Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Have Tipperary Senior Footballers ever played Waterford in the Munster Championship before in Semple Stadium?

Not a trick question, just curious as I do not have records!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

For my sins I watched Burgess Portroe. ****e game. Port have plenty of decent hurlers who can move well but theyre such a filthy team. So cynical etc
    that its ridiculous. They should have had a red card or two for two yellows for pulling jerseys etc etc
    Port won but wont go to far.

I was nearly going to it but headed to Templemore instead, it was a good decision in hindsight. Brian Hogan in goal for Lorrha looks to have the makings of a good keeper, nice to see the likes of him and Paul Maher coming as options for Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Limerick again - in the Gaelic Grounds. Regardless of how many are dismissive of Limerick's standard of play yesterday - they showed real bottle yesterday and won again in the last few minutes of a contest. They've found an extra bit of class in Lynch in the corner with Breen to come back. They've beaten us twice in a row - going for the hat-trick - ran KK to a point in Croker last year. They've got a game under their belts now, oiled the machine - know where they have to improve for Tipp. They'll have real belief that they can beat Tipp due to winning the last two years. I don't think Declan Hannon will be as bad again - but he was up against a class act in Conor Ryan. I don't think Limerick or Clare will be too far away this year

This will be a serious serious test of our lads. A real test. All I want to see is a plan for our defence. It's great having intricate forward play but must show more ruthlessness in terms of making plans for the opposition - like I felt Cahill should have picked up Ritchie Hogan in the finals last year. We have to shore up the space around Dowling and Hannon. Limerick hurl with overwhelming emotion and pride - we can't let that develop again. We place a lot of store in goals to the point if we don't get them, we lose. We need to develop a confidence that does not require goals galore because there will be days when goals won't happen.

Limerick at home - apart from KK in Nowlan - there's not a tougher test out there. I've faith in the tipp lads to pull it out - but, it's going to be rock hard to dig out the result. Go on Tipp!

Xenophile wrote: »
    Have Tipperary Senior Footballers ever played Waterford in the Munster Championship before in Semple Stadium?

The answer to the above question as confirmed by people in the know is NO.

So well done to the Footballers for at long last establishing their home in Tipp's GAA Headquarters.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

The answer to the above question as confirmed by people in the know is NO.

So well done to the Footballers for at long last establishing their home in Tipp's GAA Headquarters.

Tipp definitely played Waterford in the Munster Senior Football Championship at Semple Stadium in 1994. Peter Lambert scored a couple of goals from play & Brian Burke got one from a penalty. Don't remember much else but I think Brendan Cummins was also playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I was looking for footage of Cummins scoring points against Crk - nothing on youtube - disaster. Tasty footballer - people forget how much of GAA legend this guy is. One of those complete Gaa players of his generation if not the top dog. He should enter the long kick too

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Limerick again - in the Gaelic Grounds. Regardless of how many are dismissive of Limerick's standard of play yesterday - they showed real bottle yesterday and won again in the last few minutes of a contest. They've found an extra bit of class in Lynch in the corner with Breen to come back. They've beaten us twice in a row - going for the hat-trick - ran KK to a point in Croker last year. They've got a game under their belts now, oiled the machine - know where they have to improve for Tipp. They'll have real belief that they can beat Tipp due to winning the last two years. I don't think Declan Hannon will be as bad again - but he was up against a class act in Conor Ryan. I don't think Limerick or Clare will be too far away this year

This will be a serious serious test of our lads. A real test. All I want to see is a plan for our defence. It's great having intricate forward play but must show more ruthlessness in terms of making plans for the opposition - like I felt Cahill should have picked up Ritchie Hogan in the finals last year. We have to shore up the space around Dowling and Hannon. Limerick hurl with overwhelming emotion and pride - we can't let that develop again. We place a lot of store in goals to the point if we don't get them, we lose. We need to develop a confidence that does not require goals galore because there will be days when goals won't happen.

Limerick at home - apart from KK in Nowlan - there's not a tougher test out there. I've faith in the tipp lads to pull it out - but, it's going to be rock hard to dig out the result. Go on Tipp!

I think this year might be different for ye if ye get the tactics right. McCarthy cleaned Callanan out of it last year and I think ye should try someone smaller and quicker and with less of a golf swing on him. Shane O'Donnell cleaned him out. Maybe someone like Niall O'Meara, drag him out of the box a good bit. The other factor that needs to be watched is the Limerick long rangers from half-back and midfield, Tipp need to crowd that area of the field to stop them from having free goes. James Ryan was was closed out so many times the last day just as he was about to fire one off and Tipp need to be that intense too. Woodlock and McGrath are not the tightest of markers though which is the problem. I'd play an extra midfielder and leave space inside for players like O'Meara, McGrath & the Bonnar.

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Tipp definitely played Waterford in the Munster Senior Football Championship at Semple Stadium in 1994. Peter Lambert scored a couple of goals from play & Brian Burke got one from a penalty. Don't remember much else but I think Brendan Cummins was also playing.

Absolutely correct they played there in the Munster Semi Final on June 26th 1994.
    Result: Tipperary 5.14........Waterford 0.15.

Maybe programme notes might read....... " we welcome back the Waterford Senior Footballers to Semple Stadium after an absence of 21 years........................."

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

No surprise there! Sure what's the rush, won't they qualify for the county as north winners as usual?

McDonaghs should be made compete in the Mid Championship and earn the right to play in the County knock out stages like every other Club . "North Winners" is an absolute farce when there is no Championship as such !

I heard Sherco and PaddyPower have sent letters of complaint to the County Board after losing large sums of money on the Drom Kilruane and Sars Kildangan games. It looks like sour grapes from the bookies, upsets will happen in all sports and they generally suit the bookmakers.

• Advertisement

Absolutely correct they played there in the Munster Semi Final on June 26th 1994.
    Result: Tipperary 5.14........Waterford 0.15.

Maybe programme notes might read....... " we welcome back the Waterford Senior Footballers to Semple Stadium after an absence of 21 years........................."

Tipp 1-10 to win , were 1-8 this morning , never seen a Tipp Senior Football Team as short a price for a Championship game !

Tipp 1-10 to win , were 1-8 this morning , never seen a Tipp Senior Football Team as short a price for a Championship game !

For a minute I thought the above was telling me the final score. Will be great to see Colin O'Riordan and Steven O'Brien lording it in midfield. I wonder will Bill Maher be on the team he certainly deserves to be, if he wants to.

By the way I have said it before and I will say it again this thread should not be hiding out in "Regions" then "Midwest" but rather be located in "GAA" along with all our other rivals in both codes. I have no doubt that the thread would generate a lot more interest if placed there. Anybody looking from afar would have a job finding Mullinahone or any of the two Carrick On Suir clubs or for that matter Ballyporeen in the "Midwest".

Cannot see what sense there is to opening a New Thread here every year, if it was an open thread, continuity would be guaranteed each year and nobody would have the responsibility of opening a new thread each year as when posts were maxed out the Moderator would automatically open a continuation thread.
    Searching history for previous years would be a lot easier, take for example Kilkenny the number of posts on the GAA forum stands currently at 7679 posts over seven times greater than Tipperary, you can imagine how many more posts Kilkenny would have if they were a dual county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Xenophile wrote:
    Cannot see what sense there is to opening a New Thread here every year, if it was an open thread, continuity would be guaranteed each year and nobody would have the responsibility of opening a new thread each year as when posts were maxed out the Moderator would automatically open a continuation thread. Searching history for previous years would be a lot easier, take for example Kilkenny the number of posts on the GAA forum stands currently at 7679 posts over seven times greater than Tipperary, you can imagine how many more posts Kilkenny would have if they were a dual county.

Xenophile wrote:
    Cannot see what sense there is to opening a New Thread here every year, if it was an open thread, continuity would be guaranteed each year and nobody would have the responsibility of opening a new thread each year as when posts were maxed out the Moderator would automatically open a continuation thread. Searching history for previous years would be a lot easier, take for example Kilkenny the number of posts on the GAA forum stands currently at 7679 posts over seven times greater than Tipperary, you can imagine how many more posts Kilkenny would have if they were a dual county.

Let it go. You bring this up every few months and the majority of us chose to keep it like this so stop whinging cos you didn't get your way.
    Who gives a **** about kilkennys thread and the number of posts they have

OAOB wrote: »
    Let it go. You bring this up every few months and the majority of us chose to keep it like this so stop whinging cos you didn't get your way.
    Who gives a **** about kilkennys thread and the number of posts they have

Now that I have put my thoughts out there I will let it go. What is interesting is how you could not let it go and chose to personalise the subject without making any contribution to the debate, but instead chose to vent your anger.

Even as a true Tipp fan I realise that we have learned and are still learning a lot from Cody and Kilkenny, we are not the centre of the universe and most hurling fans have no problem in admitting that Kilkenny have raised the profile of hurling and they have done a lot to create a much bigger interest in the game.

Now having said that I am looking forward to hurling championship with so many top quality teams with Tipp in there with so many with every chance of bringing home the Liam McCarthy Trophy.

Tipp playing Offaly in a challenge in Birr tomorrow, behinds closed doors apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Paddico

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Tipp playing Offaly in a challenge in Birr tomorrow, behinds closed doors apparently.

I'm guessing thats hurling.
    Did Tipp have any football challenges

Paddico wrote: »
    I'm guessing thats hurling.
    Did Tipp have any football challenges

Lost to Longford , beat Limerick and Wexford .

Paul Curran spoke about his Tipp career on Tipp FM Monday night a friend told me but I can't see a link for it on the website. Anyone able to help me out?

Lost to Longford , beat Limerick and Wexford .

Any chance that Bill Maher, Kilsheelan will be on the team sheet on Sunday?

• Advertisement

Any chance that Bill Maher, Kilsheelan will be on the team sheet on Sunday?

Unlikely , expect Hannigan and O`Brien Midfield , with Kiely , Acheson and O`Riordan on the Half Back line .

Unlikely , expect Hannigan and O`Brien Midfield , with Kiely , Acheson and O`Riordan on the Half Back line .

How the hell is Hannigan keeping his place when we have O'Riordan, Stevie O'brien, and Fahey who can all do a job in the middle while Bill could easily slot back to number 7? Ross Mulcahy could be considered for a wing back role too he acquited himself so well

How the hell is Hannigan keeping his place when we have O'Riordan, Stevie O'brien, and Fahey who can all do a job in the middle while Bill could easily slot back to number 7? Ross Mulcahy could be considered for a wing back role too he acquited himself so well

Hey , I don`t pick the Team :D , but that`s how it`s going to be I reckon . Regular Readers know my view on George , and it would be the same as yours .

Hey , I don`t pick the Team :D , but that`s how it`s going to be I reckon . Regular Readers know my view on George , and it would be the same as yours .

Not giving out to you Spirit but its mad how Creedon is so reluctant to take a chance and give some of these youngsters their reward. He's a great guy Georgie and id keep him on the panel for sure but no way should he start. Time to start bringing in the kids i think and take a risk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Experience, leadership???
    Hey, I don`t pick the Team :D, but that`s how it`s going to be I reckon. Regular Readers know my view on George , and it would be the same as yours.
    Spirit why all spaces between commas full stops etc... just curious....
    Not giving out to you Spirit but its mad how Creedon is so reluctant to take a chance and give some of these youngsters their reward. He's a great guy Georgie and id keep him on the panel for sure but no way should he start. Time to start bringing in the kids i think and take a risk
    I don't see him as reluctant in use of younger players, He has used some very good young players and I suppose he doesn't want to use too many at one time and may try phase them in. George has huge experience and that's vital especially when you are trying to introduce lots of young players with little senior experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I have played against fahey myself and while a fine footballer, I don't think he's strong enough to play at midfield at senior level yet. That's not in any way meant as a slight against him, just that it's too early for him to play there against more physical and experienced midfielders

I see Seamus Kennedy starts on Sunday. Good for him. A Hurler and footballer i have absolutely great time for.

http://www.nationalist.ie/sport/home-is-in-the-nire-but-seamus-kennedy-s-heart-is-in-tipperary-1-6767264

Experience, leadership???

Spirit why all spaces between commas full stops etc... just curious....

I don't see him as reluctant in use of younger players, He has used some very good young players and I suppose he doesn't want to use too many at one time and may try phase them in. George has huge experience and that's vital especially when you are trying to introduce lots of young players with little senior experience

Leadership from George :eek: , you told us a while ago it`s been a long time since you were at a Tipp Football game , you won`t find leadership from him .

Try to keep up , this is the second time you have asked about the spaces between the commas , I refer you to Post #323 ;) !

I see Seamus Kennedy starts on Sunday. Good for him. A Hurler and footballer i have absolutely great time for.

http://www.nationalist.ie/sport/home-is-in-the-nire-but-seamus-kennedy-s-heart-is-in-tipperary-1-6767264

Would like to see him start , team to be announced tonight or tomorrow .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Leadership from George :eek: , you told us a while ago it`s been a long time since you were at a Tipp Football game , you won`t find leadership from him .

Try to keep up, this is the second time you have asked about the spaces between the commas, I refer you to Post #323 ;) !
    Yeah. I haven't been to a game in a while but I have seen George play club ball and I know the Hannigans quite well and yeah he does lead teams. Has done it all through grades whether with the Rovers, Flannans or Tipp.
    Your previous post is very unfair. How many Tipperary footballers can be compared to their equivalents in Dublin, Kerry, Mayo etc and come out looking fairly strong. We cant compare ourselves in most respects to those counties as they will get much better players in general due to having more playing gaelic than here and its also the top sport in most of those counties which is not the case here in Tipp
    George is a very good player and his 9 years in the squad show that

All I was asking was why as it makes no sense why you do put a space....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement