Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government defeats byelection motion

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Jaysoose wrote: »
    IS there a bigger waste of money and resources than the seanad?

Bunch of useless td's ranting and raving in the 'back room'

In it's current form - no. It is a waste of resources as it has no real legitimate function. That said though, if there were to be a meaningful reform and if we had a house that could strike down bills and force amendments then we may hav fewer instances of majority parties falling into bed with anyone and promising the earth moon and stars in a desperate attempt to cement a majority in the Dail no matter what the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Its a disgrace in a democracy that these 3 constituencies are not represented all because it is the shambolic FF putting its interests before democracy and the interests of the nation.
    Those constituencies have 9 TDs between them, hardly unrepresented. Okay they shoud have 12, but if there's a referendum due, they should be held the same day.
    Are you telling me between Labour, FG and the independents we cant put together a decent opposition?
    Quite clearly not. I was at a Fianna Fáil Comhairle Ceantair meeting on Monday and the common feeling is that the opposition is the only thing keeping the government in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ninty9er wrote: »
    Quite clearly not. I was at a Fianna Fáil Comhairle Ceantair meeting on Monday and the common feeling is that the opposition is the only thing keeping the government in power.

That's a pretty bull****, snide remark to be honest, considering that it's up to the government to set a date for the election, or up to those with ethics to vote against some of the ****e they've landed on us.

What, pray tell, could the opposition actually do to not "keep this government in power" ? Do enlighten us, and I'll get them to do it on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

It is actually a lot more to do with having backbenchers in the party who have no backbone whatsoever. It has more to do with a green party that prefer to be complete and utter lapdogs than do what is right for the country. It has more to do with gombeen independents continually voting with this dreadful government who is slowly destroying our country all because they get promised a shiny new community centre or some potholes filled in their contituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Those constituencies have 9 TDs between them, hardly unrepresented. Okay they shoud have 12, but if there's a referendum due, they should be held the same day.

Such a diverse bunch comprised of great thinkers and defenders of the vulnerable must have been present at the meeting of yours. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

In practical terms (ie. getting a majority and defeating a government) there isn't much the opposition can do at this stage.

Having said that there's a lot more they could do in terms of policy and credibility. Both FG and Labour currently lack these imo, FG particularly the latter and Labour the former. Fine Gael need to convince people they offer something genuinely different from Fianna Fail. Labour on the other hand need to actually spell out what their policies on many issues actually are.

It might be unpopular to say but going on current evidence its unclear whether a change to the opposition would be change for the better. And I know lots of people who feel like this, not FF supporters either. Its up to the opposition parties to make a case for change and not simply accept that they'll eventually win an election down the line, being a supposedly less bad alternative to FF.

I'd largely agree with ninty9er, the lack of clear alternatives are really helping such an unpopular government to stay in power without much difficulty atm.

Marshy wrote: »
    In practical terms (ie. getting a majority and defeating a government) there isn't much the opposition can do at this stage.

They can't do anything about the fact that democracy is being subverted either.
    Marshy wrote: »
    I'd largely agree with ninty9er, the lack of clear alternatives are really helping such an unpopular government to stay in power without much difficulty atm.

That's not what ninty9er said, though....
    the opposition is the only thing keeping the government in power

The opposition could be stronger, sure......they should lead by example and expose the FF lies and corruption even more. They're doing a bit of this, despite FF getting airtime to spout the usual Lehman Bros/world economy/necessary-but-unpopular decisions are the reason bull****, but they can't do a damn thing until Cowen agrees to look for a mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I feel the need to clarify.

At the last General Election, the opposition was inadaquate and that lead to it keeping the government in power.

I was at a Fianna Fáil Comhairle Ceantair meeting on Monday and the common feeling is that the opposition is the only thing keeping the government in power.
    I feel the need to clarify.

At the last General Election (i.e. about 3 years ago) , the opposition was inadaquate and that lead (presumably meaning past tense ? "led" ?) to it keeping the government in power.

Sounds like a Bertie Ahern style - ahem - "clarification" :rolleyes: to me.

I guess the perfectly clear present tense, recent meeting (Monday) and current verb don't mean a whole lot when you want to do a u-turn ? ;):D:D:D

Advertisement