Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowley leaves ALDE - next to leave FF?

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

It seems to be a none issue expect in the minds of those obsessed with FF. It shouldn't have happened but all the same I am not hearing too many people outside of the political anoraks discussing it. I can see Crowley being brought back into the fold down the line.

So even after Crowley stabbed the party in the back, they will still take him back.

Now there's a party built on principles and courage.

Its no wonder Michael martin is gone into hiding!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

So even after Crowley stabbed the party in the back, they will still take him back.

Now there's a party built on principles and courage.

Its no wonder Michael martin is gone into hiding!

FF paid for the campaign? That's gratitude, lol. Crowley knows he does not need FF, but poor FF need him, their only MEP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

dlouth15 wrote: »
    If you were a Fianna Fail supporter you would also be browned off that all the other parties are doing their best to undermine Fianna Fail.

But of course you're not a Fainna Fail supporter and so you are not bothered by misfortune for Fianna Fail, their policies, or the wishes of the supporters of Fianna Fail.

Why are you now bothered that one of their MEPs (let's leave aside for the moment that it's their only MEP) has defected from the FF EU group, ALDE?

You agree that he's perfectly entitled to do so? You agree that he's perfectly entitled to act as he sees fit once elected?

Do you agree that it is important for TDs and MEPs to have the power to disobey the party whip if they feel it sufficiently important (subject to party discipline)?

I do not agree. He's entitled to leave Fianna Fáil and join Clown School, but as a member of a party which in the least gives lip service to having a point, anyone signed up to that should follow that line while a card carrying member. It's called being who you say you are. Standing for what you claim to stand for. And no I'm not a Fianna Fáil supporter for reasons obvious to any Irish person not getting slurry directly from the Fianna Fáil trough, but It does concern me as sadly these people have governed over me and mine for more of my life than any other party.
    One of the saddest things about staunch supporters of any party is the 'us and them' attitude. After an election we are all in it together with whomever gets elected. 'Us and them' is nonsense and pathetic.
    Enjoy your view from behind the Fianna Fail battlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

It seems to be a none issue expect in the minds of those obsessed with FF. It shouldn't have happened but all the same I am not hearing too many people outside of the political anoraks discussing it. I can see Crowley being brought back into the fold down the line.
    What seems to me missing is the outraged Munster voters who actually voted for Crowley. There must be a few of them with boards accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

What seems to me missing is the outraged Munster voters who actually voted for Crowley. There must be a few of them with boards accounts.

We voted for a Munster MEP. Given Brian's MEP track record, given Brian's FF record, given his vote, he'd have been elected if he came out as a Donald Duck Party candidate.

And in any even FF have NOTHING to with the EU Parliament.

TO BE PERFECTLY HONEST, there is no such thing as a "PARTY" MEP.

And for those who actually understand this, Brian, elected with such a surplus that defies just party support, FF are not that strong, it's a pity he could not command three seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

http://www.votewatch.eu/en/brian-crowley.html

What record? Have a look at his voting record in Europe .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Have a look at Brian's biography on his website.

There is NO mention of Fianna Fail anywhere.

Your party has been a millstone around his neck for years.

Have you seen his biography?

http://briancrowleymep.ie
    Bottom right hand corner.

Unless there is another page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

airuser wrote: »
    http://briancrowleymep.ie
    Bottom right hand corner.

Unless there is another page

http://briancrowleymep.ie/about/

His biography

For Reals wrote: »
    I do not agree. He's entitled to leave Fianna Fáil and join Clown School, but as a member of a party which in the least gives lip service to having a point, anyone signed up to that should follow that line while a card carrying member. It's called being who you say you are. Standing for what you claim to stand for. And no I'm not a Fianna Fáil supporter for reasons obvious to any Irish person not getting slurry directly from the Fianna Fáil trough, but It does concern me as sadly these people have governed over me and mine for more of my life than any other party.
    It is still a mystery to me why you would value blind loyalty to the Fainna Fail party when you don't support Fianna Fail.

Yes, you may argue that the people who voted for Crowley have been let down by his move but surely that is for his constituents to decide. What if EU parliamentary group membership was simply not an issue for them in their voting decision? I'm not saying that is necessarily the case, but I'm not hearing great outrage at least on this thread from anyone who actually voted for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

Was not in the slightest bit surprised when I heard this. Nothing surprises me when it comes to fianna fail. At the end of the day, you can take the man out of fianna fail but you can't take the fianna fail out of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

He ran as a FF representative,he took money from FF for his campaign,in every broadcast in the land and media he was touted as the FF candidate and not an argument from his majesty to put this right.

The man has an ego the size of munster,he could have bought in two seats for FF in every election(whom least we forget he was representing)but his ego would not let him water down his treble quota.

He defrauded the electorate by running on a FF ticket while he knew that he was going from the party after the election.

He has joined a party set up by Torys with a gathering of Unionists,Facists,racists,homophobics and right wing looneys,he knew this would not fly,so he decided to stick with the parties that would get the votes(and money) for him and switch straight after the election,if this is not at the very least misrepresentation,I don't know what is.

I don't think the electorate would have been to enamoured with him if they knew this before the election and if they did not know what party he was affiliated with in Europe before this they do now.

He thinks this might improve his chances at a run for the Aras but I hope he has someone with honesty and princples running against him like Nessa Childers who will wipe the floor with him,who will he look to throw his toys out of the pram at then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

It is still a mystery to me why you would value blind loyalty to the Fainna Fail party when you don't support Fianna Fail.

Yes, you may argue that the people who voted for Crowley have been let down by his move but surely that is for his constituents to decide. What if EU parliamentary group membership was simply not an issue for them in their voting decision? I'm not saying that is necessarily the case, but I'm not hearing great outrage at least on this thread from anyone who actually voted for him.

Look at my previous posts on this. Once the votes are cast, parties are an aside for me. We have who has been elected. They govern us. My point is a person who runs under one flag and then turns out to be something else should not be commended for being true to themselves or other such nonsense. When Fianna Fáil get back in, should I have no comment or opinion on that government just because I know they are anti-Irish/pro-Fianna Fáil?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Crowley was fairly elected by the people of Munster. For whatever reason, he decided not to be a member of the EU parliamentary group to which FF was aligned and instead joined another one.
    Let's reframe the discussion slightly.

Imagine, if you would, that Mary Lou was running as a Sinn Féin candidate in the last general election, won handily, and the day after the election resigned from Sinn Féin and joined Fine Gael.

Are you arguing that those who voted for her would have no problem with her doing so?

When I was deciding who to vote for, the EP grouping they were aligned with was a key factor in my decision making. If one of the candidates I voted for had switched allegiance after the election, I would be pissed.
    petronius wrote: »
    The media depicting the new grouping as Eurosceptic and Rightwing shows their own inclination and bias for the status quo.
    It is not so long ago that FF did consider joining a grouping with the Tories as members.
    It is also not so long ago that FG was sitting side by side with the Tories as members of the EPP
    Disingenuous. It's not the fact of alignment with the Tories that's the issue, so much as the fact that the Tories have shifted politically to the right and towards Euroskepticism, and that Crowley has apparently shifted with them (but forgot to tell the electorate about his change of heart until after they had elected him).

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Are you arguing that those who voted for her would have no problem with her doing so?
    No. Have another read of my posts on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tipptom wrote: »
    I hope he has someone with honesty and princples running against him like Nessa Childers who will wipe the floor with him

lol, she's even worse than Crowley, jumping ship repeatedly, and keeping her maiden name purely for name recognition purposes come election time.

lol, she's even worse than Crowley, jumping ship repeatedly, and keeping her maiden name purely for name recognition purposes come election time.

Find me an"honest"politician . They will do and say what will benefit themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Many married ladies use their maiden name at work, not just politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

nuac wrote: »
    Many married ladies use their maiden name at work, not just politicians

I'd probably say most, if one just looks at married female teachers, they are usually still Miss ~ Own Name and some are Miss New Name. :)

Advertisement