fielding is average (being generous here) and his distribution is shocking, I`ll give you one example, Limerick in the League this year he got the ball on the 45, passes either side of him, instead of going for the simple option either side, Quinlivan is in front of his man near the penalty spot, George goes for a 30 Meterish pass .................. Quinlivan done well to stop the ball from going for a sideline!!! The groan from the crowd must have been heard in The Square in Thurles (game was in Semple).
    He has been selected because he is big, strong and fit. Now there are young lads who have Footballing ability in the County. Hannigan has only played Division 3 and 4 Football. Its Footballers we need in Division 2 and 1 when we get there, those lads are there now and theres more on the way
    I dont go to Tipp games often but have seen him play club ball.
    He is a good, strong carrier of the ball.
    We have been to Division 2 how much?
    your criticisms are very OTT. Why so much criticism of just George? Nothing on all other players anything near the crap you are going on about against George.
    He is big, strong with good movement and he has a strong pedigree of under=age ball, making national u17 compromise rules team etc

I dont go to Tipp games often but have seen him play club ball.
    He is a good, strong carrier of the ball.
    We have been to Division 2 how much?
    your criticisms are very OTT. Why so much criticism of just George? Nothing on all other players anything near the crap you are going on about against George.
    He is big, strong with good movement and he has a strong pedigree of under=age ball, making national u17 compromise rules team etc

Big difference between "Club ball" and Inter County for a start and we are discussing his ability at Inter County level here ! I have said he is a big , strong , fit lad . Been in Division 2 one season and went straight back down with George in the Team , says a lot , not a one man team by any means but still telling . As for criticisms , I am giving my opinion on what I have seen of him , was at 4 League games this year , 5 last year plus 2 Championship games , only for work it would have been more , all in all I have seen him in action for the County maybe 30 times give or take therefore I feel I am entitled to give an honest opinion . I have nothing against the lad , he is a trier . He had a strong pedigree underage but unfortunately didn`t fulfill his potential . Can`t say I remember a game where he was MoM !

Big difference between "Club ball" and Inter County for a start and we are discussing his ability at Inter County level here! I have said he is a big, strong, fit lad. Been in Division 2 one season and went straight back down with George in the Team, says a lot, not a one man team by any means but still telling. As for criticisms, I am giving my opinion on what I have seen of him, was at 4 League games this year, 5 last year plus 2 Championship games, only for work it would have been more, all in all I have seen him in action for the County maybe 30 times give or take therefore I feel I am entitled to give an honest opinion. I have nothing against the lad, he is a trier. He had a strong pedigree underage but unfortunately didnt fulfill his potential. Can`t say I remember a game where he was MoM !
    That's a ridiculous argument. Barry Grogan, Philip Austin etc as well. I suppose its telling about ability of all players who were in the tipp team that went up to division 2 and went straight back down.
    How is that ridiculous argument telling about George's ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Is Tipp gunner not around to wade into this one?;)

That's a ridiculous argument. Barry Grogan, Philip Austin etc as well. I suppose its telling about ability of all players who were in the tipp team that went up to division 2 and went straight back down.
    How is that ridiculous argument telling about George's ability?

You left out the rest of the sentence ;) . Don`t think it`s ridiculous at all , what is ridiculous is you defending him when you don`t go to Tipp games and see him play ! I was at 3 games that I can think of that year we were in D2 and once again can`t remember him standing out . I have mentioned other things not just in that Post but in other Posts also where he is not a good Footballer , you failed to comment on them . Have also mentioned his few strengths . All in all he has served a purpose in an era of change but there are a lot of lads out there now way better than him .

Surprised the Aussie Rules boys weren`t queuing up for him after the Under 17 series :D .

Any of you on Facebook , can you go to the following Page and give Colin a vote for Under 21 Football Player of the year , just like the Pic to vote . Voting closes tomorrow night , he`s well ahead at the moment , up against 2 Tyrone lads which splits their vote :) . Can you encourage others to do so as well ?

https://www.facebook.com/officialgaa/photos/a.861297897273288.1073742059.233111003425317/861297910606620/?type=1&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The 11 Tipperary men involved in Kerry and Kildare’s Christy Ring Cup semi-final

http://www.the42.ie/tipperary-hurling-kerry-kildare-christy-ring-cup-2133535-May2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The 11 Tipperary men involved in Kerry and Kildare’s Christy Ring Cup semi-final

http://www.the42.ie/tipperary-hurling-kerry-kildare-christy-ring-cup-2133535-May2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Kerry absolutely stuffed Kildare 6:27 to 0:09.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement